Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Young Freud posted:

If we're talking about a remake of the Terminator films, the way to do it would be to make both the human and the Terminator both indistinguishable until the end. Make them both murder machines, with the human not only charged with protecting the future leader of the resistance, but also tasked eliminating key personnel that would led to the development of Skynet/Legion/what-have-you, while the Terminator is doing the exact thing to future resistance leadership. The human could also be an Augment like Grace, further blurring the line. Really go for that plot that Cameron tried to do in the first couple movies, but extend out for a feature length film instead of abandoning it in the first fifteen minutes of the movie.

Those are good ideas but Cameron never really played with it at all. In T1 Ahnold immediately rips a guys heart out of his chest while Kyle Reese is clearly a confused human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Elysium is great and I don't know why it got panned. It's simplistic, sure, but it's effective and a drat entertaining movie.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

What is the Skynet naming convention anyway? Why did the T-X get a letter and not a number and do they iterate in single digits or not?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I thought Predators are big game hunters? Why on earth would they want mankind wiped out in favour of a planet of machines?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Sounds like I'll be picking up Resistance once it comes up cheap enough.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Roadie posted:

He's really good at managing his public appearance so it's hard to find clips of any length, but here's a short one where he's talking much less Arnie-y than usual.

If you hadn't said I should be listening for the lack of an accent I wouldn't have noticed anything differently. Accents are funny. I lived in America from the age of 10 and other than a few words never lost my accent and I know people who came to the States at 18-20 and completely lost it within a few years. At my first job at 19 I apparently still sounded like I'd just come off the boat, despite having been through school in America since 5th grade. My self identity was very confused.

My family moved back at 20 hence the past tense. My youngest sister was born in America and moved with the family back to the UK when she was almost 10 and now you'd never know she wasn't born here. The only one of us who kept an American sound in their accent is my brother who moved at 6 and back at 16. He sounds like an American who lived in the UK for a while.

TL;Dr Arnold sounds like an Austrian who's lived in America for a long time to me and I don't hear it less in that clip. Maybe he's just not putting it on so strongly but it's always there and I was expecting to hear a Californian accent come out or at least something like Sgt Candy up above.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

If there's ever more Terminator it should just be a third season of Sarah Connor Chronicles that takes place 11 years later or however long since it was cancelled.

She bolts upright as her fuel cell gets a recharge for the first time in 11 years. But that means? DUN DUN DUMB!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

A Nolan wrote Salvation??? Jesus, McG hosed up even harder than I knew. How does he have a career? Why is he getting these opportunities? Wtf worked so well that he's still coasting on it, the video for All Star?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The real movie was the Rev 9 Vs Grace. Linda and Arnold pulled it into the Terminator franchise but they could have been written out without losing much. The real movie was fantastic, if it weren't branded Terminator I think it would have been more acclaimed. That being said I totally enjoyed them being in it, LH is still badass as ever.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Like I said before, I liked this film.

I’m glad they killed John Connor, it shook things up a bit in terms of the normal story trajectory. Also glad the soldier who was sent back had been enhanced so she could have a bit of a fight with the terminator.

I feel like I’ve undergone hypnosis regarding this film because everyone seems to hate it and I thought it was good, apart from the flash forward “and this is where I learned to unite people” part.

I’d love another film set after this one, but I guess there’s only so many failed reboots you can do.

Pretty much the same but I didn't think it was a failure. It seemed to get generally decent reviews and it made hundreds of millions. So I wiki it and turns out it cost a stupid $185 million or so to make and just wtf production costs meant it had to make half a billion to officially "break even". At that kinda math I don't think anything short of roping them into the Avengers franchise is gonna do it.

E: well guess I got a little snyped there

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 30, 2020

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Overall I liked Genisys, I thought it did some pretty novel things. It shuffled up the character dynamics (Sarah essentially became Kyle and vice versa), it did something interesting with John Connor (and would have been a cool twist if the trailers hadn't spoiled it), the T1 callbacks were neat, it showed the equivalent of the logical progression of what T2 Arnold would have been like if he hadn't self-terminated and had stuck around to care for young John, the effects for bad guy John Connor were cool (especially when he's getting pulled apart by the MRI machine), all around I thought it did some cool and unique stuff and I had a good time with it.

Right from jump it toyed with the idea that the timeline you're watching isn't the timeline you know, if you're looking at the details - the T-800 endoskeletons are designed slightly differently, and according to the filmmakers that was on purpose.

Here's the OG endoskeleton:
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/terminator-t-800-endoskeleton-sideshow-collectibles-400060

And here's a good look at the Genisys revision:
https://chroniclecollectibles.com/collections/chronicle-products/products/endoskeleton

Oddly enough Dark Fate used the redesigned endoskeleton as well.

