Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Zmej posted:

idk how ziz is gonna do gauntlet though, lol

"here's the gauntlet - same as the base game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I think the thing I dislike most about moving the Archnem mods to rares is whenever I see a mod I used to hate but slog through for the rewards, now I'm like, wait, I won't actually get those drops. Why am I even killing this then.

And that feels like a bad place to be, in a game for killing monsters. Maybe it'll go away after a few seasons or a few more passes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

hard mobs, okay, that didn't really mess with me. no meta shifts and no new skills however, man that was a bummer.

who cares? unless you've played a truly unhealthy amount of poe i doubt you've touched every skill, or even every strong skill

if you have, then yes, take a break for god's sake

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There has been a meta shift towards defense I think.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think the big difference is the lack of agency when dealing with Archnemesis mods.

In the league proper, you could make a borderline unkillable horrible rare. But it was *your* choice to do so. You were the one that assembled that glorified metamorph, and now you get to live with the results.

In this league, you don't get a choice in the matter. I did a T16 that had a Mana Siphoner, Invulnerable, and Drought Bringer rare. It was in a ritual, and it was in my first ritual for the map at that. Guess what? That ritual, and every ritual after that in the map, was bricked. What else could I do? The arena is small, I had to deal with all the other poo poo around me, and there was no way to burst down something that is invulnerable every 4.5 out of 9 seconds before I run out of mana and have no way to regenerate it.

There needs to be a sanity check on certain mobs and combos if they're going to insist on carrying over all the mods from Archnemesis. You can, through no fault of your own, be surrounded by poo poo that is either a straight up hard counter or close enough. This is before you factor in doing anything involving sentinels, where you could make something that was borderline unkillable for you truly immortal with the amount of damage reduction it can get.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Vasudus posted:

I think the big difference is the lack of agency when dealing with Archnemesis mods.

In the league proper, you could make a borderline unkillable horrible rare. But it was *your* choice to do so. You were the one that assembled that glorified metamorph, and now you get to live with the results.

In this league, you don't get a choice in the matter. I did a T16 that had a Mana Siphoner, Invulnerable, and Drought Bringer rare. It was in a ritual, and it was in my first ritual for the map at that. Guess what? That ritual, and every ritual after that in the map, was bricked. What else could I do? The arena is small, I had to deal with all the other poo poo around me, and there was no way to burst down something that is invulnerable every 4.5 out of 9 seconds before I run out of mana and have no way to regenerate it.

There needs to be a sanity check on certain mobs and combos if they're going to insist on carrying over all the mods from Archnemesis. You can, through no fault of your own, be surrounded by poo poo that is either a straight up hard counter or close enough. This is before you factor in doing anything involving sentinels, where you could make something that was borderline unkillable for you truly immortal with the amount of damage reduction it can get.
Yeah, and also, if you did one of those nightmare mod combos, you might be doing it because it gave you one of the -Touched mega-combos, the rewards of which were worth the pain (potentially).

With this system it's like, sick. I could get Flameweaver or I could get Drought Bringer. Either way I'm going to get the same trash.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Dumb question, how do you go to the chat window on controller? Playing on the Deck fwiw

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I think the thing I dislike most about moving the Archnem mods to rares is whenever I see a mod I used to hate but slog through for the rewards, now I'm like, wait, I won't actually get those drops. Why am I even killing this then.

And that feels like a bad place to be, in a game for killing monsters. Maybe it'll go away after a few seasons or a few more passes.

This is something that has really gotten missed in all of these discussions since Friday. (at least the ones I've seen)

I actually love the idea of rare mods being more interesting and turning rare packs into more than speed bumps, and I think Archnem going core was a great way to do that. I'd have absolutely done more Archnem during that league if the UI surrounding it wasn't so clunky - but Archnem had genuine rewards that were, usually, something close to worthwhile even for the worst combos (anything involving Trickster aside, gently caress Trickster).

Moving that away from league content to general rare monsters, and cutting out the league rewards in the process, brings it into reach of POE's longstanding problems with making killing monsters more rewarding and THAT is a lot of the feelbad here. I'm not even sure that anything Chris is talking about regarding drop bonuses for certain Archnem mods is really going to make a difference because what would those even be? More quant and rarity, do either of those really correlate strongly enough to better items to make all the effort to fight a rare pack with a bad combo worth it?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Chris already said that the buffed mobs get increased rewards, and it's just bad RNG when nothing can make it past your loot filter. Problem solved! Case closed!

I mean, maybe more rares are dropping, but who cares? Well, other than Chris I guess. He sure does love dropping rares that never get seen.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Every archnemesis you kill adds one shadow stack to your bait counter, you can see it when you access the mithril fishing boat in the harbour of lost tempests

Also they finally added part two voice acting for the usurious leviathan sub submarine class

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I wouldn't mind pushing on through to see how a new skill or spell performed or how a buffed ascendancy is changed. But I know my options I enjoy and they are the same as last league. THe lack of meta changes isn't a complete dealbreaker but it works in combination with archnemesis mods to dull my interest.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

xZAOx posted:

Chris already said that the buffed mobs get increased rewards, and it's just bad RNG when nothing can make it past your loot filter. Problem solved! Case closed!

