Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

cage-free egghead posted:

MKBHD at least edits his videos in good ways that isn't just a man at a table talking about A Thing.

Yes, because the purpose of his channel is not to provide useful information - it is to entertain. If you want to be advertised to while being entertained, watch MKBHD. If you want useful information, watch Steve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I used to watch his videos every once in a while but haven't seen a single one this year either. I used to like the production values and the basic "here's what it's like to actually use" approach but recent it's been too just too whorish.

On the other hand, Tech Jesus is having none of it with the 3090 shenanigans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgs-VbqsuKo

This video was boring and the editing was boring. I want to see the mans make big faces at a TV and tell me how cool [PRODUCT] is. That's at least a fun video. /s

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it really that different than a Bag of Crap from Woot, back when Woot was actually like...fun?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Former Human posted:

So basically there's no such thing as a great chair, even if you spend $1200.

The Aerons are pretty great chairs, but it's not immediately obvious. I think people expect to sit in one and somehow their life is transformed, but it's honestly not that amazing when you just sit on it. The real selling point of the aeron is that you can sit it in all day comfortably in pretty much any reasonable position and it's really durable. Those are hard boxes to check and gaming chairs definitely fail.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there is a single modern platform that I'd label 'Good' that runs on multiple 12v rails.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Marques Brownlee makes some of the most beautiful content in the tech-sphere of youtube, but for the aforementioned reasons, I cannot take his opinions seriously - it's pretty overt shilling. Linus's 'previews' are at least quarantined off, but it does damage his brand when I have to constantly be double-checking whether or not this is a 'preview' or a 'review'. Unbox Therapy is terrible. Steve is bae.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Basically every time women find something that’s popular all the guys on Twitch scream about it being unfair and it gets shuffled away. They did the same thing with vtubers and it’s where the Twitch dress code came from as well.

I'm not going to defend this general trend, but I strongly suspect this particular case has a lot less to do with, 'gently caress women', but probably much more likely, 'we probably shouldn't be selling overtly sexualized content to our largely teenage demographic...for advertisers...'

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Men are angry that the site has moved from gaming to "Just Chatting", and now it is full of women in "their domain".

This is just not true. I have no horse in this race and I also don't really like Twitch, but that is just a dumb thing to say and does nothing to help fix the actual underlying issues at play here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't work for Twitch or Amazon, but I've been close enough to issues like this that I feel that I can ID the root cause with a very high degree of confidence: Advertisers.

Additional disclosure: I don't like Twitch, but I do keep up with the subculture - partially because I work in the industry and it's more or less unavoidable, but partially because I feel a need to understand what the hell is happening in that sphere. I've been watching it since Justin, and while I prefer to watch the more 'boomer' streamers like Kripp, I'll watch the popular streamers of whatever game I happen to be working on at the time.

Anyway, Advertisers...

The 'booba' stream is not new. It might have been more subtle in the earlier days, but it was a massive part of the popular games of the day. The top League streamer for years in the early 2010s was a female streamer who really leaned into that subgenre, but other games had similar women doing roughly the same thing with a ton of success stories. At the time, no one cared - Advertisers didn't care because they didn't have a clue what the gently caress was going on and Streaming was still young. Twitch *certainly* didn't care because advertiser money flowed heavy and fast.

Even at the time, the conversation among some of the B and C-list Twitch streamers was all about how being an attractive female was easy street for views. I don't have stats on that and the thing is, it doesn't even matter. Finding success on Twitch is mostly luck, but it's also about finding your audience and carving out the niche of your show. These women did that very well. Everyone is happy because everyone is getting paid a shitload to let it ride.