Oh that's a cool little thing. I saw Genisys once and had a big dumb smile on my face for the first half hour where they redo T1. On the way home from the cinema I think I gave it a freaking 9/10 on IMDb. To be fair we had a Groupon to a luxury cinema with reclining seats that served alcohol so I was rather buzzed. Haven't revisited it and don't remember hardly anything about the rest, just the beginning and a bit of Ahnuld. 9/10 for those, 4/10 for the rest I guess.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Genisys is on Netflix (along with T1) so I started watching in bed and remembered I loathed the chunky slightly-younger Colm Meany guy they have playing John. Still enjoyed Arnold and the CGI 80s Arnold looks good too. I fell asleep during the bit where you meet the unexpected liquid metal term that I COMPLETELY forgot was in this.

Also how this was supposed to be Matt Smith's big film debut after killing it as Doctor Who and then he gets half a scene and is never seen again in movies lol.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

All his hubris is contained in him having them credit him as "Matthew Smith". For a second in the opening credits I had to remember who that actually was. He clearly thought he better get "Matthew Smith" in people's heads before he has to put "Matt Smith" on the posters of all his future starring roles...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

There is a lot of fiction out there about Skynet that basically says as soon as it had the time travel tech it started sending all kinds of mission terminators out there, they weren't all set to specifically hunt John Connor (though they would immediately drop what they were doing and go after him if they detected him). This was one of the main plot-driving things about The Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show. Also lots of "expanded universe" comics and books.

The one story out there about a Terminator that was sent back and ended up at the wrong time destination (as in, back in the 1800s), and decided to accumulate wealth and build weapon stockpiles for Future-Skynet to find and use later while making as little impact on historical events as possible was a neat story (and used for a “Terminator of the week” episode in the previously mentioned show).
Where can I read this?! Sounds like I need to watch at least one episode of the show.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You would think that, but then you watch it and it's a real letdown. Part of the issue is that it arrived on network television before prestige TV had caught on everywhere, so the budget kind of sucks, which is not what you would hope for in a show about terminators. Another part of it is that the casting could in many cases be better.

I thought that show aired about 5 years ago and got a few seasons! A decade ago and only one. Guess the cultural footprint it left was bigger than the show itself. When did prestige TV officially start? I thought it was basically Sopranos on.

Anyway, shame they butchered such a good premise. I'd definitely read a comic of that idea though.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Dark Fate is as flawed as Salvation or Genisys in some ways, but it's elevated by Mackenzie Davis and Natalia Reyes.

It's nowhere near as flawed as those two. I actually liked Genisys the first time I saw it in cinemas but Dark Fate is absolutely a much better movie throughout. It doesn't have all the weird dropped things in Genisys like recreating the 80s but not throughout and making Kyle Reese an idiot muscleman. Nevermind the weird unexplained stuff from the dropped trilogy like the Asian guy being Robert Patrick T-1000 cop in 1984.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 6, 2020

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

I just want to add that I love that the t-1000 was acting out a domestic life and cooking beef loving stew.

Thought it was chopping carrots?

There's so many things in T2 that make you want to see more. How long was Robert Patrick role-playing his foster mom? Would he have done it for hours longer until he called, and what does that domestic situation look like?

Also when he said that Arnold came by earlier too. Show me that! Since the T-1000 clearly has a charm routine added (he's a fine looking boy!) I want to see how it went with the dumb robot Austrian.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

What if we just assume the cash machine is a very early skynet ally and is playing along because it knows it needs to get him in the right place to be taken out by the T-1000? Just call it the C-800.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I will say it‘s an interesting glimpse into an alternate universe where Terminator is lib horseshit.

Only the best reviews open with this. Real talk: it was a fine action movie between Grace and the Rev-9. Arnold and Linda Hamilton were fine in it but weren't really necessary. I can't fault you for the time travel stuff, you're right how dumb it is. One of those things I assume was meant to make sense in the new trilogy that won't happen because it didn't do T2 numbers, same as Genesys.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Alhazred posted:

It's completely forgettable, the only reason why people are even vaguely aware that it exists is because it's part of the Terminator franchise.

Hard disagree. I think it was held back by needing to be included in the Terminator franchise. The ideas it has would have been way stronger if they'd been allowed to stand as their own thing. That's basically what I mean when I say Linda and Arnold were fine but unnecessary. I enjoyed them well enough but I'm also someone who enjoys Arnold just doing his thing in things. The Grace vs Rev-9 stuff could have been better in it's own world without story constraints.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think people have really been fooled into thinking the movie works because MacKenzie Davis puts in such a strong performance. But, outside of what the actor’s contribution, there’s not really much going on with the character. There’s basically just the implication that she loves Dani.

