Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Folt The Bolt posted:

I dunno if they're all references to something DuckTales: I heard something close to Lillehammer (:norway:) for example. Many Norwegians (and most of Scandinavia really) are diehard Donald Duck comic fans.

A quick Google search says there was a Don Rosa comic set on Lillehammmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also Webby getting excited at a dog with a bowtie, while in a bus filled with dogs wearing clothes, reading books, and driving the bus?

I was 100% sure the payoff from that joke was going to be a shot of Goofy walking down the street.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Good Listener posted:

Weird order or not, I'm just glad the episodes are airing weekly as opposed to "here's some new ones, ok bye for 6 months".

For now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

HIJK posted:

How many episodes are we getting this season?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That may not have been "the Huey episode" but I think it served as a pretty good introduction for him regardless.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ballz posted:

Great episode, but remember when Scrooge was in this show?

Hey, David Tennant's expensive!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

nine-gear crow posted:

I watched the first few minutes out of curiosity and it's actually the dude talking about how there's some kind of Cartoon Network schedule fuckery going on behind the scenes w/r/t the episode release order. Apparently there was supposed to be a Huey-centric episode between Day Trip of Doom and the Great Dime Chase so that the first three episodes after the pilot would have been a Webby-centered one, a Huey-centered one, then a Dewey/Louie-centered so all four kids got some character development before the main arc of the season kicked off. That alleged Huey episode has been shunted off to god knows where now, at least according to this dude and his "inside" sources, and it's basically loving with the rest of the show as a result.

So it's more just 10 minutes of Point of Order bitching rather than "George Lucas Disney XD ruined my childhood." Not that that's any more redeeming.

Ah, well that's non-crazy enough even the thread's been talking about it. The source is social media accounts (twitter, tumblr, reddit) of some of the people behind the snow. They originally made a Huey spotlight episode that was supposed to air early on, but it got pushed back until December because it has snow in it, so Disney decided to use it as a "Holiday episode." The result, as we've seen, is a kind of Huey-light experience early on in the show. I wasn't able to really pin down his character until Terror of the Terra-Firmians.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Some people on Reddit are reporting that a new episode aired today in Sweden and Russia. The Russian one's in English but only available in most other places in the form of :filez:.

Title: The Missing Links of Moorshire.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

drrockso20 posted:

Well enough that KND then borrowed the "Hall Monitors as Cops" conceit for a couple of episodes

I dunno if they could be said to have borrowed the idea from Fillmore, I mean, the idea of hall monitors acting like cops was in other shows before Fillmore was a thing. The Simpsons, Hey Arnold, Spongebob, etc. Fillmore just took it to its logical extreme and did it better than anyone else.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Gummi Bears references were unexpected :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Avalerion posted:

Donald is usually shown to be some kind of hyper savant just by the amount of job’s he’s able to achieve competence at - as his stories go he usually does fairly well in whatever he tries at the beginning, and crap only happens because his temper, getting in over his head, or plain bad luck.

Being subscribed to the ducktales thread and various politics threads makes conversations about Donald Duck confusing.

The newbie avatars don't help

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

counterfeitsaint posted:

Launchpad imitating Donald was amazing.

I'm having trouble making sense of Scrooge's backstory and family now though. Scrooge grew up absolutely destitute to the point where his father believed the only thing he could pass onto his son was a 10 cent lesson in self reliance. Also they lived in an ancestral castle that was known to have a massive treasure in it. How do you grow up destitute in an ancestral castle that is known to have a massive treasure in it, especially when your father has at least some idea of how to locate said treasure?

Scrooge said that he rebuilt the castle, so I assume the timeline goes something like

McDuck clan has the castle for hundreds of years -> McDucks fall on hard times, castle falls into disrepair -> Some time between Dirty Dingus McDuck finding the Templar treasure and the birth of Scrooge, the family can no longer afford living expenses in the castle and has to move out (but still, I guess, technically owns the land, but can't sell it or do anything productive with it?) -> Scrooge gets rich, rebuilds the castle, accidentally grants his parents immortality.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The end of that episode was so good. I think it's safe to say that Ducktales 2017 is A Good Cartoon.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mylan posted:

Is it true that it's just Mickey and Chip & Dale that are off the table? Because I'd love to see Goofy interact with Launchpad.

They've been given permission to use any Disney Afternoon properties they want except for Rescue Rangers (because they're making a live action film of it, barf). So we could very well get the Goof Troop version of Goofy. Plus, Spoonerville's already received a mention in the show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Donald Duck: I AM THE STORM

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

tsob posted:

As someone who barely remembers the original show and only played the game when it was re-released a few years ago I'm mystified by the constant dropping of love for that song. Is it significant to the original show in any way? Is it just that people love it for itself? It's a decent song, but nothing mind blowing when I went and looked it up again on Youtube. Certainly nothing that stood out to me, given that I don't even recall it from the game (assuming it was even in that).

It was never in the show, as far as I know, it's just considered one of the best bits of music on the NES.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Andrew_1985 posted:

Loved the finale, the only part I wasn't happy with was the retcon of Lena from a niece to a shadow of Magica who became a person? I'm assuming they did that so they could get away with 'offing' a child character for a while. They could have kept her as Magica's niece who got turned into a shadow then destroyed?

Well, (and I'm not using spoiler tags cause the episode's already aired) according to Beakley, Magica has been an enemy of the McDuck Clan for hundreds of years, which means she's old enough that she couldn't possibly have any living nieces unless said niece is also affected by magical life extension poo poo. I don't think Lena being her shadow instead of her niece is a "retcon," rather, I think Lena just called her an aunt because she was grasping for any kind of familial relation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Making Scrooge totally obsessed with adventure as his primary motivation, rather than wealth, is probably the only way to make the character widely sympathetic in today's sociopolitical climate.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's really soon.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like the break between seasons is less than the break between some episodes in the season.

