Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CoolCab posted:

what? lol when I was living in Iqaluit 20 years ago 4L of milk was 14 loving dollars. I understand some subsidies got cut and now a cabbage sells for $28.

air freight is loving expensive!

Yeah but think of the electricity you save by not needing a freezer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Plus how would you pay for things?
Apparently penguins pay for things with pretty rocks, that's an economic activity.

What they seem to pay for most with rocks is sex with penguins though, which might get you kicked off base a few months before the boat arrives.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I think because you actually live on the base you get your room and board supplied for you. There's no economy on the south pole that I'm aware of though they probably have an overpriced tuck shop.

Plus how would you pay for things? Satellite phone chip and pin?

They operate on the fish standard.

Its 3 hagfish to a cod.

vvv Sounds like that can be solved by some overengineered mechanism where you heat the stilts to allow them to be retracted upwards and then raise the station on them.

namesake fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 1, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Amundsen-scott is specifically on the south pole and has a number of logistical issues that make it a bit more removed than anywhere in Canada.

Not least that everything there gets steadily buried by the snow because it snows but never thaws. They had to keep rebuilding the station because the old ones ended up underground. The current one is on flying stilts, and is designed so that you can put another bit of stilt on the top, then jack the entire station up another storey when the snow gets too high.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

OwlFancier posted:

Amundsen-scott is specifically on the south pole and has a number of logistical issues that make it a bit more removed than anywhere in Canada.

Not least that everything there gets steadily buried by the snow because it snows but never thaws. They had to keep rebuilding the station because the old ones ended up underground. The current one is on flying stilts, and is designed so that you can put another bit of stilt on the top, then jack the entire station up another storey when the snow gets too high.

wikipedia posted:

An annual tradition is a back-to-back viewing of The Thing from Another World (1951), The Thing (1982), and The Thing (2011) after the last flight has left for the winter.[24]

that owns

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

CoolCab posted:

what? lol when I was living in Iqaluit 20 years ago 4L of milk was 14 loving dollars. I understand some subsidies got cut and now a cabbage sells for $28.

Is there an interesting story behind you ending up in Iqaluit? It's not exactly the first place most people think of moving.

OwlFancier posted:

If you go to the south pole definitely watch The Thing before you go, and take a copy of At The Mountains of Madness with you as well.
I have a friend who works at one of the other Antarctic bases and they have an annual showing of The Thing at the start of the season.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There was one of those Brexitometer whiteboards in town today, the ones where people indicate whether or not they think Brexit is going well by putting stickers in columns. As I was doing the needful ('No', in case you were wondering) and chatting to one of the organisers about the logistics of acquiring and storing 16,000 sticky stars, an elderly chap in a motorised scooter puttered up and declared Brexit to be 'Excellent'.

My town was overwhelmingly pro-Leave, but he was only the third person to put a sticky star in the Yes box.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

big scary monsters posted:

Is there an interesting story behind you ending up in Iqaluit? It's not exactly the first place most people think of moving.

my mom was a social worker, plenty of work up there (unfortunately) for amazing pay. i lived there for pretty much all of my teens.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
how many were in the "it's poo poo" box?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guavanaut posted:

Doesn't that now mean "fascist who does buttcoin/gab/whatever"?

Well words can have multiple meanings under ur fascism

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

XMNN posted:

how many were in the "it's poo poo" box?

Couple of dozen at least.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Wasn't there a thing a while back that one of the scientists down there had cancer and they had to airdrop chemo drugs to them in the middle of the night?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Middle of the night is a long time down there because the day is literally a year long.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

So is all the water on earth going to eventually end up down there or what's going on? Something has to be going back somewhere

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

So is all the water on earth going to eventually end up down there or what's going on? Something has to be going back somewhere

It snows but doesn't melt, it does however get blown around a lot, most of the snow is evacuated by wind and the new base is actually designed to funnel the wind under it to blow the snow clear.

The problem is that if you build anything on the snow, the wind constantly piles snow up against it and buries it. So any permanent structure is going to collect snow and eventually end up buried unless you keep clearing it or build it on stilts.

