Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mordja posted:

Donald Trump's tip is circumcised?

I've been in this thread for less than two hours, I'd like to return it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

nachos posted:

Is the pc version of Motorsport manager significantly different from iOS? 34.99 seems steep compared to 4 bucks or whatever the mobile price is.

Looks like the mobile version is just dots moving around a track. The PC version is completely 3D with all the cars modeled. What all can you do in the mobile version? Can you make setups, design new parts and build up your HQ?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

nachos posted:

Yes you can do all that plus the whole young driver program, hiring and firing engineers, investing in next seasons car, dilemmas, etc

I don't know then. Looking around, it seems like the PC version just adds more depth to all the features of the mobile game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Croccers posted:

IT'S VILLAGE, complete with 12320 Steam Achievements

Jesus christ, this is getting out of hand.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

We are all the Groverhaus

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there anyone who has an old copy of Portal 2 lying around (or that wants to buy a new one) that they'd be willing to trade for anything up to $25 on Amazon? I want to play some Portal 2 co-op but my game budget right now is an amazon gift card balance and Amazon doesn't have digital copies of it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/illoso/ but please either post in this thread or PM me if you want me to trade first :colbert:

Why can't you just buy a steam wallet thing from amazon?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can see how that grimoire game has been in the guy's head for 20 years, it looks like he never updated the look of his idea.

Also, did that one goon get Portal 2? Apparently I had it in my inventory the whole time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Duke Nukem Forever?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If a game is bad, they deserve to give me my money back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got this game for free on xbox but that thread is mostly just playstation people making GBS threads on the xbox. Anyway, I got slime rancher. What I'm wondering is, is there a point in playing it? Does anything happen? Is there a story? It seems to just dump me into a quick tutorial and then the full game. I go through the gameplay loop, I collect some slimes, feed them, collect their plorts, sell those, use the money to buy new corrals to collect new slimes. Is that the whole game? It had been on my steam wishlist for a while and I was glad to see I could get it for free but now i'm kind of glad I never actually bought it. If the gameplay never expands, and there's no story or goal, I don't really see the point of playing it anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mordja posted:

loving :lol:

People had already turned against WHP when they revealed that their cool trailers were just the first 10 minutes of the game and the rest of it was procgen, early-access survival.

Wait, for real? I thought We Happy Few looked pretty cool, but you're saying that most of the game is just random garbage?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I finished The Witness today. I cheated on a few puzzles because if I don't figure it out after a few minutes, I'd rather just move on with the game. Sometimes I just don't have the time, especially when the puzzles in a series sometimes go up and down in difficulty. Though I did have to use a puzzle type guide all the time because I'd forget what each symbol means between sessions.. All in all, I really enjoyed the game. The puzzles were fun and the game is very beautiful. I'm not entirely sure if it had a story. I got some kind of meaning out of the ending, but I didn't understand the optional bits. Like why am I watching a video of a guy trying to carry a candle across a windy ruin? I'll have to go back and look for the rest of the environmental puzzles and some of the other optional bits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Peewi posted:

Valve doesn't want "fake games" on Steam that exist purely to make money off cards.

Yes, Valve makes money off Steam Market sales, but it certainly doesn't help public opinion among people that think there's too much poo poo on Steam.

Why are people buying cards for fake games? This doesn't make any sense to me. Developers make fake games, put them on Steam, bots idle these games to get cards, and the cards are sold on the market. But who are the buyers? Why do they want these cards?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow, really? I bought that game years ago. I would have to think that anyone who wants it already owns it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gort posted:

Ultimate General: Civil War

Adding on to this. Skirmishers can do a lot from cover. If you hover over some ground that has cover on it, like trees or houses, a tool tip will pop up saying how much cover it has. Skirmishers in a forest with 100% cover will wreck shop on anyone who tries to get past them. I forget which battle it was, but I had to defend these two hills. I noticed that where the other side was coming from, they had to cross a river into some trees on my side. River = they move very slowly. Trees = my guys are in excellent cover and can shoot at the people in the river. I set up my brigades on the hills and had them all detach skirmishers off to those trees. I figured the skirmishers would hold them off for a bit until they had to fall back to the main defensive line. Instead, they held off the confederates for the entire first day. It wasn't until the second day that I finally had to have them fall back as the confederates had brought in so many more men. Even then, I would have them fall back to the top of a hill, hold that, and then fall back to even more trees, and they stayed there for the rest of the second day. The third day, they finally had to rejoin my brigades as the confederates had finally pushed that far in.

