Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I don't think it'll happen because unlike the PT, the movies so far have had some great characters and they're at least well-acted. Just lol when you compare Kylo Ren or Rey to Anakin from the PT. He was supposed to be the backbone of the prequels. Half the time he opened his mouth you just want to say "just shut up" out loud.

For no apparent reason I decided to rewatch the prequels for the first time in at least 10+ years, and most of the performances from the primary cast is borderline painful. When they were still 'new,' I didn't really pay as close attention. But I heard Ian McDiarmid speak at a con last year and what he described makes so much more sense now. He talked about how they acted in front of a green screen the entire time and it was really difficult to emote and react appropriately. He said the stuff that always stood out the most was whenever anyone is under attack by droids, Lucas would never tell them whether there was 1 or 1000 of them coming at them, so the danger they were in had no weight. He was really coy about speaking candidly on Hayden Christensen.

Anyway, you're right, the acting in the current movies compared to the PT is night and day. Incomparable for the most part aside from maybe Ewan McGregor and McDiarmid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Just got back from Solo. The movie was packed with a lot of cool poo poo, but unfortunately within a very bland and dull plot. Once the movie was ending, it hit me that I didn't really give a drat about why anything was happening. Nothing had any real weight because most of the twists were so obvious "if you're paying attention." Or maybe that was some meta joke about the movie being predictable?

Either way, I didn't mind the Maul reveal. It was the only real surprise to be had.

I also loved Donglover as Lando. He really nailed it. And probably most of the rest of the galaxy.

I also like that the canonically, the Falcon actually has a conscience.

If they definitely create a sequel, I found myself much more interested in what that movie could be. Seeing this big job Jabba the Hutt is recruiting for sounds intriguing.

In the end, this is one I wouldn't be adverse to seeing it again if someone asked me to go. But I'm totally content with waiting till the Blu-ray.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just release the droids name was a leet joke.:rolleyes:

I literally just noticed the same thing and was coming here to post it. That couldn't have been coincidental by story group?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Ema Nymton posted:

No dialogue. No motivation. No screen time. Maul has always seemed to me like just another example of why the prequels were trash. And now, there's all these young folks saying that he's awesome. I guess I'm just too old.

I actually rewatched the prequels over the weekend because I had nothing else to do. It blows my mind that anyone can romanticize those movies. They're really not very good. They're not worse than I remember them, just dumber than I remember. Seeing online reactions to TLJ really makes me appreciate the fact that Twitter didn't exist until after the last prequel film was released. Granted, message board users (hey goons!) bitched about them more than enough, but there wasn't a giant bullhorn into infinity to spread that negativity to.

In my opinion, the only one-up the PT really has on something like Last Jedi is that the plots beef up the lore of Star Wars a lot more than anything Disney has done with their two cracks at the primary saga. Maybe that's in the eye of the beholder. But my only real complaint with the two new trilogy movies is that I don't think any of it really matters. It's all in the shadow of a nasty Empire that already had its rear end kicked in pretty epic fashion. My personal preference would have been to repeat the beats of the PT and actually show forces coming together to create a new threat to the galaxy instead of just handing us 'Diet Empire' and this half-assed version of the Rebellion. Same cool looking poo poo, a lot less calories.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Henker posted:

From what I remember of the EU, Bossk is a huge rear end in a top hat who has a rivalry with everyone. His entire space lizard species is a bunch of dicks.

I never could explain why, but the fact that Bossk's entire race are a bunch of hillbilly space lizards was one of my favorite stories in Clone Wars.

And I totally forgot that Chewbacca appears in that story, so he's been in and out of captivity a lot.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

BigglesSWE posted:

Seen Solo twice now. I actually think it’s pretty good, warts and all. There are some very awkward editing at times but I’ve seen much worse.

I feel bad that this is bombing. All things considered, I think it’s interesting enough to warrant sequels.

I haven't seen it twice yet, but at the same time, I found myself really interested in exploring the pre-Galactic Civil War underworld. I hope Disney and Lucasfilm just say gently caress it and greenlight a follow up, but it's a business so it's a shame that will likely never happen. Maybe the Blu-Ray and digital release can create some sort of cult following for the movie to push it along.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm rewatching TFA, and how does the Starkiller Base laser work? From one origin it fires once, and an energy beam can split into 5 perfectly aimed splinter beams?

