Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of Sonic:

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832?s=21

Can’t wait to see how they gently caress this up.
I'm sorry, what? Are they going to go back and re-render out all the scenes with Sonic in them with a new model? Is that a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

davidspackage posted:

People will be sitting down in theaters watching a slowly filling load bar as the theater downloads the 23GB launch day patch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUFe5LpffHs

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In crazy-conspiracy-land, I could imagine the movie makers leaking the early poster/design doc/bad trailer to create intentional bad PR so that when they reveal the real movie they've been working on, everyone loves it in comparison.

Kinda like the conspiracy behind the New Coke -> Coke Classic relaunch.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

QuoProQuid posted:

pretty sure that the result would be mass starvation due to supply chains being unable to adjust to a doubling of the population overnight and a catastrophic housing shortage.
Thankfully, the writers will explain in one line that in the last 5 years, Tony Stark invented replicators and cold fusion reactors that provide free food and energy to everyone.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vegetable posted:

Jake Gyllenhaal is too good for this superhero poo poo
Uh... you're referring to Jake "Prince of Persia" Gyllenhaal?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Is is the law or something that demands that Will Smith includes that drat "Woo!" in every song he performs?

Also, much like the live-action Beauty and the Beast, this has absolutely no life in it. It's so bland. Like, people are in costumes, but there's no clever action or interesting camera movement to engage the audience.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I mean, people love/hate Moulin Rouge, but it had a frenetic energy that made the movie kinda like a cartoon.

These movies just end up feeling like a high school level adaptation. I couldn't get through more than 15 minutes of Beauty and the Beast. It just made me want to watch the original.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ruddiger posted:

*in Swedish*

"Hämta din röv till Mars." Get your rear end to Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MIlE9R00ik
Movie looks awesome, but the best part might be seeing Ruth Bader Ginsberg pumping those weights immediately after the trailer ends, lol.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ruddiger posted:

They're specifically made for social media. The same trailer's on Youtube at it's native aspect ratio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHBcWHY9lN4

It's starting to become standard procedure when delivering spots to export them at 16x9 (youtube), 9x16 (portrait mode on the phone), and 1x1 (square dimension for Instaram video) nowadays.
Is it just me, or was that Earth Vs. Funk (Funkastic by Rip Slyme) in the middle of that trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCOEh_Dnkeg

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Retrowave Joe posted:

The new Terminator: Dark Fate trailer is up. I’m excited to see Mackenzie Davis, Linda Hamilton, and Arnold. Other than that, eh.
I can't believe how accurate this video continues to be about every modern movie trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOdjqyG37A

That being said, somehow this formula still works on me, haha. I like these slower, darker song covers.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BonoMan posted:

Goddammmnnnn that is uninspiring. And that's def just a second teaser and not a proper trailer.
Seriously, why was the first teaser so much better than this one?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

not trolled not crying posted:

The next Jumanji. I can't believe I didn't see the role reversals coming even after seeing who the grandpas were. Looks hilarious and fun, I'm in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DZ-7OdBWQ
Hopefully Jack Black's "black guy" voice won't be too offensive.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Peccadillo posted:

Also I like that trailer aggregate channels are keeping the old physical copy tradition of putting the minor characters front and center as deceptive marketing after they become big draws
Speaking of, could there be like a rule that we don't post trailers from the aggregate channels? I actively seek out the trailers uploaded by the original studio channels themselves because these other channels seem to be click-baity leeches that either add watermarks or intros or post like a 30-second new clip on top of all of the previous trailers to make it seem like there's a new 4+ minute video.

Do they even have a deal with the studios? Why do average people get immediate copyright strikes and these channels don't?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That looks absolutely terrible. I think I've only enjoyed Clerks and Dogma out of his entire filmography.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

But, it's like, have you seen the original CATS? This isn't a Sonic situation here, the originals CATS was weird as poo poo too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LesterGroans posted:

Lost rules, Prometheus rules, The Leftovers rules. I'm psyched for Watchmen.
I appreciate Lost for the journey and certainly not the destination, but The Leftovers is my favorite show of all time, so I'll give Watchmen a definite chance.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Looks fine. I'm not so jaded that I'm going to slam a movie about Mister Rogers for being wholesome and sweet (and obvious Oscar bait). I liked Stan & Ollie and that was a very low-drama nice story about nice people.

I dunno if I wanted the movie to have this reporter main character as an audience stand-in, though. I guess they didn't want to go with the approach of having Mister Rogers be the real lead. Also, Tom Hanks is playing "gentle-voiced Tom Hanks," it's quite a stretch to have the actor disappear into a perfect Fred Rogers. Reminds me of Michael Fassbender in Jobs where they weren't trying to find an exact lookalike.

EDIT: This reminded me that Drunk History had done a segment on Mister Rogers using Colin Hanks for the role, which is pretty funny:
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/zg100s/drunk-history-mr--rogers-s-beautiful-life

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 22, 2019

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

[pedantic]
Hey everyone, I just want to say it's Mister Rogers, not Mr. Rogers, okay?
[/pedantic]

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Casey Affleck starring/directed movie set in a world after a plague has wiped out all women.
Seems to me there's a massive spoiler at 1:28 revealing that his 'son' is a girl made to look like a boy. Skip forward a few seconds there if the thing looks interesting, cause it's probably a detail best left for watching the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH8a7yKe6rc
Uhhhh, then the whole trailer's a spoiler because the first line is "I'm the only girl of my species. I'm the only one I ever saw."

