Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the gunslinger biographer mission, is anything supposed to happen once you get all 4 pictures? Do I need to take them back to him? I went to the saloon where we met and he's not there.

Sorry if the spoilers are unneeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FallenGod posted:

Same, I assume they pop back up later since I haven't progressed the story much.

Also I wish I'd picked up the weapons that dropped from those people, but I didn't want to lose my upgraded guns. At least this thread taught me that you can always get guns you own back from your horse and since it's so early in the game they probably weren't that good anyhow.

I read somewhere that those weapons stay there until you get them and will even be marked on your map. Not sure if true, I picked them up at the time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

just think of the horse as more like a sentient car that poops, that way using buttons to slow it down makes more sense

I've had many bounties placed on me because I jump on my horse and think "make car go" and mash the right trigger, firing off a shot at nothing in particular.

To enjoy this game you have to surrender to the pace. Nothing happens quickly. If that's not your jam, and you can't give yourself to it, then go play Spider-Man, it was pretty dope.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure I've killed more people accidentally in this game than I have on purpose. Dumb asses see a man barreling toward them on a horse and don't get out of the way.

And holy poo poo are shotgun deaths gruesome. Came across a couple of chain-gang convicts just as they were killing their overseers, so I figure the good thing to do is to kill them. Took the first one's head clean off. After he was dead, I shot him again just to see what would happen, blew off his arm. I'm used to previous R* games where most dead bodies look the same. Don't remember any decapitation/dismemberment.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In my defense I assumed the benefits of playing as a good guy were pretty great. But apparently, like in real life, it’s only marginal. Lesson learned.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kalsco posted:

Well that blows. I guess it counted toward gold mission completion, because I really truly and deeply care about that (lmao)?? Game poo poo -10/10.

I went in the back of the house, start searching through a drawer in that room, and all of a sudden the dude is standing behind me like what the gently caress are you doing. So I kill him then took my time looting the house and stole the wagon. The fence mentioned it later and my guy was like yeah poo poo happens.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So can someone tell me how to do the duel thing? I can never read the instructional text before I get killed. so I end up just firing as quickly as I can which has worked so far but there has to be a better way. Something about slowly squeezing the trigger, but the times I've done that I get killed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I shot a chipmunk from probably 50 yards away while riding my horse. Yeah I’m a badass.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lord Hydronium posted:

The random events repeating can be kind of funny. I had the one with the lady from Emerald Ranch whose horse died, and it's like, another one? She either has the worst luck or this is the weirdest scam.

I also killed the guy who challenges you to a shooting contest when I lost, and now he's back from the dead and wants a rematch.

I'm glad that guy comes back. The first time I encountered him I accidentally fell on top of him with my horse and he got pissed so I had to kill him with extreme malice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I drank 6 bottles of whiskey in a row at the first party hoping I would eventually pass out but instead seemed to stay the same level of drunk as I was after the first bottle.

He does sing better when he's drunk, though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw a guy camped out by the river. Went down to say hi. He starts yelling at me to go away. Trying to keep my honor up, but he was being rude, so I decide to lasso him and rob him. As I'm hog-tying him, I accidentally rolled him into his campfire. Whoops.

Took his provisions because he didn't need them now anyway.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hugh Malone posted:

spoilers y'all, dangit

now I know there's a new York guy and confederates my game is RUINED

jk, chap.2 spoiler here

I just finished the mission where you steal a cart from Cornwall oil. all last night I scoped the place out, and made several stealth attempts at stealing the wagon to no avail.

then I tried full on rampage, and there were so many dudes and so little cover that I failed a few times, miserably

this morning I say gently caress it, hop a fence by a cart, ride out, and they didn't notice til I was at the gate. drove outta there, no bounty, no chase, and I didn't fire a shot lol

After dying several time trying to take it from the refinery I realized the cart drives a route. Just wait by the road for it to leave the refinery and come by. Just rode up to it and jumped on. Never fired a shot

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can someone report the chart that said what weapons/ammo need to be used on which animals for perfect pelts? I’m one shot killing 3 star animals but it’s turning them into 1 Star pelts.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Managed to lock up the game by greeting too many people in a small area. Just a constant stream of “Hey Mister.” Don’t think It did poo poo for my honor either.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any idea when the better repeater rifles open up? I’ve been ducking around I chapter two for a several days so maybe I’m not far enough for it yet. I haven’t seen anyone drop a decent rifle yet. I also have the outlaw survival kit but it doesn’t seem to have given me any guns?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw a girl crouched in the bayou like the chick from The Ring or something. Tried to help her, her buddies insta killed me. What was I supposed to do here?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

Shoot her in the face

The answer to all of life’s problems

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My war horse turned into a Tennessee walker. No idea how. Same name. Different horse. Kinda pissed about it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

This happened to me last night. Just keep reloading, and it kinda fixed itself.

I’m probably boned then I just kept playing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I missed a 3* red fox because I didn’t have a repeater on me.

Did you start screaming “Its the big one!”

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bathed once when I first started playing the game. I only eat when I’m near death. I never sleep.