I mean, maybe more rares are dropping, but who cares? Well, other than Chris I guess. He sure does love dropping rares that never get seen.
I honestly do not believe him when he says this, or that his definition of "increased rewards" matches what anyone who can't read the code and see "oh, 1 in a million is now 2 in a million" would think.

e: I will say I've felt unusually scroll-of-wisdom-starved this league, but I definitely don't think that's translated to having better gear, just more garbage.

e:e:

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is something that has really gotten missed in all of these discussions since Friday. (at least the ones I've seen)

I actually love the idea of rare mods being more interesting and turning rare packs into more than speed bumps, and I think Archnem going core was a great way to do that. I'd have absolutely done more Archnem during that league if the UI surrounding it wasn't so clunky - but Archnem had genuine rewards that were, usually, something close to worthwhile even for the worst combos (anything involving Trickster aside, gently caress Trickster).

Moving that away from league content to general rare monsters, and cutting out the league rewards in the process, brings it into reach of POE's longstanding problems with making killing monsters more rewarding and THAT is a lot of the feelbad here. I'm not even sure that anything Chris is talking about regarding drop bonuses for certain Archnem mods is really going to make a difference because what would those even be? More quant and rarity, do either of those really correlate strongly enough to better items to make all the effort to fight a rare pack with a bad combo worth it?
Yeah, I think it's not just the reward amount, it's the targeting. I know that Sentinel is where the "and now you can see what kind of loot drops the monster will give" moved to, but honestly, if this league was just "Archnem mods on rares, but we put the loot icons on them and gave them their Archnem loot" you've just made a 10x better league for me.

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 16, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I honestly do not believe him when he says this, or that his definition of "increased rewards" matches what anyone who can't read the code and see "oh, 1 in a million is now 2 in a million" would think.

What in the world?

if this league was just "Archnem mods on rares, but we put the loot icons on them and gave them their Archnem loot" you've just made a 10x better league for me.

That would also be broken beyond compare.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

TheRat posted:

Perfect way to juice a dead league, then.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Perfect way to juice a dead league, then.

Which dead league would that be?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Dumb question, how do you go to the chat window on controller? Playing on the Deck fwiw

Followup: Is there even a button to deploy any of the three sentinel types on controller?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

I honestly do not believe him when he says this

Yeah, my guess it's that "it's technically increased", but when a mob is 10x longer to kill, I expect 10x better loot. Not "technically 2x better so it's better".

I don't like to call people liars because I don't think they're intentionally lying - but if anything, I don't buy for a second this poo poo was "extensively tested". It obviously wasn't, but they thought it was, which means their testing is completely useless, much less "extensive".

I'd actually be interested to hear what they consider extensive testing. They obviously weren't simulating league start across a variety of reasonable builds. And they're not simulating more typical players, not "I can fight bosses and not get hit ever".

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheRat posted:

What in the world?

Give the people loot

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, my guess it's that "it's technically increased", but when a mob is 10x longer to kill, I expect 10x better loot. Not "technically 2x better so it's better".
Yeah that's another part of it that's fair to consider, both the time:reward and the risk:reward. The risk:reward in Archnem itself was at least surfaced, but this league's unfortunately got the Archnem risks, then the only new reward is from Sentinel buffs, which are a second level of risk on top (plus the full-heal, which I understand from the perspective of not encouraging degenerate 'get everyone to 1% then f2 it' but also, woof).

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

xZAOx posted:

I don't like to call people liars because I don't think they're intentionally lying - but if anything, I don't buy for a second this poo poo was "extensively tested". It obviously wasn't, but they thought it was, which means their testing is completely useless, much less "extensive".

I'd actually be interested to hear what they consider extensive testing. They obviously weren't simulating league start across a variety of reasonable builds. And they're not simulating more typical players, not "I can fight bosses and not get hit ever".

pretty sure they just meant extensively bug tested, but not balance tested.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ranzear posted:

Followup: Is there even a button to deploy any of the three sentinel types on controller?

For sure. Hold your triggers down and you'll get the league content stuff. I believe it's l+r, B button for sentinel, and then x y and b for the sentinels.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Here's a tip for dudes trying to get ailment immune: double corrupted abyss jewels. I just picked up a jewel for 15c that had: 29 life, 1% elemental pen, 20ish percent ignite avoid, stun avoid, and shock avoid.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah i slapped my sentinel and then a beyond boss spawned and it got empowered and i splatted all within the first 15 seconds of a t2 map but it’s generally been good

I need to look at bumping up my gear past leveling nonsense though

I think my favorite 'oh god what' death for me, so far, has been the time I ran into a pack of Ice Golems all with Splinterer in a Summit map and got turned into a porcupine instantly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Why don't they have a little window near map mods that just lists all the rares present on the screen? Why do they think I can mouse over them when I'm frantically clicking in the opposite direction to get the gently caress away? Can a Cyclone CWC player on controller even get to see the rare mods as it is?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Keru posted:

I think my favorite 'oh god what' death for me, so far, has been the time I ran into a pack of Ice Golems all with Splinterer in a Summit map and got turned into a porcupine instantly.