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ehud posted:

1917 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcmZN0Mbl04

edit: This is the WW1 movie directed by Sam Mendes (Skyfall) that is reported to be all one long shot
Maybe starting at a certain point? Just in the trailer there were 2 camera angles when the men were being given their mission (shot/reverse shot).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

thrawn527 posted:

I did it guys. I found the dumbest looking trailer in the history of trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbNkOwjmeL0

Everyone can stop looking.
Well, sure, but it's just a goofy gag video, it's not a real movie, so I can't rag on it that much. I'd say it's just bad because gently caress Ronda Rousey.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, I hadn't heard it wasn't a real movie, and thought it was some dumb indie horror/comedy.
I seem to remember when people were petitioning Marvel to have Rousey cast as Captain Marvel. Man, dodged a bullet with that one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Peccadillo posted:

This ain't yer grandpa's Disney Channel Original Movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBDnQkQUTGU
Ya know, I had avoided clicking on this trailer based on the thumbnail because I was expecting a corny Hallmark Channel-style romantic holiday movie. I was way off. I actually chuckled at quite a few of the jokes in that trailer, so who am I to write it off. I gotta say, Disney+ is really coming in hot with a bunch of original content.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Teenage Fansub posted:

A young boy training in the Hitler Youth must confront his blind devotion to Hitler and the Nazi regime, which manifests in an idealized version of Adolf as his imaginary friend/conscience, when he meets the young Jewish girl his mother has been hiding in their house.
Okay, but like... is Hitler Jojo's stand?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ehhh, yeah, it seems like they're trying to turn it into some kind of psychic war good vs. evil superheroish movie? Bleh.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

not trolled not crying posted:

Why are people so angry about the Joker movie? Have I missed something, other than it's a movie about the Joker and that is bad because? I like how people are tripping over themselves sharing links to the bad reviews and writing essay length analyses why winning the Venice Film festival is actually a bad thing and not at all based on the actual quality of the film.
Meanwhile, the majority of the reviews so far are good and people are excited for it?
I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but I'm just wondering out loud what have I missed about this particular film that's making people so angry? Since I'm not an American, I can only guess it has something to do with the culture over there, so I guess it's Trump etc.
From the early reviews, I think the danger is that the movie doesn't seem to have a message one way or the other, so a lot of (probably white male) viewers could come away seeing Joker as the hero. The story seems to be about how society has wronged him and he must fight back, which when combined with the real-life problem of frustrated incel mass shooters, is a touchy subject to center a film about without a clear agenda.

I'm just a little worried that it'll turn into a movie held up by the alt-right as fighting for their side even if it doesn't explicitly condone the Joker's actions.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

GrandpaPants posted:

This is fair. I guess Joker is at least at an advantage because most people know him as a villain, as opposed to, say, Walter White.
Sure, but aren't alt-right idiots already embracing some stupid "clownworld" meme now? It's almost tailor-made for them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The bubble has burst.
Huh? Don't these comic movies still make huge amounts of money?

I'm sure if Infinity War + Endgame hadn't slowed the pace of the entire Marvel franchise down, we'd still be seeing the normal amount of major character movies multiple times a year. It's really just that big event gumming up the works for a bit.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So are we talking Gremlins 2, or what?

Because I'd take Gremlins 2 any and every day over this endless deluge of crap from Disney.
I recently watched Gremlins 1 & 2 back to back and was blown away with how great the sequel was. I dunno if you're trolling about it, but I found all of the fourth-wall meta stuff absolutely hilarious.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The anal sex gift from the kidnapped princess or whatever at the end was in really bad taste. I actually prefer the sequel because they backtracked from that stuff and tried to retcon that they ended up in a nice relationship afterwards.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

If you don’t mind spoilers, it’s worth reading the short story this is based on.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

YES, he does the voice spot on. Now I'm excited for the show.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, if the rumors are true and they're going with the original cut, maybe reshoots would have been a good idea. This looks incredibly dull, like a pilot for a new FX show.
It looks really dark, as in, "I can't see what's going on."

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

stratdax posted:

I can't understand anything anybody's saying in the Green Knight trailer. Half of it has weird effects or echo on, and the other half is all grumbly gravel voices.
Tip: watch every movie and TV show with CC on.
That's what I do.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I was thinking this for a time before I saw the trailer, but I'm getting "first Marvel flop" vibes from this movie. Like the idea of having a movie with ~10 main characters that are these distant, immortal beings that you're supposed to care for seems like a recipe for disaster. This feels like the Inhumans TV show with a higher budget. A bunch of cold royals who lord over humanity, real down-to-earth characters that your audience will connect with, I'm sure.

Now some fans might point out that Guardians of the Galaxy was an unknown property as well that was a smashing success, but with that movie you only had to care for ~5 characters that were very visually distinct with humorous personalities.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

f#a# posted:

Wait, is Eternals the same as that really bad ABC series with the big dog?
It's not, but it gives me the same feeling, for sure. Large cast of powered ruling-class characters who have been hiding from the world until now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMMLRnXPPJk

I did NOT recognize Jessica Chastain. Not even a little.
I dunno, I think I would have been more interested seeing a movie about modern-day Jim Bakker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH37W0jPpA

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The MSJ posted:

Oh hey this looks like an intense war movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqeSGjCKV68

Actually it's a mobile game trailer.
I remember seeing this months ago and being blown away. It’s an incredible short film/music video.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Well, I will say that I'm still not convinced about Timothée Chalamet as Paul. Like, I don't get any charisma from his character in the trailer and he's supposed to be this incredible leader of men.
I love the casting of pretty much everyone else, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

AceOfFlames posted:

It definitely LOOKS pretty but it’s shaping to be as in name only as that Brave New World TV show.
Man, that one was such a major disappointment. I was on onboard for the first few episodes, but it just devolved into wanting to be an endless sci-fi “mystery box” show instead of telling a single strong story in one season. I was waiting to see a version of the only thing I really remember from reading the book in HS (the protagonist’s “I claim them all!” line/conversation near the end of the book) and they never got around to it.