I also haven't watched this in a longtime, its jarring just how different this movie is from TLJ in tone and pacing.

Aside from that, I found Abrams mystery boxes (or whatever they're called) aggravating to a degree when the movie was new. It's even more grating now feeling like we know there is no payoff to hardly any of it.

E: I likewise find it interesting that with the litany of "X killed Star Wars" videos on YouTube, particularly the ones bitching about humor, must have just totally ignored TFA. I forgot how joke-y it was. Poe even talks poo poo to Kylo at the very beginning similarly to making fun of Hux in TLJ. So that was actually consistent with the Poe character.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 18, 2018

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Ep IX is going to be marketed to death as THE CONCLUSION or something like that. Even though we all know this franchise is going to get run into the ground. But I imagine the END OF THE SKYWALKERS or however they couch it is going to get people out to see it. Underperform? Maybe. Outright flop? Not sure if possible. Even the really toxic fans will probably buy a ticket just so they can go online afterward and bitch.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today's gossip is that Iger is keen to remove Kathleen Kennedy and even offered Abrams (among others) the job, but nobody wants to take over Lucasfilm because it's too badly split between older employees on one hand and newer ones who are loyal to Kennedy on the other, and nobody's interested in assuming command of a divided camp. In the meantime, Kennedy has reportedly relinquished virtually all creative control over Episode IX to Abrams and is otherwise taking a step back.

I had a chance to talk with a journalist at a Hollywood trade and there is some validity to this. Not sure which parts are absolutely true, but it is certain that Iger is definitely en route to making some significant changes.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm surprised he has the time these days, given that the Fox deal looks like it's going to go through now.

Is it all down to Solo's production troubles and the resulting box office failure or are there issues that run deeper and Solo was just the catalyst for/excuse to start moving in this direction?

Iger also apparently has "the thinnest skin," and gets upset over any negative press, though I digress, but the big takeaway I had from this was the the management of the brand isn't trending the way Disney hoped, in addition to the non-stop production problems causing projects to go dramatically over-budget. Solo's gross isn't ideal, but it also shouldn't have cost nearly $300 million to produce and market. So what should have been a modest success is barely going to break even on the biggest brand in sci-fi.

As for the brand, I may have been reading too much into it, but Disney knows SW can't extend its life without younger fans. And right now, younger fans really aren't coming into the fold like they want. With two Star Wars Lands coming online in the next couple of years, that ship, of ALL the Disney IP, has to be running the best.

Bear in mind, this is one journalist's perspective. Albeit one who has been doing this for a very long time and sourced deeply.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Wheat Loaf posted:

Interesting if true. Is any of this online in any more detail or is it entirely insider stuff?

I wonder what they will try to course-correct? You mentioned young fans not biting as hard as they might like (I'm curious whether that was a problem for the prequels as well - I was one of those young fans in 1999-2005 so I have no idea) - my impression is that a lot of the things you see people complain about on the Internet aren't really the sort of things that must be urgently corrected to get the kids to turn out, so I'm not sure what the solution there is.

Of course, I have no idea what kids actually like these days. I guess they like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson so I suppose the obvious answer is

To be honest, I have no idea if this is online anywhere. Outside of this chance encounter at a work function, I pretty much rely on official Star Wars announcements, trades (THR and Variety) and whatever gets linked to at this message board for the majority of my SW news. I don't often go digging around too much anymore. Especially in the post-TLJ landscape because basic stuff like, "Lucasfilm announces female casting" turns into eleventy-thousand tweets and YouTube videos of "FEMALE CASTING HERALDS DEATH OF SW" and I just can't anymore.

And I'm with you, I don't know what kids like or what metrics Disney is using to even come to that conclusion. I'd be really interested to see insights on that aspect of their marketing and research.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
When the prequels were in theaters, past TPM's first couple of weeks of theatrical run, they definitely never felt like a huge deal. I only remember them getting parodied to death for very well deserved reasons. Which is crazy because I remember it that way, but I looked it up and TPM and ROTS were the highest grossing movies of their respective years, and AotC was a strong No. 3 for 2002. And that merch just sat on the shelves forever. Then again that could be a byproduct of where I lived at the time in south Alabama. It's also really jarring to see how different the movie landscape was just 13 years ago with so many fewer comic or sci-fi movies.

