Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vs wont compile typescript without node installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jit bull transpile posted:

That is absolutely not true. I did not have node on my work machine and I compiled typescript all day. Did this change in a recent version of vs or something?

idk if its changed but new asp.net core apps require node.js be installed outside of VS to compile TS and for other functions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

Uninstall and reinstall nodejs?

If you don't have node installed, vs installs its own node stack under your user profile AppData. It's awesome because when you want to have full control of your own node stack and decide to install nodejs separately you get weird behavior because depending on when/where you run npm you may or may not be installing to the VS node stack or your own! Fun!

that may be what has changed because I don't have node installed and a brand new project fails to build with a "go install node" error.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as of now I don't want to use typescript enough to install node.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it should be written in c# or c++ and be integrated into msbuild

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I guess its better than using ruby or something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript was such a huge mistake

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jquery is better than just plain javascript. its not good, but javascript is just that bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not the current fad so its bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
DynamicParameters

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the language itself is garbage and the terrible ecosystem on top if it is a direct result

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

what's so bad about javascript shaggar

i want actual things about the language you think are bad not just "it's a p-lang"

by far its totally hosed type system is the worst part and prevents it from ever being fixable. the way it interacts with the dom is also dumb as hell.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes its part of the hosed up type system for sure.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
If this is something that is done realtime within the application then a web api on top of the db that the application uses is probably appropriate. if its a periodic load type thing then just use SSIS.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Peeny Cheez posted:

Fake your death and move to Belize.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
our health information vendor has an API that lets us send a list of topic ids and a coversheet (in html) and sends us back a PDF with the coversheet and all the health information topics specified by the IDs. we then email or mail this to a patient. Turns out they check for script tags in the html which is good, but they do it wrong. How did I find this out? We had a failing health info print request that was getting rejected because it contained a script tag. We don't send script tags so I start troubleshooting. The coversheet contains a list of topic names so the patient has a summary of what health info is on the document we send them. It seems that if I remove the topic list, it works fine. So I look at the topic list and look to see which of them might be causing the error. Of course it was "Prescription Medication". Their anti-script code just looks for "script" and that's it. so I just added a replace on the topic list to replace script with s<span></span>cript and now it works. great. I love 2 program

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its dumb. I sent them a bug report but idk if they care. it would be pretty trivial to do it right w/ html agility pack or something.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

could you export to ods, or to xml and generate the xlsx container yourself

its the xml that's the issue. using the openxml sdk is the best way to generate openxml docs/spreadsheets but you still have to deal with problems related to the specification itself. most of them have to do with display issues caused by wonkiness in old versions that has become expected behavior by users.

also you can set formatting in the document itself or in a stylesheet so what goes where can be a headache.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

hey eschaton

why can't u just "import" my Makefile and generate a project from it

because make files and xcode are bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

floatman posted:

"Hey guys let's only send diffs fron our dynamic forms to save space in message transmission!"

"diffs" discard null values since form fields are "dynamic" therefore when a value is null or empty it is assumed that the form field was not required to be collected.
This results in situations where once you set field ABC to a value, then try to update it by removing all values, ABC will revert back to initial value since empty string result was never considered to be a change in the first place.

Meanwhile, email infrastructure is dying due to 1.5 million exceptions being sent each day to 40 people that filter emails to trash immediately.

software engineering

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're talking about posts then sure but if you're talking about stuff that matters consistency is critical.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
how would they access stuff in NoSQL if the NoSQL isn't available because their network is down.

or are you suggesting everyones medical records are stored at every provider location

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Yes, it's a thing called data replication. People can work with local redundant copies, which get synced, repaired, and updated across regions once the network heals.

If you have ever been to a pharmacy like CVS to get a prescription and the pharmacy had their own independent system instead of using the same exact records as general practitioner you have, you may inadvertently used one such system where the pharmacists work on their own copy of the data rather than updating your doctor's records directly in their computers.

they absolutely do not have everyones records and in fact that would be a hipaa violation. The only way CVS would have your records is if they've been authorized to look at them and then that would require an active internet connection. In your scenario where you've taken out the internet for the provider, be it hospital, pharmacy, or whatever, unless you have previously interacted with them they are not going to have access to your records if their access to the HIE over the internet is down. Even if they have previously interacted with you theres no guarantee they will have up to date records.

