Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

At the beginning of October this year, a series of articles from The New York Times and The New Yorker detailed a series of allegations against Harvey Weinstein, movie producer, founder of Miramax and The Weinstein Company, detailing a history of sexually abusing young women and attempting to destroy the careers of women who refused his advances. He held a very well-established place in the Hollywood hierarchy and was able to keep this under wraps for the first few decades of his career, but after the initial articles came out, a huge outpouring of stories from women who were also groped, grabbed, assaulted and raped by Weinstein followed, and he quickly lost his job and was excommunicated from the Academy. In the following weeks, further accusations were brought against a wide swath of abusers in Hollywood, including directors, actors, producers, and other high ranking members of production companies. It’s barely been a month since the first articles were published and we’ve seen men in this field and others who have had their bad behavior brought to light, and there will more than likely be more to come.

This has led to a greater conversation about how Hollywood works, how powerful men are able to cover up horrific behavior with money and fame on their side, and just how many women (and men) in Hollywood have similar stories of men who who were unconcerned with their boundaries and thought they could say or grab or do whatever they wanted. People are now taking a look at things they’ve done, or that have been done to them, and realizing that it’s not just “how the industry works,” but a serious problem that needs to be fixed so that future generations don’t have to deal with dumb bullshit.

This thread is here for people to discuss allegations that have been brought up in the last week, allegations that have existed for years or even decades, and how Hollywood’s culture has allowed these men to flourish.

This thread is not here for dumb bullshit. GonSmythe, esteemed CD Mod, was apprehensive about this thread existing:

GonSmithe posted:

I'm gonna have to say no on a thread specifically about that. It's just going to devolve into people arguing in bad faith or trolling or siding with rapists and I'm just going to end up closing it.

So this is a warning that this discussion is gonna be closely monitored and that bad faith arguments, trolling, and siding with rapists is not gonna be tolerated here. If you want to do that garbage go to Reddit.

I’m gonna put a list of articles in this first post that are the stories of the women who have come out and told their stories: (this list is incomplete, if there’s something you read that you think others should read post it and I’ll add it to this list!)

Here's the initial New York Times article about Weinstein. This includes allegations from, among others, Ashley Judd and Ambra Battilana, who wore a recording device in a confrontation with Weinstein after he groped her. The tape is featured here, and is worth listening to if you can stomach it.
This is the New Yorker article from Ronan Farrow that came out a few days later. Farrow is the son of Woody Allen, who will definitely be a topic of discussion in his this thread. This article has stories from Asia Argento and Mira Sorvino, among others.
This is an NYT OpEd from Lupita Nyong’o, detailing a pre-fame meeting with Weinstein turned attempted casting couch encounter.
A Guardian article about Rose McGowan, who has said that Weinstein raped her, and her speaking out over the last month, particularly accusing Amazon Studios head of production Roy Price (who has been accused himself of sexually assaulting a producer on an Amazon show) of ignoring her when she revealed that to him.

Also, here is a depressing list of Hollywood people telling stories about their own personal experiences with sexual harassment/abuse in Hollywood. This ranges from simple tweets acknowledging that it happens to actual stories of incidents. If you want an idea of exactly how prevalent this sort of behavior is in the industry, just read all the way to the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

List of Accused Folks in Hollywood:

Harvey Weinstein - ür-indie producer, head of Miramax and The Weinstein Company
Kevin Spacey - Oscar winner, star of American Beauty and House of Cards
Brett Ratner - director of X-Men: The Last Stand and the Rush Hourhttps://jezebel.com/oliver-stone-has-also-been-accused-of-being-a-creep-1819449654
Oliver Stone - director of JFK, Natural Born Killers
Roy Price - Amazon Studios Head of Development
Dustin Hoffman - Oscar winner, star of The Graduate, Kramer vs. Kramer
Ben Affleck - Batman, Oscar winner for Argo/Good Will Hunting
Jeremy Piven - Entourage star
Danny Masterson - The Ranch and That 70's Show star, scientologist
James Toback - 80's director
David Guillod - Atomic Blonde Producer, former manager
John Grissom - was in 2 movies, alleged abuser of Corey Feldman
Louis C.K. - star/creator of Louie, stand-up comedian
Matthew Weiner - Creator of Mad Men
Charlie Sheen - is Charlie Sheen
Allison Mack - Smallville, crazy loving sex cult
Robert Knepper - star of Gas Food Lodging, Prison Break
Steven Segal - fat white kung-fu man
Jeffery Tambor - star of Transparent, Arrested Development

