Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh poo poo, I only watched the first two that dropped. Guess I know how I'm spending tomorrow night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

We're the only two that think that.

Most people seem to think it's just a bad tryhard grimdark immitation of a bunch of other shows.

I've never seen another show that forces the viewer into the perspective of various characters so well.

Like the show is literally about judging characters based on how their actions seem from your limited perspective. So it's a story that's constantly showing characters do things for reasons that aren't explained to us. As we get more an more information about each character, things start to come together.

It's really well done and pretty damning of general grimdark badassery.

This is from forever ago and I'm catching up on this thread, but I need to quote it to say at least 3 of us love Tin Star. A+ show and v good at showing how seedy that part of Canada can be (albeit heightened).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lol Anderson/Duchovny/Carter say this all the time and then change their minds tbf

Rarity posted:

Person of Interest is hot garbage :colbert:

:agreed:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I imagine she's done, too, tbh. Especially depending how this season ends. But I've thought all three of them have been done with it several times so I'm always leaving the possibility open she may change her mind.

But I doubt we get another season with all three of them. Maaaaybe a movie. If the show comes back it'll probably be FOX rebooting or doing a spinoff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've tried PoI a couple times but even the promise of Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker couldn't get me through it.

I can concede it prob gets good but I have too many shows to watch to waste time on a procedural that eventually picks up steam.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is Goliath getting a second season? It wasn't an amazing show but Billy Bob was good and I require more Olivia Thirlby Being In Things.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

spudsbuckley posted:

The first episode of the new season of American Crime Story was pretty good. The first season was really great so i have high hopes for this one.

It's weird how uneven the quality of Ryan Murphy shows are.

A lot of it often depends on just how much a hand he has in the writing of any given show. AHS: Asylum, for instance, had the least direct involvement from Murphy of all the seasons iirc and is thought of by most to be the best of the bunch.

It also depends on how many shows he's stretched thin across, and he's been doing a lot lately and most of his properties have been coming out good. It helps he has a super solid stable of actors and actresses from AHS/etc that he's been working with lately who will produce good performances even when the material is a little weak.

Crime Story: Versace iirc has one person writing every episode, and that person isn't Murphy. Murphy didn't write any of People vs. OJ either and that show was loving excellent. He's a great ideas man but imo does his best work when someone else handles the story and he handles directing and working with the cast.

Forgot Versace started already! Excited to check out the premiere tonight.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Looten Plunder posted:

Are you sure you wouldn't just get super angry and offended at all the things they get wrong?

Depends on who Murphy gets to write it, wouldn't it?

I mean if he writes it himself it'd prob be a trainwreck, yeah. But the pattern so far is Murphy only directing and showrunning while someone else handles the scripts.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

poo poo, Jordana Brewster's in Lethal Weapon? Welp now I'll watch it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

OP's talking about The Avengers, which in fairness is legit old and way less common in reruns when I was a kid (and I'm kind of old). Still, I caught some episodes alongside Adam West Batman and Green Hornet episodes some weekends. Enough to know who Steed and Mrs. Peel are. And there was a bad movie in the 90s. But it was more of kind of show my dad watched when he was a kid than one I caught on Nick at Nite or something.

Probably depends on where you lived. As a Canada I watched a shitton of The Avengers growing up. Also The Saint, which has a terrifically terrible reboot pilot turned terrible movie on Netflix. I think Eliza Dushku was in it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh wow lol, that lovely Saint remake was Roger Moore's last movie. RIP.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

raditts posted:

I remember seeing that piece of poo poo Saint movie when it was in theaters, my brother wanted to go see it.

I think I watched maybe half of it and had to stop, it was so bad Dushku couldn't get me to finish it. Shame, too. I remember the last The Saint movie they made being decent. Probably doesn't help this recent one was supposed to be a pilot, but it was bad even without taking that into consideration.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

Wtf there was a 2017 The Saint movie?!

Yep, failed attempt at making a new series. It's bad but not so bad it's good so I can't recommend it, unless you really want some Eliza Dushku in your life. And even then ...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

whowhatwhere posted:

Wait there are people who want more Eliza Dushku?

Always. Preferably playing the one character type she's good at, but I'll take a badly acted Dushku over no Dushku tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

I don't feel good talking poo poo about someone who recently came out with a story about abuse, but Eliza Dushku's entire acting range is furrowing her brow.

Hell, even she seems to admit she's best at playing Faith/Missy types. She's got barely any range but the role she does play well she plays p drat well, at least.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc it only got made because Dushku had a series pending on her 2 show contract for FOX (the other being Tru Calling). So it was a passion project for her and Whedon together.

Still think someone else should have played Echo, but the supporting cast more than made up for her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've only ever heard the best stories about her from coworkers and fans, she seems like a super chill, genuine person. Dushku's p dope.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

it seems like women get called out for being one-note more often than men do. i mean chris pratt is the same in every role. i don't have any strong feelings for dushku one way or t'other but i don't think being one-note is a de facto crime against media

Me neither, or I wouldn't love her so much despite her shortcomings in some roles.

And yeah Pratt is typecast af. I don't know if I can call him one note til I see him attempting a different type of role tho. Does he have any dramatic stuff under his belt to look at, anyway?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He's still quippy, goofy Pratt in that tho.

