Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So what are the odds of there being a side quest or a character or interaction or SOMETHING in RDR2 that will make headlines? It feels like this game is going to be way too mainstream and there will be way too much attention on it for it to slide by without a mole hill being turned into a mountain.

Qubee posted:

is it worth buying a PS4 just so I can play this on release? really don't want to wait for a PC release cause I have no idea how soon (probably not soon) it will get released.

and if I do buy a PS4, which one do I even get? there's so many variations of PS4 that just confuses me.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I think you should be fine with pretty much any of the variations of the PS4 provided it's got enough hard drive space. I'm looking to grab a used one, hopefully with 1TB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pivit posted:

Here is Rockstar/Dan Houser's statement clarifying the 100 hour week thing.

Oooooh poo poo, see? Controversies are already starting and the game isn't even on shelves yet!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I've been reading the last few pages and some of the complaints make me wonder if RDR2 is your first time playing video games.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

uncle w benefits posted:

Forcing myself to like this game is going to be a slog.

:allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So apparently one of the best ways to get perfect animal skins is to lasso the hell out of whatever animal you're hunting down, then when they're roped up you can skin that motherfucker and end up with a high-quality skin.

Haven't done this yet because I'm at work, but I guess it only works on anything deer sized and up.

The idea of lassoing a racoon makes me chuckle though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

People who complain about no bonuses for being a bad guy are still dumb but it is legitimately awful that I can get a bounty on my head for defending myself against O'Driscolls who start pumping me full of lead in the middle of town.

Goddamn O'Driscolls.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I am bad at games like poker.

So bad that Pearson beat me in a couple of games of dominos and now he absolutely will not shut up about how he won. Every chance he has to say something to me it's about when he won.

One of these days Pearson, you're getting a fist right in the kisser.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How do I go take pictures of those famous gun fighters? I have the camera but nothing is on the map. Did I miss my chance to find them?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

People who have issues with the save system and who are also playing on PS4, you can just do what I do: Pause the game. Then go do something else. After your PS4 goes into power saving mode you can come back whenever and resume where you were. The PS4 has got a pretty great sleep mode but I'm unsure about its hibernation mode. Anyway, I think it does this for like, most everything.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh ya, and make sure you're the only person who uses the PS4.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

RDR2 has been out for less than a week and already game critics who don't give the game the glowing review it deserves are getting the typical slew of lovely comments from angry gamers that the general public now officially label as "death threats".

lovely gamers being lovely

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Unrelated to the shittyness, but that review is so wrong just because it wanted MORE of what everyone in this thread hates. More missed quests, more missed random events, more micromanaging hunger, no way to pay off bounties, etc.

Ya well, I mean, Slant.

DrNutt posted:

Well just had to put my first support ticket into Rockstar. I found a Domestic American Cat and the game allowed me to praise it one time, but after that the option to praise it was greyed out, and I was also not given the option of giving him pets.

I'm beginning to think they did zero testing on this thing before shipping it out.

CRITICAL.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Looks like a feature to me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man I had to pay off like $450+ western buckeroos because of all the gotdang bounties on my head after killing an army of lawmen and bounty hunters across two townships or someshit and now I'm broke as HELL.

I better buckle down and do some story missions or something because I ain't winning any high stakes poker games anytime soon.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just started Chapter 3 and rode into town on my trusty steed. On the way to visit the Fence I ran over some loving yokel who was lying down on the goddamn ground having a afternoon snooze like an idiot.

He gets up and his woman runs off yelling for the law. The yokel runs after her shouting that I assualted him.

I get off my horse and chase after them. I stop them to diffuse the situation and threaten the guy, he shits his pants and promises to not get the law involved.

I threaten the woman and she loving slaps the hat off my head before diffusing.

She's lucky I had gold bars to offload because I Was THIS close to popping dead eye and shooting her right in the middle of town.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 4, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I guess getting taken for a fool plenty of times during RDR1 lead me to suspect that something was up when I came across a lady on the ground calling for help.