That brings me to my next point. If you are defending, set up your lines way out in front. Your brigades will be routed eventually and if they get stressed too much, they'll go walkabout before you can get back control of them and bring them back. By then, the rest of your line might be pushed back. This made me almost fail the first Union battle. I just set up inside the town, and eventually was pushed all the way out of it. I then had to fight my way back in and capture it.

Speaking of routing, like Gort says, have an extra brigade or some skirmishers sitting back in reserve. If a brigade gets routed, move the reserve up to fill in the hole until the routed brigade gets sorted. If you notice a brigade is getting stressed, consider having them fall back and then move in reserves. Take a brigade that isn't being hammered, replace them with a battle weary brigade and then bring the fresh one into the fight. This is better since they added in oblique movements. Brigades will no longer get themselves flanked while moving about. They will instead move sideways or diagonally to make sure they face the enemy while repositioning. There are UI buttons for this, but make sure you are using F to fall back and space to stop. If the enemy is getting too close, I'll select my whole line and have them fall back a bit and then halt. And don't be afraid to pause to see how things are going and issue new orders.

I'm not usually one for RTS' but I am loving this game. it seems like it would be overwhelming because you can have so many units on screen, but you can always just pause and collect your thoughts. Since everyone moves at walking speed, it's kind of slow paced and most of the time you're just watching your units exchange volleys while looking for a chance to flank or watching for the enemy to make a move. I haven't quite grasped cavalry yet, so I don't really use it. I mostly use them for baiting artillery and other brigades. Force them to reposition to take some heat off my brigades.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think I am going to have to buy Prey. I was wary of it because it looked like generic alien shooter. After seeing people on Giant Bomb praise it and seeing the praise here, I checked out the demo. I love exploring things, collecting, and figuring out mysteries. I think I'm going to like the rest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BirdOfPlay posted:

Dragon's Dogma, is this the dragon-titled game that has a ridiculous final boss battle?

It's the game where Griffin McElory has his magnificent throwing boy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The game was fun for a while, but then I realized I was doing the same crap over and over again. kidnap a guy, add him to my crew. Steal some equipment, kill everyone else. Once I got bored of that, I realized the story was boring as gently caress, annoyingly weird and I didn't care about it at all. If I didn't know about the normal gameplay, i would have turned it off when that flying whale showed up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

MGSV is an amazing game that unfortunately just stops before the ending.
I'll maintain that I really enjoyed it and I didn't have an issue with the plot not being weird; the big boss stuff was always more "serious" in tone than snake's adventures.

I wouldn't have minded the weird plot, but whenever those necromongers showed up, it pissed me off. I'd be having fun loving around in the 80s, and then annoyingly hard to fight magic men show up and it just pisses me off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Prey only lets me have 20 save slots, this is bullshit. As someone who creates so many saves that every Fallout/Elder Scrolls save folder becomes several gigs in size, I must protest this big government tyranny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No, but what if I needed to someday?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

It was DOOM all over again, except I have not played Prey yet. Waiting for it to be cheaper.

Well it's currently 30 bucks and it's really good.

Speaking of Prey How far can I go into alien mods before the turrets start shooting at me?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Which side do we play as?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wish i could go back in time and sue them for tricking me into buying a poo poo game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Which line is which game?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did he have this planned out years ago? Or did he just recently write this? The fact that Valve never finished that story is really annoying. I know it's played out to wish for HL3, but the argument that no one wants single player shooters anymore is just wrong. Doom and Prey are prime examples of single player shooters that people love. But I guess Valve doesn't make games anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Awesome! posted:

prey has sold horribly

Probably because no one knew it was even coming out. I had no idea until Giant Bomb posted quicklook of it. Most people I've seen who have played it have enjoyed it. I'd say it did decently well for zero advertising and people either having never heard of it or assuming it was a remaster of the original Prey. Half Life 3 wouldn't have to be some AAA masterpiece. Just finish the story, and make it look decent. Just the fact that it's Half Life 3 would make it sell well by default.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

valve just announced a new game though!

It's probably just a modded Hearthstone to have Dota stuff instead of HOTS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How about those video games, eh? I just finished Quadrilateral Cowboy after buying it months ago. It's pretty fun but I guess I lost my save so I played through the whole thing again. It's only a few hours long though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey it must be finished if they're going to start working on a battle royale version of ark

Hahaha. "Our game sucks poo poo, let's just redo it as that other popular game."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

Also, The fifth chapter of Kentucky Route Zero is scheduled to be released in early 2018

Holy poo poo, I thought this game was done already. I'm glad I never got around to playing past the first chapter. I enjoyed the first chapter but they took too long to release the next one and I never got back around to it. I figured it would have been done by now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Due to the draconian rules for loose files on the playstation, they have to force everyone to download all the files as part of the main game. Then you have to pay to unlock the files you were forced to download. Then Bethesda got lazy and decided to do exactly the same thing on PC. So you are forced to download all of the creation club files whether you want them or not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

discworld is all I read posted:

So has anyone played Songbringer? It looks pretty interesting and most of the reviews seem pretty positive, but I'm wondering if there's an actual story or progression, or if it's just go through a random dungeon and rinse/repeat.

