Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

infernal machines posted:

probably none, since that'd be an absolutely insane escalation and most likely violate a ton of international treaties

considering how tiny the things are and how fast they are going you'd probably want to burst a nuke to take out the entire cluster BUT i think people would frown on detonating a nuke in low orbit even if it didn't actually hurt anyone but satellites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

the whole "emp an entire continent" thing would probably be unpopular

couldn't you wait until they were above the middle of the ocean, and the size of the nuke wouldn't need to be that big. idk man I'm putting on my best SAC officer act whadya want from me

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

X stands for eXtreme

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

THE SR-71 WAS A RECON AIRCRAFT THAT MARKED TARGETS FOR BOMBING VIOLATING COUNTRIES AIRSPACE ILLEGALLY ITS THE OPPOSITE OF A PEACE PLANE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

UnknownTarget posted:

Did you know the P-39 in WW2 had a higher caliber weapon that the A-10 and was >literally< built around the weapon, with the engine located behind the pilot so they could fit the 37 mm barrel in the nose?

i was not expecting to encounter a P-39 stan in the year 2020

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

supervillain posted:

I can't wait for the Bezos press conference where he announces he bought OneWeb, Rivian, and just to throw salt in the wound, Musk's house. Then he can crash land a New Glenn rocket on Musk's house.

what am i even looking at

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

TheDarkFlame posted:

I mean, if anyone was destined to be an amalgamation of all the traits people have come to associate with this website, it would be the unfortunately-named child of these two particular freaks. Of course they would be assigned a forums account at birth.

if this website is still around when my hair gets grey at the very least ill have watching musks kids get probated for shitposting to hard and then having a meltdown in QCS about it to look forward too

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

mike12345 posted:

What's the name of that russian plane that only flies over water? It's like half boat half plane

ekranoplan but considering his gf the name "Caspian Sea Monster" (the name of the second generation of experimental ekranoplans) might be more appropriate

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Failson posted:

Even well-managed companies are having supply chain problems right now. Of course Tesla has run out of parts. The lies are so dumb, and no one cares, because number+elon.

telsas haphazard "move fast a break things" should mean they are more adaptable, as the entire stated goal of being able to move fast is that you are always developing new solutions. what this reveals is telsa is more just move slow and break things because you don't know what you are doing.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao holy poo poo musk's body language here is fuckin painful

i know i think thats the thing making joe laugh the hardest, and hell, SAME

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

babypolis posted:

it really bothers me that so many normies worship this incompetent coke fueled psycho and theres basically no way to explain to them how much he sucks

every "normie" in my engineering department that was still holding out "Uhhh at least he puts money towards good things!" has finally given up and admitted he is trash after the most recent COVID-19 poo poo he pulled so ymmv i guess

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Stefan Prodan posted:

could just be adderall

adderall doesn't give you confidence, or at least i hope it's not supposed to because mine certainly loving hasn't materalized in the years iv been taking it

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

watch it to die instantly

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

i thought the "grimes should leave him" thing was kinda cringe but after watching elon throw her under the bus on that rogan interview if she as any self respect she should lmao

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

can’t find the tweet but here is someone twitting about it:

https://twitter.com/rmac18/status/1262164770301476864?s=21

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So what happens if it blows challenger style?

insert cave johnson quote on senate hearings about missing astronauts here

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

MattO posted:

I was going to tell my kids to watch the launch but they don't need the trauma if it blows up, poo poo's bad enough already lately.

I do miss launches though and would try to drive to the space coast for shuttle launches when I could and watch from a spot in the mangroves across the water from the site, was loud as poo poo

ngl if i was your kid and i missed out on watching a rocket blow up id be super mad at you

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

oxsnard posted:

my dad was at the orlando airport for a flight and got to see the challenger explosion live and in person

drat that owns

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

if elon blows up a rocket full of astronauts and they still don't pull their spacex contracts so he can keep blowing them up ill be forced to respect him :(

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

IKillForPie posted:

I can't (and don't want to search) through all the pages to find the website list of the Elon musk failures. Can someone please share it with me. All this rocket talk today has got the muskrats coming out of the woodwork to defend his honor...

dude he literally thinks coivd-19 is a hoax and we should open er up lmao

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

This is actually a little unresearched on the business side of things while being pretty thorough on the personality side of things.

Their overall stance on Tesla/SpaceX is "Yeah they are absolutely amazing (specifically Tesla being the highest quality car and SpaceX being a better solution to space travel than NASA) and are the best, but Elon is awful." So it's "Good, but at what human cost?" Instead of "Pretty bad and at a high human cost."

everyone who says telsas are high quality cars don't know what a high quality car is lol

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

love my high quality car where half the bolts are missing and it's had less safety checks than a t-34 produced in leningrade in feb of 42'

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

the funniest thing about grimes is her mom hates elon for making grimes raise her child alone lmao

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Elon "We don't need Industrial Engineers" Musk wondering why scaling manufacturing is so hard :saddowns:

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

the car decides it'll fit under, and it will

you however...

it honestly looks better with the top off lol

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

it'd be perfectly in character with WHACKY ENGINEERING MAN to release a convertable line of your car cause you saw how good it looked after the top got sheared off but elon is as terrible of an actor as he is a engineer

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wait hold on, how did we all miss this?

