Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wife and I got our Ikon passes today. :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Fifty Three posted:

I wonder what kind of year western PA is gonna ha- ahahahahah :suicide:

I may not even bother renting skis for the season this year.

I remember the first time I went back to Seven Springs after skiing out west.

I haven't been back to Seven Springs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’s a good point. I’m one of those people currently since I have to travel by plane to ski. I think the best place people mentioned near where I’ll be at Peek’n Peak, which has 25 runs and some blacks. I think someone also mentioned Holiday Valley if I want to drive a little further. Definitely better than nothing. Where do you ski from NJ?

Holiday Valley is ok, and has a neat town associated with it. Definitely a bit larger than most east coast skiing areas.

Anyone have any particular suggestions for places to ski that are in the eastern PA area?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 3, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Holy poo poo, squaw got 17 inches yesterday, 29 inches today. :stare:

Can't wait till I go next week.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Going to Squaw this week, if TSA allows it.

It's my first time there. What should I know/where should I go?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Do you want to ski greens? Take the funitel up and lap the few green runs there.

Do you want to ski blues? I’d recommend checking out Alpine Meadows. It’s a separate resort that squaw bought a few years ago, so you can ski both on the same lift ticket. They run free shuttles all day, and it takes about 15 mins to go from one to the other. Alpine is smaller and chiller, generally less crowded, and IMO has as good if not better intermediate terrain than Squaw.

Do you want to ski blacks? Run laps on KT, Headwall and Granite Chief at Squaw.

If you’re renting stuff I’d get it outside the village for better prices. Tahoe Dave’s is pretty good and has a location right at the entrance to squaw. The village does have a decent grocery store, except it doesn’t have much in way of produce. The restaurants are pretty mediocre, but good enough if you’re just after bar food.

Have fun, hopefully the lifts aren’t too impacted by the storms rolling in.

Thanks man. We're pretty open to blue/blacks, other than my wife doesn't like glades too much.

Storms? Maybe some fresh powder?

Edit: hahahahahaha multiple feet of new snow. This is gonna be awesome.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 15, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Last year I was in Park City where half the mountain was closed because of too little snow. Now, I'm in squaw where tomorrow the mountain may be closed because of...too much snow!?

gently caress it I'm done trying to ski outside of Colorado.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

My understanding is squaw is pretty notorious to be slow at opening terrain and really 'saving' it for the weekend. Avalanche control and such is real though.

The Glumslinger posted:

Its also like 100 mph winds over the crests, the sierras get super windy during storms

Listen guys I can take the avalanche and uh...100mph winds: I just wanna hit some of that gnar pow ok?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Squaw was a mess today. Got in line for first chair, but it was 1030ish before it was actually clear enough for them to let us on. A few lifts were open, but then closed again at 2pm due to the wind. At least I got to shake some cobwebs off. Snow was heavy concrete too.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 18, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bawfuls posted:

The sneaky private lesson for public rates is the best.

I've found you can get it somewhat frequently if you're above ~advanced intermediate, because people at that skill level are generally happy with where they're at and don't see lessons as worthwhile.

I do this once a season, and have had it work more often than not. I'm unsure how much the instructors hate it. Last Saturday at squaw was a blackout day on ikon, and a lift ticket+ lesson package was only $50 bucks more than the window price. My wife and I essentially got a private instructor for a full day, which would normally be $800 or something ridiculous.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like we’re doing two trips out west this year. First one’s to Vail, second one is to crested butte. I’ve never been to crested butte. What should I expect? Cool town? Good place to ski? Any tips?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dangerllama posted:

It’s awful.

In all seriousness, CB is a really cool town. Are you staying on the mountain, or in town? All of the good restaurants are in town. There is also a really good bagel shop to grab some breakfast before you ski. Secret stash is good pizza. Coal Creek Grille is good for dinner. But there are a bunch of places that are all very good, The Last Steep, etc. Django’s is good but the service is slow as all hell.

The mountain: it’s basically divided into three parts. There is a bunch of beginner/intermediate terrain in the middle. All of the steep stuff is off of either highlift, or the north face. You can see it all on the trail map. Most of that is closed right now, but if you go later in the season it should all be open.

Not sure, my wife's friends rented a big place that's supposed to be pretty nice. How's the skiing? We're going in March so hopefully should see some better snow.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Going to be at Vail Thursday - Sunday. Snow seems like it may be good, but have the crowds still been as crazy as reported a few weeks back?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just getting on my flight home after spending Friday-Sunday skiing at vail. Mornings were kind of rough/hard/icy , so we stuck to the groomers in the morning and were rewarded with some decent spring skiing in the afternoon. Mongolia bowl was great/we spend a bunch of time just lapping high noon. Saturday was a tiny bit crowded but Sunday was dead. We skied a half day and did 23k, 90k for the three days together. :toot:

Crusty butt in two weeks!