But I also never once got bullied for liking Star Wars and I lived in an area where I practically expected to. I was also always a little proud that I was the kid that encouraged other people to embrace nerdy stuff without having to be a caricature. So nobody ever gave me poo poo for having piles of X-Men comics and building Ertl replicas of X-Wings and whatnot.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose some of the things people say about Kennedy now about how she "doesn't respect the fans" aren't too different from what they said about Lucas back in 1997 when he said

:v:

I actually found this Guardian article from 2002 which was interesting to read:

(It goes on to relate quotes from his interview, where he explains his approach to making the movies, how he was going for a 1930s style and trying to get "pre-method" performances from the cast, which I think is interesting.)

haha, that's a great find! Nobody dishonors the spirit of Star Wars quite like George Lucas :confuoot:

And that is really, really interesting about the 1930s thing. It makes perfect sense given the look and feel of AotC in particular.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
The only theory I really, really wanted to believe was if somehow Rey were a descendant of Palpatine. Which would have actually fit in with the way things were set up in the Aftermath books with the vaults and Operation... Cinder? Was that it? The Emperors contingency plan. Either way, I thought that would be cool :shrug:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

exquisite tea posted:

It sounds like the entire EU was written by that kid on the playground who, when you were playing superheroes, said his special power was that he had all the other powers of the other heroes combined and was 100x as strong and as cool that everybody else thought was really lame.

And that kid adds, "and I have a wife, whose super hot, and also is way stronger than everyone else but just not as strong as me."

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Given Williams' reported health, I'd wager he is just a cameo. Someone they get some advice from and probably hooks them up with resources or information.

Or they'll do the actual awesome thing which is have him pull a crazy swindle, fly the Falcon and blow poo poo up. Because gently caress it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

thrawn527 posted:

Does any of the new EU still call coffee "caf"?

I've always hated that one. Like, you use the words "ship" and "building". You can have the word "coffee", too.

Yes they definitely still use 'caf.' Its been used in a couple of books I remember. Aftermath, for sure.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Halloween Jack posted:

The entire industry of YouTube people making reviews that are longer than the thing they're reviewing should be eliminated by a Stalinist purge.

I've clicked a few of them without looking at the run time first, and it's infuriating how overdone those are. I wish that would happen.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

:laffo:

It's only April and there are usually a bunch of bad rumors floating around, but that's a franchise killer of a storyline if any of it is true.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

M_Sinistrari posted:

From what I've been reading around, it's unusually ambitious for a theme park section. Disney's going full on immersion with it so the park staff's essentially LARPing with either being Resistance or pro-First Order opinions, no standard signage so people will have to ask the staff where things are and all, prices are listed in credits. I can see it being fun for a really intense Star Wars fan, but not so much for others. I really can't see how it'd function on a heavy crowds day to standards.

And to add to that, when the Orlando version opens up it's going to include that full immersion hotel. So you can pay somewhere in the ballpark of ~$1000/night to LARP Star Wars. Here's a good breakdown of the latest on it: https://thepointsguy.com/news/star-wars-hotel-disney-galaxys-edge/

I love Star Wars but this doesn't sound like an experience I would care for very much.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

George H.W. oval office posted:

“No Rey you are MY great-grandmother!”

You see Sheev couldnt get to the world between worlds himself so he tricked a jedi to ferry his great grandmother through time to force impregnate her and re birth himself over time which is why

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

BigglesSWE posted:

I kept waiting for a disaster that never came. At worst, it’s stupid and blandly directed. But it’s entertaining enough and TFA was much worse in regards to fan service, IMO.

I'm... I'm okay with this.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Saw it. Soooo much to unpack, but some initial thoughts...

