Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone heard any news about Drive (or any of Refn's other films, for that matter) coming to UHD? Seems a natural fit for the format, especially with HDR in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...to be honest, I'd think the thin set is preferable unless it has really ugly art or something? :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the funny thing is, $25 is still a decent chunk of change for a used VHS. Disney stuff pretty inarguably holds value better than other common releases, between the Disney Vault, the edits to movies, prices basically never dropping even when stuff's out of the Vault, and content that never got carried over on the LD releases; it's just not to the insane extents that article tried to claim.

e: like, this is a "if you need rent money you can flip your Disney VHS collection from childhood for a few hundo" situation, not a "you can put your kids through college with Disney tapes" situation.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm not a fan of the "re-photographed" look Disney goes for on their animated features. I'd gladly re-buy films like Snow White or Bambi that left the film grain alone. They didn't use the process on the original DVDs of Fantasia and Dumbo, yet they looked gorgeous. They just erased all the dirt and scratches.

Honestly, I wish they'd release both versions somehow, an as-original version and a touched-up version. With Disney's movies, I think there's value to having it both ways.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheScott2K posted:

The "rental price" bit was a VHS thing.

It was an actual thing for VHS, but distributors still charged video stores jacked-up prices in the DVD era, there just wasn't any logistical reason for it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I remember one of the video stores when I was a kid, Major Video in Baton Rouge, having a side hustle where they'd give out their distributor catalogs and middle-man for people who wanted to buy the crazy-priced rental tapes directly for an extra fee on top. I'm not sure if they ever got in any trouble from that, but they most certainly were not around when I was last back there, so I dunno.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cemetry Gator posted:

He wants to exert control over these films, and refuses to accept them for what they are. And here's the thing - the core films are still there. Sure, the new Jabba song loving sucks - but if you want to watch Return of the Jedi and you want the best version legally available - what are you going to do? And while these changes are small, they do annoy fans because it's just something that takes you out of the experience. When Boba Fett has a new voice, or there's CGI creatures roaming about in scenes where there weren't before, or Jabba the Hutt is a small, slender slug, well, what are you going to do? Are you not going to share these less than perfect experiences with your family?

I mean, I think most people who actually care about these kinds of things just pirate the Harmy versions. A lot of "normal" people honest to God barely even know anything's up with the different versions, largely because they've never seen a pre-1997 or pre-2004 version.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like people would like The Haunting just fine if it wasn't a remake of The Haunting. There's nothing wrong with it in a vacuum as a dumb-fun haunted house movie, but holy loving lord it's disrespectful to the original.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
for what it's worth, my experience of video stores was in the 90s, and if your video store wasn't a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video it was basically guaranteed to be the "cool" video store (and even Blockbuster had a surprising chance of being good). Major Video in Baton Rouge had loving everything, including a "Japanimation" section that I remember being badass as all hell because they had basically everything Manga Entertainment and Central Park Media ever put out on VHS.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

The Blockbuster in the next town over from me was surprisingly hip. They had a stock of VHS tapes well into the DVD era that was all manner of foreign films, horror films that were tough to come by, and just generally things that were hard to find or didn't make it to DVD yet. Among other things I remember renting Brazil, Delicatessen, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Akira, and the Blade Runner theatrical cut. Most of these things weren't on DVD or wouldn't be for years so the place was a god send. At that time this was pretty much the only way to see these things.

My first time seeing Hard Boiled was on a sketchy R0 DVD that Blockbuster had mixed in with the other foreign films, in about 2006-2007ish. They also had End of Evangelion at the same Blockbuster as late as 09 (in the loving kids movie section, for some ungodly reason, but still).

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Small world and all, but I have very fond memories of renting poo poo at Major Video and picking up Canes or Rotolos and watching movies all night while eating delicious trash food.

their game selection also loving owned, like, I think they literally had the entire US PS1 and N64 libraries plus a few import games here and there when I was a kid (and while childhood memory is probably exaggerating this, they definitely had some pretty outside-the-box stuff, like I remember renting the first Armored Core game I ever played from there, and Bomberman 64: The Second Attack which is literally the rarest and most expensive N64 game).

i really miss that place.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

As someone who worked for Troma, I can tell you this is totally accurate.

I was once in a meeting in which Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz told me to pitch a Tromeo & Juliet sequel to Comcast entitled "Tromeo & Juliet Do Frankenstein."

This, sadly, did not come to pass.

...I'm sort of surprised they had you pitch it to Comcast? One, they're a bit straight-laced to co-fund Troma stuff, and two, I would think with their low budgets and their movies being relatively consistent sellers, they'd have the money to just straight-up make that (unless they wanted to hire James Gunn back).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

All I really want is a 4k restoration of Master of the Flying Guillotine, but I guess that'll forever be a pipe dream. :(

i'm pretty sure the original materials for that movie don't exist anymore and the remaining prints are in insanely goddamn rough condition

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheScott2K posted:

The nice thing about getting older is knowing when you're off the train with a franchise. After Furious 7 was fine but tonally weird, and F8 was just bad, I know "my" end to the F&F movies was 6, so if I see a 1-6 boxset I can just jump on it and not give a gently caress.