Unless I get coronamumps!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Vail last weekend, crested butte next weekend. Corona ain’t stopping me. :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ugh nail in the coffin for my trip to CO this week.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Not an April Fools: RIP Vail capital investments. Also furloughing basically the entire hourly workforce and canceling stock dividends.

What do we think this means for that email we got regarding how they'd be taking care of 19/20 epic pass holders? :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Be glad you haven't purchased a 20/21 pass yet? No one is getting anything back from anyone. I have 4 copper day tickets that I was going to use during spring break when people were visiting. They basically had told me I am SOL (even just transfer them to next year was a no go).

sorry, should have made the sarcasm more obvious.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

HookShot posted:

Seriously though, long-term I wonder if this affects Vail's business a bit more. I saw a lot of complaints from people who had bought their epic passes in November to be able to use them for Spring Break, and they straight-up paid $945 or whatever it was for zero days this year, because all the mountains closed before spring break really started. My bet is a lot of people are going to be much more hesitant to drop $1000 per person on lift tickets in November for a trip that's not until six months later.

If that was the case, I'd definitely be pissed. We only made it out for 4 days (out of a planned 8) this year, so not ideal, but not awful. I did just check how much the local pass was for next year and did it go up? For some reason I thought we paid <$700 last year, especially in the spring?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

HookShot posted:

Did you buy a spring pass last year? Vail set up a 10-day spring pass that was way cheaper since there were so many complaints after they got rid of the old WB unlimited spring pass, but it wasn't a seasons pass.

The local pass is basically the same price, like $1300 or something.

nah epic local. $700.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, if you buy an Epic local pass in the US, you get 10 days at WB?...for $700? Depending on exchange rate, that's almost cheaper than a 10 day Edge Card!

Yeah it's not a "bad deal," as much as spending $700 on a ski pass can be. Window price at Vail is like $209, so even by skiing 4 days there year we came out "ahead." It also gives you access to some places here out East (Epic Local: not local), so it works out fairly well.

For some reason $700 is some psychological barrier to me and $729 seems very expensive. Guess they need the additional revenue to make up for this year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dangerllama posted:

Ikon moving the "cheap" renewal deadline to May 27 and also bumping their renewal discount from $100 to $200 for the full pass, and $50 to $100 for base.

Hrm, this could be good.

spwrozek posted:

I have decided that it is best to hold off for now on a pass. Better to pay an extra $50 in the fall than deal with the mess that we are sure to have.

E: although who knows what a month from now will hold.

Although this is probably the correct move.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah gotta say, looks like Ikon may be the way to go for next year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh man, Epic credit came through. Looks like we're going to get Epic passes again next year.

If the world isn't over.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I had Corona and I think I may have picked it up in Vail.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yuns posted:

I probably won't do it since I'm not planning on travelling much in the 20/21 season but stacking the Epic Pass at $979 with an Ikon Base Pass at $699 is tempting.

I've got hundreds of bucks back on our Epic passes for next year and I'm still not sure whether it'll be worth it at this point.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've always been intrigued by Mt Bohemia, but never actually made it there, even when I lived in Madison for 5 years. It's such a pain on the rear end to get to, and if I'm going to put in that much effort, why not ski out west?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

It is a cool vibe and usually has some great powder. Honestly I would never drive there from further than Houghton unless you know it is going to nuke. It is a real mountain though, with real glades, just don't expect to steep lines. If you are say 6-8 hours away it is worth getting there on a powder weekend, staying at one of the cabins, and just partying.

I see this:

quote:

Vertical 900 ft

and I wonder. But yeah, now I live back east again and :effort:.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

I would not go if you are not close.

Some thing to think about is how often do you actually ski runs over 1000'. Just as an example that is the same vert as 6 chair in Breck. I lap that thing all the time. It is still the midwest though so you also need to consider all that as well.

I just think back to early March where I lapped High Noon like ten times in a day. 1800 feet at a time. :sigh:

LostCosmonaut posted:

While that's true, I have to say being able to lap 3,000 feet at somewhere like Whiteface is pretty dope.

Haven't been to White Face in a while. Is it always icy AF?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elysium posted:

I am banned for life from Seven Springs in PA for going too slow through a slow zone.

