Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Weird, no map mode shows the lines though.

Also I have a bug where some alien refugees came to my empire while I was becoming cyborgs. They squeaked in just in time and became cyborgs them selves. Later more refugees came but when I set their citizenship to "assimilation" the two entirely separate entries in my species list both turn to "assimilation" citizen rights for a month then snap back to "full citizenship". I'm guessing the game still has these species linked and the already cyborg'd ones are flagged as "ready a cyborg, no more assimilation needed" and thinks the process is over. So I'm stuck with this big chunk of population who aren't even proper cyborgs and that's a bit disgusting, also a bug.

no, it's a bug linked to all uplifted and some primitive species; only the initial cyborg project can correctly assimilate them because it converts them all at once to new subrace, "SpeciesName Superior". refugees are often from such species and can thus be afflicted with the bug, but any pops from starting empires should assimilate correctly even if some of them became "SpeciesName Superior" and others didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

God I'm so loving clever

really strikes me as more spiritualist than materialist

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fellblade posted:

Whaaat, I didn’t see anybody complain about this so I’m interested in the reasoning behind it.

it's too easy to blob up and then buy all of the enclave bonuses forever in my experience. starbase trading modules are way more powerful than solar panels ever were, so if you avoid using starbases on border defense, you can really rack up energy

Spanish Matlock posted:

Does anyone else feel like gateways are prohibitively expensive? You could easily cut the prices in half and be on target. Why would I spend 10,000 energy and 5000 minerals to reactivate or 10000 minerals to build a structure that just cuts down on travel time when wormholes exist?

gates do kinda suck with their slider set to 1x, too expensive for what you can expect to get out of them. 2x or 2.5x gates makes the entire galaxy have gates - most empires will have at least one - but doesn't put them literally everywhere, so it creates a really mass effect-esque feeling of most areas being linked together, but with backwater areas that have to be slowboated to as well.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 1, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TGLT posted:

I mean I'm down for bigger = more likely revolutions, but until then maintenance costs and increasing unity/research work just fine.

i dream of the day that sectors have government types and elect/appoint/crown/etc. governors who have their own political agendas that may lead them to rebellion

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TGLT posted:

Pax Romana's bullshit. It basically just amounted to "winded down the near constant foreign invasions." Nero was an emperor during Pax Romana, and right after him is the Year of Four Emperors. You also had a pretty major Jewish revolt in those 200 years.

History of Rome is a great podcast for listening to while playing Stellaris, if you're interested.

nero was a perfectly decent emperor in that, because he was way too busy working on his sweet lyre jams to pick up actresses, he really did nothing to interfere with the workings of the imperial apparatus; it was very used to self-direction since tiberius and claudius were both pretty hands-off and caligula was, well, caligula, so this wasn't as much of an issue as you'd think. his reputation as a bad ruler is incredibly overblown because the senate thought he was weak enough that a bunch of propaganda could lead to a successful senatorial coup. which they indeed tried during the year of the four emperors, and their senatorial emperor was terrible

the pax romana was totally a real thing. the average roman's life was not at all disturbed by any of the political intrigue you describe, except for those living in rome itself maybe. there is violence during the pax romana obviously, but it's less frequent and, jewish revolts excepted, less severe than you might expect before or afterward.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Well, here's the thing, really there wasn't much of an imperial apparatus for an Emeperor to mess with, the Roman Empire essentially ran itself, and that doesn't mean it had a self-perpetuating bureacracy or anything like that it means that every part of the empire ran its own affairs at the local level with very little intereference or involvement from above, except things like appointments to the most important posts like governor and such (and this was often more of a rubber stamp kind of thing than anything else).

Truly it is not until Diocletian you get anything resembling what we'd call a state apparatus at all.

this is kind of a mischaracterization. from the very beginning, augustus had a fairly large household staff that doubled as, essentially, command staff for the empire as a whole, handling routine communications from governors and directing policy in the significant chunk of the empire that had non-senatorial governors because augustus owned it as personal property. he had a huge network of clients, both inherited from caesar and established himself, who carried out his will outside of formal channels, including some agents you could accurately describe as secret police, who watched the administrations of the provinces for unusual levels of corruption and hunted national security threats.

this informal imperial administration kept going as though augustus were still alive for quite a while after he died, in the sense that they ran the empire in basically the same way as augustus would have while his successors brooded and partied and went into bloodthirsty rages. diocletian formalized what remained of it as an actual imperial court because he loved the trappings of monarchy, and because it desperately needed to be formalized to continue operating.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 1, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:cripes:

Anyone know what that does?