Not super surprising. If I remember correctly, it got renewed for season 2 before even the series premiere, so unless they completely finished season 1 before the first episode ever aired, there probably wasn't a big break in production.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Das Boo posted:

I think it's neat they ended up going with the South African background. It's tremendously touchy given the history of colonialism and exploitation and I'm interested to see how they work with it in the future. Not doing it at all would've been the safe route, so there must be a lot of consideration put into tackling it.

Or they could never address it again! :v:

Yeah I doubt they'll ever do as deep a dive into Glomgold's origins as they did in this episode, unless it's after he left South Africa. It'd be tough and probably offensive to focus too much on South Africa in that era without addressing Apartheid, and I can't imagine this Disney Channel show would want to do an Apartheid episode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Disney was hired by the US government during WW2 to make the original movie as a sort of "goodwill package" to Latin America, to reinforce American culture there against a perceived creeping Nazi influence.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Does Chicken Little count as Disney Animated Canon? Because if it does then it's complete crap too. Even on a technical level, it wasn't ahead of what Pixar was producing at the time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SlothfulCobra posted:

Jack McBrayer doesn't have much range so far as I've seen, but every time he shows up it's a wonderful treasure.

A rare regional accent on TV.

I don't know if that's because he doesn't have much range or if he's typecast and that's the only voice people ask him to do. Which, I don't blame em, it's a wonderful voice.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I didn't know how much I needed young Donald and Della.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

That was probably the best christmas episode of any show I've seen.

Honestly yeah. Usually Christmas episodes are silly fluff, even in shows with significant continuity, but here they managed to do some stuff that surprised us and tied it in to the myth arc. It actually makes sense for a show with such a strong theme of family to make its Christmas episode actually important.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Webby having a new friend owns too, I hope the Webby Squad appears together more in the future

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think they were only explicitly given permission to use characters and settings from Disney Afternoon (minus Chip and Dale), and we can't assume they have permission for other Disney properties. I remember Alex Hirsch said on twitter once that they wanted to include a Star Wars reference at one point but Disney's lawyers said no. Even though Disney owns Star Wars.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This show just keeps getting better.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Running out of ideas using the English lyrics, they start using the famous misheard Finnish lyrics, and the theme for season 4 will be "Your school's stupid, your school's baha"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh totally, Webby can probably match Huey in a lot of things.

Parent-teacher interview episode could be a laugh. Lena's options there might be limited. Comedy option would be Scrooge, especially since Lena was technically 'born' out of his conflict with Magica.

Apparently Lena's been living with Violet's family since she returned. This was supposed to be mentioned in one of this last batch of episodes but got cut for time. So Violet's parents would probably play that role.

https://suspendersofdisbelief.tumblr.com/post/187616858221/is-lena-staying-with-the-family-at-the-manor-or

Pakled fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 14, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Someone who worked on Wander Over Yonder said they wanted to do a Star Wars homage/parody at one point but Disney's lawyers shot it down. Even though THEY OWN both properties.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Donald has been so beaten down by life that he won't even let himself momentarily fantasize about something nice. His entire existence up until this point has been a constant stream of suffering and humiliation, dreaming of better things only brings more pain so why bother?

Yeah the one time he allowed himself to even wish for something other than constant danger and turmoil just led to another dangerous adventure that nearly killed his family.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This episode was really good and surprisingly consequential for what the synopsis promised.

One thing that occurred to me when I was watching this (that I'm sure has come up in this show before before but had never been quite as prominent as in this episode) is how the Japanese characters weren't all one species and how commendable that is. A lot of media featuring fantasy races or aliens or anthropomorphic characters falls into this trap where white-coded or American-coded characters can be a variety of species but stand-ins for other real-world races or cultures are represented as being all one species, which has some unfortunate most-likely-unintentionally racist implications. But the streets of Tokyolk were as diverse in species as the streets of Duckburg. So they did a good job by sticking with their schema of "humans = a variety of animal species" rather than deciding to make all the Japanese characters shibas or something like that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'd like an invite as well please!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ikanreed posted:

I think a lot of the art and production of this kind of show can be done(albiet probably less efficiently) by people working at home. I don't think Disney has furloughed all the people who make Duck Tales. Probably. I don't see any reason why it should be delayed until the disease has completely receded.

I guess voice actors would have to go to a studio to get proper quality, which is dangerous, and I certainly don't want anyone to suffer so I can watch a cartoon, but don't set your hopes too low.

In a typical television animation production schedule, the voice acting is one of the first things to get done, and the actual animation part takes months. There's a strong chance the voices for the next batch of episodes were done before covid lockdowns started.

Also, even before covid, it was pretty common for voice actors to have a passable home studio, now it's probably near-universal.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Frank Angones answered a ton of fan questions (mostly) about S3 on his tumblr last night.

https://suspendersofdisbelief.tumblr.com/

Some highlights:

These are all pretty mild spoilers, but tagging em for safety

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah that character appeared on the S3 poster from a while back along with several other "new" characters from other Disney properties.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, add Lunaris to the villains.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Penumbra specifically said that she doesn't want to "date a earth... male".

I love how those moonlanders seem to have accustomed to earth. More specifically, the nineties.

And if there was any doubt (because redditors were trying to pick the statement apart to have an alternate meaning),

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamanthaCKing/status/1310796963718201344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nameless Pete posted:

Especially when the obvious play is to fill the city with Turkeys.

The show seems to be deliberately avoiding mapping any real life ethnicity/nation to one animal species, which is probably for the best.