So when they built a cool space dome in the 70's to house the base, it ended up buried and actually cracked the foundation after a couple decades, hence the need for the replacement.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wasn't there a thing a while back that one of the scientists down there had cancer and they had to airdrop chemo drugs to them in the middle of the night?

Yeah, they airdropped in testing equipment to confirm if she had breast cancer, as well as the initial stages of treatment if she did. She did her own biopsy, then did some self-surgery as well as part of her treatment.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, they airdropped in testing equipment to confirm if she had breast cancer, as well as the initial stages of treatment if she did. She did her own biopsy, then did some self-surgery as well as part of her treatment.

That is loving hardcore.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

:black101:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/emilydugan/status/1035497076480765953
So if your immigration case goes viral, officials are authorised to act outside the rules and just grant you a visa/citizenship/etc. within 24 hours. If you're unlucky enough to not get publicity, then you get hosed.

A tacit acknowledgement that the decision-making process is hosed and even the British public would be horrified if they treated these 'high profile' cases like they do everyone else.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CoolCab posted:

I knew a guy who was a sysadmin at the British Antarctic Survey there for a winter. He basically got given a section of a freight container and told to pack it with his needs for the next six months (mostly booze). Walmart or whoever aren't flying food to the Antarctic in planes to sell in supermarkets; you can't even fly people in the worst of winter. There are only a few dozen people down there and they're getting rations like it's the military, it's not like you can pop down to your local Tesco for a pint of milk.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I watched a documentary about Antarctic research station a while back. I don't think it was amundsen-scott but the one they focused on looked very very nice inside and they even employed an elite chef to make amazing food to keep spirits up. It was fascinating to watch because this guy was obviously working with new deliveries only once every couple of months and a high probability of goods getting damaged in transit or getting delayed, so he was making near Michelin quality meals with 90% tinned/packaged food and a severely limited number of ingredients. Apparently it's a blast when the deliveries do arrive because they have fresh veggies etc for a week or two, and the booze gets restocked.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/emilydugan/status/1035497076480765953
So if your immigration case goes viral, officials are authorised to act outside the rules and just grant you a visa/citizenship/etc. within 24 hours. If you're unlucky enough to not get publicity, then you get hosed.

A tacit acknowledgement that the decision-making process is hosed and even the British public would be horrified if they treated these 'high profile' cases like they do everyone else.

Well organisations like Amnesty International always knew that the rules in despotic regimes were there to be bent by bad media coverage. I suppose this is a tacit admission that is what we are.

It is clear what our duty as clicktivists is...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

People were saying a while back that the country needs one of those who-wants-to-be-a-celebrity things for BAME communities, and a finger on the cursed paw they keep in a jar at the Home Office curled up.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Barry Foster posted:

There was a really good youtube video on this, but I'm phone posting. You're probably already referencing it but I'll try and find the link

Edit - it's Lindsay Ellis
https://youtu.be/62cPPSyoQkE

Excellent video and presenter. Thanks.
Have also added Hannah Arendt books to amazon wishlist. Not heard of her before. "Banality of evil" - I might have heard that expression before, but never knew the origins.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

ThomasPaine posted:

I watched a documentary about Antarctic research station a while back. I don't think it was amundsen-scott but the one they focused on looked very very nice inside and they even employed an elite chef to make amazing food to keep spirits up. It was fascinating to watch because this guy was obviously working with new deliveries only once every couple of months and a high probability of goods getting damaged in transit or getting delayed, so he was making near Michelin quality meals with 90% tinned/packaged food and a severely limited number of ingredients. Apparently it's a blast when the deliveries do arrive because they have fresh veggies etc for a week or two, and the booze gets restocked.

Was that the Halley VI? It's the one built on an ice shelf and is raised on legs with skis so the entire thing can be moved. There was a BBC4 documentary about it earlier this year. Thanks to global warming it's been abandoned this winter and the entire ice shelf might be breaking off.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have also added Hannah Arendt books to amazon wishlist. Not heard of her before. "Banality of evil" - I might have heard that expression before, but never knew the origins.

