Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
It looks like an Uruk-Hai sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Of course his kickstarter got funded right away. I hate him so much. That is a damnable pack of lies. How has this man been allowed to host a panel called "writing memorable heroes and villains" for multiple years?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I know. It was largely rhetorical. Gotta do something til the next update. They could walk into mongreltown tomorrow or next month and either option would make an equal amount of sense.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm telling you he's reading this thread and loving with us

Even though I have proof Mookie has raised a discretionary $20k, I can say with complete confidence that he is so allergic to any form of criticism, as evidenced by shutting down his own forums when they turned against his horrible comic, that there is no way he would ever pay :tenbux: to watch us laugh at him or go to the effort of lurking.

It is loving amazing how there is no content here. Like Rotten Red Rod said, it's hard to come up with clever digs when Mookie gives us nothing to work with, so instead I'll say if you want a good thing that's dialogue free, go watch Genndy Tartakovsky's "Primal." I heard the hype for it last year but wanted to wait til all the eps were out and it only came up on my list now. Breathtaking stuff.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It is literally impossible to tell how much time is passing in or between comics. I don't blame you. I thought the same thing since we've seen them sleeping multiple times. I guess they took a lot of naps.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

What is his panel creation process like that it results in a gutter so misshapen.

I believe we discussed this:

Mookie used to freehand his borders with a pencil and no straight edge, which is why his gutters were irregular. Lately he has moved to some kind of digital program which will draw lines for him done through a tablet computer. However, he is too stupid to use it to either create boxes or have it draw auto perpendicular lines that cut at the corner. Consequently, we get irregular gutters with open borders or extra kibble half the time.

Time for an old pastime: edits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

What were the best parts of dominic deegan?

Legacy feels like wading through sludge compared to my memory of DD, where stuff at least tried to happen. If I wanted to go back to the most competent arc of DD to compare, which arc would that be?

In all seriousness, there are no good parts of Dominic Deegan. Summaries of events from the other posters and me inevitably make the comic sound much more exciting than it actually was to read.

In my brief rundown of Milov's character arc and the summary of the Eldariat to Die storyline, for example, I left out that for weeks and months at a time during both of these, there were just as many strips of nothing happening (puns, walking, loving around, alliteration, cutaways, etc) and the pacing was completely hosed.

It's not unique to these storylines. Celesto's arc with the beast, David Johann's endgame toward the climax of the comic, they're all pretty much the same when it comes to crappy filler comics in the middle of them.

Now, all that being said, Mookie has undoubtedly gotten worse about all this stuff. It's a hundred times worse in Legacy than it was in Deegan Classic. But that doesn't mean all these problems weren't present there. They were. We just kind of elide past it when summarizing events since it doesn't change anything, and whenever discussing Deegan, there is an implied "but imagine that what I just described was terrible and dumb."

In the interests of addressing your question to the best of my ability, lay out your criteria for competence and I'll do my best to give you a coherent answer.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm mostly just looking for which part was the best, from a standard that isn't "fun to laugh at" but which arc is the closest to being intentionally good or fun to read (yes I'm aware the answer is "none of it" but it'd be cool to go back and read the arc where it got closest). I guess the closest to well defined criteria would be "when does mookie get as close to being as good as he thinks he is?" Or rather, if you were judging the work based on what it's aiming to be rather than what it actually is

When did dominic deegan peak
The answer is once more, "none of it."

If I had to answer anyway, I would say the War in Hell arc. Being free from Dominic himself and all his rear end in a top hat friends for 2 years of comics, even if it's just to assassinate Siegfried's character and deal with a bunch of new characters I don't know or care about as he wages war against Karnak is as close as the comic ever got to being good, but to be clear, it still sucked and was terrible. This is an arc that ends with Siegfried eating his dad's magically-animated head for no immediately clear reason.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd say it happened around the time Dominic went full Golden Age Superhero and just stood around doing nothing while the bad guys accomplished all of their goals and thwarted one another without his direct intervention until the last second when a new power or ability would drop unearned and effortless into Dominic's lap and he'd resolve the problem of the year in an anticlimax.