-20% claim influence cost

edit: oh, you're a purifier. the below post is probably correct then

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 2, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's just that you have to spend 20,000 minerals to build a functional set of gates, or 10,000 minerals + 10,000 energy + 5000 minerals if you happen to have a convenient ruined one.

That's actually a lot of resources. 20,000 minerals buys one hell of a space fleet, or upgrades like hella planets. Now I know someone's going to say, "Well yeah, it's a tradeoff" but no, no it's not. because the amount of other poo poo you can get for the price of that single gateway connection is enough to just take whatever wormhole your neighbor has if you weren't lucky enough to get one.

I mean I might be biased because I control both sides of a wormhole from NE to SW in my galaxy, and I have like 4 giant allies in a big federation who have other wormholes elsewhere I can use, but I honestly just don't know when I'd be in a position where I'm so far ahead of the rest of the galaxy that I could afford to throw away tens of thousands of minerals and energy on setting up a travel network.

it's doable by midgame though the 2.0.2 energy changes might make it somewhat harder. having even a 2-gate network is tremendously useful as you can centralize your shipyards, or fight on two fronts at effectively full strength. they're expensive but the benefits can't be gotten any other way so it can still be worthwhile to open them up. as i said, making ruined gates more common makes them much more consistently useful. the wormhole connections aren't always going to be useful for you, if they happen to be then you don't have to bother with gates.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Should I be using this beta patch? Are there any killer bugs in it?

i played it yesterday, and i'd stick with 2.0.1 until they fix the bug in the beta that makes traditions too cheap - which is worse than the status quo in 2.0.1 where they're too expensive, imo.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lake Effect posted:

Which of my points isn't common sense? I'm obviously speculating anyways. Just think about this misuse of the common green and what happens if fewer people buy certain kinds of expansions at full price. There are consequences to group behavior.

paradox has already dealt with this on their end, by not half-pricing DLC for roughly a year after release. they're presumably happy enough with the gain in revenue compared to their old policy of half-pricing after a DLC is no longer the newest DLC since they've stuck with the same price pattern for a while now, so why chide people on a forum about it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think the per-species military unit limits are working properly. I found a Very Strong primitive race to make into a warrior caste, and if I try to queue up a bunch at once, it eventually stops me from queuing more because "the species can only support 14 assault armies." But once they've actually been built, I can add more again.

wait, this is even a thing?

it's definitely not working right if so, you can build as many armies as you want from a single pop though admittedly i've never tried to build 14 armies simultaneously

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Alright so I am playing a Fanatic Purifier and I am Armageddon bombing a planet and its "Planetary Damage" keeps ticking up to 100%, then resetting to zero. Can anyone explain to me what is going on? Because I am pretty confused and the game is giving me zero feedback.

every time planetary damage hits 100% a pop and the building in its tile gets blown up. non-armageddon bombing can kill pops, but is more likely to just blow up buildings

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

How the heck does this work. Pathetic + inferior + equivalent = equivalent?

current fleet is probably valued less than capacity and tech for the summed evaluation. this makes more sense from the AI's perspective as the player is likely to beef up to capacity when declared on if possible, and a low cap low tech player is thus a much more vulnerable target even with the same current fleet value.

this has the side effect that it's way too easy to spook the AI with your naval capacity on normal AI aggressiveness

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Wait, where does it say it's bugged? I thought they just fixed the multiplicative/additive issue, and made each system worth 1% rather than 2% penalty. Isn't that working as intended?

they accidentally have it set up to add the system penalty twice while not adding the colony penalty at all. there's a bug report in the paradox forum and it's fixed already, they just haven't released the first wave of fixes to the beta

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

I've heard mastery of nature is pretty bad now, since it doesn't give you tech, only reduces tile clearing costs, and generally just gives you 1 extra tile per planet.

mastery of nature is pretty good if you play with max AI empires and thus run out of empty territory as an influence sink fairly quickly, as you should. extra tiles are nothing to scoff at and a lot more meaningful than a lot of the other no-prereq perks, the only issue is affording the influence and that's not so hard eventually.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 3, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

How so with respect to the biological ascension path? The capstone modifications you can do seemed fairly tame compared to what you can get from either psionic or synthetic ascensions.

