Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

some random recruiter posted:

Hi raminasi,

I am working with Citadel to find talented engineers to join their team in New York. Based on your LinkedIn profile, I think your experience would be of interest to the team.

This group is re-architecting Citadel’s entire post-trade processing system - Citadel is responsible for about 35% of the average daily volume of retail equity shares traded in the US. In this role, you will migrate the platform from WPF and .NET to modern JavaScript frameworks. JavaScript experience is not needed.

"we're migrating all our poo poo from .net to javascript for, uh, some reason. and in case you were wondering, nobody will have any idea what they're doing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i hate drinking with my coworkers, and moreover, religious prohibitions on alcohol are so common that it's an exclusionary venue

i make a very, very big deal out of daily lunches with team members and others

it is an opportunity to get out of the office and socialize with much, much less exclusion or "boys club" atmosphere

unless the company's footing the bill, lunches still require people to put money in to get social capital out, which unfortunately disproportionately affects the people who could use it the most, i.e. interns and juniors. this isn't a dismissal, i just think about how to square this particular circle a lot and i haven't come up with any answers.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

DELETE CASCADE posted:

If it’s a group lunch that can’t be reimbursed then the seniors/leads/managers rotate the duty of picking up the tab. You’re not gonna split across tons of credit cards are you? This person then messages everyone with the amount they owe so they can settle up via Venmo or whatever. Whoops, looks like they conveniently forgot to message the intern

i'm not sure exactly how to fit this into our existing routine, because we're not doing sit-down every day. what we do is go somewhere casual, pick something up, and take it back to the office to eat together. like "today we're doing sandwiches" or "today we're doing the greek truck." so putting it all one one card is actually more complicated than everyone standing in line and ordering and paying for their own thing.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i know how much the interns and juniors make and i am not worried about their ability to buy lunch haha

comp is only half of the equation though. do you know who's got huge debt loads? who's supporting sick parents? maybe you do, idk, but i don't in my case and i don't feel comfortable making that judgment, especially when it's only the juniors (and the hard-core vegetarian) who bring their own lunch every day.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
is gitlab the one that accidentally blew away a bunch of customer repos once?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

haha i never actually read the postmortem. i'm the

gitlab lol posted:

Unfortunately the process of both finding and using backups failed completely.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fiedler posted:

That poo poo isn't worth it unless they're offering at least 6.75 figgies.

this is one of those pieces of job hunting advice that only apply if you're not in urgent need of a paycheck

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

TerminalRaptor posted:

In my experience you learn more about a person when they fail to solve a problem in an interview then when they succeed. Interviewers know people are nervous as hell at these things and sometimes choke on things they'd normally have no problem with.

I read this kind of thing a lot and it does not square with my personal experience of a 100% correlation between solving the whiteboard problem and getting an offer

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ADINSX posted:

It might also be a sign of a company thats somewhat desperate for people. I know we pay under market rate at our company, and I've been in interviews where we're desperately hoping they'll get our (relatively easy) whiteboard problems just so we can make the offer.

So I guess you should ask yourself why a company would be interested in you if you really think you bombed an interview, what else did they see in you? Are they just looking to fill seats?

I was unclear

in my experience, solving the puzzle means I get an offer, and not solving the puzzle means I do not get an offer. “oh it’s ok if you don’t get the right answer, we just want to see how you think” is, to me personally, a crock of poo poo.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PokeJoe posted:

Is it 3rd party? If so, no. If it's internal you'll have a better shot with them anyway

keep in mind that the recruiter will probably get salty as hell if you do this. the company will at worst be a little confused but won’t end up caring.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Space Whale posted:

I just went from imposter syndrome to c level is excited about me

Wtf

typical imposter syndrome progression is now to not trust the c-level's judgment, watch out

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qhat posted:

I've learned that no matter how much even the hiring manager insists that it's okay, you're always going to get a whiny baby in the on-site interview who will disregard everything else in your experience so they can nitpick on programming language.

I went into an interview round without database experience on my resume and making it clear I didn’t know much about databases and one of the interviewers still insisted on asking me technical questions about databases and getting disappointed when I couldn’t answer them

got an offer anyway, but declined it because that guy would have been my boss

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not reciprocal because the candidate doesn't benefit directly from the process

homework done for a job doesn't do poo poo for the candidate

isn’t this equally true of literally every step of the interview process

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Gazpacho posted:

If you don’t wanna do the exercise then walk away from the job opportunity. Glassdoor (iirc) gives each candidate (e: who passes the interview round) a two week paid on site project and I flipped when I heard that. I’d rather take an unpaid quick project any day

these are unfortunate because they’re great for people currently unemployed in that city but completely untenable for everyone else

I did a shorter version of that somewhere and it worked pretty good (even though I didn’t get an offer because an unrelated part of their hiring process was a pile of farts)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
it is 100% for your spouse, but it's super illegal to treat you any differently depending on whether you have one, so they have to weasel it that way. if they figure out what you're actually doing they're going to assume that either you're an idiot or you're trying to grift from them before even being hired, and it will not be a good look for you.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaman Linavi posted:

i think someone here mentioned something like that, or having parents call in after the interview.