Wait, that was still every single arc, wasn't it? poo poo.

The real answer was "that time Mookie tried to make rape a heroic act." That was peak Dominic Deegan.

Perfect answer. The only reason people were against Stonewater was because they were mind controlled by a hate demon. Not Dominic though, he knows that child rape is a heroic act. Mookie playing dumb about why this was so poorly received is definitely him at the height of his power. This was the single event in the comic's history that caused the largest number of his fans to see the light and realize the comic they were reading was terrible and they either cut themselves loose or joined one of the various mock threads.

Hostile V posted:

I vaguely remember Greg turning himself into Super Greg to try and save some ice lady from being vengeful so I feel like that's probably the apex of it in the sense of Peak Mookie.

The Snowsong arc is a good choice for Peak Deegan.

For ninjewtsu's benefit, in summary: Snowsong was a former cultist of Dominic's necromancer brother, Jacob (read: an unnamed extra.) Dominic beat them up and splintered their cell very early in the comic. Years later, Snowsong tracked down Dominic with the aim of revenging herself on him for killing all her friends. Internal narration reveals her motivation wasn't exactly avenging the deaths of her friends, but more a philosophical objection to Dominic for being a cop and a square and trying to stop her and her fellow cultists from coloring outside the lines and doing forbidden magic like demon stuff and necromancy. She resented Deegan for being hidebound and set in his ways and was planning to kill him but saw him buy oranges instead of apples while at the grocery store.

This shook her resolve. She continued to stalk him, but then saw him later wearing a different shirt from the shirt he was wearing the last time she saw him. Consequently, she decided he wasn't a rule-following robot after all. She was about to leave but then Greg saw her and attacked her and the rest of the arc was an interminable fight. Greg used white magic and turned into Superman. He beat Snowsong but did not kill her.

After this fight, he had "used up" his internal reservoir of white magic and lost his powers. Consequently, his character was drastically rewritten for the second and final time (in the beginning of the comic, he was blonde, slender and waifish with a bum leg full of necrotic magic. After having the magic cancer ripped out and turned into body armor by Jacob, the veins of white magic in his body could flow unimpeded, making him muscular and able bodied and turning his hair red, changing his personality from meek to brash shonen protagonist) into the decidedly nonmagical Metal Greg who was short and wiry with long black Greg Universe hair and a lovely beard. From this point on, he spent all his time playing electric guitars in a metal band and never did anything of consequence to the plot again.

Regalingualius posted:

Was that the one where Dominic revealed that he’d set up the whole thing with an overly-complicated scheme to teach Greg a lesson about using his power responsibly?
Yeah. Dominic saying his catchphrase: "dance, puppets, dance!" well known as a normal thing good guys say.

GrossMurpel posted:

What if the cliff is several thousand meters tall and the wind carried it up
No physics in the Mild Edge.

Roleplaying Larry posted:

The Storm of Souls is the least bad part of Dominic Deegan. There are very vague hints of actual cool ideas somewhere in there, they’re just executed terribly and of course the art is rear end the whole way through, but compared to the rest of the comic it’s the highest point.

Like any cool idea Mookie had, it was lifted wholesale from Green Lantern comics that were coming out at that time. In this case, Geoff Johns's "Rebirth" arc about Parallax.

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is fine though? A well-written human antagonist using forces beyond their comprehension is a good plot arc and doesn’t have to directly lead to them getting eaten. To point towards Negarestani or DOOM, fossil fuels are a cosmic horror but fuel execs are more or less in control of them.

I assume this being DD the whole thing was terrible nonsense though.
The whole thing was indeed terrible nonsense. What you're saying is true, of course, but the problem with this in general (and exemplified in Dominic Deegan) is that after the hero beats up and kills the unspeakable horror with all of his resources, having the real boss be a less powerful human is anticlimactic. You're working backwards. If you're writing a crappy video game where the main just kills bosses, they should be ascending in power level.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

Dominic did these things on purpose to convince her, because he saw the future.