I got yelled at for going too fast through a slow zone near the lift. To be fair I was going a bit fast, but I was merely trying to carry enough speed to make it across the flat to the lift without unstrapping, certainly I was in control and not unsafe at any point. So the next time down I go sssssssuuuuuuuuper slow while making sure to catch the hall monitors eye. So they pulled me off the slopes, actually forced me to go to some office, where they threatened to call the cops (for what???) and then told me I was banned for life and don't come back. Which meant nothing to me because it was the last run of the last day of a school ski trip that I would never be going on again.

Mike?

Edit: pass talk: wife and I can get epic local passes for a bit over $300 off, so $420. I’m still not sure if it’s worth it. We live in South East PA, so maybe we can try to go up to Stowe if Colorado doesn’t work out? Theoretically I also have an in-person conference in park city in March that they’re claiming will be in person.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 28, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moey posted:

3rd'ing that Beaver Creek kicks rear end.

I don't get it. Even if it is crowded parking on a weekend, the mountain is always empty. It's like people just go there to take some Instagram photos with their skis and hot chocolate and don't actually hit the mountain.

I always assumed it was because people just get sick of driving and stop at Breck/Vail.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ended up buying an Epic Local pass for me/my wife. The passes end up being $420 each (lol) with the discount, so it was hard to pass that up.

Worst case I guess we'll ski at Stowe for a week?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yuns posted:

Philly is definitely more aggro than NJ but there is no ski resort that close to Philly to draw a huge Philly crowd. Maybe Blue, JFBB or Shawnee?

As a Philly area skier, are any Philly area resorts worth making it out to? I was thinking of trying blue mountain last year, but I don’t think they ever really got snow.

Bought an epic pass this year. :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kalman posted:

Roundtop is about 2 hours from you and on Epic. It’s small but the Snowtime (Roundtop/Whitetail/Liberty) resorts are pretty well run and as long as you don’t go expecting a western resort they’re fun.

http://www.dcski.com/resorts/#Pennsylvania has a list of PA resorts, can click through and see which ones are where and get basic stats. (They used to have a map but that appears to have died.)

Thanks for the Roundtop suggestion. I wasn't sure how the southern PA resorts were since they're...south. Good to hear they're run well.

Yuns posted:

Sorry I don't ride PA. I stick to NJ/NY/VT/NH and Quebec mostly. My friends who do ride in PA are mostly snowboarders who mostly care about terrain parks and ride at Blue and JFBB so not sure that would be the best fit.

FWIW, I've heard Blue Mountain is "okay." Maybe we'll get snow out east this year? Maybe we'll try to head out west this year, but who knows what the situation's going to be like. I'm not super hopeful.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So my wife and I have our vaccines and are thinking about making 1-2 trips out to Colorado this year to try to go skiing. If we try to do a few long weekends at Epic resorts, are lines still a mess everywhere? Has anyone been out to beaver creek yet?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have been checking their app and it doesn't look too bad. I think if you have a pass or account you can download their app and look at lift line times. That being said the app is really buggy and crashes a lot, and they seemed to have removed a lot of the cameras that look at lift lines. I am planning a trip to Beaver Creek myself, and have been checking, and it doesn't look so bad.

Partial Octopus posted:

They lines are ok during the week. I wouldn't go on the weekend. I think the main issue is that we still don't have any snow and half of the trails are closed so everyone is kind of clumped together.

Oh duh, forgot I could check the app even though I'm not there :downs:. BC lines didn't look too bad, at least on the app! Heck, even Vail seemed almost manageable apart from the main gondolas?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

HookShot posted:

I saw my first microwave jacket in the village today!!

I feel these have been a thing for a few years now, no?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We got our shots and booked a trip to Vail for mid February. :toot:

Edit: crested butte or park city for a 3-4 day trip in March? Never been to butt. Last time I skied park city the snow was poo poo.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 3, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moot .1415926535 posted:

How was the recoil from the shot? Just had a patroller buddy say it put him down for two days with a nasty headache.

I got it last week and really had no symptoms other than a sore arm for a few days, kind of like getting a flu shot. I've had a headache the last two days but who knows if that's related. :shrug:

My wife is getting her second dose this week and that's supposed to be a bit worse, so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone have ski bibs they like? Mine have these crappy velcro attachments for the elastic which keeps on coming loose.

edit:

Yuns posted:

I once tried to cross the frozen Charles River to Boston to get to Buzzy's Roast Beef back when i was an MIT student. In my defense I was drunk as hell and it had been sub 20 for more than 3 weeks. Still went for a chilly swim.

Sitting in my car now warming up after doing COVID check in screening for the race team. We had some more late sign ups so the team is still growing to my surprise.

What course were you etc etc.

I spent enough time on the river to never want to cross it in the winter.