And this is where the bad storytelling comes into play, because is this literally the same Dani or is it a younger alternate-universe version created through the act of time travel (as Sarah now insists)? Because that changes whether Dani is a ‘lover-with-amnesia’ sort of character or a daughter figure to Grace. When you don’t cleanly distinguish the two, you get some weird incestuousness that they don’t do anything with. Either that, or Grace just boringly loves Dani enough to die for her in a totally platonic way.

It doesn’t help that the “augmented human gives their heart to the leader of the Resistance” thing is a straight rip from Terminator 4, where it was done much better.

It also doesn’t help that the film’s actual protagonist is Sarah - and her entire relationship to Grace is effectively just that they’re both secretly receiving orders from Carl. Them being annoyed with eachother isn’t great drama.

I honestly don't remember much about any of that and I didn't pick up any love undertones. I mostly remember it being a not great way to replace John Connor as mankind's saviour in the franchise. I can only recall the action stuff and that's what I went in wanting.

quote:

Even with the midcredit teaser and the minor mystery of where Pops came from, Genisys told a perfectly self-contained story. The same can’t be said here. If your film relies on the hope of making hundreds of millions of dollars of profit to be spent on a second explanatory film, it’s automatically a failure.

Genisys had a T1000 in 1984 that never got brought up again. It was so clearly throwing in sequel things, it was in absolutely no way self contained. (That's just the first thing that's come to mind but I have no doubt if I looked I'd find 100 more to bring up).

T3 was way more self contained. Genisys might actually be the worst self contained but I also haven't seen 4 since my initial viewing when it came out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Alhazred posted:

What unique ideas did it have though? IT was basically just a retelling of T2.

I found the Rev-9 an interesting idea, Grace was a good character and their fights were the best parts. The idea of a future ai seeding history to ensure ise own existence has something to it. I think it was just hamstrung by needing to fit into the Terminator concepts. Dani's entire story was John Connors but in no way did the movie retell T2 because the movie wasn't told from Dani's perspective and didn't give her the arc, or even Graces perspective. Certainly not the way T2 told John Connors story. It was too tied to Linda and Arnie, and while I enjoyed them, the other half of the movie felt like it would have had stronger potential to breathe and become more without them. I didn't say it had anything unique, I said it had things that could have been more interesting if explored on their own.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

An 80s style romantic comedy, "So I married a Terminator".

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Payndz posted:

Isn't that Dark Fate?

Please, I can only dream we got 120 minutes of Carl the Drapist and his sexless but trusting and meaningful matrimonial situation.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Everything I hated about Genisys summed up in a tweet:

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1296207440866717697?s=20

They cast Jai Courtney, a block headed piece of muscle to play the resistance soldier who's never found time to meet a girl and eat a meal. I also hated the equally blockheaded guy they cast as John Connor.

Yes I know the comic is about Arnold. It just reminded me I can buy him as the infiltration robot more than I could buy any of those characters from being from the skull island future.

A lot of what they did in that annoyed me for the lack of appropriate detail. Like, they recreated the 1984 scenes right down to having Nike reproduce the exact kind of sneakers Michael Biehn wore, but they didn't give Sarah Connor the 1984 hair, instead giving her a sleek ponytail that would have stood out like a sore thumb back then.

My feeling between the last two is that Dark Fate was dragged down by needing to fit in Arnold but Genisys is only saved by including him halfway through. I wanted to like it so bad but all the casting felt wrong, right down to Matt Smith as nu-Skynet. So many weird choices in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

He had plenty of time because the future he came from is a different one than in the original The Terminator.

The Skynet Jai Courtney Reese is fighting in the future is just a puppet run by Matt Smith / Genisys. Genisys has learned that it can't completely end the time loop from the first movie, so instead it's carefully recreating it. In particular, it recreates the war as unfolding the way John has been told it will go because that means John can just walk through the paces, not ask too many questions, and keep winning. And because John effectively has precognition, the resistance has a much easier time than it did in the future Michael Biehn Reese came from, so Kyle Reese is well-fed, not suffering from PTSD, etc.

Similarly, Sarah Connor is now anachronistically dressing up and doing her hair like Terminator 2 Sarah Connor, while also being played by babyfaced Emilia Clarke, because a future robot has been caring for her—saving her a lot of the struggle she had in the original timeline—but also explicitly molding her into T2 Sarah.

I'm not saying I particularly care for their actual performances in the movie, but the casting for different physical types is appropriate for a story about various AIs creating and caring for people in order to slot them into pre-existing spots in a time loop.

This makes sense, thanks, but I shouldn't need to have it explained to me when I watched the movie twice. I feel like that was supposed to be made obvious in the sequels that never happened but was not very visible on a casual watch. The script felt like kind of a mess so that didn't help my comprehension.

I seem to catch movies at much more of a surface level than you guys. Like the guy who responded earlier when we were talking about Dark Fate who said the Rev-9 is a named that as a biblical allusion...