What a weird Sleeping Beauty adaptation

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

yeah no this looks absolutely god loving awful, like "MTV's Skins" level of unnecessary and bad

i had literally no idea this was even being made until i clicked that link, so, you know, thanks for that :mad:

Now I'm scared to inevitably click this when I get home from work.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gently caress it I'ma go out for a smoke and watch it now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That trailer looks terrible. I may give the premiere a peep, but I've been salty about this series being made for a while so

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

i would literally advise you not to watch it, except that i feel like it's only fair to spread the suffering

down your bleach when you get to the marilyn manson cover of "tainted love"

I love that cover and it being in the trailer made me sad ngl

e: heathers is just one of those movies i think should be left alone. we already had a great spiritual successor in mean girls. just make a heathers-esque thing without calling it heathers imo.

Heathers is v much a product of its time despite a lot of the story remaining universal. But the era, the tone, the cast, you can't replicate that ever

esperterra fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 20, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Didn't hear anyone ask somene else what their damage was so 0/10

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think I remember Pratt being a creep in The Five Year Engagement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-UahrHq4J8

Like, he's funny and goofy in other scenes, but I'm convinced he could play a decent serial killer.

That was a kind of great movie imo

e: lmao i forgot how unfortunate brie's accent was

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

Paul Bettany will be replacing Matt Smith in The Crown.

gently caress yesssssss!

Smith had been kind of sort of hinting at Ralph Fiennes, but Paul Bettany is an equally excellent choice. Really looking forward to next season. Have they said who's going to be taking over as Margaret, yet?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

Margaret will be Helena Bonham-Carter.

FUUUUUUUUUUCK

This is great.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

EL BROMANCE posted:

Amongst all its crimes, the biggest thing wrong with that Heathers trailer is the fact they tagged it as Red Band and nobody said 'gently caress me gently with a chainsaw'.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

But is he Justin Trudeau handsome???? I THINK NOT

trudeau looks like a tiny lee pace and I want to have a steamy straight affair with him

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

Welp, all interest is now gone.

Friedman left??? gently caress that was my main reason to be excited.

But Jennifer Connelly is in it, so I'm still going to watch every episode that show gets.

e: i lied jcon is my main reason to be excited, who am i fooling

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hey, that Good Girls pilot was p good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It is 0 surprising to me that a Heathers tv show is mostly staffed by fellow 'mos.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the problem is that it's still acting like the gays and trans kids are the "cool" group now when really, they're still most often the ones bullied. It's buying into the logic that things went topsy turvy and the oppressed are now the oppressors, when in fact the old status quo still persists. That's the right wing fantasy, and I don't think emphasizing that JD is really a bad guy (as he was in the original) changes that.

fwiw, being the queen bee is 100% a high school power fantasy for plenty of women, gay men and queer folk. Not all of us obvs, but calling it a right wing fantasy is silly to me.

The Heathers show still looks bad. I'll check the pilot out once they figure out when the rest of it is airing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Been loving the Joel McHale show so far.

Though I wish Paul Feig would stop showing up. But it's been p quick and painless each time so nbd.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gary Oldman hamming it up forever makes that movie worth it tbh.

Excited for the new show. Parker Posey makes it a must watch for me, too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

X-O posted:

That Lost in Space series looks crazy expensive, but fun. Toby Stephens, Molly Parker, and Parker Posey guarantee the performances will be good. Let’s hope the writing can measure up to the performances and visuals.

I love Molly Parker so, so much.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm finally catching up on ACS: Versace and this is real drat good. I hope Darren Criss goes on to big things, which is something I never thought I would have said when I only really had his Glee work for reference. He was fine enough there, but Blaine was so one-note and that show was a mess 90% of the time anyway.

Really enjoying Cruz as Donatella, as well.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nate fisher posted:

Oh it was a crushing problem with Jessica Jones season 1. That show had so much potential, but by the time I got to the last episode I never ever wanted to see another episode of JJ again. It is a bad show.

Yeah, same. And it took me like a year to even bother watching the last 4 episodes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

HorseRenoir posted:

Jessica Jones was so bad I couldn't even finish the first season. There are interesting ideas and a good cast, but the writing is awful and it's horribly paced. JJ is one of those shows where they only had enough story for a short arc or a movie, so they have to keep artificially extending the story by having everyone act like idiots. JJ would have been much better if the Killgrave stuff were condensed to the second half of the season and they spent the first half letting you settle in with the cast instead of immediately going full bore with the "this is a serious show about rape for adults" thing

I'm not really surprised that there's been virtually no hype for S2, JJ was so singlemindedly focused on the Killgrave story that I'm not sure what a second season would even entail.

I would have loved for the first half of JJ to be Jessica doing sleuth work as we get to know her and Trish, etc. Slowly tie her case(s) into the Killgrave stuff instead of going straight into it and dragging it out all season. Either that or have SOMETHING else for Killgrave to do other than keep getting away b/c it takes Jessica six episodes to realize maybe the collateral damage isn't worth avoiding the guilt of just killing him already.

I also would have loved for JJ to be played by someone else, but eh. Ritter is great for most of it, I just don't buy it when she tries to sell vulnerable and dramatic stuff. She's great at the sarcastic, drunk rear end in a top hat stuff tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

The Frankenstein Chronicles on Netflix is real fuckin good

Good to hear, was peeping that for my next binge.