if you're really into pop micro, bio ascension has slightly bigger tile production than the other two because every type of resource has two or more traits that can stack. overall, though, synthetic ascension is much less trouble for only slightly less production, and psionic has the crazy stuff like psi jump drives (psi jump drives only have a 20 day cooldown, they're game-breakingly strong), so i'd only go bio ascension as a small empire that needs every possible edge

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 4, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Same. In the first game I played I set up a network of bastions around every wormhole and a gateway network to connect all my shipyards and bastions so I could rapidly respond to any attack, and it all came to nothing because the only time I ever got attacked it was by pitiful fleets in my fringe regions.

use Glavius's Ultimate AI and maybe Enhanced AI, with high AI aggressiveness ingame and maybe hard mode also. the unmodded, normal mode AI simply cannot provide a challenge to an experienced Paradox or 4X player - if you build your planets up sensibly and expand until you run out of empty space, you'll always win because they often don't do either of those things.

Pylons posted:

I hope they do something to make carriers viable again. They're my favorite thing, thematically, but I just can't justify them with the way things are now.

i use amoeba + PD + small guns picket carriers as my PD screen, but otherwise yeah.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

But you can only do modifications on a planet by planet basis which means you probably don't want to nerve staple an entire planet for the mineral output for example.

that's what resettlement after you nerve staple the whole planet is for!

like i said, if you really, really enjoy pop micro, it's the one for you

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

also you do modifications on both a planet-by-planet and species-by-species basis - i.e. "mod all blorg on planet x into super-blorg", so actually for a slave society that consistently has just two species on a planet - overlords and slaves - the micro isn't really any more intense than normal. i never play authoritarians so it didn't occur to me at first, but slavers definitely get the most out of biological ascension

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eiba posted:

After I put my butterfly people's brains in robot bodies, a bunch of repugnant porcupine refugees flooded into a planet I just settled. They were being hosed up but a great khan, but they were fanatic purifiers so while I'm typically sympathetic to refugees, I wasn't so happy to get these bloodthirsty xenophobic ones. And what's more the plannet the flooded was supposed to be a mineral base as my butterflies could only live on their gaia home world and habitats. Well, I guess as robots they could live anywhere, but out of habit (and a science specialization) I kept them mainly in habitats, and filled my mining worlds with synths.

But now the world was filled with porcupines. Kind of frustrated until I find the "assimilate" citizenship option. That's... kind of creepy, but I'm egalitarian and it's still allowed so surely it's not as hosed up as I'm imagining, right?

Well, after a few years they're all my primary species. That is kind of hosed up. I assumed they'd become robot versions of their own species, but nope. They were assimilated.

Feeling kind of bad, and still needing minerals on that planet, I mod all the memebers of my species living on that planet, who all used to be porcupines, into their own form of (mining specialized) robots. Surely this will make everyone happy.

Unfortunately now my leader and half my scientists, who have been around since I started the game, are porcupine-style mining bots.

The leader modification system might need another look taken at it.

i also find this to be really unfortunate.

i like building up a really diverse empire and empires that accept refugees can get a very multicultural society going on now, so i avoid synth ascension since it homogenizes everybody. one option you could consider in the future is the ascension paths combined mod, which essentially adds a "fourth ascension" where you take each of the tier-1 perks from the three normal ascensions. assimilation into cyborgs retains species identity and just turns them into a new subspecies with the cyborg trait.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

What are your strategies for the Stellarite Devourer? I just went at it with 30k+ fleet set up with lasers since it has no shields, and it absolutely wrecked me, kiting around the system. Did it get buffed in 2.0? Pondering just making a massive plasma vette fleet.

30k just doesn't have the alpha strike capability to comfortably kill the devourer. 40k can just barely manage it, but you'll lose nearly the whole fleet even with plasma and the curator buff. even a corvette fleet is going to take pretty enormous attrition because its XL laser can insta-kill anything and i don't think i've ever seen it miss.

PD helps, as one of its weapons seems to technically be a missile.

OwlFancier posted:

Your best bet is either plasma, or mining drone lasers. Missiles will also do extra hull damage. Normal lasers don't do any extra damage to hull but they will help with armour some. Plasma is much better though.

I almost knocked it out with a 14k fleet of torpedo corvettes plus the dreadnought.

torpedos probably are actually the best option, then! 14k of plasma corvettes would not be able to do that.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 4, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, no plasma would probably work better, torpedoes are good against armour but they can't alpha strike it either. You just want maximum damage to hull because the thing is mostly hull, and plasma is very good against both armour and hull. Torpedoes are mostly good at bypassing shields which it doesn't have.