- loving hell the frenetic batshit pacing for the first half of the movie. Soooooo much stuff that could have been separate movies
- the whole movie felt like it was pulled from a random set of old Dark Horse comics
- Darth Voldemort was something.
- speaking of Sheev, when they reveal hes back, nobody acted remotely surprised. At least some disbelief would have been nice to see, but everyone seemed to be like, "oh yeah, of course the space wizard killed at Endor is back with thousands of manned star destroyers with planet killer guns
- why does a "Supreme Leader" need to go down and fight alongside his troops so often?
- mcguffins! So many of them. The movie was 2/3rds a fetch quest series
- the sequel trilogy did for Leia what the OT did for Luke, just not as impactful
- I know the Force isnt real, but the "force dyad" poo poo and Reylo being able to transfer tangible items through time and space was weird
- it will take Youtubers 3 years to name every godamn ship that showed up at the end

If you read my spoiler'd text, you may be surprised to learn that I mostly enjoyed the movie. I'd rank it a little higher than the prequels, but the least of episodes 4 - 9.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
My initial post after I saw the movie, I said I actually enjoyed the viewing. Which I did. But now that it's been nearly 48 hours and discussing the movie a lot, the more I'm realizing just how many elements I either didnt like when i actually thought about them, or ideas that were introduced that ended up disappointing.

Furthermore, I finally managed to point to exactly why I was so underwhelmed: TRoS is a movie that was soullessly churned out of an algorithm and tried way too hard to never challenge the audience. Just a cynical run through the motions they'll spin off into several Disney+ series and extended canon over the next decade to justify.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Looking at summaries of the Mandalorian episodes, it seems like the main character is mostly babysitting baby Yoda around the Galaxy saving it from one bad scenario after another every episode. This is kind of funny given it's supposed to be "gritty".

It seems to me like the Baby Yoda is a cynical gimmick for kids, and then in true Jar Jar Binks fashion they make the gimmick a centerpiece.

Have people here seen the show? Do they like it?

That show is awesome as hell. I say that with zero irony, because it's really godamn good.

Also, on all the wayfinder stuff on this page, that knife was one stupendously stupid plot device. It's such a contrivance that I very nearly audibly groaned in the theater, but didn't want to mess up anyone's viewing experience. Even in the moment I couldn't really justify the notion of its existence in my mind. So someone who spoke/understood "sith," showed up, with very specific knowledge of this hidden object in the Emperor's throne room, made that knife with teeth similar to a key, and with no worries about all that wreckage settling in the ocean floor, rusting away, etc... Not sure if that whole element was more lazy, or dumb. Unless that OG dude, or whatever his name was, made it? But even still, metal in all its forms tends to rust and decay over time.

Also, I've read a lot of the new extended canon, but but has it been established anywhere that the Sith had a specific language, alphabet and so forth?

I thought it was weird the Senate would have specifically outlawed translation of that language, but then I remembered that Sheev's whole ruse in the PT didn't work if anyone thought the Sith "were back" or an actual threat. So keeping anyone from learning about them or their ways made sense.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 22, 2019

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Brother Entropy posted:

if you go way way back to TOR-era stuff it's established that the 'sith' were originally just like, a species of alien from a specific planet who were good at force stuff. so that's probably what is meant when it's talked about the sith having their own language

Ah, I very vaguely remember something about that. I guess that's another clue that eventually Disney/Lucasfilm is going to really dive in on TOR at some point. But the Sith species, so to speak, TROS would have been the first "canon" mention, I think, right?

The comics are the only thing I haven't read a lot of, so this could have been fleshed out there possibly.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

The Little Death posted:

I wouldn't say I liked Rogue One, but in retrospect it at least felt like the writers were trying to come up with a story about how the rebellion would work, and how the universe would work? Like the scenes they had where the rebel alliance is acting like an alliance of rebel factions, debating whether to cut and run now that the doomsday weapon is coming. I liked that stuff, it was more thought out than anything in the ST.

I feel the same way. Never really understood the Rogue One hate, because I liked all the contextual things it added to the overall story of ANH, and the Rebellion.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
After re-reading the alleged leak on Reddit, there is nothing about any of those omissions that would have made the plot much better. I mean, it's mostly the same movie, just a lot more of it. Oh, and they didn't let Finn and Poe be gay, and Rose had some recess in between her homework assignment.

And assuming 100% of it is true, would any of that added anything to the movie? Not really. Some of the stuff that would have explained some things within the plot (Leia saving Ben, Finn just saying what he needed to tell Rey) that would have been nice, but wouldn't have really fixed the much bigger problems with the pacing or the endless hunt of mcguffins.