Men in other fields who have been in the news for this in the last few months or so:
Mark Halperin
R. Kelly
Terry Richardson
George H. W. Bush
The US House of Representatives
NPR/The New Republic
Fidelity investment group
John Besh
Donald Trump, Bill O’Reilly and Roger Ailes/Fox News (I'm aware this was earlier in the year but it's a remarkably similar example of a company's culture being completely toxic)

Presidents emeritus of the Hollywood Rapists Union:
Roman Polanski
Woody Allen
Bill Cosby

If there are more names to add here, put them (and an article listing the allegations) in a post and I'll tack them on here.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 10, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

This whole thing has also been great at exposing which men in Hollywood are perfectly OK with the status quo and either continually put their feet in their mouths or just keep quiet and hope that no one asks them how they feel about it.

See: Baldwin, Alec. He said something stupid (because he made a documentary with James Toback about getting a movie made that featured an interview with Roman Polanski a few years ago and is apparently having a hard time reckoning with the fact that his bro is a big ol' creep) and when Asia Argento kept poking at him on Twitter he got so mad that he made angry tweets from the official account of his non-profit about Argento and her husband.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Here's a classic "Hollywood gives no fucks about victims" story: Your favorite director probably signed a letter asking the Swiss government to release Roman Polanski after he was arrested in 2009 on the warrant for his arrest that has existed since he fled the US in 1977. (most of these names are internationally based directors but there are plenty of recognizable American names on there.

Fatih Akin
Stephane Allagnon
Woody Allen
Pedro Almodovar
Wes Anderson
Jean-Jacques Annaud
Alexandre Arcady
Fanny Ardant
Asia Argento
Darren Aronofsky
Olivier Assayas
Alexander Astruc
Gabriel Auer
Luc Barnier
Christophe Barratier
Xavier Beauvois
Liria Begeja
Gilles Behat
Jean-Jacques Beineix
Marco Bellochio
Monica Bellucci
Djamel Bennecib
Giuseppe Bertolucci
Patrick Bouchitey
Paul Boujenah
Jacques Bral
Patrick Braoudé
Andre Buytaers
Christian Carion
Henning Carlsen
Jean-Michel Carre
Patrice Chereau
Elie Chouraqui
Souleymane Cisse
Alain Corneau
Jerome Cornuau
Miguel Courtois
Dominique Crevecoeur
Alfonso Cuaron
Luc et Jean-Pierre Dardenne
Jonathan Demme
Alexandre Desplat
Rosalinde et Michel Deville
Georges Dybman
Jacques Fansten
Joël Farges
Gianluca Farinelli
Jacques Fansten
Etienne Faure
Michel Ferry
Scott Foundas
Stephen Frears
Thierry Fremaux
Sam Gabarski
René Gainville
Tony Gatlif
Costa Gavras
Jean-Marc Ghanassia
Terry Gilliam
Christian Gion
Marc Guidoni
Buck Henry
David Heyman
Laurent Heynemann
Robert Hossein
Jean-Loup Hubert
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
Gilles Jacob
Just Jaeckin
Alain Jessua
Pierre Jolivet
Kent Jones
Roger Kahane,
Nelly Kaplan
Wong Kar Waï
Ladislas Kijno
Harmony Korine
Jan Kounen
Diane Kurys
Emir Kusturica
John Landis
Claude Lanzmann
André Larquié
Vinciane Lecocq
Patrice Leconte
Claude Lelouch
Gérard Lenne
David Lynch
Michael Mann
François Margolin
Jean-Pierre Marois
Tonie Marshall
Mario Martone
Nicolas Mauvernay
Radu Mihaileanu
Claude Miller
Mario Monicelli
Jeanne Moreau
Sandra Nicolier
Michel Ocelot
Alexander Payne
Richard Pena
Michele Placido
Philippe Radault
Jean-Paul Rappeneau
Raphael Rebibo
Yasmina Reza
Jacques Richard
Laurence Roulet
Walter Salles
Jean-Paul Salomé
Marc Sandberg
Jerry Schatzberg
Julian Schnabel
Barbet Schroeder
Ettore Scola
Martin Scorcese
Charlotte Silvera
Abderrahmane Sissako
Paolo Sorrentino
Guillaume Stirn
Tilda Swinton
Jean-Charles Tacchella
Radovan Tadic
Danis Tanovic
Bertrand Tavernier
Cécile Telerman
Alain Terzian
Pascal Thomas
Giuseppe Tornatore
Serge Toubiana
Nadine Trintignant
Tom Tykwer
Alexandre Tylski
Betrand Van Effenterre
Wim Wenders