Fast forward almost a decade, and these same niches exist, but the big change that's afoot is that targeted advertising is becoming scary good at picking it's audience, and advertisers are becoming more familiar with Twitch as a platform, and in the streaming world as a whole. The tools for choosing who you market to are truly insane on these well-developed platforms and this ushers in a new change: Selectively picking who you market to with high precision, and what channels you market on. This is generally done via explicit and inferred demographic information, but also by stream tags, stream content, and of course, stream categories. This was originally a feature unique to AdSense, and especially prevalent on YouTube, but there is historical precedent for this kind of division and sequestering long before Twitch's kerfuffle. There is a reason why some Youtube views pay $1.00 / 1000 views, and others pay $10.00 / thousand views: Bidding wars on a very specific set of demos and content.

Brands are very controlling of their brand perception, and they market very selectively. If your ad starts to run on a stream featured on booba.tv, that 'Might Make The Brand Look Bad™', depending on what you are marketing and the personal feelings of whomever is making those decisions. If enough advertisers ask Twitch for tools to better choose where they market, then we land where we are today.

Here's what very likely happened: A critical mass of the advertising income has requested to be granted a way to remove themselves from that pool of content. Twitch can't just flag streams for arbitrary content, so they make a set of changes that can support the changes requested: A new category of streams. Advertisers can explicitly opt out. In the meantime, Twitch keeps that money in-network and just channels it elsewhere on the platform.

Twitch does not give a poo poo about the children. Twitch doesn't care about the 'attractive women have it easy' culture war nonsense. Twitch's only motivation here is, 'Our viewership is a very lucrative marketing demo -- how do we keep it that way, and how do we make this platform attractive for marketing?' This was a compromise designed for marketing purposes and nothing else. This has literal zero to do with some men being mad at women.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 22, 2021

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's all fine, but it's critically important to not assign meaning to some cooperate actions where none exists. Twitch culture is pretty bad, and that should be discussed and hashed out to hopefully improve that, and this recent set of actions might have even stoked a specific set of flames re: that conversation. However, one cannot assign meaning to some action where it doesn't exist. Twitch's lovely culture and Twitch's marketing-driven policies are completely unrelated and should not be conflated in a discussion.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There isn't anything that unbelievable about DLSS coming to a new version of the Switch if they were going to cut new silicon for it. I'm not sure that there are any real hardware or software requirements that would necessarily exclude that reality.

Now, where they would get the fab time is an interesting question, but I doubt that some Tegra X1++ would be on 7/5nm.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

At least wear clothes that fit instead of some formless baggy mess and shorts with gigantically wide legs that go beneath the knees.

It's not that hard to buy a decent pair of jeans or well-cut shorts and a short sleeved shirt or polo shirt. Maybe you won't be the height of fashion, but at least you won't look like you just grabbed something at random from the closet, without turning on the lights.

My entire wardrobe is loose polyester tshirts and long, wide shorts. That poo poo is comfy and easy to wear, and I'm long past the point of caring what people think :P.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

So TBQH driving the mosfets at >130% of their rated load is close to the worst thing you can do to them, which is why that example was dead after 2 minutes of torture. If their testing procedure involved twiddling the buttons on their load tester to simulate a real-world load, it probably wouldn't kill them as fast.

But that would be stupid because the whole point of the test was to see if the OCP on those PSUs is set to a consistent and reasonable point (no) and whether it does the job of saving the PSU from catastrophic failure (no).

I'm not so good at this - just to clarify here then: The 'core' problem here is that OCP is set way too high, and that if OCP was tighter, these might be fine units? Or is there also other component problems present?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

It lets you pretend that engineering compromises don't exist and tell yourself that you're going to upgrade things that you 100% won't.

I swear the mindless obsession with detrimental customization is bleeding over from games to the real world.

Yeah, so if you want to be told how to use your hardware and software with virtually no customization options exposed, then Apple makes stuff for you. You'd also be right to observe that they sell a ton of devices.

