Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Help- August 1965

Highlights: Yesterday, Ticket to Ride, I’ve Just Seen A Face

Rubber Soul- December 1965
Highlights: Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Think For Yourself, Michelle, In My Life, If I Needed Someone

What happened in the span of five months to go from an album of generic pop tracks to an album of genre defining songs, every one of which is highly memorable and artistic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lsd?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's not. Just different stages in their lives that happened rapidly. Both are excellent.

The Beatles were the greatest band in the world and I won't fight you irl because people have different opinions.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Plus, Help! had... Help. The Night Before, and You've Got to Hide Your Love Away. All great songs.

d00kiemastah
Jun 11, 2006
An afro is the symbol of a man.
It's a boring answer, but it really is drugz :confuoot:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Plus, Help! had... Help. The Night Before, and You've Got to Hide Your Love Away. All great songs.

This.

Rubber Soul is just a slight evolution, not a revolution compared to Help. It's not that hard to get.

edit: also a lot can happen in half a year. especially in the 60s. in case you don't already know this.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The Beatles are trash

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

We Know Catheters posted:

The Beatles are trash

OK obvious troll attempt name me a band who is supremely better than the beatles at the time of help or rubber soul. I say supremely since the beatles were trash, so bottom tier right.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Damo posted:

OK obvious troll attempt name me a band who is supremely better than the beatles at the time of help or rubber soul. I say supremely since the beatles were trash, so bottom tier right.

the doors :twisted:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Xaris posted:

lol

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Damo posted:

The Grateful Dead

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

The Grateful Dead

Rubber Soul, 1965. First Grateful Dead, 1967.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Grateful Dead

The official band of Budweiser drinkers from coast to coast

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The dead sucks.

I like Touch of Grey though.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Damo posted:

Rubber Soul, 1965. First Grateful Dead, 1967.

They were formed in 1965 😉

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The dead sucks.

I like Touch of Grey though.

Hell yeah doggy *chi-ku sound of a coors can being opened*

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

They were formed in 1965 😉

OK sure.

The Beatles were formed in the late 1950s, 1960 if you want to be anal. What is your point? We are talking when albums came out/

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Sorry that you can't see that both albums are chock full of great songs OP is it because you read somewhere that RS was a game-changer or because you have brain problems?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
beach boys > beatles

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I like it when people complain about the Monkees and go, "They don't even play their own instruments or write their own music!" I always heard that they eventually did learn to play (that Dolanz and Nesmith at least knew how before they started, Jones probably picked up his quickly) but the "write their own music" feels like such an odd extra hate point on them.

The Monkees are the only band I have ever heard the 'they didn't even write their own music' used against when there seems to be quite a number of successful acts that similar just performed the music other people wrote, too.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Are these board game companies?

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

They met Bob Dylan and he gave them pot and some insight into different song writing methods

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Wait no I think it was just the LSD

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
once youve perfected pop music you might as well invent something new and perfect that as well

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

Their first album is divine.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

I like it when people complain about the Monkees and go, "They don't even play their own instruments or write their own music!" I always heard that they eventually did learn to play (that Dolanz and Nesmith at least knew how before they started, Jones probably picked up his quickly) but the "write their own music" feels like such an odd extra hate point on them.

The Monkees are the only band I have ever heard the 'they didn't even write their own music' used against when there seems to be quite a number of successful acts that similar just performed the music other people wrote, too.

Its because the Monkees were billed as the American Beatles - so those comparisons are specific to the Beatles

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

von Braun posted:

beach boys > beatles

everyone should love the beatles simply for the fact that otherwise it would have been the beach boys that completely transformed music in the US

how loving awful would that have been, I mean for real

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's
They started smoking pot around Help a third Beatles movie was stalled so they had time to experiment in the studio

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
I really like Rubber Soul, but I just realized it has not one, but songs about threatening women with violence, but only one with a kicking rad harpsichord solo.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

NiceGuy posted:

everyone should love the beatles simply for the fact that otherwise it would have been the beach boys that completely transformed music in the US

how loving awful would that have been, I mean for real

lol without brian wilson the beatles would have not been as good

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Both are great, but Help has a lot of songs in the key of A, so I believe it pacifies the listener's ears a bit

here, check this out,

ProperCauldron fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 14, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

It's not. Just different stages in their lives that happened rapidly. Both are excellent.

The Beatles were the greatest band in the world and I won't fight you irl because people have different opinions.

:same: except you're an idiot if you hate on the beatles.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Revolution 9 is the best song by the Beatles

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
George Harrison once said in an interview that, as each album sold better than the previous, they were given freer rein to experiment. By RS you're seeing them really start to synergize and figure things out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This is a great video/explanation/analysis of the beatles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQS91wVdvYc

They were better than Radiohead.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Revolver is my favorite The Beatles album

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Waltzing Along posted:

This is a great video/explanation/analysis of the beatles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQS91wVdvYc

They were better than Radiohead.

Yeah I cant wait to watch an hour long video about the drat beatles.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carmant posted:

Yeah I cant wait to watch an hour long video about the drat beatles.

It's only 48 minutes and it's about music in general with a focus on how the beatles implemented a bunch of advanced music theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Interesting how all of their solo albums were complete poo poo. Almost like there was someone else behind the scenes doing all the work or something.

• Locked thread