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Egbert Souse posted:

Eh, that's true.

Reminds me of when everyone sat on their hands for Elia Kazan and Leni Riefenstahl in the memorial thing, but Polanski got an ovation.

this checks out, there are very few nazis or scabs in Hollywood, but there are a whole bunch of abusers.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

precision posted:

In the indie rock world, usually the worst you get is married couples writing songs about each other while in the same band. For the most part, everyone is too polite (or obsessed with being seen as polite) to do anything creepy (except on a local level, but that's just people being people). And it's just as often female on male predatory behavior when it does happen.

I'm gonna call bullshit on this because I've seen enough articles on Pitchfork and Stereogum in the last year about people being kicked out of bands or having accusers come out and tell their stories that it's probably just as bad, just that it's spread out since all of Indie Rock isn't based out of one or two cities as much as the Film/TV industry are.

Alex Calder
Ben Hopkins (PWR BTTM)
Jo Capitalcide (Zex)
Claudio Palmieri (Crystal Castles)
Matt Mondanile (Ducktales, Real Estate)
William Benjamin Bensussen (The Gaslamp Killer)

This is all just indie rock too, the poo poo that goes on in hip-hop and radio pop is probably even worse (Ke$ha's story predates the Weinstein stuff by a few years but should have been a canary in the coal mine).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ho-lee poo poo y’all

https://twitter.com/ronanfarrow/status/927680764115898371

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

precision posted:

Speaking of Rose McGowan, I have to think Gregg Araki is on the chopping block. I'm honestly amazed he hasn't had anyone come forward yet.

any particular reason, other than that McGowan was 16 when they filmed Doom Generation? I've heard really good things about a lot of his movies, especially Mysterious Skin.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this is some hollywood babylon poo poo right here

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

dont even fink about it posted:

Jeremy Piven has now accumulated three sexual assault allegations.

two more and he can go back to "Douchey Hairpieces R Us" and get a free one

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/928712359857836032

This is the most "there is much much more to this story" paragraph in the whole thing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i updated teh op with C.K., Segal, Matthew Weiner, Charlie Sheen, and a few others

god this is depressing

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Len posted:

I thought better of my friends. I really hope this guys being his normal contrary self and doesn't mean it.

ask him how he'd feel if it was his boss, and if he felt that if he did "get the gently caress up and move" he'd destroy his career. like, it's not just "some rear end in a top hat on the train" doing this, it's someone who is either a direct superior or someone who is well respected and has a lot of power in the field that all of the people involved are in.

and then if he continues to say dumb poo poo just drop him like a hot, masturbating rock.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

basic hitler posted:

Brace yourself for backlash in general. Someone will get hit by this that the general public really likes, and can't accept the accusations against. At that point false accussation wont matter. There is going to be a saturation point as well. Hollywood will not blacklist everyone to the detriment of its own economy beyond a certain point. People will not be willing to let go of their most beloved idols, no matter what they're accused or even convicted of.

Who has a career after sexual assault accusations will probably depend on a number of things. Severity of the accusations, the number, what direction your career was trending prior to the accusations, talent and quality of the work, who your friends are, how famous the person/people accusing you are, how old you are, if you deny vs. if you own up to it, etc. There's no single equation to decide whether or not someone will ever work in this town again, and it might be a very, very long process, but it won't be impossible for some fo these men to continue working, or to lay low for a while and then return slowly.

