Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SeXReX posted:

Casey Kasem

I love Casey Kasem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7WF5VVwuo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

If there's one thing I hope we Millennials kill it's poo poo mid-tier restaurants like Applebees, Chilis, etc. They're all such garbage and overpriced to boot.

Fast food can stay. It at least serves a purpose if you're in a big hurry. But why the gently caress ever eat at an Applebees when you could find some good local place that is probably cheaper and is definitely tastier? loving boomers man.

Aren't some of those chains already in trouble? Turns out people don't want to spend $20 a head for lovely burgers, fries, and a coke.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nooner posted:

Nah they figured out how to get millenials interested again by putting a tablet at the table so you dont have to interact with anyone to order

I always thought that was more the little kids but I think you're onto something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Their local Bubba Gump Shrimp Company

Does this have anything to do with the hit Tom Hanks movie Forrest Gump ?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Indeed it does! Come on down to your local Bubba Gump Shrimp Company and try the Forrest’s Seafood Feast, Jenny’s Catch, or a plate of Lt. Dan’s Surf n Turf! Browse the gift shop and get yourself one of several “I Gotta Pee” T-shirts or a “Stupid Is As Stupid Does” magnet! Or you can just pull up a seat at the bar and watch the movie!

Sold. Do they accept reservations?

edit: Holy poo poo Jenny's Catch is a real item.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I went to a Roger Corman panel at a Comiccon. He was there with the dude who played Slade in the Arrow shows as he was in the movie they were promoting. At the start of the panel, the moderator explicitly told the audience not to ask ANY questions about Slade or Arrow.

The very first loving question was whether or not his character would be returning. The look on that actor's face was priceless. He was polite about it though. The next couple questions were STILL sorta about Arrow. It was a good 5 minutes before anyone had a question for Roger. It was sad and I hate panels.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

He was in a Michael Man TV series in the late 80's and he was decent in that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Whew. Made it under the wire yet somehow still vaguely offended. Though to be fair anyone posting on this forum is pretty hosed up.

Well in all fairness, 99% of the complaints in here about boomers can be applied to GenX.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nothing wrong with doing that to cook a hot dog. It's already cooked. You're just heating it up. If you've ever had a hot dog from a cart in a city, or a ballpark, that's how they make them.

Sausages on the other hand...wtf

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Inept posted:

good news, you're describing an office, and companies prefer you live there so

My boss (Squarely GenX but a conservative christian) told our team that if he had his way we'd be at work 24/7.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nooner posted:

I don't know sir, I like to keep business and personal life separate and I'd feel kinda weird porking your wife all over your desk

I am writing that one down in case he says that poo poo again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Taking from a food bank when you're wealthy is so gross. jfc

I had a part time gig with the Census people for the 2000 census. One of our tasks was to go to a soup kitchen and help them fill out forms and get them counted. I was there for a few hours and saw and heard things that just totally broke my heart. Once supper time rolled around the people who ran the kitchen asked us to stick around and eat with them. We all responded with, "Sure we'll stay so we can help more people but we won't eat. That food should go to those who really need it." But the staff insisted we stay and eat so we did. I felt like such a piece of poo poo while eating (even though it was ok).

I can't imagine what kind of poo poo person you'd have to be to go to a food bank or a 'free store' if you've got money like that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

My dad did something like that and he was Southern. In his case her put an ER where there should have been a OW. So it’s open the winder or where’s my piller.

I have Southern mispronunciations like ConCORD instead of Concurd or SEAment instead of cement, but I know how to pronounce loving window.

That's a Boston thing too. You'll hear things like pizza being pronounced peet-zer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

Another fun one is the pledge of allegiance. The whole idea is loving whackadoodle when you give it the slightest thought but it's another thing boomers flip out about when they find out us backwards youngins aren't doing the needful anymore.

I was at a baseball game and putting toppings on my hot dog during the national anthem. Some middle aged lady grabbed my arm and told me to stop and wait until after the song was over. I don't remember my exact words to her but there were lots of forms of the word 'gently caress' in there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kanine posted:

we were still being forced to do the pledge when i graduated high school in 2014. i got suspensions multiple times for refusing to do it

That’s weird since there’s literally a Supreme Court case that establishes you can’t be punished or discriminated against for not doing the pledge of allegiance.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Which is interesting because back in the 90s my teachers called anyone born after 1980 Gen Y. They saw us as distinctly different than kids born in the 70s. I was born in 81 and grew up calling myself that until Millennial replaced the term.

Yeah I have no idea what we are. I was born in 81 too. Depending on who you ask we're either tail-end Gen X or first gen Millenials.

I do know that I relate a lot more to the Gen X people in my life than the millennials.

Lil Peeler posted:

I've been on a road trip with my dad and will post more later but one bizarre thing he does, and this might be just him and not a boomers thing, is to just acknowledge things that he sees. Like he'll see a California plate and just say "there's a California plate!" Like it's something novel and worth making a whole conversation over.

That sounds more like a "I have no loving clue how to converse with my adult son" than a boomer thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

“Lobster butter”

How is this boomer-y. If you eat a steamed lobster, the butter is absolutely a thing to go with it.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

dee eight posted:

I had my wife send back a high school reunion invitation with a note that I'd been shot to death in a botched liquor store robbery. I don't really give a gently caress if someone believed it or not, but at least they don't bother sending them any more.

When are you traditionally supposed to do a reunion? I've never received any invites and it's been 20 years.