Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Not anything great, but not as lame as I thought it would be either.
It's pretty good other one hideous jokey scene. They managed to make a very good PG-13 Saw knockoff and hosed around rather than wrapping it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Absolutely. The moment I realized the needless ex-boyfriend subplot was going to payoff I was completely in on that absurd trainwreck.

The Prodigy is not good. Lots of jump scares and some creepy kid stuff. It's not terrible but it's not something I'd recommend for Bad Movie Night.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also

It's kind of a reverse The Sacrament, where knowing about the actual case doesn't make the movie worse
Clovehitch is really well directed. Sadly it doesn't use BTK's brilliant "Dear Police, If I send you a Word Document on a floppy you can't trace it, right? YOU HAVE TO TELL THE TRUTH!!!" letter.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 :colbert:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I got Paul W.S. Anderson so you know that movie is going to be good.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Us is really drat good. I think it could use another pass from an editor to tweak the pacing but it's got some great ideas and there's nothing in the world that Lupita Nyong'o can't do. The kids are outstanding as well and the soundtrack is perfect.
I would say it needs somebody to chop 10-20 minutes but yeah it's very good. It's too ambitious and didn't really stick the landing imo. The third act isn't bad but I loved the mysterious home invasion movie more than any explanation. He absolutely succeeded in making better/more horror than Get Out but I still think he's a great director and a writer with strange views on story structure.

e: The new Critters is up on Shudder. There are as many good gags as Syfy Original groans but I think it's mostly good. The puppet work is nice but comes with inconsistent CGI gore where you get a bad digital gusher shot followed by practical blood and guts on the ground.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 22, 2019

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

Sitting through the Critters series on Shudder. First off, really not happy with how long the episodes are. They're like 10 min long so it comes across like they did the work for a couple episodes and decided to chop them up to make it feel like a season.
I don't dislike the "short-form series" concept but it feels very odd for a subscription service loaded with full-length movies and most notably even longer versions hosted by Joe Bob. My biggest complaint is that the Roku app doesn't immediately jump to the next episode when the credits roll. Just cut a 90 minute movie. This isn't high art or something really bending the format. I think it's a novel idea for youtube and it's weird they don't give away the full episode 1 of Critters or Deadwax as a teaser.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

does anyone know what happened to Shudder's plans to launch in Aus? last i heard was a launch date of 2018, and radio silence since then. i hope it is still happenin
https://twitter.com/craigengler/status/1092167842483580928
Shudder GM

They are pretty good about "Soon!" announcements when it comes to movie/show release dates but this could fall into the abyss like the PS4 app.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nroo posted:

The Elevated Horror discourse inspired bad takes on the opposite end of the "acclaimed horror is a different genre" mindset as well https://twitter.com/YannickLeJacq/status/1110407631674314752?s=09
I strongly believe this happens in marketing but wouldn't plant my flag in Us as an example of something made for people who don't like horror. Even Hereditary has plenty of stuff horror fans enjoyed. It's just long and deliberately uneven.

Twilight Zone 2019 is an abomination.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Posted this in the Who Greenlighted thread last night, but The Intruder was stupid fun. It's not quite Book of Henry level crazy like I'd seen some people claiming, but Dennis Quaid plays a full-on psychopath in it, which leads to a lot of hilarious moments.

I guess it's technically more of a thriller, but it has horror moments in it for sure.

I've seen some people say Dennis Quaid plays an aging Joker in it and that's pretty spot on :lol:
It's a good time and worth a stream/rental/A-List slot. This is a Lifetime Movie with a better cast and the ability to show some blood. That's a good pitch! The movie lives on Quaid's performance but Michael Ealy is a great fit as the spouse who sees through the predatory "friend" but is also kind of a jerk.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Brightburn is mostly good. It's in the critical zone for good movies with a lot of problems with rather than the forgiveness zone for bad movies that are still fun. It's easily the 2nd best horror movie of the year unless you really love crazy Dennis Quaid. The CGI blood is bad but the action causing to the gore is good and brutal.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Ma is a good time. The teens are so much much better than the average cast in a One Crazy Person movie.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Phantom of the Paradise is on Shudder this month. It is incredible. A Brian De Palma horror musical scored by the Muppet Movie guy and co-starring the lead from Suspiria.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9yof8cwli4

...and the rest
https://twitter.com/Shudder/status/1134521620318629889

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

gently caress, if that's the 2014 Viy, it is loving TERRIBLE

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Gejimayu posted:

Which Hostel movie has the kids kicking the guys head around like a soccer ball? I liked that scene.
That's 2. I rewatched in March. It's slower than it needs to be but it's fun once everything explodes.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Narzack posted:

Do I need to rewatch both or just the second one?
Not really. I think the first is a slog but haven't seen in in a decade.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MMT is a fun movie. Watch it.

The Dead Don't Die is extremely ok. It could use another round of punch-up because the foundation of a much better movie is there. The movie has very little interest in gore movie which is a real shame.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

So I recently started working overnight shifts and now to sufficiently creep myself out I'm looking for recommendations for movies about overnight workers and shifts.

I'm familiar with Graveyard shift and Nightwatch (1997). I think they're also working after hours in Return Of The Living Dead?
It's not a classic but The Possession of Hannah Grace is about a woman's first graveyard shift at the morgue.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Child's Play remake almost works as a farce. It's not horrible but it's not worth more than a stream.