Look at Mel Gibson, for example. He came to America in the mid-1980s and during the first decade or so, he was a huge star who dealt with alcoholism quite a bit, and didn't really lack for work when he wanted it and starred in a huge action franchise. He said some dumb homophobic poo poo in the early 90s but that didn't really put a damper on his career. He continued essentially normally until Passion came out, when he started to get criticism for his anti-semitism, and then in 2006, right before Apocalypto came out was the first incident that actually affected his career (the DUI/Sugartits thing) and it took about 5 years (during which the tapes of him yelling horrible racist abuse at his second wife came out) before Jodie Foster put him in The Beaver, then another 4 years (during which RDJ advocated for forgiving Gibson) before Hacksaw Ridge came out and everyone loved it and now he's in a big comedy coming out tomorrow. It took famous friends and high quality work, but a violently abusive anti-semite got work again within 10 years of getting arrested for a DUI and blaming the Jews for ruling the world and yelling that he hoped his wife would get raped by a pack of n******. Weinstein might be long gone, but I definitely don't think we've seen the last of guys like Spacey or Louie. People liked them too much before, and they're too talented, for better or worse. They'll get one gig, and then people will say "hey i remember him" and they'll go on some big apology tour and Hollywood will welcome them back with open arms.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Toplowtech posted:

Yet people on twitter are already bitching his excuses do not include "i am sorry". :suicide:

Because if you are writing a statement of apology you should actually use those words. It’s very telling that even when caught and admitting to what he did he can’t use words that actually say “hey I’m loving sorry”. It’s not an accident, it’s a common thing that men, even when admitting fault, still try to work around using those words.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

precision posted:

Also, Ellen Page is my hero for being the first person to say "I regret doing a Woody Allen movie". Finally.

I've always wondered, when big-name actors fly across the Atlantic on a 10+ hour plane ride to Europe to film a movie with Roman Polanski, if they ever give a thought to the reason they have to fly all that way. Like, it has to come up in their brain, right? "This guy raped a 14 year old and ran away from the consequences" has to show up somewhere, right? do they justify it because he's such a great artist, or do they try to play it off as not that bad, or that he's done his time? or do they just push it as far out of their mind as possible because it can help their career? Obviously "i was young and regret it now" makes sense, especially for someone whose career is still up in the air.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

We've seen all the various justifications from various people. Some go with "it was a long time ago and he should be forgiven", others it's "I'm an artist first and foremost and he's a great iconic director so I want to work with him", and then yea there's the ones who kinda openly admit they feel lovely about it but just did it for the career boost.

i haven't ever gone looking but i'd be curious to hear from people like Kate Winslet or Jodie Foster (who seems to really take to assholes, given her casting Gibson in The Beaver in 2010).

Imagine going to Europe to make a movie with Polanski and having it end up one of his lesser works. Like, Adrian Brody probably ended up benefitting long term from starring in The Pianist (or he would have if he weren't apparently allergic to success), but imagine being Walter Matthau, going to Europe to film a movie with a rapist less than a decade after he fled the US and ending up starring in loving Pirates.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 10, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

I really don't even want to think about all the poo poo Jodie Foster must have had to eat to get where she is. Being a child actor, and a sexualized one at that, and then having to live a closeted lifestyle for so long, all the while dealing with the garbage heap that was Hollywood. Whatever she decided was the best move for her at that moment I'm fine with it.

Oh I'm sure she and Brooke Shields have fifty million terrible stories from their youths. And not to cast aspersions on how people are supposed to act after going through trauma, but you'd think that being a child actress in Hollywood might turn you off from working for a man who raped a young woman and (around the time they were making Carnage, the Polanski movie she was in) was accused of sexual misconduct toward another young actress (Charlotte Lewis, who debuted in movies with a large role in Pirates and whose career is largely dead, especially since she came out and accused Polanski of this behavior in 2010).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Another accusation, this time from Top Gun and ER star Anthony Edwards, accusing a man named Gary Goddard of abusing him and raping a friend of his. Goddard isn't a very recognizable name, but he's won some Tony awards, created a bunch of theme park rides, and directed the live action Masters of the Universe movie. This is particularly notable because Goddard's name has popped up in discussions like this before, often in conjunction with Bryan Singer's. The two of them most recently worked on some weird thing called Broadway 4D, to be directed by Goddard and produced by Singer (although I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a movie or a show or what), and when one man brought sexual abuse charges against Singer, Goddard was named in the suit as well.

precision posted:

The Pianist. The Piano was Jane Campion.

