Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I got a smattering of movies during junior high and high school. The two I distinctly remember were Stand and Deliver and Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I still own Anchor Bay's Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition and the Divimax Day of the Dead. I miss Anchor Bay. :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

I feel like I’m the only person in the world that hated that movie.

That loving kid.

No, I loving hated it too, kid and mom be damned.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

dorium posted:

still Region B though, might as well not even include the blu-ray for NA viewers :cry:

tonights viewing is now decided

Buy a region free player and join us.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

ringu0 posted:

Did anyone see Severin's Vyi? How's the release?

I have the Severin release. It's decent but if you're region free, get the Eureka release. It's encoded at a higher bitrate and there's more supplemental material.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Y’all don’t get your movies for free from the studio and get paid to watch them?

I used to get free screeners during awards season but most studios have moved onto token-generated online screenings now.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Yeah, Six String Samurai is the type of movie that's more known for its hype than its actual quality. I remember being hyped up about it for a while then when I finally saw it, I thought no way was that worth the word of mouth.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I was disappointed that Shout's SE BR of Escape from L.A. didn't have a Carpenter/Russell commentary. :(

Yeah, the commentary on "The Thing" is great.

"There's Wilford Brimley..."

"Yeah, he's a long way from those oatmeal commercials... :lol:"

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Well now I know I have to listen to it. Is it on the Shout! Blu? I have the older one too.

It's on the Shout Blu so enjoy.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I can recommend Night Owl, Putney Swope, and Patty Hearst from your list. Night Owl is a great indie film that started the artsy New York urban vampire film that you got with The Addiction and Nadja.

Patty Hearst is in some ways a stylistic sequel to Mishima at least in the first half, but it’s an interesting film about Patty Hearst’s story told from her perspective.

Some of the other films on your list like Decoder I can recommend but with the caveat that know you’re getting into an art film about industrial music. However, a film that’s not on your list that I want to recommend is “In the Cold of the Night”, which is a bonkers and dumb erotic thriller that I love because it’s so stupid.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Spookies is enjoyable for the creature effects but, as has been echoed by everyone else here, it’s 2 movies cobbled into one with no rhyme or reason. However, the doc “The Unmaking of Spookies” on the disc is great.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea definitely, 4k or not I've been wanting Tombs of the Blind Dead in my collection for a while. I wish it was a complete set though, I want the whole series.

Yeah, I would've liked it to be the complete film collection too. I still regret not buying the Blue Underground Blind Dead collection coffin box when I had the chance.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Code Red and Scorpion Releasing must be feeling very unloved right now.

At least in Code Red's case, maybe they're just considering them as part of Kino Lorber now.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I didn't know they were connected.

Kino recently took over distribution for them.

Lol, not answering the most important question which is how much are the horror/exploitation and completionist packages.

EDIT:

Oh snap, just saw that Feb titles aren't gonna be discounted. Well poo poo.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 21, 2021

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I don't mind the old HK subtitles since that's what I grew up with, plus I understand most of the Cantonese.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

In light of the new color-grading of Star Wars episode IX, I wonder if they’ll do a disc swap program for the people who bought physical copies.

Huh, I wonder if Dan Mindel was involved with the new color grade or if it was Disney unilaterally deciding to recolor it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I love OGF but my friend hates that movie because 1. she's Thai and hates how her culture is portrayed, and 2. she worked on it. In fact, if you watch the doc about the making of it, she's in parts of it. She, for the most part, does not have nice things to say about Refn.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 26, 2021

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I had my cart set up before the VS site went down so hopefully it won't reset like last time. In the event that it does, I have a tab folder with each title that was in my cart ready to go.

Since we were on the subject of VS titles, I would also recommend The Candy Snatchers, In the Cold of the Night, Blood Games, Star Time, and Snapshot.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Oh, random question: for me, watching movies (in the theatre or at home) is not complete unless I’m eating popcorn. who here likes microwave popcorn, and what’s your favorite brand/variety?
I’ve been trying little boxes of a bunch of different ones just to change things up, but I just bought a big box of Act II Movie Theater Butter. I’m a sucker for the gimmick tubs of popcorn that you put the whole thing in the microwave and it pops up in the tub, and I tried an Orville Reddenbacher one the other day that was really, really good and genuinely tasted like Harkins theatre popcorn... except for the bottom third of the tub which got no butter whatsoever and tasted like plain unflavored popcorn.

Flavacol is your friend.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's the salt theaters use for popcorn. It's really good but very fine. Don't put too much. You can get a carton on Amazon for $10.

Yup, the only issue is that it’s really designed to be put on pre-popped popcorn.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Homeybeef posted:

Has anyone gotten their VS halfway to black Friday orders yet? I've never ordered from them directly before so I'm not too sure what their shipping is usually like but I'm seeing people on facebook and twitter getting theirs.

I haven't but that's because I wasn't a subscriber (at the time) and didn't preorder Six String Samurai or any other VS release, so I'm last in the queue.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

It would be nice if SOME big budget guys would shoot on film with the future in mind. I understand the benefits digital brought to cinema in terms of accessibility. It’s way cheaper overall, and nowadays can look amazing. But drat, film just has that much more information available. Also, really sick of the digital look.

Eh, shooting on film isn't as mindblowingly ahead as digital. 35mm really only has roughly the equivalent of 4K-5K worth of information and 65mm is more like 11K, and scanning in higher resolutions just means you're just going to get more grain from the emulsion and digital noise from the sensor. You can get the film look with digital, it's just a matter of having the infrastructure and talented post-production people to do it.

dorium posted:

I’d imagine so but it would just be a fresh coat of paint versus like a whole upgrade. I don’t know how well upscaling 1080 to 4K would look. Rudimentarily if I did something like that on my own I couldn’t imagine it looking more than overly stretched and smeary. There’s just not enough information there to give it that proper boost that even 2K to 4K gets.

david_a posted:

2K is 1080 though? Cinema refers to things by the horizontal resolution while monitors are mostly by the vertical (other than 4K aka 2160).

