Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
has anyone said

Elon Elon Bilk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What portion of the twitter horde are bots?

More broadly, why do people worship Musk, of all people? What's the motivating drive? It's really lost me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I guess that's where the disconnect occurs for me, as someone relatively familiar with a lot of the different cultural and methodological trappings of science. Musk is so completely at odds with even the most primitive notions of what science is that I don't see how even the completely moronic could worship him as an avatar of techie brilliance. Even the i loving love science poo poo has some closer bearing on reality, some distant attachment to inflated empiricism, than musk.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I sincerely appreciate all of your posts, they all helped, but this:

Rex-Goliath posted:

i’m not talking about actual scientists or ‘nerds’

i’m talking about geeks

...I think this really is helping me grope my way toward connecting the dots for myself. Let me try something.

Muskovites : Elon Musk :: Trump : internet chuds

Does that work? He succeeds due to "merit", so I identify with him (despite being an unimaginable mediocrity), so attacks on him are an attack on me?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

infernal machines posted:

it's an EV, there's no tailpipe

he's gotta gently caress the panel gaps

No, that's how the panel gaps get there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think I remember that intersection from Dead Space 2.

Qwijib0 posted:

found this new explanation for the no-rail-at-the-factory

it's an angle I hadn't heard or thought of but if it's true is there some low level of trains where it's not worth running them? (also surely someone else would have unearthed the minutes from these local meetings with the number of twitter gumshoes)

That's...not a great angle. Companies, competent ones at least, know how to circumvent NIMBY ordinances and policies. It's...not a very complicated process to subvert ordinances and municipal government.

edit: not that doing so is good, of course! the inability to maintain some sort of zoning plan is the wellspring of an often underestimated proportion of harm and inequality in the US. But, I mean, companies know how to do it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 25, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

prisoner of waffles posted:

"loquacious and mendacious" is a pretty good musk descriptor

How has no one said TaaS run

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Could one of you fine goons link me to the Tesla warranty, please? I want to read those act of god/water/low temperatures clauses.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sorry, I didn't trust the one on their website to be accurate to the one people sign.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 20, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

Only thing Elon has done that’s a net positive is make rich people waste their money on lovely novelty cars

and I guess make us laugh

syphilis

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

things needed to steal a Tesla:

* phone
* tablet
* ability to unplug the charging plug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odG2GX4_cUQ

I am enjoying to massively racist bazinga in the comments replying to literally every one with something about "illegals."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

wait, I thought this was the grey thread

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

qirex posted:

yeah all those people holed up in connecticut who spend 2 hours each way on the train to ny because of the :airquote: good schools :airquote: back home are normal but someone in california who does the same thing is a crazy weirdo

let's not also forget all the white flight exurbs around dc/baltimore

The traffic and land use planning in those areas is positively symphonic compared to California. You citing a train ride example's actually...a pretty big part of that. Maryland's got white flight suburbs, absolutely- but they've also got some of the most muscular, independent zoning boards in the country, because of how MD political power is shifted heavily to the county level.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

sounds like a conductor problem

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think they call them transformers now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tell him to just activate automatic driving and it will seek out a snowplow for him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What is Musk's role that he's still making public statements?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

He’s still CEO of Tesla, the SEC only made him step down as chairman of the board

oh right sorry

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Behavioral economics is no better than other areas of economics, its issues are just expressed in forms more familiar to pop psych.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Platystemon posted:

A Delorean was used for the gag where the farmer thought it was an alien spaceship.

Whatever can be said for Tesla, their cars cannot be mistaken for spaceships.

Tragically, Tesla's products are all too often mistaken for cars.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Guys, I've figured out how to increase capacity, speed, safety, and solve the elevator/access problem all at once. And I've made it all autonomous. And I have a chart.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Imagine if the resources and imagination and engineering at Tesla had gone into cleaning up the Pacific trash vortex.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What's this I'm hearing about Musk ripping off an indie artist and passing off their work as his own?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

that's the one, thanks. it's just recirculating in the garbage gyre of social media.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 30, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

For your entertainment:

https://www.postandcourier.com/opin...fc5de09ff5.html

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tesla Stock on a Blockchain Offers Hint of Where Crypto's Headed

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sorry about that, I was too excited by the chance to post some Powerman 5000 gifs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I wonder who he stole that rocket illustration from.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Vape Pen: The Car: The Rocket

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

tk posted:

Ran into couple Teslas chilling in an ex-Sears parking lot at lunch today.

What temperature was it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Loop breakdown for you midwestern accent enthusiasts, courtesy of donoteat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm the groverhaus callout

edit: ok i just finished is this dude a goon? he's yospos as gently caress

yes. username is donoteat. I think I was wrong earlier and it's a Boston accent.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

infernal machines posted:

anthem downtime due to race condition

idgi

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ohhhh

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Adding to my list of "Musk is the next generation of Trump" indicia

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

The more I learn about him the more I realize he is exactly like Trump. The only real difference between them is that he sells himself to ignorant tech fetish nerds instead of ignorant insecure racists.

That venn looks more and more like a circle over time. tbh I'd say the only real difference is Musk is still relatively lucid and competent. Relatively.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There are good threads in SAL populated by subject area experts with a nuanced understanding of the theory and limitations of their fields.

That, uh, yeah, that ain't looking like one of them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What's the viable temp range issue solution like for other brands, such as the ones going hard in Europe and Scandinavia? I know they've got built-in heaters, but doesn't the reduced range still ruin the energy/cost calculus?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The thread title is good, but I do think we're about due for a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crossposting from CSPAM

https://twitter.com/ETeletubby/status/1096242973988118529

Really generous estimate tbh