I mean, I really don't think that's a getting-older thing, I'm 23 and have basically the same opinion as you and am tentatively on board for F9. F7 was tonally weird because they had to redo bits of it in response to... you know (and the RIP Paul Walker stuff was a little incongruous with the shooty-bang fun times), and F8 was just a straight-up lovely movie that was markedly worse than any of the rest of the series prior. The beauty of this series, though, is that it constantly hopping directors means the next movie might legitimately be a hundred times better than the last; I don't think anyone saw Fast Five coming even if they liked the first four, I mean.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Delirium apparently has death by bees and an ending in which the killer gets shot in the dick. I'm kinda sold.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so i had an idiot thought in the shower and i'm curious as hell now: would it, in theory, be possible to have a 35mm print struck of a given movie based off its 4K UHD release, and have it look basically indistinguishable from a regular theatrical print?

i fully realize nobody in their right mind would do this, but i still wanna know

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

gey muckle mowser posted:

Def by Temptation sounds really interesting, I'll be picking that up for sure. Everything else sounds cool too, I've never gotten their monthly package before but I'm considering it for this one.

Def by Temptation is really, really good. I'm honestly surprised it's a VS release, I kind of thought most of what they did was rare and obscure stuff and I was under the impression that was a fairly well-known movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
UHD is, to my understanding, the best the movie has looked since theaters. Any remaining visual faults are pretty much flaws of the movie itself (Predator's a bit of an ugly movie at times due to the conditions it was shot in and the film stock used, and short of outright Blade Runner: Final Cutting some of the affected shots, it's... not really possible to fix).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

How long does this last?

I would guess through October, from the name.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

I got that set just before they became unobtainable and it's pure sex.

ALSO!

Deep Discount DVD is having a buy one get one free sale on Lionsgate blu-rays. The Vestron Video blu-ray series is included in that.

...is the Vestron Video release of Return of the Living Dead 3 the uncut version or the R-rated?

I love that movie, but the R-rated version of it is loving butchered.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

It's the uncut version.

Oh my sweet gently caress yes

I swear to god the uncut version was totally unavailable for like a solid 20+ years outside of FearNET showing it once when they existed (which is how I saw it the first time) and sketchy :filez: VHS rips (which is what I settled for after FearNET took it down)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What’s the difference between the two cuts? I saw it recently at a triple-feature and thought it was fairly mediocre, but I’m open to a rewatch.

Well, the R-rated cut has almost no gore whatsoever. RotLD3 is a zombie movie directed by Brian Yuzna. You can probably draw conclusions from there about how the movie is affected by this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I must have seen the uncut version then, because there was definitely a ton of gore.

Just off the top of my head:
- Lowrider dude having his head and spine pulled out
- Riverman getting shot to pieces in the finale
- Julie self-harming throughout the whole movie
- Scientist having his fingers bitten off in the opening scene

Three out of four of those are definitely unrated-exclusive (I remember going through :filez: versions and trashing them if they didn't have the finger bit in the opening- before I get reported for admitting that, note that even the R-rated version wasn't easy to find before the Vestron release and the unrated version straight up didn't exist outside VHS). The remaining one is still in the R, because you can't really cut it outright, but it's far less graphic.

If it wasn't your bag, it wasn't your bag. I think it's awesome, but a decent amount of that is probably nostalgia, a decent amount of that is probably a love for the Gordon/Yuzna crew, and a decent amount of that is probably the fact that I love weird-rear end movies even if they're not executed all that well and it's hard to get weirder than human-zombie romance.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the least good but it’s not horrible.

nah, Child's Play 3 is really bad. there's a reason why Bride pretty much pretends it didn't happen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rirse posted:

Thought it didn't since Chucky sewed together appearance is after his encounter with the fan at the end of 3?

they never explicitly say, iirc. both the end of 2 and the end of 3 basically completely obliterate Chucky, so it could pretty much work going from either, and it doesn't contain any other references to 3.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll never watch it again but I will defend it because it fits my narrative that the child’s play franchise is the best. 3 is mediocre but it never hits the low low lows as Friday part 8-9, ANOES 5-6, Halloween 5-the rest of the series(maybe barring H20, need a rewatch), or the most trash garbage worthless franchise, Hellrasier after Hellbound.

Give me childs play3 any day over those.

i can definitely agree with that, yeah. the fact that the worst movie in the CP series is just pretty mediocre and not, like, an abomination puts it at the top imo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

The only worthwhile Child's Play movie is the first one and even then it's just pretty okay.

2, Bride, Curse, and Cult are all better than the original

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Boinks posted:

Can't believe i upgraded my RotLD 3 DVD for 18 seconds of gore, but it was worth it. This is my first Vestron release as well.

If it helps, it's a decent amount more than 18 seconds, because a lot of the trims in the R-rated version were alternate "softer" takes instead of outright removals. The total amount of changed footage from R to unrated is more like 10 minutes, iirc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

I don’t know...Mill Creek. Do these releases look ok? They’re not actually vhs transfers like they do for those 100-movie sets, right?