I had like 120 corvettes total and while it will basically one shot everything it shoots at, it can only shot one thing at a time so the more ships you bring the better.

E: Though that said, torpedoes are a high damage weapon in general, while S mount plasma is more tracking focused. You might actually do better with M/L destroyers wielding plasma because the bigger the mount you use, the more DPS efficient you get, but you lose tracking in the process, so if the thing can't dodge then you might find M/L destroyers quite effective, they might also be tough enough to take a hit from some of its weapons too, maybe retreat, so it might prove less costly.

yes, i think torpedoes are probably the way to go because they are effectively corvette-mounted L slot weapons, which means you can maintain a dual advantage over the devourer

GotLag posted:

Jump drive cooldown display when? :argh:

Is it just me or are combat computer behaviours not really doing anything? I tried going carriers*, putting strike craft on my cruisers and battleships and setting them to "artillery" mode, but they just kept charging in to battle anyway.

* Man is it ever disappointing how much strike craft suck. My 35k fleet jumped up to 55k when I replaced the strike craft with large weapons, and my fleet stopped getting its poo poo pushed in by like 30k worth of space mongol stations and ships and I could finally wipe them off the face of the galaxy.

weapon range is also important for how the ship interprets its combat behavior; if you want a ship to hang way back, it can't be using medium or small weapons. this means, unintuitively, that the best carrier set up doesn't actually hang back at all; carrier cruisers with M and S weapons and a picket behavior will hang out close to the battle, but between the swarm and the line most of the time. artillery-type ships with large weapons are going to be the biggest threat to a cruiser no matter where it is on the field while small weapons are not such a concern, so this seems to be a good position to maximize strike craft uptime and let your PD intercept missiles headed for the line and artillery. strike craft do kinda suck unfortunately, but you also get PD in the bargain, which actually seems quite effective now.

in general, the computers seem to nudge the AI into grouping into 4 different positions in the battle, swarm -> picket -> line -> artillery, but their weapon ranges must be suited for the role the computer is intended to play or they will charge in close.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Can anyone explain the difference in these two types to me? I have occupied a few additional systems that are not part of the war goal/something I have claims on, and the Acceptance numbers showing for each choice are different so I just dont understand what is going on.

in this case? nothing, because you've occupied all of your claims and the enemy has no occupation on you. if they did have anything occupied in your territory that they have claims on, then status quo would give them the claimed systems they occupy while you get the claimed systems you've occupied. achieve war goals would give you all of your claims on them and not give the other side any of their claims on you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Can anyone tell me how I get my Teldar Crystals and other Strategics to give me their bonuses? Or where I can see how they work in 2.0.2 or whatever the beta patch is?

you get the bonus as long as you have at least 1 of the resource, instantly

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I'm planning on going to war with a devouring swarm whose planets have poo poo habitability for me. I can get either migration treaties with people that have suitable habitability, or possibly enlighten a vassal, plus I have robots (though not synths). What happens when I take over their planets and how can I make sure they're stocked with suitable species?

build a robot or resettle somebody onto the world after you take it. if you don't, it will revert to uncolonized after the purge of the swarm's drones is done.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sylink posted:

Is there any mechanism in game to quickly cycle through the surface screens of planets so I can go upgrade them all etc without zooming in and out of the system view ?

the outliner on the right of the screen for your core planets should list them all - if you click on them there it brings up their menu. the F5 screen will let you do the same for planets in sectors.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

I was under the impression that gateways could be turned off or at least not used by people at war with you?

they indeed can't be used by people at war with you

which is a drat shame, the gates turning on should basically be a huge change in galactic geography with both benefits and risks imo.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Hmm, tried a despoiler run just now, but got spanked on my first war a few years in. I'm guessing that I should be making GBS threads out starbases to claim more resources as soon as I have the influence? I was focusing on building up my fleet first, but that obviously didn't work.

yeah, expand as much as possible peacefully before warring. just make sure you set the game up with max AIs so that you can't expand peacefully for 100 years because half of the galaxy is never claimed

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Are some fleets set to aggressive (will beeline towards a hostile in system immediately) and some are on passive (will fight when they get engaged but otherwise will chill through)?

it's a range thing

fleets don't go into combat at a set distance; combat begins at the edge of the range of the longest-range weapon in either fleet. this has all kinds of weird consequences: missile corvette fleets are the best pursuers to trap a fleeing enemy because they're both fast and long-range, while gun/laser corvettes are less easily caught themselves. XL weapons have enormous range so any fleet that includes them will enter combat from very far away while accompanying fleets that have no XL weapons will not and may have to be manually ordered closer.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, the combat system is really weird (bad) and you'll often want to include a few ships with super long range weapons just to trigger combat sooner since combat acts as a FTL snare and forces all ships involved to fly straight at each other.

