Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Stingwing posted:

If anybody wants them I have:

The Lego Batman Movie: G2VV7CTFK9WM

Snagged this one, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Huh, I hadn't looked in a while but region-free players have really come down a lot in price. Are those sub-$200 Sony 4k UHD models actually any good?

I hung onto a lovely early DVD player for an unreasonably long time because some of those early models were easy to make region-free with technician codes or backdoors into the manufacturer settings, even though

ChazTurbo posted:

Some of the lgs and Sony models are older ones with issues reading multi layered discs iirc

and it played merry hell with a number of equally-early double-sided and multi-layered discs.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, the handful I have aren't bad (Krull, The Legend of Billie Jean, Hardbodies, Happy Birthday to Me), but it's literally just the movie, no chapters, no bonus features, no menus.

It takes a brave man to admit to owning a physical copy of Hardbodies.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Of course, within a few years, all the major studios were doing special editions. But people probably forget how shaky a lot of early DVDs were. Paramount literally didn't do any special editions for home video until the 2001 DVD of Forrest Gump. Universal ported a ton of their special edition laserdiscs to DVD, but without remastering. Don't get me started on flippers and snappers...

My original snappers of Blade and The Matrix are honored possessions that I will be buried with.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Was the black and white version enhanced in post? I rarely find B&W versions of native color movies interesting because the contrast needed to make B&W look right is a whole other thing from color balance and simply converting the color channels to greyscale rarely cuts it alone.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 11, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I usually don't care much for crazy special packaging outside of like the odd lenticular hologram gimmick, but to my awareness there's never been a Star Trek disc release packaged in a model Enterprise where the discs are stored in the saucer and a shuttle-shaped USB key with the digital copies is located in the shuttlebay, and that's a crying shame.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

JJ Trek 1 did this if you're desperate.

I'll never be that desperate.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Those novelty packages are fun to see in a store or something, but what the gently caress is anyone going to do with any of that poo poo when you get it home? Now you just have this whole stupid thing and you have to find a place to put it. I barely have space for all the regular cases, I'm not interested in trying to find a place where I can shove a life sized terminator arm or a black plastic barrel the size of a small kitchen trashcan. I can't imagine why anyone other than that deranged manchild from the youtube video wants this poo poo.

This reminds me of a post on reddit where someone kicked his six year old daughter upstairs to the attic so he could convert her bedroom to a "display room" for his ever-growing collection of nerd tchotchkes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alec Eiffel posted:

I own a large The Sound of Music Blu-ray box set, but that's it (I realized afterward it was ridiculous and never to buy things like that again). It's still legit, but lordy.

I imagined this as the DVDs buried in an actual edelweiss planter for some reason and I can't stop laughing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Because I'm still a bluray buyer, I prepaid for a couple of movies for cheap online via Walmart and went to the store to get them. I hadn't been inside a Walmart in at least half a decade, and the online pickup is now this giant orange and black tower with touchscreens and sliding glass panels that materializes my poo poo in like 30 seconds.

Your Walmart sounds like something out of Minority Report, mine just converted the layaway cove in the back (replaced the blue and white sign with an orange and black sign).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Australia feeling left out of the boutique market, Viavision just started a new [IMPRINT] label that seems to mimic UK's Indicator:
http://www.imprintfilms.com.au

Looks like they're all Paramount licenses. Shout! Factory released The Duellists years ago, but it's OOP. I'd expect these to come to the US eventually as The Criterion Channel has been playing all but Waterloo and The Duellists lately.

First releases coming out on May 27, 2020:

The War of the Worlds (1953)
NEW 4K restoration from the original camera negative
NEW Audio commentary by film critics Barry Forshaw & Kim Newman
NEW remastered Dolby 5.1 surround remix
Audio commentary by actor Gene Barry and actress Ann Robinson
Audio commentary by “fans” Joe Dante, Bob Burns and Bill Warren
Original English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
“The Sky is Falling: Making “War of the Worlds” documentary
“H.G. Wells: The Father of Science Fiction” featurette
“The Mercury Theater on the Air Presents: The War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast” (with stills of Orson Welles)
Theatrical trailer
Limited Edition slipcase on the first 1500 copies

This all sounds great but I wish they'd knock it off with the surround sound remixes of old mono/stereo tracks. Even if they're done well and don't end up creating a terrible imbalance between the effects, score and voices, still, that's going beyond simple restoration. Hell, many productions now can't get those balances right and I'm still not sure that everything beyond quadraphonic wasn't an iPhone glass screen nerd's pipe dream that got foisted on all of us because we were told it was what the future was supposed to be like.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, The War of the Worlds was originally released with three-channel stereo sound in 1953, so the 5.1 remix is probably a re-creation of that.