That's what he claims, yes, but he always says that after the danger is over.

It's objectively ridiculous that either of these things actually work.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

I felt similarly about Draken, but that actually panned out.

Who is Draken?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Darken, that was the name. The fantasy comic about drow by Kate Ashwin. She's behind the currently running and absolutely excellent Widdershins.
Oh, thank you. Sorry, I thought it was somehow a character from Original Recipe Deegan I didn't remember. I like how this thread is becoming recs for good webcomics.

Joe Slowboat posted:

That thing about 'he wears more than one shirt, he must have a complex internal life' is just... my god.

Also 'dance, puppets, dance' is precisely the kind of grandstanding wannabe-supervillain-but-also-extremely-convinced-of-own-moral-superiority joke that nerds (used to?) make. And that Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog satirized. When you're less self-aware than Joss Whedon you have some serious brainworms.
There's no "used to" about it. While the mainstream has moved past stuff like this, otaku like Mookie still do it. Mookie is constantly jerking off to the climax of the "Foundation" series. That's what he thinks he's doing with Dominic Deegan, writing the defeat of the Mule.

Hostile V posted:

Thank you for the reminder of what exactly happened in that arc, I think that was more or less when I stopped caring about DD and wasn't yet on SA for the mocking of it. I see now that it is indeed a loving waste of time to remember what happens in any of these comics because it's always dumber than you remember.

You're welcome. Well, if I can shoulder that burden for you, I'm more than happy to do it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mookie doesn't even remember the sign gag

One of those Elephant Catapults lives at the bottom of the cliff, clearly.

they are called "tossers"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Crowetron posted:

Do you guys think the next two weeks will be Snout and Inkwich "comically" trying to climb down the cliff or will we just hardcut to them standing in a city street because Mookie got bored?

One week of climbing then suddenly in the void the city streets.

Why are there power lines? Does Mongreltown have electricity?

He traced a picture of a snack tower his wife got him for a treat:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

The coloring is REALLY loving with me on this. At least, that's all I can figure out here. All of the big, light colored rocks look closer to us than the buildings. It's only supposed to be true for some of them, but... Ugh, it's a weird eye maze.

I'm pretty sure those are trees. The fact it's not clear is another indictment of his inability to draw.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

RandomPauI posted:

Is inkwitches dress getting shorter?

Yes, it fluctuates every time he draws her. So does the size of her hat (especially from panel 1 to 2) and whether she carries a paintbrush or broom.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The real Mookie thing is bust sizes increasing dramatically when the woman causes or is subjected to violence.
There was one fairly infamous bit from the Mild Edge where the mongrelwoman Bort has the hots for went from like a C cup to an F cup since she was busy eviscerating people.

That's part of her mongrelfolk physiology: her body absorbs blood and it makes her tits huge like a dinosaur sponge.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

why wouldn't he write "where is the library or bookstore"

why bother with the dialogue-less conceit if it doesn't matter

why bother

I'll do you one better: if the bookstore has a sign on the front of it saying "buuk stor," why does he need any dialogue to anyone? He could just read the sign.

PMush Perfect posted:

Why do these people know what diacritics are, but not how to spell "book"?

Edit: It's not even like they spell phonetically, that would be 'buk'. And the Mongreltown sign wasn't written like this. ...why do I expect any kind of logic from this stupid comic?
Because Mookie is stupid and it's hard to misspell 4 letter words.

Mongreltown wasn't like this because Mookie couldn't figure out how to run it through the chik fil a filter but still have it be intelligible.

If people in Mongreltown are illiterate, the bookstore (well, it wouldn't exist) but it'd have a sign with a picture of a book on it like a medieval tavern, not writing. And look at that, that's closer to being dialogue free.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The reader, Snout, and Mookie all know what Snout was talking about, therefore every other character does because they have no actual presence.

Regardless of the question, this is always the answer.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I also thought this was an edit. What the gently caress.

PetraCore posted:

I think the implication is the owner of the book store is a mongrelfolk chaser with a mispelled sign because he's racist, and the person Snout asked for help assumed he wanted the racist erotic book store because who the gently caress is Dominic Deegan and also Snout's with the Ink Witch.