Upscaling 1080/2K (they're not exactly the same; 1080 is 1920x1080, DCI 2K is 2048x1080) up to 4K is fairly common (especially with regards to VFX). Most films shot with the original Alexa have been upscaled to 4K and they look fine. I and a few other friends/colleagues have done tests taking 1080 footage and upscaling it to 4K and technology is good enough to make it look decent. The main thing people should care about is HDR and the wider color gamut, that's something you can't recreate in SDR/Rec709.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 15, 2021

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

dorium posted:

Then we’ll just have to wait and see I guess. Zodiac is by far my most favorite Fincher work and would love to have a UHD of it but if it’s not technically feasible or it’s upscale doesn’t hit those marks you want for a movie like it then I can be happy with a blu-Ray. I’ll check it out regardless.

An HDR pass of Zodiac would look great. Wider dynamic range and greater tonal gradation with the wider color gamut since the raw sensor data is sampled at full 444 RGB. In fact, I would say that they could do a better job today than 2007 since the infrastructure and post process are in place rather than Fincher and co having to figure it out from the ground up.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 15, 2021

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Yeah, Arrow at least has The 36th Chamber of Shaolin so I'm super excited about it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

My VinSyn order has shipped :hellyeah:

Same, mine shipped yesterday and is supposed to get here on Sunday, it says.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Just a heads up that Kino Lorber’s summer sale is supposed to start next week, per their rep.

motherfu-

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Colored lighting has been making a huge comeback the past couple of years due to RGB LED light fixtures like the Arri Skypanel, Quasar Science Rainbows, and Astera Titans.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

ultraviolence123 posted:

So there's pretty much a zero chance that Severin's website will work tonight when they release their mid-year exclusive titles, right? I want the post apocalyptic bundle that comes with a book about the subgenre, the Blood for Dracula UHD and Retribution. Plus the mystery title that's only available on Saturday (Great White I assume). Is it even worth staying up to try and buy them?

The Severin site worked okay last sale but that was partly because they killed a lot of good will among boutique label fans so they didn't sell as much stuff.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
well gently caress they're getting DDoS'd again :bravo:

anyway got my first order through after 30 min

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I spent way too much money on Severin and I bought a bunch of the VS Partner Label titles recently so I'm tapped out for a while.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I just grabbed In The Heat of the Night from the VinSyn sale for like $12. Blind buy for me.

You mean In the Cold of the Night, right? Still fantastic movie though :v:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I love Hellraiser 1 and 2, and I love the score that Christopher Young ended up doing for the first film, but a huge part of me really wants the original score with Coil that Clive Barker intended.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
A cold day in Hell but it would be amazing if Criterion's first UHD was The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford since they've had over ten years to realize the huge mistake they made turning it down in the first place. Even colder day in Hell if it includes the original four hour cut.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah my copy is way, way darker than that.

I suspect the your TV isn't calibrated. Runaway Train's cinematography definitely takes from the 70s era of cinematography, which is all dark, low light, naturalistic cinematography and that style in particular lends in itself to having to watch it on a calibrated screen. Too bright and everything looks washed out with milky blacks, too dark and everything looks crushed with no shadow detail.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not sure it’s my TV, all the other movies I’ve watched on it have looked great. Or are you saying I need to calibrate it a certain way specifically for this movie? Because that’s dumb.

Everything is graded on calibrated monitors so it'll look the same across anything that's properly calibrated. Depending on the movie, it can still look good if it's not calibrated (particularly movies that are brighter and use more of the headroom in the dynamic range) but if it's something that's designed to be presented a certain way (like "The Godfather"), it will absolutely not look right unless you're viewing it on a calibrated monitor.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Color calibration is as follows:

Prep: make sure your TV has a blue only mode, set all settings to 0 or middle position (leave sharpening off)

1. Set your TV's warmth setting to warm 2

2. The PLUGE is the mass of black in the lower right. If you turn up the brightness setting, you should see 3 bars, the left one is 0 IRE (super black), the middle is 7.5 IRE (standard black), and 11 IRE (just above standard black). Adjust brightness setting until left and middle bars are solid black and you can just barely see the right bar

3. In the lower left corner, there's a block of white. This block should measure 15 footlamberts from viewing distance (this one's a little harder to do if you don't have a light meter that measures reflectance). If you don't have a light meter, just set it to around the halfway point between the middle and all the way to the far right (like a 7/10 or 75/100). You'll have to go back and readjust the brightness setting to make sure the 11 IRE bar is just barely visible.

4. Turn on blue only mode. The columns of grey, yellow, cyan, green, magenta, red, and blue along with the rectangles below them should be shades of blue now. Adjust tint and saturation so that each bar and its corresponding rectangle is a single solid blue color. You'll have to go back and forth between tint and saturation until you get the balance right.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Has anyone gotten their Severin sale order in yet?

Lol no. Blood for Dracula is still holding that up but apparently they got them in the warehouse.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I've only been in a Fry's twice: once in 2000 when I needed to buy a motherboard for a PC I was building, and the other in 2019 when I was trying to find soldering equipment. The first time was way more memorable, just lots of stuff on the shelves as far as I could see in the store. The second time was just sad, just a giant warehouse that was completely empty with a few people walking the floor.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

Halloween 4 is terrific

It honestly has one of the best endings I've seen in a horror film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

That's why you buy 22 blu rays so it's only $0.50 each for shipping.

I thought Arrow didn’t do flat shipping rates.