That’s also what I do in the game and it’s been fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just assume the wolves are trying to get to all the dead squirrels, rats and chipmunks I inexplicably keep in my satchel.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I talked to the foreman at the logging operation but I got interrupted while he was talking and I'm not sure what he wants to buy from me. Looks like I can sell him a bunch of stuff but it seems like there's a goal or something and I'm not sure what to do. I sold him a can of beans and he thanked me. Then I raided all their tents and stole their food.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't track 3 star animals, I chase them on horseback.

Try to get nice and close for the kill shot.

Wait why is that deer slowing down.

No don't dart in front of me.

Anyone want a trampled one star deer pelt?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t mind me just crafting a few hundred split point bullets.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaa Boogie posted:

I ran into a random Lemoyne Raiders camp with a mix of old and new fellers. They were talking about how things haven't changed since '65. Then an old dude started talking about how hard the war was then when they were besieged by cannon fire. Then when he was knocked senseless by a close shot he managed to kill a group of Union soldiers with his bare hands because their gunpowder got too damp. It was an interesting story...

... which is why I decided to help them relive the good 'ol days with an opening volley of dynamite!

Arthur's quip of "Guess you can add this to your war stories!" when the fight was done was just the icing needed. This game rules.

I came across an O'Driscoll camp and they yelled at me to get away from their camp so after I killed all of them Arthur says "Guess it's my camp now" which just made laugh and laugh.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My only complaint about the game is I kill a lot people accidentally but I was never a cowboy in the 1800’s so maybe a lack of OSHA meant that’s an accurate portrayal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaa Boogie posted:

I don't think I've ever had to surrender to get rid of a bounty. I just paid it off. Then again, 99% of the bounties I've gotten are from story missions. Most else I've done the most I've gotten was investigations that I got myself away from.

You don't have to, sure, but if you get rid of all your money and surrender the bounty clears and all you have to endure is a cut scene.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brain Curry posted:

I find the hardest part is using RS enough to keep them from pulling too much line out when they struggle, but not so much that the line snaps.

I don't use RS at all when they're struggling. Just pull the opposite direction with LS until they calm down, then start reeling again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brain Curry posted:

Legendary fish will pull the line when they struggle. You can hear the reel unwinding.

I don't have any legendary yet, I just know the tool tip says to use the left stick when they're pulling line to keep them from pulling out too much.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure I beat the gun slingers by just mashing right trigger over and over.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where are you supposed to shoot a snake? I killed a 3 star rattler with a small game arrow, first shot, and got a 1 star skin for my troubles.

edit: Also where is this rare rolling block rifle I keep hearing about?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's in a mission in ch3 where you rescue Josiah Trelawny. You can pick it up from some goon in a barn. It has a yellow gun icon on the minimap as opposed to being white like other weapons you can pick up.

Awesome, I just got to Chapter 3. This best thing I can say about this game is that I will play it for hours and enjoy myself but if you ask me what I did I will have no idea. "Rode around. Shot some animals. Helped some folk. Said 'Hi Mister' to a lot of people."

I had a convict want me to shoot his shackles off, so at the advice of this thread I did. Then hogtied him and took him to the sheriff. Got a nice reward for my efforts. On the way out of town, saw them about to hang someone at the gallows, maybe a bounty I brought in? He asked for my help. Tried to free him by shooting the rope, which seemed to kill him instead and a dozen lawmen were on my rear end right away. Ended up dead with a $200 bounty. Any idea what I was supposed to do there? Because I think I *may* have hosed it up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nolgthorn posted:

My instinct would have told me to shoot the rope too, are you sure you didn't hit him? Otherwise, perhaps shoot the executioner and all the lawmen and everything.

Positive. I dead-eyed the rope well above his head. He hadn't been dropped yet, and when I shot the rope it def broke the rope because he just crumbled to platform. Damnedest thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need another war horse since mine evolved into a Tennessee walker. I can’t tell if it has the same stats as the war horse or not. Seems pretty rugged.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any idea what I was supposed to do with the eugenicist in St. Denis? I ended up feeding him to alligators but it was a little anticlimactic.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

If you go to the game completion list in the progress menu there's a section called "ranters ravers and lunatics" or something like that, pretty sure he qualifies. It's just flavor basically, although it's nice that I was able to beat him to death in the street and no one seemed to care. Less nice that he apparently comes back.

As I was riding out of town with him hogtied on my horse, I pass a black cowboy who sees it and says "I'm not getting involved with that." Which I'm sure is a generic response but it made me laugh in context.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I still throw $20 in the box every time I'm in camp. It feels good and it offsets some of the honor loss from the random robberies and violence.

I need to remember to do that more. Was cutting through a yard in St. Denis yesterday and someone witnessed me trespassing. I tried to stop him and well long story short I killed about a dozen cops before finally being dropped myself. Could use some good karma.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

I think the making GBS threads is tied to feeding your horse so if you feed it more it shits more. Seems to be the case for me anyways.

Yes but what about your horse in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I picked up some wireless headphones for use with the game on my xbone. They support the microsoft surround stuff, so I have selected that in the xbox settings. What should I select in the game settings, headphones or surround?