It looks interesting. Giantbomb will have a quicklook of it on Monday. I'm waiting until that goes up before I make a choice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just finished The Talos Principle. I'm not sure what came over me to suddenly finish all these games I've had in my backlog but I am, so whatever. During some steam sale, it was between this game and The Witness. I originally chose The Talos Principle because it was cheaper and The Witness was still full price or some low sale percentage that didn't seem worth it at the time. I played it for about 20 minutes and then abandoned it, either because I was thinking about refunding, or I was just quickly trying out all the games I had bought. Since then, I bought The Witness and completed the main "story" of it. Anyway, I loaded up the Talos Principle again and really liked it. I was getting frustrated at times with the narrative because this game goes really far up its own rear end. Ignoring all the religious overtones, I really loved all the puzzles. The puzzles in The Witness were pretty good, but it was based entirely on memorizing a whole bunch of rulesets and applying them to whatever combination was in that puzzle. There were certain types of puzzles where I would get annoyed and just look up pictures of the solution so I could just move on. In The Talos Principle, you can't really do that, you would have to watch a video of someone beating it. Luckily I was able to figure almost all of them out on my own. There were a few where I'd look up how someone solved it to a point where they reminded me of a mechanic I had forgotten about, and then finish it on my own. There were only 1 or 2 where I had to look up how to do it because my brain was fried.

I like them both but if I could have a game as beautiful and hands off story wise as The Witness with the puzzles from The Talos Principle, that would probably be a perfect puzzle game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Did you play the Road to Gehenna DLC too? Because that was also really good.

I put it on my wish list, I'll check it out eventually.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ZearothK posted:

I had a serious problem that that password is not 0451 or a variant of it. It certainly added to the feeling that the universe is an uncaring place filled with things that hate you.

It was already in use.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hate when people have voice activated mics but no headphones. Buy some loving headphones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When Rockstar announced they were rereleasing LA Noire, I decided to check it out since I liked it years ago and got it on steam at some point. I really hope they update the game to support 60 fps, because the game is locked to 30 because of the animations.

I'm really enjoying the investigating and driving and solving street crimes. The interrogation is terrible though. Usually I can tell if the person is hiding something, but the trouble is figuring out whether I should use lie or force. Sometimes I think I have them in a lie but then Cole goes nuts and accuses them of something random, and I obviously have no proof of whatever the hell Cole just said.

I started using a guide for the conversations because it's just bullshit and there's no restore checkpoint option. So I either gently caress up the conversation or start the whole case over. I already played through the game making mistakes once, so I don't care about cheating or whatever. Especially when I look at the guide and have no idea why it wants me to pick lie. There was one interrogation where I had no idea why it was a lie. What the guy said initially didn't seem to contradict my evidence. I pick lie and then Cole accuses him of being a pedophile, and then I was able to make the connection. I guess I could have made that connection if I had done the other part of the case first, but that was weird.

The overall concept is easy to understand. If they look like they are telling the truth, you pick truth. If they look like they are lying and you have proof, you pick lie. If they look like they are lying but you don't have proof, you pick doubt (which is really force). My problem is that picking doubt shouldn't fail that question if there is evidence. I should be able to come back with evidence and question them again. A lie is still a lie. There should be a tell that gives me a hint that some of my evidence proves them wrong, or even let me figure it out later and come back. That just seems stupid that if I get the answer wrong, they win. Cop shows always have the detective get it wrong, find more evidence and take a second crack at the suspect. Imagine law and order where the suspect gets away with it because the detective didn't find some evidence yet and he was never allowed to question the guy about the knife ever again.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 10, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can back out of lie? Ok, I'll try doing that from now on. I was getting pissed because I'd pick doubt because I forgot someone was in some guy's notebook and I lose even though I had the evidence.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Except lie is the correct action with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm liking the game more now that I was reminded that Lie = see if cole brings up that I have evidence to the contrary. Also, that if I goof something up, I can just quit and then resume and that loads from the last checkpoint. They really need to update the game with a "restore last checkpoint" option in the menu, but this seems to work. It usually loads back to just before whatever interview you were doing, but one time it started me all the way at the beginning of looking for clues.