Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

McSpanky posted:

I took the bait and got into a big discord argument about this earlier today, people literally throwing around dictionary definitions and (obstinately? intentionally?) misunderstanding what an in-production film cut is in order to hold on to their preconceptions that the Snyder Cut was ever real in the first place, so therefore the whole #ReleaseTheSnyderCut movement was founded on a lie. I truly don't get it.

everyone understands how people react to information that conflicts with their worldview - they pivot, rotate, bend, lie, whatever - but it's always fascinating to see. "haha they're not releasing the workprint cut, instead they're releasing a finished version of snyder's vision, wrap it up snydulaires" is one of the weirder takes on a topic i can remember seeing on any pop culture topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

it was for the last evangelion film but imo it works here too

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I took it that MM was grieving too but he couldn't really show up in his Colonel dude disguise and so used Martha's face to do it

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

bushisms.txt posted:

Now that we've seen what's been cut and added, I'm pretty sure we can designate Josstice League as a cinematic hate crime.

it really does feel like someone defacing someone else's work out of spite

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
his name is wolf. darkseid liked telling people to step on wolf to the extent that it became a "nickname" and then a prophecy.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

thrawn527 posted:

Can someone explain what the Anit-Life Equation is to me? Attempts at googling it have left me more confused that before I started.

it seems to vary, but the basic idea is an equation that proves to the reader that life is pointless/meaningless

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

ungulateman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z08z8IfkLh4

the real highlight here is "i miss the danny elfman score", which is a completely buck wild statement even coming from someone who really dislikes zack snyder and the previous films in the series

i don't know, them complaining that the two times Steppenwolf talks to desaad are the same scene, missing the fact that it demonstrates that no matter how much steppy might achieve, they're just going to dunk on him...

kind of ironic

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the other thing is that people assign (for some strange reason) a lot of credibility and authority to ellis. it's one thing to be a random dude on the internet making posts on a forum that should've been put out to pasture years ago. it's another to have a huge public following. like bushisms.txt says, that joke only works if you laugh at 'haha, randian superman guy - of course he hates women!'

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

teagone posted:

I wonder how much copium is being passed around in the GBS RLM thread now that we know the RLM dudes actually liked ZSJL, lmao.

a fair amount lol

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
zack snyder's evangelion, come on guys

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

ugh, I've liked videos from this channel before in the past but this hits all the common tropes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlhklBTkgzI

"Zack Snyder is a Randian libertarian."
"The slow motion has no purpose."
"Zack Snyder didn't get Watchmen."

here's the thing, if someone calls themselves 'just write' and they haven't actually written anything that isn't a bunch of tepid youtube pop culture videos, they're probably not actually very good at (or knowledgable about) writing.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

2house2fly posted:

How in the sweet hell can someone come out of this movie thinking it's right wing

like this

"The problem is that Snyder only believe is a particular type of "unity" that is also false. It isn't unity what he believes, he believes in individualism. Take what JustWrite stated about Cyborg, with that type of technology he probably would do WAY more good working on economics and helping the capitalistic system become more fair. But Snyder, being a Rand-ian-Head, don't believe in caring about people outside his social bubble. The worse still example is Father Kent's quote on how probably it would've been better if Clark hadn't saved a bus full of kids, or the more idiotic scene where he faces a freaking tornado to safe a dog instead of having his All-Powerful adopted son do it for him. Snyder framed it as if Father Kent were sacrificing himself, but to me it just looks like a dumbass decision. You are in a crisis and you decide the best thing to do is to face a tornado? Really? That screams individualism all through it. Superman is the symbol of hope, a hero that would try to save everyone, and Snyder ruined him."

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
my favorite part of that post is the bit where it's like 'superman would save anyone' and misses how superman's dad didn't want him to do it, and superman obeyed his wishes and it haunts him. this is called internal conflict. not randian individualism or whatever the gently caress.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm still confused by the "I tried" guy as up until the Snyder cut I'd assumed he threw that in.

Whedon: I tried [to fix this stupid grimdark movie]

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
that advice is fine. it's just a writing/directing version of 'walk before you can run.' anyone who's hung around hopeful writers knows there's dozens of people who think they'll break the market open with some crazy idea - when they can't write a single compelling chapter. the issue with the advice is that George Lucas is absolutely one of those people who could break from the formula, and did. save the cat is absolutely garbage those, as is just about any book that promises to teach you how to write.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
A mountain of suck it Warner Brothers :allears:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
snydergelion

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
You can talk to a weird bat guy in 2 and the conversation is :yikes he is like "Look we gotta bust heads sometimes if we wanna keep order, this ain't metropolis"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Anyway, the best joke in mass effect is how the third game vindicates Ashley's beliefs that when the chips are down each species only cares about their own

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

it would be nice but then shitposting would be work and you would always worry about inane things like "will this post do numbers?" with a degree of importance because you dont eat otherwise. It would drive you insane.

i did 'online content creation' for a few years and this is pretty much it, yeah. it's really no surprise that people who do it for a while basically end up odd, alcoholic, disturbed, or simply bailing out the moment they can find a decent steady paycheque. it just breaks brains because your post needs to do numbers and the numbers of the next one need to be better and if they're worse, well, is that a sign of the video itself being bad or the beginning of a downward spiral? who knows, you don't know, maybe you should stay up until 3am trying to figure it out and, oops, have to fulfill the grotesque need for parasocial relationships that make up your core fanbase of children and manchildren!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The key part is that Snyder didn't get nor seek any credit for it.