it's a possibly-apocryphal helicopter parent story that makes the rounds from time to time, at least

quote:

when i interviewed at Epic in Madison there was a guy taking his family around on a tour of the campus after he interviewed.
for real though if the company says you and a guest and then gets pissy when the guest isn't a spouse or sig fig or something idk, maybe they are bad?? (all companies are bad)

they almost assuredly won't get outwardly pissy. the risk is just that the post-interview conversation will consist entirely of "can you believe the guy brought his mom, wtf, pass." or the hiring team might be so insulated from the hr logistician that they never know. or they might think it's hilarious. regardless, the correct answer is definitely

AWWNAW posted:

Take a sex worker with you and make this a real coming of age story

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i won’t speak to anything else but it’s not true that 100% of thirty-party recruiters are terrible. only 95% are. a good heuristic is to only talk to recruiters who initially volunteer the company they’re pitching. ones that do that know that they have something of value to offer besides just knowing that a position is open.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
and imo if you really want highlight your mentorship and leadership contributions (which can be fine to do) use stronger language than “helped”

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
oh man I’ve got to give an interview at noon on a friday and I’m going to do my very best to not let my annoyance with HR color my input but ughhhhh the struggle is real

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Schadenboner posted:

And now I understand the origin of literally every hit I've ever gotten on the screaming hellsite which is LinkedIn.

:sigh:

yo if you’re drawing validation from the number of cold recruiter contacts you get on LinkedIn you’ve already lost the plot. there are many ways to evaluate your worth as a technologist but that is absolutely not one of them.

hiring is a total crapshoot on both ends and recruiters’ gambling strategies are cyclical. that’s all it is.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Rex-Goliath posted:

a recruiter from google reached out to me directly last friday and gently caress it let’s see where this goes. the last time i interviewed with them it went horribly but that was just due to crazy circumstance rather than anything else.

the problem now, if you can call it that, is that i’m extremely happy with my current job and it’ll take a lot for them to convince me to switch. i normally ignore recruiters even from semi-prominent companies and i’m only talking to them because they’re google. i’m just trying to think up of a way to diplomatically tell them this without coming across as a smug rear end in a top hat but also making sure they get the point because i don’t want to waste my time if they’re not serious. i’m really busy with work and i know googles process is time consuming

iiwy i’d really sit down and figure out what “a lot” specifically means and whether you could potentially find it at google, and then go from there

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i need help decoding some standard interview-speak: when interviewing candidates sometimes they'll ask "what's your day to day like?" and i know that "idk, come to work, do work, go home" is not an acceptable answer to this, but i'm not sure what they're actually asking.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
lol @ all these hot takes about what companies with stupid personality tests Must Be Like

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

sucker who works at one spotted

yes and every assumption i’ve seen itt about my job based on it has been wrong

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qhat posted:

Or, remove your contact details from the resume so the company can't screw the recruiter out of the commission. Either way, do not use third party recruiters who want a word doc. In fact, make that do not use third party recruiters.

third-party recruiters that are willing to disclose to you which companies they’re pitching you to can be ok, because they’re confident that they have something to offer you other than knowing where an opening is

this “something” can be nothing more than “i have access that you don’t,” but in that case using them is zero-cost to you anyway

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

meatpotato posted:

this might be a good time to ask this question then

I just made a linkedin to look for a job (currently have none). Are these messages worthwhile to pursue, or am I likely to be wasting my time? I haven't tuned my linkedin spam sense yet.

90% of linkedin recruiters are trash, but not 100%. i got my current job through one.

you can increase your odds tremendously by only responding to ones who name the company they're trying to place you at up front. (this can be an internal recruiter for that company, or a third-party one who's actually confident that they have something to offer you beyond knowing that an opening exists.) for example, all of those messages are bad ones that are probably worth ignoring.

that being said, all it really costs you to follow up with even the bad ones is time, and if you're currently unemployed i assume you have plenty of that to spare...it's basically a low risk, low reward move.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ThePeavstenator posted:

A good indicator if something is a waste of time is if the recruiter sends you a message that says they have something for "someone with your background". That means they haven't actually looked at your resume or profile beyond having it match search results.

the real loving stupid ones don't even look for keyword matches, they just shotgun emails out at random. i got this last night:

quote:

Hi raminasi,

I'm working on behalf of a hiring manager at Lab49, a financial services firm, looking for passionate and talented engineers for their NYC office.