I've stopped for plenty of strangers earlier in the game, and I usually draw on them after initially greeting them. If they're asking for help with something their reactions to me pulling my gun will usually give me a heads up on if they're being honest or not.

This lady sees my repeater and starts to tell me if I'm not going to be a gentleman then she won't be a lady. Before she even finishes her sentence I dead eye her and the two dudes on horseback coming over the hill.

Not today, bandits.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

super macho dude posted:

Just found out the hard way you can kick a cat to death :smith:

Does this work on cougars?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Works on anything if you are brave enough

What condition are skins from animals you poo poo kick to death?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

You actually don't get skins from kicking an animal to death, instead Rockstar sends an email to your mother telling her that she didn't hug you enough as a child.

Oh so knifing an animal in the throat is fine and dandy but if I decide to put my cattle kickers to work...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sulphagnist posted:

There was a stranger like that where I could tell from the voice acting they were full of poo poo. That was a cool moment.

I forgot to mention I totally L.A Noired the lady trying to honeypot me. When I greeted her she said her horse had an accident and she fell off and sprained her foot. There wasn't a horse anywhere in sight.

A few days before that I actually helped a lady who's horse died on her. I even encountered the body of the dead horse and looted it before running into her.

So I just knew it was a trap.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wait, where do you take baths in this game? I just realized I haven't washed my dude since I started. No one's commented yet, but maybe that's because I took a swim recently while treasure huntin'

And in more tales from the frontier...I'm an outlaw who's an outlaws worst nightmare. So far I've stumbled across a couple of morons busy hammering away on a lock box from a wagon they hijacked. I stayed a good distance away and after they succeeded opening the box I shot em both while they celebrated. I took the contents for safe keeping.

Then later as I crossed a plateau near the choo choo track I overheard a trio of O'Driscolls in the midst of a railway heist. I watched as they robbed the train and killed the crew and passengers. The O'Driscolls began to ride off while commenting on how much fun that was. One dead eye later and I was looting their corpses.

Sufficed to say I'm always wearing my bandana.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I suck at poker but even I can win a few games of dominos.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Reign Of Pain posted:

I ran across them twice. The 1st time I just shot them :blastu: and blew the door off the box with some dynamite. The 2nd time I rode up on them they started telling me that it was none of my business and I better get outta there and BOOM they blew themselves up and I just walked over and took the money out of the box. The 2nd time I ran in them was right after the mission where you burn down the tobacco fields so I had a different horse and the explosion killed it....glad it didn't kill theirs.

That actually sounds like a completely different pair of wagon hijacking idiots since these two didn't have a single stick of dynamite between the two of them and they managed to manually bust the box open instead before I went and popped them.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

ah what a quaint little town

*howdy mister* *you sum' bitch*

oh neat look at all the animals

https://i.imgur.com/kTQ0STc.gifv

i fuckin hate this town

I would have dead eye'd all that poo poo if that happened to me. I've got a short fuse and a hair trigger in this game and I intend to use it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Aranan posted:

Damnit, I just had two frustrating experiences, both involving me riding out to Emerald Ranch.

First, I happened across a carriage and got the prompt that the fence down there would take it. "Great," I thought, "I could use some money." I rode all the way there (took like 10 minutes) and as the fence was opening the barn doors, it hit the horses on the front and I got a message saying it was now too damaged and the fence wouldn't want it.

Later on, doing a story quest a decent bit away, I ran across some lady saying her horse died and she needed a ride back. I decided to give her one, even though Emerald Ranch was in the opposite direction of where I was headed. I am riding riding riding and didn't pay attention so I bumped into a rock with the ranch in view and fell off. She stayed on and my horse was fine, so I walked up to it and pressed triangle. For some reason, instead of mounting, I grabbed her and put her in a choke hold??? She didn't want anything to do with me after that and ran away screaming.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I kind of love reading these quests gone terribly sideways stories and seeing how they differ from my own experiences in these encounters.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tumble posted:

Does anybody know of a farm that has pigs on it? I need animal fat and I want to get it by slaughtering a bunch of somebody else's pigs rather than getting it honestly by shooting ducks and geese.