If the us were a tiny monoculture then maybe pushing records to everyone provider everywhere might be viable but in the US its absolutely not nor would I want it to be. Its a massive security risk.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
In modern healthcare the way it works with HIEs is your PCP has pretty much everything going on with you and then if you visit elsewhere the new provider can pull the consistent records for you from the HIE and then push their results back to anyone interested in your data (your pcp). This results in accurate and up to date information. Everything is basically immediately consistent or not used.

The whole reason you're calling the pharmacist to confirm an order is because you need immediate consistency in the view of the patient's history. if you're stuck waiting for eventual consistency you'll be too late to help the patient. Theres also no real way to say that in the event of a network issue some data is more important than other data so you should sync the important data first. Its a clinical decision the computer cant make.

Once the data is consistent then the computer can help and can do things like point out medication errors. That is, if the humans using the system don't ignore it

And when you're talking about the data within the local emr, consistency is always more important than performance and if performance is a problem in your local instance it means you've hosed something up. like maybe you used a javascript based back end.

Even in the overall HIE performance shouldn't really be an issue since there really isn't much going on in there. Certainly not like what youd see in a financial or social network.

Your alarm scenario is totally different. If dropping alarms is ok then you never needed a consistent view to begin. Theres no such thing as data you can drop for later in healthcare.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

They do. But the idea that "lol nosql you can't have inconsistencies" I think is reductive.

I think the best example for that is source control -- git, svn or whatever.

They do not provide a consistent view. Everyone works on a local version of the code, all copies and visions diverge, and only once they are committed and merged in the same servers does the tool expose the underlying data conflicts to the user (if it can't fix them), and you, the operator, are called to the rescue. The storage model is not transactional, it is not based on two-phase commits or on quorums. It is a historical log of edits and decisions, with complete support for users to alter and add more fixes on top of it.

Can you imagine building a source control tool on a relational SQL model only? Chances are you'd have to just retrofit the log-append structure onto the relational model and you'd lose all useful guarantees anyway.

I find it kind of baffling that so many people dismiss anything not-SQL so willingly when their own tools do not implement or use that model for the most part. Adopt a solution that fits the problem space.

Git allows you to throw away consistency so its a bad example, but you could definitely implement something like svn in sql. The server is always consistent and the clients are either up to date or out of sync. Theres no situation where a client is ever consistent and the server is not.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
code that is uncommitted is effectively non-existent and should be treated as such. If you treat your uncommitted code as a valid state you start running into problems caused by people getting way out of sync without realizing it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

if you don’t consider clients part of the distributed system, you have an incomplete view of your distributed system, and end up pushing that complexity back onto the users.

source control is not a distributed system

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

eh that stuff is v complicated so i think the length is warranted, and its good material despite the condescending start

oic. given how busted merging anything is in svn, i'd have assumed its users would be even more knowledgeable than git users about the perils of inconsistent state

uncommitted code is not valid code. git adds a bunch of uncertain state by giving you no authoritative repo so everyone's repos are both correct and wrong at all times. with subversion there is one authoritative repo and everyone else is wrong. You can make changes to the authoritative repo to change its state, but whatever its state is is always correct. branching is included in the state of the repo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eventual consistency is fine for a lot of stuff as long as the delay is acceptable for the use case. ex: atm withdrawls (or card payments in general) can be eventually consistant because the money going in and out isn't critical and/or the consumer has been informed of the delay. eventual consistency doesn't work at all for something like an inventory system where the delay can and will result in overutilization of inventory during peak usage. At that point delaying the user's ability to access the inventory through apparent application slowness is more acceptable than promising the user an item you don't actually have in inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah MySQL can be used successfully for basic stuff even if there are better options.

• Locked thread