Based on your background, I think you might be a potential match for the position. They are currently working with a host of technologies including: Java, Python, Javascript, Node.js, React.js, and Angular.js.

i was drunk so i decided to send a response:

quote:

zero of those technologies are on my resume

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Asleep Style posted:

Hello friends. I am starting my job search in earnest today. Please wish me luck.

good luck! remember that rejections aren’t necessarily your fault, even if you get a bunch in a row!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
three years of living in boston nearly drove me to suicide just from having to deal with bostonians every day. i’m not exaggerating or joking. don’t move to boston.

although people from outside the united states and people who move with significant others seem to have a much better time of it for some reason.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bloody posted:

for some thread content how do i reply to recruiters that reach out to me that sound like not idiots like what are the correct things to immediately be asking or poking at or whatever beyond "uhh sure lets chat"

if your question is "how do i talk to recruiters without sounding like a thirsty moron" the answer is that even the best ones are far thirstier and stupider then you, there's basically no way to gently caress it up other than dropping a whole bunch of racial slurs into your response or something. you can verbally abuse them in emails and they'll still respond positively and ask when you're free to chat.

if it's "how do i tell if they're worth a drat" just make sure they'll name the company early (preferably they've volunteered it) and they've actually read your linkedin or whatever

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

a friend of mine developed a pretty severe depression as a stay at home mom because all the other women in her neighborhood were russian gangster wives who wore gold lamé gym clothes all the time and they didnt like to hang out with the nerdy asian lady

the new 2nd ave subway is still pretty nice since it is brand new and not neglected enough yet.

yeah but it's still connected to the rest of the subway system

grody, broken-down stations suck but the real problem is the service

raminasi fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 17, 2018

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
we get a ton of four-page resumes that lists every buzzword the candidate has ever been peripherally associated with and i just don't get it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

mod saas posted:

yes. page 1 is for humans. page 2 is for machines but still pleasantly formatted for humans

what are pages three and for four

“ah i see you’ve worked with .net 4.6, .net 4.5, .net 4.0, .net 3.5, .net 3.0, and .net 2.0, that’s exactly what we’re looking for in a candidate”

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

hobbesmaster posted:

guidance/career/whatever people at the university probably told them to do that dumb poo poo to pad stuff out

this is literally what some HR departments do so its somewhat understandable if the first page is the "real" resume

it never is, the first page is always as useless as the rest of them

another fun one I feel like I see a lot is each listed job having its own buzzword section. and they repeat as necessary.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ADINSX posted:

You'll have to go without me friend, after two "hey whats up" emails, one on Wednesday, and one today... I finally got back a response "blah blah going with someone else".

Pretty sure they would have just ghosted me if I hadn't asked for an update earlier today... and of course nothing in the way of useful feedback. I'm pretty pissed. There aren't a lot of jobs that combine geospatial stuff with big data, and I thought I'd be a pretty good fit... so its humbling I guess. I must have blown the gently caress out of the interview (though not enough to get an early response?) because they have a ton of open positions, so that makes it hurt even more.

I'm almost back to square one... I have some other stuff in the pipe but I'm not as excited about it after this; maybe I need to just focus on interview prep... but at the same time I really need to get away from this job. Interviewing sucks :(

or some director wanted the hiring manager's budget, or some vp pulled some reorganization power play, or any one of a hundred other bureaucratic horseshit things that could tank an otherwise qualified candidate

don't take it personally

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

meatpotato posted:

i got called by a headhunter today, don't want to bore you with details but the process was new to me, and a little funny

first guy i talked to is obviously new, his phone call quality is lovely, he asks the basic and silly questions ("on that project what percentage would you say you were doing architecting and what percentage would you say you were doing implementing?")

he transfers me to a guy with a better sounding telephone who tells me about the company he's hiring for, says my pay expectation is too high but he'll do what he can lol

he sends me back to the first guy, they want me to visit their office in person before they put me in touch with their client!

this must be a test to see if i'm a freak or not, in that case im hosed

if this is workbridge associates run far, far away. they are worse than useless.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ADINSX posted:

Does anyone have experience with interview coaching? I see dumb ads on linkedin all the time like "Ex Googlers teach you to interview!!" but those seem like scams... The concept makes sense though, its a pretty artificial skill and I'm happy to learn it if it means my choice of jobs and more figs.

yeah just do a bunch of interviews, you'll get the exact same experience but you won't have to pay for the privilege. getting this practice is a great reason to interview for jobs you don't really want, especially if you're already unemployed (what else are you going to do with your time?)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

meatpotato posted:

oh, it's jobspring in downtown san jose

i am an unemployed so i'll just use it as an excuse to practice speaking to strangers cordially then get some jamaican food afterward at back a yard

to those who've interacted with agencies like these, how are they worse than useless? wasted time is no problem for me, but if it's something like they try to make me sign an agreement to only find jobs through them i'll just gtfo

there's "wasted time" and then there's me doing phone screens and having the guy on the other end say "your experience sounds cool but it doesn't really have anything to do with this position" and me replying "well see that's what i thought," amicably saying goodbye, and then getting chewed out by the recruiter for rejecting the position for no reason. also they submitted me to one job that i think i would have liked and then never actually followed up with the company so it just kind of hung in limbo.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
you don't necessarily need to have something sexy, my proudest professional accomplishment is a boring-rear end parsing library i wrote that's been chilling in prod for years without needing maintenance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qhat posted:

Even then, I disagree that these bootcamps are all you need to be an effective software engineer long term, there's just so much poo poo that is taught in a cs program that you will never get from a 10 week boot camp. Networking, distributed systems, advanced databases, security, cloud engineering to name a few big ones that I really wish people at this company had even a cursory understanding of.

i think your opinion of the typical 4-year cs degree program is overly rosy

also i’m surprised you expect your fresh-out-of-school hires to be proficient in distributed systems and advanced databases