The Aberdeen pig farm... that didn't have any pigs...

Start the Gunslinger quest and go looking for a man named Emmet Granger.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

LegoMan posted:

Some prisoner coach was carrying a Mexican woman, so I saved her because they called her a dangerous foreigner. She wanted me to shoot the lock but it was really hard because she kept hanging out right in front of the drat lock.

Solution: Shoot her first, then shoot the lock.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Post your Arthur Morgans :clint:

(I like how the model clipping through his union shirt looks like holes in the fabric)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Loten posted:

Another side effect was that after I beat the poo poo out of that guy, but before I got arrested, the butcher also decided to have a go and I had to put him down as well. So Strawberry was butcher-less for a few days. He later reappeared with a blood covered face.

That's how long it takes for West World's I.T department to repair the hosts you gently caress up.

TheAnomaly posted:

Even better with the robbed wagons: they're often dynamiting a safe, and if you wait for them to say "got it" then walk up, they'll pull guns on you, tell you to back off, and then blow up because the dynamite was lit.

Holy poo poo that's awesome.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

MAXIMUM 'STACHE

I approve of your choice of cowboy duds and of course, the stache.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think somegoony better post a link to the spoiler thread at the top of every page...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Maaaaaaaan. I'm so boring, I never grow a dope horseshoe mustache or goatee or a mutton chops beard.

I just shave it down to a five o'clock and then when it grows out into a beard or when a chapter change happens, I just shave it down again.

Maybe I'll grow some cowboy balls in a few chapters and try something different.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fart City posted:

What store sells this tonic

Hair Pomade from the General Store.

If you mean which tonic grows cowboy balls? It's called Whiskey.

Section Z posted:

You are simply biding your time until the game allows you to grow a maximum beard. Your instincts know that half a beard is no beard at all.

Why, I reckon you are probably right about that. I'd be a fool to grow a half beard like some drat O'Driscoll.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I bathed once when I first started playing the game. I only eat when I’m near death. I never sleep.

That’s also what I do in the game and it’s been fine.

Arthur must look like a loving twitchy haggard wreck in your game when he's standing idle.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I love the unique bullet flingers you get from the gunslinger quests.

I don't think I'm ever going to use a different pair of guns when I dual wield.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

My only disappointment is that (probably due to when that quest becomes available) none of the gunslinger weapons are all that great or cool. I feel like had they put that quest more toward the mid/latter section of the game they might have actually made them unique/powerful in some way other than just recolored models.

Everything feels powerful if you aim for the head.

Also, I'll concede that using a Mauser and a Revolver isn't the best two pistol combo since you run out of rounds in one way before the other.

Still baller.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

RDR1 online was pretty fun, from what I remember in the short time I played it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PancakeTransmission posted:

I guess when you ask to shoot her picture? I wish I had thought of that now in my evil playthrough.

Oh wow. That would be so scumbag. Yet, perfect.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I've done a cursory google but is there any loving way to change the HUD size? I can't see those tiny rear end icons with my terrible eyes :(

One might flash red and all I can do is say "Cool." cause I have no loving clue what it does.

Other than the three radar options you get when you hold down on the d-pad, not really.

You could download the RDR2 app for your phone or tablet and use that instead and then just have it close to your face?

DrNutt posted:

Overheard in camp: Ms. Grimshaw telling Mary Beth that her youthful glow will fade and she'll get old, despite the fact that she herself, the old lady of the camp, has marble smooth skin and a rocking set of cans.

I overheard some dude in camp compliment Miss Grimshaw on how she must have been a real looker in her day and then when she thanked him, he proceeded to let her know how that's certainly no longer the case in the most awkward way possible.

So, she gets hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Someone on Reddit recorded what happens if you piss off your camp too much.

Also cool is that everyone's responses to Antagonize are contextual with what you've been saying just beforehand.

This rules.

This drools.

In his defense, there's a lot of things you can do in RDR2 and punch a lot of different kinds of people so while pretty dumb, it likely wasn't his intention to make a video that would directly appeal to the worst kinds of gamers on the planet.