Another "fun" combo is Porcupine Goliaths with Toxic. Not only do you have to a dodge a shitload of toxic bombs when they die (hey GGG, how about not giving those things infinite duration, m'kay?), but you also have to deal with their quills poisoning you. Hope you weren't standing in the middle of the pack.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 16, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Jazerus posted:

who cares?

I do, as I said in my post, thanks for your unnecessary reply.

TheRat posted:

No it isn't. You'll quickly remember what you want/need to avoid, and this system makes that much easier to spot at a glance

Having 76 different mods is just unnecessary for a keyword system. The whole idea of using keywords to let players spot things at a glance is making the keywords distinct (they're not, there's a lot of ambiguous ones or ones that are too similar in theme) and making it so there's only a few of them which can mix and match to form more complex results. If you want to make it so players are able to spot certain dangers at a glance, why 1) have 76 different mods with tons of overlap instead of fewer, more distinct ones and 2) require players to mouse over mobs to read text just like before because there's a lot of dangerous mods with faint or no visual feedback.

It might be the start of a theoretically good system but it's still incredibly full of flaws and it's not a certainty at all they'll fix it. Porting every single mod was an incredibly dumb move--more work for a worse end result

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Another "fun" combo is Porcupine Goliaths with Toxic. Not only do you have to a dodge a shitload of toxic bombs when they die (hey GGG, how about not giving those things infinite duration, m'kay?), but you also have to deal with their quills poisoning you. Hope you were standing in the middle of the pack.

Some of these archen mods really were not made with magic mobs in mind. New Heralds of the Obelisk with the archnem blue exploding stones thing is even rippier now.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Mageblood: ~130ex (7 on market)
Headhunter: ~38ex
Replica Headhunter: ~11ex (4 on market)

I get why it's like that, but it's still pretty funny. The team has been wanting to kill HH forever, but Chris wouldn't let them. They finally did it, sneakily!

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

xZAOx posted:

Mageblood: ~130ex (7 on market)
Headhunter: ~38ex
Replica Headhunter: ~11ex (4 on market)

I get why it's like that, but it's still pretty funny. The team has been wanting to kill HH forever, but Chris wouldn't let them. They finally did it, sneakily!

How did Headhunter get killed? It can't use Archnemesis stuff or something?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Aren't you limited to getting just one mod at a time now?

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

SpiritOfLenin posted:

It can, that's the problem. The bad stuff from the mods you steal still targets you.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ornedan posted:

It can, that's the problem. The bad stuff from the mods you steal still targets you.

The testers do it again!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I switch my mark + mark on hit to lifetap, along with leap slam. Is there any reason I'd level up lifetap (or not level it up)? Leap slam is just travel for me, although stunning a pack is useful too, but it's not really for damage.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Ornedan posted:

I take back my remark about extensive bug testing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think if they have archnemesis mods that "hard counter" certain builds, people are just going to end up not playing the builds that put all their eggs into one basket to make the entire build work when a random rare can show up and break all those eggs, which in turn will lower build diversity.

One of the good things about power creep over the years was it VASTLY opened build diversity from 99% of the population using the exact same handful of skills and ascendancies and suddenly you had people beating everything in the game with a bunch of wacky barely used skills and Rube Goldberg passive interactions to make the whole thing work.

I think they need to start reworking or axing entire archnemesis mods like invulnerable, mana siphon, flask disabler, regen disabler, annoying ice prison rares, ect, because they can straight up be impossible for builds that can't ignore them or entirely break parts of the game like invulnerable and ice prison in blights.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

External Organs posted:

Aren't you limited to getting just one mod at a time now?

It's this sorta. You cannot have multiple copies of the same mod, combined with the fact that there are no generic speed/aura mods to steal. And then the really lovely stuff is more common so you get Assassin(shroud walker) constantly. Or the things like ice prison targeting yourself.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I really hate the design philosophy they've been applying for the past year or so. There's no reason for the opening acts to be at the difficulty level they currently are and they seem determined to up the amount of random one-shot poo poo that occurs. Catering to veteran players is one thing but I can't imagine anyone picking up this game in the past couple leagues and having a good time with the amount of knowledge you need just for basic survival.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Hopefully having Hard Mode will get all that stuff out of their system, not holding my breath though.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Cinara posted:

It's this sorta. You cannot have multiple copies of the same mod, combined with the fact that there are no generic speed/aura mods to steal. And then the really lovely stuff is more common so you get Assassin(shroud walker) constantly. Or the things like ice prison targeting yourself.

If I were Chris Wolcen I'd be already yelling to immediately revert back to the old magic/rare enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Hopefully having Hard Mode will get all that stuff out of their system, not holding my breath though.

All of this is in prep for poe 2.0, so yeah dont hold your breath.