My bad, fixed.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also, related to stand-up comedy and the Louis C.K. story, Guy Branum, a very funny gay comedian, wrote a very good article about the boys club as it exists in stand-up comedy:

quote:

At the Comedy Cellar in Greenwich Village, there’s a table where the comics sit. It’s where they joke, debate, goof off, and ridicule their friends. As depicted on the FX series Louie, it’s the most fun place to be with the smartest, coolest comics in America. Every club has one, but the Comedy Cellar is the best club, and the table Louis C.K. sat at was the best table, occupied by the likes of Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, and Marc Maron. That table is the most important force in comedy. There are rarely women at that table. There are never gay men or trans people.

I’m a cisgender man, thus not someone who has had to deal with sexual harassment of the sort Louis doled out to his colleagues. But I am a gay man, so I understand very well the kind of culture that harassment helps enforce, and which is perpetuated by that culture.

Here’s a New Yorker article from a few months ago about the table. It lists 17 comedians, including, of course, Louis C.K. Only three are women, they are confined to a single line of the article. None are gay men. The article defines the table as sanctified space, reserved only for the realest comics, and discusses their hostility to even minor changes to the table. The article describes how these comedy icons “defended the table against comedians who didn’t do standup at the Cellar, were hacks, or were dressed badly.” People who weren’t like them didn’t get to be part of the club. I am not like them. Louis’s victims were not like them.

That boys’ club is the only real structure that exists in stand-up. The patronage and mentorship that good comics receive from more established male comics is how they get stage time, representation, and jobs. Improvisers and actors have schools and casting workshops to help them build skills and connections, but for a stand-up, you’re always just waiting for one of the guys — and it is always a guy — to pay attention and help you out. If you’re not part of their club, you learn that such mentorship rarely comes your way, and when it does, it often has a cost.

Sexual harassment is one of many tools heterosexual men use to remind other comics that our status is provisional. We’re not equals. We’re not colleagues. We’re flavors, we’re different, we’re people who should quietly accept whatever creepiness is presented to us. Mostly, these tools remind us that our status as real comics is provisional. We understand that if we question the rules of the table, if we say there aren’t enough women getting stage time, or that maybe they shouldn’t use that word, or even just that Kesha is more talented than Springsteen, we’ll be expelled.

Louis, of course, sexually harassed numerous comics. He was not expelled. When managers, club owners, and comics became aware that he was assaulting comics, they did not say, “Hey, let’s figure out what’s going on,” or “He might be a threat to the other comics.” They protected him. They made the problem go away. They kicked Megan Beth Koester out of the Montreal Just for Laughs festival.

That’s because Louis’s behavior didn’t hurt the system. It maintained the system. It alienated women from careers in comedy and allowed everyone to continue to live in a world where they could believe that the table, the Official Council of American Funny, was a place only straight men were worthy of reaching. Louis C.K. once said during a Daily Show appearance, “Comedians and feminists … are natural enemies.” The table doesn’t have any space for comedians who are feminists.

I’m scared to write this, because I know the people who sit at the table will see it and say I’m not a real comic, and I don’t value real comedy. Writing this means I never get to sit at the table. At the beginning of my career when I was invited into some lesser comedy boys’ club, I did my best to play by their rules. I kept silent as they denigrated women, or explained to me how I wasn’t like the other gays. It never earned me real respect from anyone, least of all myself. My silence simply empowered a system to treat me and many other people like we were negligible and disposable.

In more recent years, I’ve questioned the established rules of comedy, particularly as they relate to discussion and participation by gay comics. Once I did a TV segment mocking the homophobia of a Comedy Central show. A famous, respected, politically liberal comic unbooked me from his show because he didn’t think comics should criticize other comics in public. He never considered that when the Comedy Central show in question was incessantly ridiculing homosexuality with no gay comics present, they were criticizing those comics. They were criticizing me.