I preordered the novelization today because I *hope* it makes some of the movie make sense.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

holy gently caress that would own unironically

i really wish they'd have done Shadows of the Empire instead of Solo

you could have set it between Empire and ROTJ or make a few changes to put it after ROTJ...

Having two or three movies set within the OT would not have sucked, honestly. I really liked Rogue One. Jumping ahead to another tweener movie like Shadows, or something to show what went wrong between ANH and ESB would have been pretty cool. I don't mind stories taking place in and around the known Empire vs. Rebels saga as long as it's interesting.

Ben Mendolsohn offered the idea of a series set within the Empire, and the struggle between the more bureaucratic and political true believers (ie - Krennic) vs. the 'old money' Old Republic holdovers who held virtually all the power. Not sure how viable it would be to attract a broad audience, but I'd watch the hell out of it. Problem is that I don't think a lot of other people would.

Although I do have high hopes for the Cassian Andor series, assuming Disney doesn't bail on it abruptly.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
After posting about hypothetical movies earlier, I decided to rewatch RoS on Disney+. This movie is a more hyperactive mess than I remember from December.

It's completely indefensible, aside from a few cool moments. For the life of me, for as good as Star Wars TV has been since Disney, I can't fathom how iffy the movie side is.

On the plus side, Rogue One is awesome. Force Awakens is at least fun, if flawed. TLJ attempts to do very interesting things, but doesn't stick the landing. Then you reach the other end of the spectrum with TRoS, which is plotted out and paced like an action platformer video game. Seriously, they start a level and make some headway. Moment of words, then bad guys! Minor boss fight, then they're awarded with the path to the next level and the object they sought. Repeat a bunch of times until the final boss and cutscene.

Oh, and Solo happened. I always have to remind myself that movie even exists because it's so unremarkable. Young Lando is the only truly redeeming factor.

And my last note on TRoS - The "bloodline" poo poo aggravates me as much, if not more, than midichlorians when it comes to the Force. It seems to contradict so much, and fails to make sense. If heritage matters so much, then how did Ezra and Kanan become so strong? Or the dude in the Fallen Order (forgot his name)? I don't remember how closely the Emperor's plot mirrored Shattered Empire from the old comics, but it definitely paralleled Voldemort and horcruxes very closely. Or maybe this movie randomly decided to go with wizarding bloodlines as an interpretation. Rey is a LeStrange turned good, and Kylo is a Dumbledore gone bad, then good again.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

No Mods No Masters posted:

The sequel era well is poisoned, it'll be revisited in a generation unless the TV projects can manage to rehabilitate it earlier.

That said, I would give pretty good odds to JJ returning to "salvage" the old republic trilogy when that turns into a dumpster fire. Adam driver could be around though I doubt he wants to be disney plus'ed. Those are the only two principals who didn't burn their bridges on the way out

Abrams signed an exclusive deal with WarnerMedia eight months ago, so he won't be back on Disney properties for quite a while. He'll be developing stuff for HBO Max for the foreseeable future. Maybe he can take over Fantastic Beasts, because I sincerely doubt he could wreck that franchise any more than the second movie did.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

OctoberCountry posted:

I've said it before but it's hard not to read Rise of Skywalker as Abrams' nepotism apologia

I can definitely see that.

The only possible counterpoint I could make to it is that Rian Johnson messed up whatever plan Disney had for Sheev to come back, based on a bunch of stuff from books and comics. It was pretty clear back in 2015 from the Aftermath Trilogy that there was some deep seeded contingencies to resurrect Palpatine in some way. Then they more or less confirmed that Palpatine made Anakin happen by manipulating midichlorians. So at the risk of making TRoS make somewhat more sense, Abrams may have had a studio mandate to make Palps come back and complete the absurd long game of selective breeding they had been setting up for 3-4 years.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Good news actually: he's working with Jordan Peele...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEASasO-tI

Well I'll be drat. That looks pretty interesting!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

General Dog posted:

Everything I’ve read makes it sound like the literal, bodily return of Palpatine in ROS was a very late development.

That production was so troubled that it may have been in the way it ended up happening. I tuned out of a lot of the press around that movie about 8 months prior to release, but I think there had always been some semi-baked concept to have the Emperor return somehow, some way. The seeds were planted for it all over the place in other media. But it feels like another case of they royally hosed up the execution.

