Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anyone else itt super bad at their current job and just kind of winging it until the jig is up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

the fun thing is is I can't tell if Im super bad at my current job :thumbsup:

actually this is probably more accurate

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

work sucks school sucks death to mods

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

got my first interview in a long time comin up tomorrow for an ops/sysadmin role. a little nervous since i'm not really sure how to prepare but we'll see how it goes.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

sometimes i have a beer at lunch :ssh:

:hai:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

applied for a position with a company that looked cool a few weeks ago, with whom I also had an inside referral. I had my first technical interview today and it went better than i expected it to go. i havent had an interview in a while, so i had been looking at sample sysadmin interview questions on github/reddit, and thank christ none of my questions were anything like the random fact recitations i mostly saw on there.

will probably have two-three more interviews (it sounds like they will be with managers though and perhaps less technical, which felt a little surprising to me) and not getting ahead of myself just yet, but i kind of wish i started applying around sooner.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 3, 2018

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what is common etiquette for sending an email after an interview as a thank you? Is that considered old fashioned or too pestery now?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my company's not great, but we have an unlimited policy and, although I'd prefer a non-unlimited policy, i dont think ive ever personally had a request denied. I do think it encourages people to take less time off though (I dont have that problem)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

didn't do so hot in my interview today :sweatdrop:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I asked "what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently" and she said "nothing, thats why we're still interviewing" lol :jimfromtheofficeface:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I thought it was an interesting question when I saw it in the op and it seemed appropriate at the time. probably won't use it again though haha

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Bloody posted:

lol im so fuckin underpaid

same brother

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeaaah

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

jit bull transpile posted:

have you ever lived outside the bay area? most of the country is at work by 730 and doesn't leave until after 530. and then they may have another job after.

hosed up if true

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this has probably been posted already but

https://twitter.com/daisyowl/status/1098748868705959936

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

it was awful. i still had a director and was expected to accomplish things, it was just that i had to do all the work to figure out what and how myself

this describes me a lil too well

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my job pays well but not very well, i dont have to work that hard, and i live 10 minutes from my office. but i want to live somewhere that isnt a shoebox apartment and i really want to leave the bay area. how do i get over being extremely picky about jobs im willing to consider. :itisamystery:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i feel like i might be too picky though. is it wrong, when a recruiter contacts you, to open with "whats the pay"? i've been with my current company for 5 years and before that i was working a cavalcade of menial prole jobs so i still have the mindset of not knowing how to dictate the terms of what i want or having the upper hand in looking for a job.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qhat posted:

Never talk numbers until you are getting an offer, this goes both ways. 95% of the time they'll brush it off with "we're flexible, we're interested in finding the right person and then discussing a fair compensation", which is basically what you should be doing in reverse if they ask you about money that early. Demanding compensation talk at the start can shut the conversation down right there, and you can probably find out the bottom end of the range from glassdoor anyway.

Rex-Goliath posted:

don't talk numbers until you're either sure you want to walk and want to give them one last chance to regain your attention or are pretty sure you have them hooked. the longer you talk the more invested they are and more they'll want you on board which means they'll wiggle those numbers up behind the scenes. the earlier you talk numbers the higher the chance they'll err on the side of caution and give you the lower end of things because why wouldn't they?

any recruiter that asks for your number or salary out of the gate and doesn't back down when you don't answer it can be written off. if they fold and tell you the range instead they're maybe ok to listen to.

always try to delay talking hard numbers until as late as possible. always always always. always remember that the longer the conversation goes the more invested and interested they are which means they're willing to pay more

i guess i get that but, why would i go through the interview process if it doesnt pay more than my current job. like "glass door estimates" make it seem like these offers are for about where i'm at now. is it expected that i should be able to pump those numbers higher?

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 20, 2019

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

recruiters are messy bitches who love drama.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Thinking about quitting my job this year and taking a break. Got a nice little nut tucked away and don't have rent/mortgage right now. A little worried about getting back into the job market if I do take a few months off though. Some people make it feel like career suicide to do this and no one will want to hire you with a gap in your resume/if you're already not working. Would I be loving up my career if I do this

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

I took almost a full year off and literally told people “I decided I wanted a break to work on personal projects” but that was coming out of an 8 year tenure at one company so that might have helped. just own it imo, I wouldn’t want to work somewhere that cared about poo poo like that.

this is almost my exact situation, i've been here for like 8 years and i'm just running low. recruiters already look at me like im a psycho for having been at one job for so long in the bay area. thanks for giving me the advice i wanted to hear haha

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that was an old dealio from sa greyforums where that really did happen to someone, right?

ya his name was moonshine i think i was going to try and pull it up but archives are broken lol

edit here it is: https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 27, 2021

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

so I says, the illuminati isn't real. it can't hurt you
                       \

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

i blame the ohio state university for making Americans not thinking critically about “the” being a part of a formal name of something

i blame them for plenty of other things too 👁️

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

for a couple of years, my family lived like 500 yards from 1 infinity loop and used to walk my dog around their campus just cause i thought it was cool. i cant imagine youd be able to do that now, but the 2021 version of my family also couldnt afford to live anywhere in cupertino anyways so :shrug:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

good luck goons. :hai:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

MononcQc posted:

Not all things can be safely automated, and some of them may be due to ambiguity, or ways to fix the behaviour of automation.

Playbooks also sometimes require human steps like "if this type of incident happens and you think there's been a data leak, here is who you contact, the type of public incident you open, how you run the comms, who you escalate to, and the way you start a locked down investigation."

Some runbooks are also lists of common admin operations or pressure valves ("if it appears the system is overloaded and scaling isn't working properly, here are some types of traffic you may want to start throttling, but first run the following query and make sure you're not degrading these critical customers first") that come from layers that are expected to sometimes fail.

You think a release is bad? Here are the buttons to pin an older one and revert the deploy. Here's how you unpin it after the fact. Don't forget to flag people behind the commit you suspect were problematic, and be loud in this and that channel so people don't assume the main branch is safe, then roll it back, etc.

Or in the case of a cascade, they can explain what are the core components or systems you need to protect and resolve first. We have some alerts that come with "so this type of scheduled file failed to upload. Here are some common causes. Also if this isn't resolved in X hours, here are the type of consequences that may happen" so that the alert is contextualized and framed properly.

Like good runbooks aren't about making people do step-by-step scripts, it's about providing framing and support for people who may be rusty with a procedure they haven't run in a while, or providing useful reminders or guidance to let them make specific decisions.

saving this post :)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

getting ready for an interview im conducting this afternoon and tried to pull up the person's linkedin because resume the recruiter sent me was formatted weirdly. googling their name returned several news articles about a DUI hit and run arrest earlier this year :whitewater:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah that one and the 'what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently' question from the op always struck me as odd.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Plorkyeran posted:

we have official corporate values but i really don't have any clue what they're supposed to actually mean

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pretty sure our corp values include the phrase 'outrageously audacious' somewhere in there. i janitor fuckin containers for a living. shut up.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

leaving money on the table to work for cloudkitchens or some poo poo you hate to see it.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fully rested off 3 weeks vacation but still over currentjob. time to start search now... yotj :pray:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hahahahaha

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

classic san francisco baby

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I would not consider a thing that has had a txn at 17/share even in private, assuming a normal ridic large number of shares, as a startup

can you explain why please

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

so your thinking is that the company is not valued high enough for it to be worth it? i genuinely dont know anything about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

oh i understand now, i completely misread your original post. i thought you meant you wouldnt consider the offer, but you meant you wouldnt consider it a startup.