So that’s why I’m writing this, so I no longer have the option of sitting at that table. We don’t need a female comic with provisional status at the table. We don’t need the table to find the trans comic who’s least offensive to them and kind of learn his name. It will still perpetuate a system that privileges and protects the perspective of straight cis men. The table is the problem. Burn the table down.

Also, place your bets on who the politically liberal comic who unbooked Branum was (my money is on Stewart or Maher).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I mean, that's basically every Allen movie in the last twenty years. He may as well have had a brain hemorrhage and died on the red carpet premiere of Husbands and Wives given the impact of every movie that's followed, except he gets to live on, being a child molester and producing lovely lukewarm movies that nobody remembers. Did anyone even see "To Rome With Love"?

In a conversation about Allen, one of my younger coworkers (i work at a movie theater) didn't recognize Woody Allen's name off hand and after listing off a few of the classics (Annie Hall, Manhattan, etc) that he didn't know, he went to his phone to look up Woody Allen on IMDB and after about a minute he said "Oh yeah, I remember him, he was in Antz!" I laughed my rear end off. Like, Blue Jasmine and Midnight in Paris are very well regarded (I haven't seen either, because gently caress Woody Allen with a spiked broomstick) but i think it's a case of Hollywood willing someone into relevance because of their past work. Midnight in Paris was notable because it was the first time he had been more than mediocre in over a decade, and Blue Jasmine apparently lived and died by its main performance.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Heads up, that link right there has descriptions of some very violent non-consensual sexual encounters/rape

David Guillod, Atomic Blonde producer and former talent manager, was already on the list because Jessica Barth (Ted, Ted 2) had accused him of raping her while he was her manager, had three more women come out and say that he raped them. Their names aren't mentioned in the article but one is a former assistant whose account was corroborated by former coworkers and the other are a former client of Guillod's and her friend, and all of them say he raped them while they were intoxicated/sleeping.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ruddiger posted:

I didn't realize Ridley made the call himself and let Sony know after the fact.

god dammit warn people that you're quoiting a post from GBS i read a page of that garbage fire thread in disgust before i realized what it was

also this owns

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/thr/status/929169917131345920

loving the world's largest sigh

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Andrew Kreisberg has just been suspended as a producer of the DC Universe shows on the CW. 19 unnamed sources came forward to talk about his sexual harassment and unprofessional behavior on set of the various shows.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

James Woods Fan posted:

I was gonna say Dan Schneider is next but I realized the parents are all too happy to look the other way and cash the check. Hopefully someone comes forward. I've heard such awful things.

I think he's gonna be one of the biggest cases, and those are gonna take a little more time. I think he and whatever sort of weird young male sex ring Singer and Gary Goddard are involved in are going to be even bigger than Harvey if stuff comes out about them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don't really have any issue with people making a choice to not work with Woody Allen. People can look at the evidence and decide whatever they want. But there is a difference between a decision made by an individual, and a broader claim that Hollywood as a professional environment and artistic community, should cast him off entirely. That's not really great.

Also, the issue isn't his relationship with Soon Yi Previn (and conflating them isn't a good idea).

yeah, whenever i talk to people about Woody Allen and mention my severe distaste for the man, someone always says "well yeah, he's a creep, but she wasn't his *actual* daughter" and I have to inform them that, no, I'm talking about his actual, blood-related daughter who he molested when she was like, 8. The Soon Yi stuff is like a canary in the coalmine of Allen's creepiness.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I had never even heard of Bully before, but Brad Renfro committed suicide, Nick Stahl got heavily into drugs (and wasn't he declared missing for a while, or homeless or something?), and I enjoyed Michael Pitt on Hannibal, but doesn't he have the reputation of being a terror to work with?

just for comparison i went to look up how the cast of Kids was doing, and while the girls seem to have gotten out of it OK (Sevigny and Dawson still have careers and seem fairly well adjusted), the guys... not so much.