Blood Boils posted:

I've said it before but it's strange how fans excuse Johnson's TLJ as being driven by Disney marketing/executive committees but don't extend this sympathy to Abrams . .

Like it seems obvious that none of these films were trusted entirely to the filmmakers and their cast+crews, doesn't it?

Rogue One and Solo famously had more reshoots than original principal photography. It's incredible how much studio meddling went on. And I think there are a shitload of various cuts of TRoS.

OctoberCountry posted:

Maybe, but I can't imagine Johnson upset much internally given that he was the only director post-Episode VII that wasn't replaced mid-production and even got a tentative deal to produce his own trilogy before the movie came out.

Great point. And he's still playing very nice and keeping a low profile as far as I've seen.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I always assumed that "always two there are" was just a figure of speech. Basically, there is never just one. You see one, there's more in the walls, hiding... somewhere. I never thought the Jedi really knew much about the Sith, and seemed pretty confused when rumors began that they came back suddenly. Presumably, Yoda was also the only Jedi living when Sith were a problem before so he'd be the only one with half a clue as to how it works.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Skrill.exe posted:

This makes far more sense but the line in the movie is, "Always two there are. No more, no less."

poo poo, I forgot he added that little qualifier. But *~from a certain point of view*~ you see

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Alchenar posted:

RotS's is just an incoherent mess where the only thing that matters is Lando bringing the whole galaxy together to overwhelm the FO, which isn't thematically any good because there's no arc in the film where the galaxy feels like it's ready to come help the resistance and there's nothing else going on in the space battle.

That whole thing bothered me. To your point, at no point was it ever established anyone was actually ready or willing to go do poo poo about the First Order. Then suddenly, *everyone* shows up, including characters not seen on screen in 36 years, and ones we just met (and had even less interest in helping). Hyperspace travel does take some time, and somehow Lando, alone, marshaled hundreds, maybe even thousands of folks with ships to get in the game? Within, at most, a few hours? And made sure they all followed the same dangerous Ninja Warrior bullshit space lane to get there?

And on top of that, it wasn't even a good space battle by any stretch. The bit with the folks using space horses to ride around on a star destroyer... godamn that whole segment was trash.

This is making me re-hate the drat movie all over again.

Edit: Actually, I didn't hate Ben Swole-o coming to the rescue and beating the Knghts' asses. That was cool. Rest? Hated it.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 25, 2021

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Cessna posted:

Worse than Kit Fisto?

that's objectively the best name in any star war

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

thrawn527 posted:

The whole thing is basically a fake cruise. There’s a muster drill on the first day, you can pay extra to eat at the “Captain’s Table”, there are cruise like activities and parties, etc. It’s weird. But once they decided to do that, it basically had to be modeled after a starship.

Wait, late to the party on this one, but they are doing a fake cruise and keeping the most annoying part of every cruise?

I already decided I'd never stay at the place, but that's just icing on the cake. It's less expensive to spend an entire week on an actual Disney cruise ship.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What if Star Wars was anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lle0NNmvIyU

Looks insanely good

I was just thinking how Star Wars could have used chocobos as mounts, and Disney is delivering!

Seriously though, I am going to watch the hell out of this. Looks fun as hell.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Mameluke posted:

Attack of the Clones is the most enjoyable Star War, objective quality be damned. I love the following things it delivers;

- the Coruscant chase sequence
- the first trans character Zam Wesell
- Elan Sleazebaggano
- Kamino's design
- Obi-wan's swashbuckling detective adventure
- Dexter Jettster
- Padme has the most agency in this one and falls for fascist Ani because she's a liberal who gets scratched in this film
- Obi-wan getting his poo poo kicked in by Jango
- Jango's depth charge noise
- "Machines making machines, how perverse!"
- Padme's Geonosis outfit
- Sir Christopher Lee

also the most quotable Star War.

I went on one of the Star Wars Disney Cruises last year (before cruises totally shut down) and during the Star Wars trivia I made it to the top-3 in the contest, and some uber-dorks got real pissed when I said my favorite character was Dexter Jettster. I came in 2nd place. :(