Lindsay rules

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah I'm not Khan's biggest fan but he's played this one absolutely perfectly. The one thing these types* is always vulnerable to is gentle mockery, because their self-image as brave warriors fighting the good fight has no defence against it.

* I feel like we need a new term for this particular type of alt-right person, who hides their far-right views much more thoroughly than the mainstream American alt-right types. Or maybe we just keep the alt-right tag for them and call the ones literally screaming in the street about Jews what they are, loving fash. Yes I'm aware the alt-right types are *all* fash but it's easier when talking to those who haven't looked into it to have a division between the nice polite young chap who's suddenly deeply concerned about a Rudyard Kipling poem and the street-fighting types.

The 'Fault-Right'

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

If you go to the south pole definitely watch The Thing before you go, and take a copy of At The Mountains of Madness with you as well.

The Thing is great but how has there been so much south pole chat without anyone mentioning the brilliant documentary* Encounters at the End of the World?

* well it's Werner Herzog, so more "documentary"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't London fairly safe as big cities go anyway?

London is ridiculously safe as far as big cities go, yes. The murder stats aren't really high either - the tabloids are just extrapolating localised highs in a wrong way and they make it look high when it's really not.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pochoclo posted:

London is ridiculously safe as far as big cities go, yes. The murder stats aren't really high either - the tabloids are just extrapolating localised highs in a wrong way and they make it look high when it's really not.

Tabloids being disingenuous about crime statistics, you say? :eek:

Also it may have been another forum but I'm pretty sure it was in A/T, a few years ago some goon did a long thread about working at Scott-Amundsen. Must be deeper in the archives than a frozen mi-go by now, though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

It's one of those weird things where because the murder rate is so remarkably low for a major city, any cluster of deaths tends to be reported on massively giving people the impression that it's much more dangerous than it is. See also cyclist deaths, which have been constantly falling for decades in London, but two clusters of deaths either side of the buildout of the superhighway system led to the perception that cycling is much more dangerous than it is.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Banality of Evil (Eichmann in Jerusalem is the official title) is mostly Arendt reporting on Eichmann's trial in Israel. Still a good read.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

ToryFest looking good this year

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1035815533558542336?s=19

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lol at the double Toploader action, I'm happy to have a justification for sending them to the wall (other than their music of course)

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:laffo:

No seriously, go get yourself checked out mate. Median salary in the Civil Service is £3k less than the national median, and £50k is in the 90th percentile for a civil servant. Also they've been capped to 1% pay rises for 8 years and have lost the defined benefits pension, and huge chunks of them have seen their jobs outsourced.

Like I say, late 90s/early 00s was the last time civil service pay was even on par with private sector, it's been slipping ever since.

the beauty of the civil service (apart from working with great people from all walks of life for the betterment of the UK) is you can move jobs as much as you like. personally I spent about a year at each grade before applying on promotion to the next one up in a different dept. conversely I have friends who have worked their way up in the same directorate of the same dept! others have spent time abroad in washington. its the career that puts you in control

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Breath Ray posted:

the beauty of the civil service (apart from working with great people from all walks of life for the betterment of the UK) is you can move jobs as much as you like. personally I spent about a year at each grade before applying on promotion to the next one up in a different dept. conversely I have friends who have worked their way up in the same directorate of the same dept! others have spent time abroad in washington. its the career that puts you in control

And enabling the social injustices and human rights abuses of our Tory government is just a bonus!

A double dose of Toploader is exactly what Tories deserve tbh

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

And enabling the social injustices and human rights abuses of our Tory government is just a bonus!

you'd be surprised how much scope there is to influence ministers. its all part of being an impartial and objective professional. some call us heroes, but to me its just another working day

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh my god HedgesFest is real!

Except what's Jay Foreman doing in that lineup?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh my god HedgesFest is real!

Except what's Jay Foreman doing in that lineup?

Being paid, presumably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Are we talking

or