Leo Fitzpatrick (Telly): got hit by a drunk driver, had to relearn how to walk
Justin Pierce (Roach): Hung himself at the Bellagio in 2000
Harold Hunter (Harold): Cocaine overdose in 2006

i think mayyyyyybe someone should take a look at Larry Clark

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Martman posted:

Spoiler: you don't have a bird's eye view of humanity.

uh, are you racist against birds man? just cause he's posting on a website doesn't mean he's not a bird.

although i understand the confusion, because I was led to believe that birds mostly posted on twitter.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

WaPo is doing loving work on this topic. They published an article about sexual abuse in Olympic training last night as well. It's really loving horrifying; the obvious lede is the Larry Nasser case but they go back something like 32 years in the article with accusations of abuse coming out of a lot of different sports.

quote:

As the number of women accusing former Olympic gymnastics team physician Larry Nassar of sexual assault has continued to rise this year — surpassing 130, including at least five former Team USA members — victims, lawyers and members of Congress have directed outrage at USA Gymnastics, whose chief executive resigned in March.

While the Nassar case has captured public attention because of the renown of a few of his accusers, it is far from an isolated instance. The problem of sexual abuse in Olympic sports organizations extends well beyond the confines of one sport, or one executive.

More than 290 coaches and officials associated with the United States’ Olympic sports organizations have been publicly accused of sexual misconduct since 1982, according to a Washington Post review of sport governing body banned lists, news clips and court records in several states. The figure spans parts of 15 sports and amounts to an average of eight adults connected to an Olympic organization accused of sexual misconduct every year — or about one every six weeks — for more than 36 years.

The figure includes more than 175 officials convicted of sex crimes as well as those who never faced criminal charges and have denied claims, such as Andy Gabel, an Olympian and former U.S. Speedskating president banned from the sport in 2013 after two women alleged he forced himself on them; and Don Peters, the 1984 Olympic gymnastics coach banned after two women alleged he had sex with them when they were teenagers.

The Nassar case — in which USA Gymnastics officials waited five weeks after first hearing a complaint to report Nassar to law enforcement in 2015, and then didn’t inform Michigan State, where he continued to work with young athletes until August 2016 — is the latest in a series of well-publicized incidents in which Olympic sports organizations committed errors that left children at risk.

Why does this keep happening? Interviews with dozens of officials in Olympic sports and a review of thousands of pages of records produced in lawsuits filed by abuse victims highlight a culture in which limiting legal risk and preserving gold medal chances have been given priority over safeguarding children.

Until this year, the U.S. Olympic Committee resisted calls for changes to a federal law that has, at times, inspired flawed responses by Olympic officials to suspicions of abuse. Top officials at other Olympic sports organizations delayed reforms by balking at common child protection measures as costly and intrusive. And Olympic sports lawyers — victims’ advocates blame one influential firm, in particular — have instilled an unusually strong fear of lawsuits that routinely arises when new child-protection measures are proposed.

“We’re hearing all about gymnastics, but the problems in gymnastics are equally as prevalent in every other sport,” said Katherine Starr, a former Olympic swimmer and abuse victim who founded Safe4Athletes, a nonprofit that works to combat abuse. “People are starting to understand the complexity of this and how this stays in the system. . . . It stays in the system because of governance, because of the people in charge.”

In the past three years, the USOC has improved safety policies significantly across Olympic sports organizations. Criminal background checks and abuse-education programs — common in other youth-serving organizations since the 1990s — have been mandatory since 2014. This year, a new nonprofit agency, the U.S. Center for SafeSport, took over dealing with suspected abuse in Olympic sports.

USOC board Chairman Larry Probst and Chief Executive Scott Blackmun declined interview requests for this story. In an interview, USOC board member Susanne Lyons praised Blackmun for changes he has pushed since taking over in 2010.

“I think we all feel, in hindsight, how could we have let this take so long? . . . All up and down that food chain, there were failures in the system that I think everyone regrets,” Lyons said. “The best we can do now is just go forward aggressively.”

In a year marked by long-quiet allegations of harassment and assault against powerful men erupting into public view, the Nassar case has brought unprecedented attention to abuse in Olympic sports. In the past few weeks, Olympic gymnasts McKayla Maroney and Aly Raisman have gone public with their allegations of abuse by Nassar.

In speaking out, these women have highlighted ingrained, cultural aspects of Olympic sports organizations — attitudes and customs they’ve observed in leadership as well as in local coaches and clubs — that present challenges to the current reform effort.