I like it when my devices let me do things though, and 'detrimental customization' is only detrimental when you prefer being told what you can do, and how you can do it. The idea of modular IO is honestly enough for me to seriously consider a Framework device.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shipon posted:

A bit disappointed in the sort of just weak magnet thing on there as decoration when it could have been like, a paint job or something, but it's great that it's not attached to some garbage PSU

I feel like if you are buying the PSU, your standards are already compromised. You can get a TX for the same price as that gold prime platform, so....

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

Jay is a castle doctrine idiot and should be entirely ignored on any topic except making custom PCs.

Probably should also be ignored for that as well.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is a complicated and difficult situation for Newegg, but for completely stupid reasons. It's a same class of problem that so many companies run into, but it's not really fixable without taking a Risk, and risk is just unacceptable for many. They have 4 VPs who I would say at least are at least moderately interesting in fixing this problem. 3 of them have seniority measured in 'months', which is really important in defining the pace of such a process if it were to ever happen.

The problem has nothing to do with their willingness to make changes, but has everything to do with the company's willingness to allow these folks to take risk. VPs with no seniority will not get any space to take a major risk to fix the problem. That major risk in this case is probably, 're-evaluate KPIs. Loosen them up a bit, or maybe re-define them entirely'. If that kind of a change results in a cost center costing even more, then the VP is going to get flack, especially when they are working on the margins they are. Worse yet, the VPs know this and they know they have no political ammo to spend, and so they don't -- it's career suicide, and even if it successfully addressed the issue, it will come at the cost of *something* on the balance sheet and it looks 'bad', regardless of any positive secondary effects.

My read here is that without a decree on high from the C-levels to make changes, nothing substantial will get changed. Even then, the risk is instead being offloaded to the Cs that say, 'do it' instead of the VPs, and if there is one thing execs are good at, it's protecting their own rear end and inflated wages.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Linus getting ahead of himself again and declaring HEDT dead, because AMD didn't release a non-Pro Threadripper next to the Pro one. As if we didn't have a microchip shortage, that's still on going, and is eventually going to get worse again (with what the upcoming Neon shortage), and AMD dared to change priorities for chiplet allocation.

He's not wrong though. HEDT's killer features in the past were core count, PCIe lanes, and sometimes memory capacity. For all basically anything that's not a hardcore production box, the only thing that you really can't get now out of a 5950x et al are the crazy PCIe lane count. There is also usually a ton of L2/L3 on HEDT chips, but Ryzen 3 isn't that far behind the TRX4 chips that exist today.

That said, I would still like to see HEDT as a chip class. I don't think *I* would ever choose one with the state that Ryzen is in today, but it fulfills an interesting niche.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This thread assumes pretty bad faith from Linus, but I really don't get that vibe at all from him.

I'd imagine they film at his home a lot when they want to do 'real at home things' because it's legally way, way easier to navigate, not to mention that it's him who's taking the 'doxxing risk' when they are filming around the neighborhood. Like, Occum's Razor applies here something fierce.

There are a ton, a ton of youtubers who are clearly acting in bad faith and just wanna flex, but I really don't see it in Linus.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 19, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lih posted:

people seem to be more saying it's in bad taste not bad faith?

Sure, but I think it's just the shortest path (maybe only path?) to not having legal issues. Maybe it's in bad taste, but it's also the only real option.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
LTT stuff tends to be high quality in my experience. I'll probably be getting their screwdriver as soon as I can. In a world filled with crappy, disposable crap, it's pretty awesome to see someone trying to offer something decent.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

does anyone make an electric screwdriver with a really well calibrated torque sensor or something, i could see that having functional utility. like imagine a screwdriver you could go "okay i'm screwing in a threadripper" and an app on your phone would tell you what corner to put the screwdriver, tighten it just so, move on to the next one etc. i bet that might sell.

holy poo poo, absolutely not. If you make me hook a loving screwdriver up to my phone, I'll pay you to take that as far away from me as you can and then pay you again for a dollar store phillips.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’m so loving tired of everything being a subscription.

