Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

that tax poo poo is pretty bad and not cool

also drat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R59TevgzN3k

y’all probably seen this but ouch
where's the part where the dude dies in conflagration when his phone explodes in his pocket

the bit at the end with the dongle though is pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lmaooooo

https://twitter.com/0xAmit/status/935646410820726784

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 29, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I got an anroid finally a couple weeks ago when my dumbphone broke

it's very needs suiting

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Class action lawsuits are starting over the battery thing. Grats to all iPhone havers getting a $0.34 credit towards a new iPhone several years from now

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

infernal machines posted:

i'm still trying to figure out how the lifecycle management thing is a "thing"

like, the preferred system would be for your phone to start shutting off at 30% charge after two years, like an android?
Does iOS warn you about battery condition at all?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

when it hits a certain point yes. that point is below the one where the throttling kicks in though

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah, they give you a polite thing telling you the battery endurance is low and you should consider servicing it.

If that's the case i dunno if it's really deceptive. The answer is to just give the user more info sooner.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

shaggar knows dick-all about industrial design. to make the battery user replaceable the phone has to be bigger or the battery smaller

if you're used to some brick-looking piece of poo poo like the lumia 940 this probably sounds like a reasonable option
The phones are too loving thin anyway who cares

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lots of not yospos people seem to like the echo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You're looking at it wrong

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sagebrush posted:

windows 10 is Real Good and shaggar was right that people doing Actual Work do it from windows.

come and watch some of my students try to use SolidWorks on a macbook, with no physical escape key or forward-delete key, through parallels, with the trackpad that doesn't middle-click and which scrolls in a hosed up manner, and see how long you last
As someone who deals with Engineering software in education we've basically made it a point to tell the parents of incoming students to not buy macs.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sagebrush posted:

buncha my students have the new macbook keyboard and whenever i'm showing them some code or w/e it's all can do to stop myself from commenting on how bad it is
We've had some long-time Mac ecosystem people either buying old Macbooks or just buying latitudes/precisions and getting used to Windows because the new Macbooks have gone over so poorly.

I had to go save one of my student workers a while back from a prof who had ordered one of the new macbooks and somehow managed to miss the part where he was going to have to throw basically all his old poo poo away and enter the dongleverse.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

THC posted:

also lol thanks tim

where I come from this is called "walking" but i guess in cupertino nobody walks further than the distance to their car unless they're "working out"
It thinks youre 'working out' because your vitals indicate the walk to your car has put you on the verge of death

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

poty posted:

move that bitch poo poo out of the way pro coming through

https://videos.winfuture.de/8908.mp4
we got a prof who has like 7-8 of those tableputers

i dunno what he uses them for but apparently it works and he likes them :shrug:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

GenJoe posted:

lol this is genious
It probably won't save their business model in the end as the synthetic diamonds get cheaper/easier to produce.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

also it would be kind of funny to have cremnob here just to see his super weird reaction to this lol

Nah it's cool he isn't here

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SO DEMANDING posted:

guy who makes simpsons memes music videos has mac problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMajQaEwl1Y

lol fusion drive
This is consistent with the experiences the rapidly decreasing amount of Mac users I've dealt with in the last few years.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

your first mistake was using macs in a business environment. the only business case for using a mac is writing ios software

or running an art gallery or boutique where your POS just has to match the minimalist brushed aluminum aesthetic
No one here who works in any of the engineering colleges can run any of the software they need in MacOS*. If anyone has a macbook you know they either do nothing of real value or they just like blowing grant money on an SSH terminal

Which hey, if you have the extra grant money and it's use it or lose it why not I guess

*this is not an endorsement of the quality of engineering-related software- all of which is bad

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

solidworks: yes, this is literally as good as it gets
You can tell it wasn't originally developed by Dassault because it's not a total piece of poo poo like all of the rest of their stuff

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We don't really have any issues with the hundreds of latitudes and precisions we order outside of people dropping them and breaking them somehow

We order the odd xps off and on and those generally never come back to us either

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
None of our Mac havers use the magic mouse

It's either a tragic macpad or a proper wireless mouse

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Amethyst posted:

15% drop in revenue. can't wait to be told why this is good for apple
who is it that comes in all smug about how the stock is fine/gonna be fine every time bad stuff happens

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Endless Mike posted:

you should definitely switch to the os that has spying built in as a feature rather than a bug
You're acting like both don't have it as a feature.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If I was a desktop user I'd be terrified of what the iphone engineers would do to the iMac. I really dunno what else you can do to the iMac design at this point outside of actually just making it a bit bigger so it can have proper cooling, adding more i/o, or upgrading the screen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
How hard is it to make a less bulky cheesegrater Mac Pro

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Schadenboner posted:

Insufficiently disruptive.
I'd bet money we'd end up seeing them copy the Surface desktop thing

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Endless Mike posted:

so adding a hinge to the imac
And making it touch

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The XPS is pretty good but really the newer Precisions are good too. Dell's enterprise class stuff is perfectly fine for 99% of people and has been for a long time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/MaxTemkin/status/1110273164796407810

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shaggar posted:

applecare is a total joke compared to dell proplus
Basically any of the better support plans from any halfway large OEM is better than Applecare

Like yeah Dell support is miles better than anything offered by Apple but it's not exactly a tall bar to leap over

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

yeah, it's complete nonsense because even dell's baseline xeon* workstation with the fisherprice options start at like $2500.
Baseline Precision desktops start at around $1000ish with "why not just buy an optiplex" hardware

But we're contracted so our pricing structure is different

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sagebrush posted:

from what i observe with my students, i suspect we're entering an era where the trackpad is the "normal" way to interact with a computer and a mouse is a weird secondary peripheral only used by old people.

i tell them again and again to please just go and spend ten bucks on a three-button mouse, it will at least double your working speed and it's far more accurate than a trackpad, plus your joints will will thank you, just trust me on this one it's causing me physical pain to see you struggling with solidworks by dragging your finger around like a toddler

but there's a few in every class who say "i just like the trackpad and i've kind of gotten used to it now lol" and they'll stubbornly stick with it, even when they're literally rotating the viewport with the loving arrow keys

drag, drag, drag, pause, drag, drag, drag, pause, click "oops" drag, drag, drag "oops" drag, drag, drag
We got around this by just buying 3d mice for our cad labs and making it required to learn how to use them

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FMguru posted:

no, foobar is capable of outputting sound

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Do people still even work in prores?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So which one of you mutants is gonna buy a pro

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Does literally anyone use opencl

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

cinci zoo sniper posted:

parallel workloads are good on zen, yes. in particular, epyc chips are great value and could be a dece fit for new mac pro for some purposes. not everything is a parallel workload though, and not all ryzens are equal (also lol @ amd mobile offerings, be it zen or second coming of christ himself)
zen2 would work perfectly fine but I think AMD has a weird way of binning officially sanctioned workstation Ryzens despite all of them technically supporting ECC memory.

It's strange to say it but for desktop CPUs there isn't a fantastic reason to go Intel anymore.

Gpus on the other hand, yeah no Vega kinda sucks

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SRQ posted:

sweet Jesus how the gently caress is that supposed to compete with Epyc in any way
No one ever got fired for buying intel

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Endless Mike posted:

don't these frequently fail
These things get deployed for signage and other poo poo all over the university I work at and we haven't had very many fail at all despite people shoving them in enclosures with no ventilation half the time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the new pro is a legit joke and not worth the money by any standard, but it is still somehow less of a joke than the trashcan pro because its thermal solution might actually work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Vesa mounts run $25-150 but at the higher end of that range you're usually getting support for multiple monitors and articulated arms and the like