Simon Barrett is out of his loving mind.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If you're going to vouch for the movie at least call it by the full and most appealing name, House 2: The Second Story

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I only watched Henry for the historical A/V tech scenes.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Abominable Dr Phibes is top camp.
Hausu has a Scooby-Doo vibe but is very Japanese and strange.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Goth crushes are boring. Sexy evil crushes are hilarious because kids only fully understand the evil half. One of the funnier tangents in Horror Noire is Rachel True talking about her confused childhood feelings toward Blacula. Shout out to Zuul from Ghostbusters.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Next month's Shudder schedule is out. Busan and Seoul are good.
https://twitter.com/KillerfromSpace/status/1166772830857334784
Creepshow will be weekly through Halloween.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I said my favorite genre was slasher and also got NOTLD.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You know, the more I think about It chapter 2 the more I think I liked it. It's parts are better than it's whole, kind if like a collection of loosely connected short films of varying quality.

The scene with the little girl and the firefly is the best of these short films, and I'd say it's worth the price of admission.
I'm very down on Chapter Two but agree with this post. The highlight of the series is the opening vignette with Georgie.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

I'll defend Hostel 1 and 2 but that's really the only Roth I can defend (I haven't seen his kids movie though, I hear it was decent?)
The House With A Clock In The Walls is fine if you want some Amblin-type horror for kids and the adult cast is very good. Nothing I need to see again.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Shining re-release is coming to theaters next week. Thursday 9/26 and Tuesday 10/1. Tickets are $5.
Comes with a bonus preview of Doctor Sleep which should be an edited ~7 minute scene.

Fandango listings

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It is a delightful series of insane trash. A jewel thief has to pay off a loan shark by midnight while surviving a failed Jigsaw origin story. Then comes the action sequel that opens with essentially a meat grinder consuming an entire rave.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Not disputing the horror content but Fire Walk With Me is a lot to spring on somebody.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

I think Jack Frost was the first lenticular cover I ever saw on a VHS.

(speaking of Christmas movies)
That came out after the far superior Independence Day cover.
https://gfycat.com/coordinatedposhboa-explosions-earf

Countdown is a ridiculous, trashy good time. It is the PG-13 Final Destination to Escape Room's PG-13 Saw without the hideous ending.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

The Lighthouse was funny, beautiful looking, and at times disturbing, but I'm still feeling it's just good and not great.
Gorgeous movie with great acting. The script is fine. I like it more than The Witch but Eggers' craftsmanship is still outshining the finished product.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Black Christmas is such an unsatisfying slasher it's as if they designed a bomb to kill PG-13 horror. Maybe the unrated release for home video will be enjoyable. R-rated horror is booming and Ready or Not very recently managed to mix politics and splatter. What the gently caress? I hope 13 year olds and squeamish people find something to like about it because they did genre fans dirty on this one.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I like the Purge series, but I hate that they named their prequel movie The First Purge because now whenever I try to talk to people about the series I have to keep clarifying when I'm talking about The First Purge as opposed to when I'm talking about the first Purge movie.

Anyway, The First Purge is an excellent movie, and while the first purge movie is absolutely the weakest of the series (the premise works so much better as action horror movies instead of a "trapped in the house" movie) it has some good moments.
I'd love to read a history on how the first Purge movie developed since everyone not directly involved in making the movie immediately realized a home invasion was a huge waste of an idea.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

BioTech posted:

Nah, I thought it was more of a drama with a few tense moments. Even calling it a thriller is off, imho.
Definitely not horror. Worth a watch, but if you put it on for Horror Night everyone would be perplexed.

I'm at 10 of 33 for Hooptober which started on the 15th.

This is the core of my SA-Challenge list plus whatever garbage is thrown on synctube.
28 Weeks Later
Blood Quantum
Color Out of Space
Cube 2
Dogtooth
Hollow Man
House II
Lifeforce
Nightmare Cinema
Phantasm II
Pontypool
Psycho 2
Scream 2
Spiral (2019)
Splinter
Sugar Hill (1974)
The Beach House
The Lodge
The Rental
The Witch Who Came From the Sea
Trauma (1978)
Verotika
Vivarium

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Popcorn* is for sure the best 2020 discovery but for last October I'll go with The Seventh Curse. Spooky Hong Kong adventure with lots of goop, puppets, and rubber suits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9VY6bSiTho

*Extremely good pick to check off "1 film with a movie theater in it" for Hooptober.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Spatulater bro! posted:

And if you like The Body Snatcher, be sure to watch Bedlam. Karloff as a sadistic mental institution warden.
They make for a great double feature. Neither runs even 80 minutes long. poo poo-stirring Karloff is the best. Wise has some really great shadows in The Body Snatcher and the blu-ray restoration pops. Bedlam will almost certainly air on TCM for people with cable subs.

e: TCM Schedule
No Bedlam and The Body Snatcher doesn't air until 3am November 1st. :iiam:
Almost everything streams in their app (needs a cable login) shortly after airing.

Personal highlights:
10/2
The Haunting

10/12
Creature From The Black Lagoon
Night of the Lepus

10/14
Freaks

10/16
The Raven (1963)
Black Sabbath

10/19
Hammer Dracula
Hammer Frankenstein

10/26
Eyes Without A Face

10/31
Them!

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 25, 2020

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I watched It's Alive on Wednesday and it's shockingly restrained for Larry Cohen. Not enough showing the monster for my taste but there's a great shot in a dark tunnel where the creature pops up as a red police siren hits it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

what's the most universally-loved-by-people-in-the-thread movie and is it FROM BEYOND ?
I'm rooting for Death Spa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Looking forward to seeing The Night House in theaters this weekend
It's kind of a mess. Not bad but that kind of infuriating "You could have been good!" movie that sticks in my craw.
Good psychological drama that's a touch slow for about an hour before going completely off the rails. Calling it ambitious feels too kind but it tries to do way too much.