I was watching the cyberpunk anime today and in the first EP they had a scene where the in unit washing machine stopped mid-cycle because they ran out of money, and I feel we’re genuinely frighteningly close to that reality.

It’s not fair when everything is explicitly designed to be subscription so they can suck more money out of you. IMO Subscriptions need to have real, tangible, remote access or multiple delivery necessities to be acceptable.

Having to subscribe to a remote GPU that could fit in your home PC without issue because they can get more money in the end should be legislated into the shadow realm.

Then don't engage with it. Draw some philosophical lines and abide by them. I really, really hate everything being a subscription to, and I've made some radical changes because I don't want to deal. I used to tutor Photoshop and Premier. I've just fully abandoned Adobe and now find myself with Resolve and Affinity products - It was a gross transition to relearn complex software, but thems the breaks. I also don't want to pay monthly for a bunch of little software hosting services, so I maintain my own hardware and host my own stuff. The total list of my non-utility subscriptions is Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Discord. Discord I think just provides a good service and I really don't want it to go away. Netflix and Amazon are fine, and represent me trying to meet media companies half way - if your stuff isn't on one of those services well...:filez:

The problem is that people are unwilling to actually pay the cost NOT having a subscription for a lot of things. People don't want to learn new stuff, and the immediate path of least resistance is what pretty much everyone takes. It's honestly relatively easy to avoid subscription things if you are willing to pay some upfront costs, and it's REALLY easy to avoid them if you aren't losing sleep over piracy. You just have to do it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

did google ever even deploy a second hardware generation, or were they still trucking along with ye olde vega56 nodes?

They were still on Vega56. I assume part of the calculus here was, 'are we actually going to update these nodes?' and after looking at the balance sheet for the project, that question answered itself.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

I'm no great advocate for Linus, but honestly treating your sponsors with a haphazard and begrudging nonchalance is 100% the correct move

Especially when they are selling a 'sleep' monitor ring for $400 and a $6 / month subscription.

Who is buying this trash?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Charles Leclerc posted:

If you're trying to hook up with somebody at a bar, don't tell them the thermal capacity of your sweet custom water loop. For some reason it never works.

The bars you are going to must be boring my dude.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

Keep in mind that the first gpu able to run games at 4k/60 with raytracing and all the nice graphics features has more RAM and power budget than a whole series X. Unless you want a 60fps with basic graphics and 30fps with nicer graphics selection at every game install, i don't see it feasible in this generation of consoles(double so if the series s keeps existing and lowering minimum resource targets)

Raytracing is not 'one tech' - the implementation details matter. A lot of games just do shadows or specific kinds of reflections. There is a whole discussion about Ray Tracing vs Path Tracing. A discussion about upscaling matters. A discussion about how the hardware available should probably inform all these decisions matters. I'd get lost in the deep specifics here as this isn't the part of games I work on, but what I'm getting at is that Ray Tracing is not 'one tech with one implementation'.

Point here is that this quite a silly thing to say. The SoC in the PS5 and XSX are great and the industry has pushed out games that look great on worse hardware. There is a pile of games on these consoles that look great that run at 60 FPS. God of War (just as an example) is not a game with 'basic graphics'. This is not the damning trade off that some seem to insist needs to be made. Games do not need to run at 4k with all the (poorly implemented) trimmings to look good.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mkbhd is the ultimate rich guy Stan. There is no way he goes against anyone worth more than 7 figures

Mkbhd has made a wonderful career out of being an enormous tool for huge companies and rich people.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

This is most tech youtubers (and all apple youtubers) to be honest.

This if fair -- you aren't wrong here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anthony is still my LTT crush

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
LTT does pretty good stuff overall and ride the line between 'informative' and 'entertainment' pretty well. I really have no loving idea why people hate Linus - the dude has some weird takes but if you want to stack rack All The Businesses to work for, LTT is probably pretty high on the list.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

Why’s this thread always hating on Brownlee. He seems nice! His content is more tech stuff from a lifestyle/everyday people perspective and less from a sysadmin/power user/tech weirdo one, but even then reviews are always pretty even-handed and thoughtful, and honestly can be a refreshing change from your engineer-brained perspectives like GN or whatever. This thread would have you believe he’s some megashill but his reviews never really play out like that.