Mill Creek's individual releases are usually okay. They're nothing special, and if there's an Arrow or Scream Factory available you should go for that instead, but if it's the only way to get a movie they do a serviceable enough job.

The thing that really kind of makes them iffy is that, from what I gather, they don't really do their own transfers or restorations or anything. If you're buying a Mill Creek release, you're getting whatever's already out there print-wise in 1080p, likely with very little features.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

the hideously expensive 3d conversion he made that nobody wanted

if I'm remembering correctly, this isn't quite an accurate summation of what happened. iirc Anchor Bay commissioned it for a theatrical release, and then hosed him on actually releasing it or paying him for it, because by the time it was done the 3D fad had basically died (I remember they were planning a similar thing for Battle Royale that also fell through, though in that case the conversion was never actually made). this left him way in the hole financially, hence the current Dawn rights situation.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I really wouldn't mind them pulling a Blade Runner and putting all of the major cuts (pre-97, 97, 2004, 2011) in one big box set. Half the reason to preserve the originals is historical importance, and that argument still basically applies for any of the pre-2011 versions at this point.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

The term "director's cut" has been completely ruined by it being used as a marketing gimmick to sell DVDs. Previously it was meant to identify a version of the film that better reflects the director's intention after it had been heavily interfered with by the studio or the ratings board. I don't know about Donnie Darko, but in the case of the Warriors that was not a true director's cut. Though as far as I know Donnie Darko was basically the same thing where the director went back and threw in a bunch of deleted scenes or something because the film was a big hit on video and they more or less wanted to milk the cash cow a little more. If this is the case then it's also not a true director's cut.

I, uh... I'm fairly sure both are true director's cuts, it's just that they're cases where the director had fairly bad ideas. Donnie Darko's DC is basically re-edited to make the movie more coherent, with the key problem being that it's not actually that interesting in that form; essentially, it was saved by loving it in the first place. The Warriors, meanwhile, has almost no actual different footage, but has those stupid comic book transitions added in, which I gather actually were Walter Hill's idea.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 14, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

It's just hard for me to imagine the math working for the smaller companies. Like, you either have to include a UHD disc in every case along with the regular blu ray, OR you sell two different versions of the same movie. Both options mean more cost for potentially not very much extra return. I mean, yea you can charge a bit more for UHD but I'm not sure they'd sell enough of them to justify it. Maybe in some very special cases like Robocop it makes sense but you don't get into UHD just to release a single film in the format.

I mean, I could see Arrow doing it simply because they get so many cult classics that have been consistent sellers on other formats; it would be less "UHD just for one movie" and more "UHD for like 10 or 20 movies."

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 4, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, if manufacture-on-demand UHD discs are ever a thing, that'll probably change the calculus pretty significantly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are the UK rights for DotD anywhere near as hosed as the US rights are though?

not anywhere near. Dawn's international rights, from what I'm aware, are with basically sane copyright holders that like money pretty much anywhere it's been released outside of the US.

e: also, yeah, Dawn 78 on UHD would probably loving kill.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Mean Jerk posted:

New Arrow releases for April
https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1088818206314295298?s=20

Keoma is a solid western, but isn’t Terraformars based on a racist manga?

TerraFormars is... about as racist as something can possibly be by accident, yeah.

It's about a multinational UN force going to Mars to terraform it, except this action causes mutant humanoid cockroaches to take over the planet and start very messily killing people instead. The bugs are probably supposed to look like homo erectus (if you google homo erectus, one of the first image results looks almost exactly like the Terraformers' faces), but to the vast, vast majority of Western readers they just look like black people, which is A Bad Look.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Almost Blue posted:

That's a shame. I looked into it a little and it seems that their entire company is shutting down due to low box-office returns on the films they financed.

So I guess now is probably the time to grab Green Room and Neon Demon before they vanish into rights hell and possibly never emerge?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Green Room was distributed by A24 and Neon Demon by Amazon, so those will probably stay in print.

Broad Green handled the latter on physical media, and I'm unsure about the former.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

I've never actually sat through Hannibal. Is it any good or is it just edgy try hard poo poo?

It's good edgy tryhard poo poo, if that makes sense. Like, it's absolutely the latter, but it's way more fun than usual for something like that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For the PotA series I'd file them all under "P" and go chronologically by release (since canon chronology gets wonky with the original series).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rirse posted:

I mostly bought UHD from Best Buy or from Disney Movie Club. I do find it hilarious if I decide to get Little Mermaid, Wreck the Internet, and Captain America 1 on 4K from there, it actually ten dollars cheaper ordering the combo with Little Mermaid 2 on bluray then without it.

I unironically kind of love how Disney uses the Vault as a way to sort of informally say which movies the current management cares about.

They care about it? Prepare to pay significant amounts of money and possibly have a hard time even finding the drat thing. They don't? It's probably in the five-dollar bin at Wal-Mart, or packed in with something they do care about, in a bundle that indicates that they see it as having negative value.