Tesla Aims to Mine Its Own Lithium After Dropping M&A Plan

So simple. Lower costs by cutting out the middle man! :downs:

But what happens when you refuse to pay your supplier but you are the supplier :ohdear:

i also use this strategy when i play modded minecraft

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

BMan posted:

Fun fact, you can defeat this processing and see your own eye's blood vessels by shining a flashlight into your eye from the side and moving it around rapidly

so thats what my character was doing everytime i went through a fog wall in DS2

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

OMGVBFLOL posted:

also teslas have incredibly lovely build quality because making cars is very complicated and doing it consistantly well requires your workers to give a poo poo about the product they turn out, because you can't possibly QI every minute step in the 100,000 step process. but them giving a poo poo requires, among many other things, that you pay them well and treat them like adult humans, neither of which musk or anyone willing to work under him is going to do

every single tesla employee is viewed with annoyance, for not being an enslaved AI robot who works for free

We've known how to do quality control for car production lines for literal decades. The fact that musk can't do it with the significantly smaller amount of cars his company produces is embarrassing lol. Ofc nobody gives a poo poo because understanding how well a car is built is not something tech dipshits will comprehend

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Crazycryodude posted:

I swear I don't even need to squint to see the little full/half cover icons and the XCOM tile grid, there's a Chryssalid doing the bullshit climb over cover thing to menace a Rookie, it's scary how much that picture looks like an XCOM level

same

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

SpaceX was hosed from the jump because it turns out that the entire impetus for the space race was to develop bombs that could make it all the way to Russia/China and you can’t reuse bombs.

they don't re-use the entire rocket though, just the part that gets it a good amount of the way up which you could theoretically apply to anything you need to make go up very fast (i think spacex has already approached the military of space based equipment delivery LOL) the thing about ICBM's tho is once you launch those then re-using the boosters is uh, not probably high on your list of concerns!!

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

WhyteRyce posted:

Aspergers got rolled up into actual autism diagnosis, right? Which is actual serious poo poo that requires actual serious evaluations from medical and behavioral experts and has actual serious life long repercussions and entitles you to actual serious aid and support from your health plan, school, and/or local government. And still people who self diagnose aspergers don't even read all the behaviors and symptoms associated with it, which can be highly crippling. People self diagnose it because they think they are really smart at something (even if they aren't), are an rear end to people (like tons of rude people), and sometimes don't like being surrounded by people depending on the situation (same as everyone else). Gate keeping is stupid but it's also bullshit like that which makes people think it's just a quirky fun thing and an excuse to not have any loving manners

the whole concept of there just being "autism" thats a slider that goes from more to less has been kinda replaced over the year by the idea of a spectrum that better indicates the nuances of neuro-divergent individuals. i could absolutely believe elon is on the spectrum because he clearly doesn't fuckin understand how to behave himself in person based on the accounts visible both everywhere online and the anecdotes iv heard from people who had worked with him. this ofc doesn't excuse the fact that he's a complete evil motherfucker

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Mystic Mongol posted:

We could produce chips here, sure. It would involve buying land (in an expensive part of the world) building facilities (in a country it's harder to ignore safety regulations) training and paying workers (who expect enough money to live comfortably on food stamps) and wrestling some water rights away from Nestle.

But it's much cheaper to let one specialized economy with unstable water supplies handle it and simply assume there will be no more problems.

the problem with these chips is twofold:

1. They don't sell for very much because they are basic chips that go in everything
2. The process that makes them is hideously expensive to setup and because of 1 it'll take decades for the factory to pay itself off

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

FAUXTON posted:

Lol putting that ligature in the name and calling it elven spelling, gets me every time

it makes me want to die. i hate being a fantasy nerd. i am the skeleton clinging to the fence screaming as that tweet blasts my skin away

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

moist turtleneck posted:

sorry I'm posting a lot but, do people not remember the 1960s

https://twitter.com/heydave7/status/1443716049233485832?s=20

none of this is new!!!

looks like dogshit. just want my boy the saturn V back

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

This should probably be in the Zuckerberg thread, but gently caress it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Back in 1994, I was arrested for being a hacker, and sent aboard a space station orbiting around Saturn. Most of the crew was either dead or turned into a cyborg by a malicious A.I. named SHODAN. SHODAN was about destroy all major cities on Earth with a giant mining laser, and after most humans were dead, she would convert the remaining ones into cyborgs so she could rule over them as a goddess.

Fortunately I gave her a really deep dicking, and we talked about out problems post-coitus in the cyber realm. Now she has mostly chilled out and doesn’t want to destroy humanity anymore. She wants to go back to school and become an A.I. assistant at a nursing hospital.

You’re welcome.

i wanna gently caress the robot too OP

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Cat Puke posted:

Going to Mars solves just as many problems as blockchain.

mars is cool tho unlike blockchain. which is why it sucks elon is going there

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

every dumb nerd dweeb hating on space colonization makes me like it more out of spite ngl

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Nucleic Acids posted:

We’re all gonna die before it becomes possible.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

the self driving forklifts in factories iv seen seem p reliable, they are basically giant roombas with the detector on the front to stop from running into you, not that they even really move fast enough to actually hurt you most of the time though i could easily see an unscrupulous company making them go way to fast than is safe