He doesn't review products so much as he acts as a hype man for his favorite companies. He provides about as much value to a discussion about a product as a channel that talks only about the Unboxing Experience. He's not interested in functionality and a lot more interested in Lifestyle As a Service™. He's a calculated part of the marketing effort of the companies he shills for. Less generiously: He is a tool for multi-billion dollars companies.

If you want someone to tell you that every apple product you bought is definitely the coolest thing because it's cool, then I suppose that channel has value.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

My god, what an idiot, $60,000,000 is pure, can't gently caress it up generational wealth, it's not mansion money, it's not sports car money, competently financially managed and assuming he has other assets/investments and at least some of that other $40M work out, his family wouldn't have to worry about money for generations, especially if he is happy in his current lifestyle and can spend another decade or two comfortably building a cash pile to comfortably start getting into things like private equity, real estate.

My god, jesus christ, he is admitting to this.

Yeah uh, the dude clearly likes what he does and his org. I think LTT misses sometimes, does some goofy poo poo, and I prefer my Steve's to my Linus's, but regardless of what I, or anyone else thinks, Linus did build an impressive empire here. I'm pretty excited for him and I'm excited that he didn't sell the company as it would have almost certainly went to poo poo without him.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I generally defend LTT and their goofy poo poo they do, and I also do think that Linus *generally* wants to run a good company, but his response to this is extremely stupid.

Steve just handed you a gift - an opportunity to reset and revisit your process in a way that lets you draw a clear line between 'before' and 'after'. You could have just taken that and ran with a bog-standard apology, and even if you don't change anything, you *still* come out looking pretty good as 'guy who (at least pretends) to care'.

And instead, Linus can't get over himself for more then 30 minutes and just argues semantics. It's so dumb and down right embarrassing.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Youtube tech idiots fandom thread: Shakespeare is cancelled

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been paying for Premium for awhile, and while I generally am all about paying for services, Youtube does not make me feel like a customer at all.

The technical problems Youtube has solved are phenomenal and it's done a great job of making the video input/output machine work. The actual UX of it is complete and total dogshit. I cannot believe how loving pathetic *everything* about that site is. Nothing works how I want it to, and a lot of the things I want *used* to exist. Search being limited to 7 results is a loving joke. No I don't want to see Shorts, ever again. No, I don't want to see Mr. Beast ever again.

I compare this to a service like Kagi, where I very much feel like a customer paying for a service. The entire service is built around exactly what I would want as a user and it kinda reminded me that software can actually be good.

I pay $15 a month to Youtube and I *still* feel like the loving product - that's the offensive bit here

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tracecomplete posted:

Does "don't recommend channel" not work for you?

I don't see any of the garbage-poo poo people mention here, and I blocked them years and years ago.

(the shorts and search poo poo can gently caress off though)

There is a whole pile of channels I've set to 'don't recommend' and they still show up every few months. I'm constantly swatting flies with in that god forsaken platform.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That Intel marketing deck is down-right embarrassing - especially from the company that so successfully convinced people 'i5' or 'i7' has any meaning whatsoever.

I cannot believe the lack of self-awareness on display

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Keep in mind SA is full of the kind of people who will run shell scripts and edit registry entries to disable built-in cloud backups

It's me. I have a big ol' pile of GPO magic that turns off literally everything that is cloud.

cloud-based anything is not a feature on my OS. That's a cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Really laptops should just be a dumb terminal with wifi 6/5G connections to remote VMs on a daracenter :colbert:

Stateless appliances baybeeee

Speaking of computing cancer ..