And the fun thing is this all works pretty much exactly the same whether you're trying to get clicks from wokes or nazis or normies, hence why you see somewhat distinct yet disturbingly similar strains of brainworms across the spectrum.

yeah, pretty much. extremism is rewarded. which leads you down one of two paths. "snyder is a body fascist" or "kathleen kennedy will be fired any day now." it sounds crazy to say going back to a 9-5 was the best idea i ever had but it really was. less work hours and a healthier mindset towards work. online discourse is like pollution or radiation, imo. by the time you realize you're sick, it's too late. it took me a year to wean my brain off this constant feeling of 'every second i'm not working on a project or analyzing my metrics is lost revenue.' okay, sure, maybe i'm no longer "living the dream" of making money off my hobbies but now i can actually do my hobbies on my own terms.

anyway haha yeah gangtags, what's the deal?

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 22, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
stop, my invincible son

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
john dies was very much a product of its time and there's an element of outsider art to it that makes it interesting. it hasn't aged well but i still think it's better than any of the other stories wong wrote after it. sure, it's weird and churlish and the overarching narrative arc is... disjointed but the online/permuted press version is way better than the 'polished' version that got released as the hardcover.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do wonder if they're gonna try and double down on denying the Snyderverse or backpedal. Or some incoherent in-between.

gotta be the first option at this stage surely

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

buaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAH the superhero KINGO has always been celebrated for his excellence

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

this poo poo is going to flop hard lmao

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
it took years for the satire of starship troopers to become accepted. i think i recall it being 2007-2008 where people were like 'here's something that'll blow your mind -- SST is satire!'

Chairman Capone posted:

I think Wikipedia and related stuff like Wookieepedia have really played into this. I know with Star Wars I've seen people debate whether character X is accurate to comic Y or video game Z, based entirely on them having read the Wookieepedia entries. I'd be willing to bet a lot of younger Marvel fans are the same way given their enthusiasm over Marvel's latest movie including a cameo from a character who was in a single comic issue back in 1975 or whatever.

this is pretty true. i mean, look at the newest wave of marvel stuff. do you think anyone's been clamoring for a moon knight tv series?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
sometimes i think people are unfamiliar with just how far back people co-opting spartan symbolism goes and seem to think that, like, 300 was responsible

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
steven universe got really weird in the last few seasons so idk it probably wouldn't be the vaccine to fascism

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

josh04 posted:

This was probably an unfair expectation of it all along, really. It's a kid's show about learning to be yourself and accept others, not Homage to Catalonia.

i don't think so. it seems more like a result of some kind of difference in story direction given the sheer amount of stuff that gets jettisoned or retconned from the most, for lack of a better term, revolutionary period to the slapdash ending. probably coming from those writers who got axed or whatever. but the show went from great to meh in a very odd way

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
robin williams wanted to do live-action gendo and, in fact, auditioned for the dub of gendo (but no one has released his audition tape)

imagining we lived in a timeline where we got snyder's evangelion with robin williams' gendo

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

2house2fly posted:

I had a quick look on twitter and evidently Batfleck is now going to survive the events of the Flash movie where previously he was going to die, because the money men now think the Snyderverse might have legs and want to leave the door open

I thought the rumour was that Batfleck was going to end up in the Knightmare vision universe or whatever

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
https://twitter.com/moviedetail/status/1381092928987262978?lang=en

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Lady Radia posted:

big joel is right tho

This is your first post in the thread, go away big joel

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

2house2fly posted:

I've read posts before about Pacific Rim being fascist and kind of got where they were coming from, but lol at an actual fascist saying "yeah that's a fascist film, we love it"

SMG just keeps winning lmao

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
It's an interesting series but from memory the guy keeps throwing weird anti-snyder jabs throughout

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
seeing steppenwolf basically work his butt off also helps the scenes where darkseid's vizier or whatever basically insults him and says he has so much more work to do. it'd make him less sympathetic if he was just, like, following a homing beacon. but i really appreciate how we see steppenwolf do everything and then his first chat with his higher-ups is just them going 'tick tock, 10,000 more worlds, steppenwagie.'

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
me, i got super into eugenics and channelling the codex and i shouting "I WILL FIND HIM." basically, kryptonian superiority. im now locked in the phantom zone. i'd caution anyone who "gets" krypton.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 27, 2022

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Martman posted:

That's fair, and I tried to acknowledge that fact, but also I will admit I'm pretty ignorant of a lot of modern history. My point is, the first time I've ever even heard that term is from Alex Jones's insane poo poo; I understand that he didn't invent the concept of media disinformation, but the particular image of "random lady who was paid to be on TV to do propaganda, even if a cursory journalistic effort should reveal the fraud" is weird to me. Like, is that something that has ever actually happened? Or is it just an exaggerated version of real propaganda.

remember the infamous story leading up to the iraq war, where saddam's soldiers were tearing babies out of incubators and leaving them to die on the hospital floors? a story delivered by a fifteen year old girl? a story that was corroborated by amnesty international? well, it was fake. it even goes along with the cursory journalistic effort thing: the witness 'nayirah' was actually the daughter of kuwaiti ambassador to the united states. so, yeah, it happens and someone like alex jones helps the powers-that-be by associating the idea with crazy people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

To be honest outside of these forums I don't know a single person who cared.

seconding roth. even the people who typically dislike snyder in my circles were begrudgingly like, yeah, this is better than the theatrical cut.