At least they (probably) won't screw up the balance, then.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

I work in a library where we regularly have donations for our shelves or sales, and if there are any that we can't use I'll pick up like a half-dozen free DVDs. Maybe I'm in the minority of Physical Media People, but DVD quality doesn't even really bother me. Blu ray is better, UHD is ideal but DVD is still what I consider watchable. Modern DVDs are far and away better than what they were two decades ago.

If I buy new, I buy blu ray exclusively, otherwise if it's used I'll pick up some DVDs at a flea market or free from work donations.

Really, I'd wager the average goon has living memory of analog antenna television and VHS cassettes, I don't get this recent animosity for DVD. Unless it's become the kind of situation like the sunset of VHS where the only companies still producing them were the cheapo ones because nobody else could turn a profit, but that doesn't sound like it's the case.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brexit the Frog posted:

(throwing up a little) gently caress you

ugggggggh, this put things in perspective for me

I guess poor old DVD is getting pretty long in the tooth, ain't it?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Given the character, I can only assume this was on purpose and therefore it owns.

:agreed:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is this going on past Apri?

Also, more like 16 for $176 :negative:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Second Sight just posted that the Dawn of the Dead Blu/UHD set has been postponed due to the global pandemic.

:irony:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Anyone get any of the Star Wars

Official or good? Despecialized Editions are always on the high seas

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Filming has been postponed though, since New Zealand is currently is nation-wide lockdown for at least another couple of weeks, and Auckland will probably remain in extended region-wide self-isolation after that.

Can NZ do us a solid and extend that lockdown indefinitely

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The only audio commentary where maxed-out bass is REQUIRED

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

That entire movie looks like it's made of candy. I loving love it. I wish they'd give more stuff like that to the Wachowskis, although the performance of that movie is exactly why they aren't getting movies like that.

The final race sequence is like a kid's hyperactive sugar rush building and building to an actual out-of-body experience, I think I full on dissociated in the theater. Speed Racer rules so hard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly the way to handle the prequels is the same thing they did to Toy Story: re-render and recomposite all of the CGI, keeping original assets wherever they can but redoing anything that looks jank in high-res, to meet modern standards.

the live-action elements will look okay if they're just upscaled from original res to 4K, but the CGI is inevitably going to look like absolute poo poo, and assuming Lucasfilm/ILM still have all the original assets on servers somewhere it'd be a relatively easy workaround.

Yeah but... why bother

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

enough people like the prequels that they pretty consistently print money on home media, and given that their biggest flaw by a wide margin is how lovely they look, a lot of people would probably actually be on board for an unfucked version. :shrug:

:shuckyes:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

e: again, not advocating for this future, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM9YwN_Dvv0

I can't fairly assess this because it's also up-whatevering the footage to 60fps and I'd rather scratch my eyes out.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

The amount of nudity in each.

The real Ebert ranking order

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Could we get another Discord invite link? The previously posted ones have expired.

It should be PMed or otherwise privately messaged, Kiwifarms and probably other assholes are lurking around. (I'd like an invite as well, if you're so inclined.)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I must be so loving boring because I'd watch hours and hours of stuff like that Sleepaway Camp video. I want to see someone go through and do spot cleanup and remove hairs and fix discoloration in detail.

Then again my favorite YouTube show is a conservator painstakingly restoring oil paintings so I guess I'm boring either way.

Anyway, hopping on that thread, great idea!

Hey, I'm the guy who found out what paleontology really entails and still wanted to sign up. (It didn't work out, but for reasons unrelated to spending hours methodically uncovering a fossil with a dental pick and a silk brush while writing my graduate thesis about millimeter-level differences in frill patterns between two ambiguously-differentiated subspecies of Chasmosaurus.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm not saying that's not why.