Alternatively if you want to make a stealthy hit-and-run fleet you want super low-range weapons. They can be useful for clearing out monsters and things in system, allowing you to just "pull" a fleet or two without being forced to engage the whole system.

i think the weirdness of it would be really interesting if the AI could engage in the same tactical position & fleet composition manipulation that the player can, it's just kind of an extra player-only tool as it is though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sedisp posted:

Any word on them fixing the unity bug in 2.0.2? I prefer the beta patch over live but that much unity feels like cheating.

i am playing my 2.0.2 game on 2x tech/unity. it turns out the balance is kind of better with 2x tech, and it evens out the unity cost to something closer to intended.

in 2.0.1, the unity penalty for colonies and systems was multiplied instead of added, making unity much slower than intended. in 2.0.2, systems give double their intended penalty while colonies give no penalty at all due to a typo, making it much faster than intended

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

re: AI

use glavius's ai mod, it makes the AI actually have rational planets, including sector AI

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 5, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I'll still die on the hill that they need to ditch the tile system entirely. It's not fun for humans and the AI absolutely can't handle it in the slightest.

I'm still invading mid and late game empires where half the tiles are empty. I'm still releasing 3-4 planet vassals who can't balance their economy and are constantly starving, hitting their energy, and making them demolish buildings. I've created whole self-sufficient planets, released them as vassals, and come back to look 100 years later to find a bunch of the tiles empty and the capital building some how demolished while everyone sits at 0% happiness from starvation.

I had a neighbouring empire who never built any research stations. Big empire with lots of juicy +4 research deposits, all untapped. Why? From the huge value they placed on me trading them energy, it seemed they were out of energy. They had a bunch of empty tiles on their planets, many with energy bonuses, but built nothing on them. Their people were also starving, I think from buildings being shut down from lack of energy.

Sometimes the AI will get it right and fully build out planets and have citizens with over 50% happiness and generally act like a rational space country, but most of the time I see empires totally unable to cope with the tile or economic system, trapped in an economic death spiral and existing only through cheating to keep their fleet up.

the starving probably came first, which tanked their happiness, tanking their minerals and energy. afterward they spent all of their minerals trying to keep up on fleet which just put them deeper in the hole. the AI drive toward fleet parity over all is one of the things glavius's mod fixes, as well as its inability to escape starvation once it starts

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Got a link? Is his mod ok with the beta?
I generally avoid stellaris mods (specially after a major update) because the game is always getting patched so much and by using mods you've pretty much negated any potential bug reports or balance/technical feedback.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1140543652

definitely okay with the beta for the most part. he fixes reported issues with the AI on almost a daily basis when the game is changing rapidly like it is now. you'll run into the occasional issue, but the AI still plays much better with his adjustments.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I'd say this is my overall emotion while playing stellaris, a real "hurry up and wait" feeling. I'm always waiting for some extremely long timer to countdown. Waiting for a peace treaty to expire, waiting to integrate a vassal, waiting for a mega-structure to finish, waiting for my fleet to slowly creep across the map, waiting for that orbital bombardment to finally lower their defenses enough to invade.

The times when I'm making choices are fun, but there's so much waiting in between that I generally don't feel when playing a turn based game. I think a big problem is that in Stellaris there's no accounting for "production capacity", industry and raw materials are all rolled together into "minerals". So you'll often have to save up for years to build something, and then when you do have to wait some more years for it to finish. What was I doing all this time though? You generally feed a project materials as you get them, no stockpile them and spend it all at once. But then what limits how fast you can spend resources? In comes the entirely arbitrary count-downs. Why can't I spend more to terraform faster? Why can't I have 5 robots or mines being built parallel on this planet? Why can't I spend more to be able to build 2 ringworld segments at once? They finally gave us the ability to do this with ships by having multiple shipyards in a station, this is very good, but it still doesn't address the larger problem that for most of the game you're sitting and waiting for arbitrary timers to count down.