“Most Olympic sports are set up in a way that is not great for protecting children. You have people at the higher levels who really, really want to win,” said AnnMaria De Mars, a technology executive and mother of Olympic judo fighter and mixed martial arts star Ronda Rousey. “And then you have lots of young women spending lots of time with older men.”

The rest of the article goes into a lot more detail but this is a good layout. I have to imagine the same circumstances surround child actors that surround child athletes. Surrounded by older men who have power and the ability to make or break the kid, parents that might put success higher than safety, kids who are in a situation where if they can just ignore what might be happening, they can be famous and successful and rich and everything you're "supposed to be" in this world.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

got any sevens posted:

Is lassiter still the boss of disney?

Head of Disney Animation, so yeah. He's not Iger but he's a very important person regardless. Which, gently caress him, so i hope he loses his job. It might be smart for Disney to bring in an outside name for the next head of animation, honestly.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rirse posted:

Certainly didn’t protect Danny.

you're kidding right? he assaulted those women years ago. they protected him pretty well, and he's not near as famous (read: important to Scientology) as Travolta. We've seen accusations against him before that have just kinda fizzled out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Travolta's Gotti movie cancelled ten days before release, is it because the movie sucks or is there a story that asked him for comment before publishing? Place your bets!

http://www.tracking-board.com/lionsgate-drops-john-travoltas-mob-drama-gotti-sells-rights-back-to-producers-exclusive/

i mean, the former is probably true but the answer to "why?" is neither of those. They wanted a big release, Lionsgate shuffled it off to one of it's subsidiaries which was gonna give it a small one, so they got let out of their contract and some big money dude is gonna make sure they get a big release next May.

The movie looks like garbage and Travolta is almost certainly someone who has skeletons in his closet, but amazingly neither of those things are the primary reason behind this move.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

remember folks, for every Weinstein or Ratner, there's someone out there sitting pretty despite what they've done. Dylan Farrow will tell you that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/anopensecret/status/938961458636959745

I'm very curious to see what this is regarding.

Also, if you've never heard of An Open Secret before, it's a documentary about sexual assault in Hollywood, and part of it features Bryan Singer and David Geffen, who are definitely at the end of their ropes (in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if this tweet were about Geffen, given his proximity to Singer and the suit brought against Singer today). It got limited distribution a few years ago but it never got a real release, but they put it up on Vimeo for free for a week or so after the Weinstein allegations came out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

it should also be pointed out that another man who Egan named in his lawsuit, Gary Goddard, was accused a few weeks ago of molesting Anthony Edwards when he was in his early teens. He's worked with Singer on a number of occasions.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rhyno posted:

It's all I want for Christmas.

I fell down the rabbit hole reading articles linked on FB, a few people were saying Spacey has fled the country. While I don;t know if that is true I'm really curious to see if that becomes a thing that these assholes end up doing.

you know where they're all gonna go, right?

The Pedof Isles!

ill see myself out thanks try the veal

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i'm gonna be honest, i didn't really believe that story, especially after Haim's mom came out and basically accused the guy who sold said story of actually being the person who molested Haim, which makes a whole lot more sense IMO.

I mean, Charlie Sheen is the king of Hollywood poo poo-bags, but it seemed like a nobody selling a story about a dead old friend for some attention/cash.

edit: also a reminder that the top editor for the Inquirer and US Weekly, Dylan Howard, was investigated for sexual harassment at the work place, asking multiple female officemates to watch porn in the office and making other lewd, inappropriate comments at teh workplace. (also he apparently called himself "Dildo" at the office which is something I called my friend Dillon when I was in grade school until he told me exactly what a dildo was.)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 10, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jimmy Page did the guardianship thing too, and so did Nugent.

every rock star who does this pales in comparison to Jerry Lee Lewis, who married his 13-year-old first cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

GonSmithe posted:

Not exactly Hollywood, but
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/940057446566977539

Somebody close to Bourdain, it seems. Really hope it's not Eric Ripert.
https://twitter.com/bourdain/status/940035834786414592

I literally just today was talking about how much I want to eat at Le Bernadin someday, if it’s Ripert I will be severely bummed. Or god forbid Rick Bayless.

I hope it’s just more piling on someone we already know is a shitbag, like Geoffrey Zakarian.