Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GrandpaPants posted:

How is this different from any other Aaron Sorkin show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOYBabXmA

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

purple death ray posted:

Shows that are extremely campy and fun tend to age very well indeed.

S P A C E G H O S T - C O A S T T O C O A S T

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Which DS9 e0 was the 9/11 one?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Speaking of that, the DS9 9/11 episode a year before 9/11 is an interesting "Did it age well?" one. Because if you don't realize it was a year before it seems like a heavy handed episode jumping on a band wagon, but if you do realize it, it's uncanny about a lot of the political climate afterward. Seriously show that episode to people who know nothing about it and every single one will assume it was written after 9/11.

And for bonus points, unlike the real 9/11, this one WAS an inside job!

I was specifically asking about this one, but maybe I'm the one that is dumb and wrong.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I like science fiction and loving.

I read Heinlein.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I gently caress science fiction fans.

Gross and wrong.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, was this the thread where we talked about his time traveling pedophilia/incest fetish, or was that somewhere else?

No, we have not talked about my fetishes, yet.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is going back a while, and I'm sure it wasn't stolen from ONLY the 60s batman, but seeing this clip just reminded me of the similar bit in the Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death where Gromit tries to throw the bomb out of the bakery window.

Now Wallace and Gromit has aged magnificently. A Grand Day Out is the worst by far in terms of animation quality, but only because they got better and better at the models as they went on. But as regard to story, the twee whimsy and silliness has stood up remarkably well.

I actually show them to my students, (middle school students), and they love it.

Looney Tunes did it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tiggum posted:

What shows are you watching?

This reminds me, would y'all say The Shield aged well, or poorly?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Torquemada posted:

Other than that, it’s still the best police show ever made.

Adam-12 or GTFO

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

This is.a dog who knows how to dog.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Hal is a funnier poor dad than Al.

Yeah, if you don't think Cranston is literally standing on O'Neill's shoulders...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

oldpainless posted:

Now seven was a terrible character

Why would you even remind me.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Would Fox have put out The Simpsons if not for the success of Married With Children? I don't know the exact timeline.

MWC came out in '86. Simpsons debuted as shorts on Tracey Ullman in '87 and became its own show in '89. I'd think the influence was minimal.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

purple death ray posted:

Right? God willing me and my wife are so happy when she's an immortal vampire goddess and I'm an extremely horny Olympic quality fencer.

You're like 25% of the way there!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Since I don't watch a lot of TV anymore, I think I've started to realize something trying to watch older TV shows from the 90s and early 00s on streaming: The long opening credits. I don't know, maybe these are things that are still pretty common, but up to a certain point you got the entire full intro to a show, for most shows, every single episode.

It seems like a lot of more modern shows I've watched more recently just do a quick cut from the intro precredits/"previously on" scene to a title card or a massively shortened intro sequence. There's probably reasons for that. Increasing commercial time, shortening the tuning-out window for people who might flip the channel, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7d0Lm_31BE

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

catlord posted:

Batman the Animated Series has an intro that I can watch every single time and not be bothered in the slightest. The ones they replaced it with? gently caress those ones, they're bad.

Batman Beyond had a good intro fite me

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Scrubs intro is the platonic ideal imo

idk mate

Tales from the Crypt
True Blood
Man in the High Castle
A-Team
Samurai Jack
Wonder Years
Twilight Zone
Cheers
Fresh Prince
GLOW
Highlander
Get Smart

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mu Zeta posted:

Big Bang Theory is the longest running multicam sitcom in history. Frankly it probably costs too much to do any more seasons because I bet the actors requires a huge pay raise every year now instead of the normal raises.

Word on the street is that they were willing to pony up the truckloads of cash, but Parsons was like "gently caress this I have infinite dollars and I'm pretty bored of this poo poo. let's wrap it up."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There was an article somewhere that argued that in reality jocks like LeBron James, Terry Crews Kaepernik are role-models, while most high-profile nerds are creeps like Chris Hardwick and Ol Musky boy.

OJ
Mike Tyson
Michael Vick
Eddie Johnson
Lawrence Taylor
Darryl Strawberry
Darren Sharper

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pick posted:

Things Sherlock has to do in Elementary:

• Research things before he knows about them
  • Slog through stuff looking for information and this is shown to take a lot of time and be tedious
  • Ask for help from other people with specialized skills/knowledge he doesn't have
  • Accept that sometimes other people accomplish things before he does, such as the particularly competent members of the police department (there are some) or Watson
  • Listen to Watson, who knows things he doesn't
  • Learn to work on a team because being an rear end in a top hat is not only unpleasant but makes his work worse and introduces various forms of liability
  • Answer to the police when he does things that are shady
  • Accept that sometimes he is not allowed to do certain things no matter how smart he is
  • Apologize when he is out of line and actually not do those things any more
  • Admit that his family is not as bad as he likes to whine about and work towards a better relationship with them
  • Explore arrogance as a key feature of villains who don't think of themselves as villainous
  • Be wrong/mistaken and cop to it
  • Grow as a person
  • get a turtle

I was like "This is boring and too much like real life" until that last bit and now I want to watch it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ir493Dps1Q

Just gonna leave this right here.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Look, guys. Molesterers are just a part of Hollywood, and child actors sure as hell aren't gonna be safe if grown-rear end adults can get molesterered on national TV at a funeral for a feminist icon by a member of the clergy.

:smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4js91h9B60A

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Captain Planet always gets me with the insane amount of star power in the original cast:
  • Whoopi Goldberg
  • LeVar Burton
  • Ed Asner
  • Jeff Goldblum
  • James Coburn
  • Meg Ryan
  • Martin Sheen
  • Sting
  • Tim Curry
  • Dean Stockwell

And that's just the main cast!

The guest starring roles had: Elizabeth Taylor, Malcom McDowell, Louis Gossett Jr., Danny Glover, Vanna White, Neil Patrick Harris, Dionne Warwick, Rita Moreno, Jonathan Winters, and Helen Hunt.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Milo and POTUS posted:

The cocaine episode hasn't aged well either.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BiggerBoat posted:

Burt Reynolds died and got me to thinking how his poo poo hasn't aged really well at all. Aside from The Longest yard and Deliverance he was basically the embodiment of 70's macho cheesy sex symbols. Sort of the Tom Selleck of the 70's.

Boogie Nights owned though.

First off, never sleep on Burt as Charlie B. Barkin in All Dogs Go to Heaven.

And second, I'm gonna be inconsolable when Tom Selleck goes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrigadierSensible posted:

People blaming actors for poo poo their characters say is stupid as gently caress.

FWIW, Mitchell and Webb are TV writers and did have writing credits on Peep Show, so calling them out on lines they may have written isn't entirely inappropriate.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Heads up, this country is pretty lovely about letting anyone atone for anything ever, especially in the social media age.

I've worked with felons post-incarceration trying to piece their lives together after their debt to society has auspiciously been paid. For a non-rich and especially non-white person, a felony conviction can amount to something close to a life sentence, because people will just not let that poo poo go.

Yes, we should let people have a second chance if they actually are remorseful and are working to fix their problem.

No, we shouldn't just shrug off non-apologies and repeated bad behavior.

If Michael Richards said some terrible, hateful things, yeah, he has to own that and figure out how to fix himself and make amends. Should we just brush it off and ignore it? No. Should we tell him he can't ever do stand-up again? No. Do I ever want to see him again? No. But, if his non-racist humor was something people liked, and he tries to fix his issues, gently caress yeah, let people enjoy what they enjoy. If noted unfunny hack Jerry Seinfeld wants to vouch for him so he can get a headline show somewhere, that's on the both of them.

Telling people they can't ever fix poo poo when they've hosed up is ridiculous. And no, it's not just racism. But, yes, we should be holding them to a standard of "You actually have to accept responsibility for your fuckups and show actual good-faith effort to make good, and not just throwing money at it".

PS: I'm still mad every time I think about the fact that the "local boy made good" Kevin Clash, the man behind Elmo, was abusing teenage boys. He's deflected and justified at every turn and it makes me even madder that Sesame Street was complicit. That dude can loving rot in hell with Cosby and Woody Allen and John Wayne.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pardon my French, but gently caress That Noise. There is a literally unconsumable amount of media available, today. I can't even bother with a show if it has a crappy first season (or even first few episodes). Start strong or get out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

But at the same time, for some people it does take that re-watch. Why? Well, because for example Hank is portrayed as oafish and overbearing so if you don't know what's coming and you're going in blind, you'll understand why Walt passed on the money first time through. Most people would not want to owe money to or be dependent on a dude like Hank.

Walt is portrayed as a quiet guy who doesn't rock the boat so much at the beginning, and even if he's selfish he's still managed to have a family, take care of his disabled son, and manage a career and not just explode the whole drat thing. But it does seem like this pressure to conform has been eating at him before this. Outside forces are portrayed as pushing in and at him, and he's getting both literally and physically sick of feeling pushed around, and like other people have final say over his fate. So his refusal of Hank's money, while dumb, is understandable. The path he takes after, notsomuch.

Uhhh it's not Hank's money they are talking about refusing, it's the money from Schwartz that he won't take because he still has the hots for Schwartz's wife.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I watched that dumb Star Trek when it aired and it was dumb and dated then.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What the gently caress is Google?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Whatever happened to Robot Jones?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sarcopenia posted:

Wasn't there an attempted rape of a teenage daughter in one of the Beethoven movies?

Yes. Beethoven's 2nd.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think mainstream movies in the 80s had more sex scenes than they do now in general, regardless of how they're presented.

The ones in Highlander or Terminator, for instance - I don't think you'd see something like that in a contemporary action blockbuster

Alexander
Troy
Watchmen

Also, Terminator was a low-budget thriller, not an action blockbuster.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ariong posted:

Huh. Looking at this makes me realize that Biff doesn’t have it all that bad at the end of the movie. He owns his own business!

It brings to mind a lot of moments in movies in tv where someone is depicted as a loser for being stuck with a job that, nowadays, would be considered pretty decent. For example, I find it very hard to wrap my mind around how Homer’s job, which allows him to be a homeowner who supports his stay-at-home wife and three children, could be considered crappy. Apparently when the show came out it was though.

F R A N K G R I M E S D O T T X T

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess James Bond movies still do it.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think Maude had a job when she was alive so her death didn't really make a difference.

Wow, rude. But yes, increased child care costs for single parents are a thing.