I really wish there was a more Hoi style economy. Doesn't need to be Vicky levels, Hoi would do. Have 3-4 basic resources, energy, and then factories that act as pipes for how fast you can spend those resources. Do you want to build 10 robots in serial costing 1 robot parts per turn but with a 2% discount for each in the line, or produce 10 robots in parallel costing 10 robot parts a turn until it's done? Sure you have 50,000 minerals stored up but how fast your dyson sphere is built depends on your industrial capacity.

paradoxically, 2x tech speed actually alleviates some of the "hurry up and wait" feeling for me. because tech comes pretty slowly, there's less trivial stuff to spend minerals on at any one time, like mass building upgrades; this means you end up stockpiling pretty high and just spending big when you feel like it, fighting when you feel like, etc. you never really feel like you're actively waiting, the minerals just end up rolling in fast enough for what you want to do.

the AI seems to do better when it has a little less pressure to spend on tons of stuff all at once, too

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So can anyone tell me what will happen when the space-age primitive civ that has a planet in my system along with my own colonized system finally hits the next tech level and becomes a full FTL civilization? Will I just auto-annex them like in the screen shot above? Will they somehow get the system? Because shared systems are totally out now right?

if you enlighten them, they'll get the whole system as your vassal. guessing that if they do it on their own, they just flat out get the system. this can be, uh, deleterious to the health of your pops if you have a colony in that system and the primitives are authoritarian or xenophobe

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Splicer posted:

I think, and after this playthrough I'll be making a mod to test it, life could be made much easier on the AI by removing many of the tile bonuses and replacing them with a smaller amount of more meaningful ones. More strategic resource and 2+ resource tiles, more blank tiles, and less or no 1 resource tiles cluttering up the place.

I'm also hoping it will make planet discovery more exiting. If I find a planet covered in +1 food tiles my only real thought is "that's going to make placing the coloniser a bitch". Alien pets, now those are exciting to find.

i just discovered a mod which makes buildings not suppress tile resources. since the AI tends to plow over bonuses that it really shouldn't, this could even the tile-micro playing field a bit between AI and player, i think.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What difficulty settings do you folks use? I usually do normal/aggressive, but am finding that after conquering the first empire there's not much of a challenge until the various crises pop up. I don't usually do advanced AI starts though. Should I just advanced start a load or pop it up to hard?

I don't want to get steamrolled but it's annoying when the game becomes a conquest slog without any real danger.

max AIs, lots of advanced starts (but not too many - 25%-50% of the total AIs), high aggression, hard, with the AI mod I linked earlier. advanced starts are pretty important - in general, advanced start empires are going to be your major nemeses, as they are (usually) the ones who will grow big by eating chunks of other empires. a bunch of AIs at parity with each other are unlikely to fight and thus generate large enemies for you - they'll generally sit around until you start stirring things up, which is too late for them to beef up enough to oppose you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

It struck me that Ascension picks should each have a pool of cool random events tied to them. Like how in EUIV taking financial can trigger inflation reduction events and such.

They could also unlock unique anomalies or new choices for existing ones.

stellaris just needs more events in general, and yeah ascension perks having idea-group-like event unlocks is a great idea.

the stellaris event engine is actually incredibly sophisticated compared to other paradox games, it's just kind of...not used for much except simple binary choices

Taear posted:

Some of the traits I find really useful. The one that increases my fleet cap is great because I'm lazy and hate building loads of messy starbases and interstellar dominion allows me to directly control more planets in a way that other things don't really allow. But +4 starbase cap, 10% research and etc just aren't enough to make them worth it.
Master of Nature is now good in my head because it adds something that nothing else can do and that's what I expect the perks to give.

mastery of nature is great regardless! unless you're just warring a ton, you should have plenty of influence during the midgame to spend on land clearance, and the extra tiles can be quite valuable.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

MShadowy posted:

Since it will always pull from your active leader pool this game is not terribly good at is simulating democracy in anything resembling an organic way. I do kind of recall a period of releases where it was actually better at it, since it would generate random civilians running for the rulers office; it probably got nixed because it likely broke the chain of having to expend influence to buy new leaders to fill whatever position got vacated.

It'd be kind of neat if you had Democracies behave somewhat more naturally with elections to fill stuff like governor positions as well, but I'm not sure how well that'd actually pan out.

i feel like the ultimate ideal for governors and related systems like sectors would be to have them work differently for different government types - dictatorships more or less use something like the current system, democracies and oligarchies elect governors who have their own goals and could lead sectors into rebellion due to ideological differences or taxation, empires have a feudal organization with dukes ruling sectors, who have their own heirs that take over when they die and also get very upset/rebellious if you remove things from their sector, tax them too heavily, etc.