As much as I like this idea, I doubt it because that's more layers than Mookie can keep track of.

This is, in Mookie or Troper talk, a planet of hats. I think it's very unlikely they'll encounter any non-Mongrelfolk in Mongreltown because that's where Mongrelfolk live.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Why did Mookie chicken out and not draw the bookkeeper's dong?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Did I die? Am I in hell?

I'm afraid I died and I'm in heaven. What would that say about me?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

What about Ball Made of Smaller Balls though?? Does he not get a book?
Who do you think wrote the Balls Saga? :smug:

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Ink Witch is an rear end in a top hat if she's not even trying to deflect this or explain.

She is not on panel, so she does not exist.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The book Snout is reading begins with a white cover. It then transforms into a black cover. It is currently a white cover.

I hate this comic.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

GrossMurpel posted:

Inkwitch is deaf too? Or why did they need a non-dialog written note to communicate here?

Mookie has written himself into a corner and refuses to acknowledge that sometimes, hearing people talk to each other even when a deaf person is present.

But aside from that, it's just a mask of his terrible writing style and all the models he's using being chosen one self insert crap where no one but the main is allowed to actually do anything, regardless of how inconsequential. Inkwich can't possibly tell the clerk trivial information. The main has to do it! Funnels into Mookie's misogyny that these passive appendage characters are girls yada yada yada you've heard this before. I hope they move on from the item shop soon and we get back to baffling incompetence instead of dreary incompetence.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol I didn't even catch that. Mookie hasn't forgotten that Snout is deaf - he's forgotten everyone else ISN'T!

It's a mask of flaw scrubbing. Snout is deaf, but it will never cause him any problems, because everyone he runs into can read and write, even a race that is too stupid to read and write and is willing to communicate through notes and always carries a pen and a bunch of postits in a pre-industrial agrarian society.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

Gnolls can canonically understand every language, so when they show up they'll be able to read Snout's facial expressions.

I don't think gnolls exist in deeganland. Have I forgotten them? It was a very long comic. I don't know of that as a power of theirs in D&D either, but admittedly I've only ever played 3rd edition. Is it a new power of theirs in 4 or 5, or does it come from 2 or prior?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Correct. No Gnolls. These are Mongrelfolk, original fantasy race do not steal.

(Gnolls have more dignity, and belts)

It's been a few pages, but Mongrelfolk are also literally from dungeons and dragons.

The real reason gnolls don't exist in deeganland isn't that Mookie's worried about getting sued by Hasbro, but because he wouldn't be able to differentiate their hyena snouts from all the human snouts.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Having FUN isn't HARD if you HAVE a LIBRARY card

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Stealing jokes from 20+ year old sitcoms.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

I know I just made this joke last update but actually, why is Ink Witch disappearing for huge gaps of time and then reappearing when convenient. They’re traveling together but Snout gets thrown out, makes an agenda and starts panhandling all without her input, then she reappears to offer a solution. Characters should...still exist, when off panel.

Mookie is so stupid he lacks a sense of object permanence. It explains a lot about his terrible comics.

This comic is a loving Zeno's arrow. Nothing happens for 2 weeks. Something happens for 1 day. We spend 2 days recapping what happened yesterday. Repeat. He really does write this like a newspaper strip with slightly more foreskin.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well that "problem" lasted less than two pages.

Also, again, her name is ink witch and she is an ink witch. What reason does she have to not tell Snout her name?
Mookie is a dumb poo poo so subscribes to payoff-based writing. He'll treat her name as some kind of dramatic reveal in 600 strips when he tells us she's Dominic Deegan's great granddaughter because he also thinks characters secretly being related to each other is an adequate substitute for plot.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Who What Now posted:

"Ink readings" have never been a thing before. There's no reason they'd be super popular now. Might as well have had her doing caricatures. It's the same drat poo poo.

That's out of the question. That would require Mookie to consistently draw anyone in the first place. Without that, there can be no comical exaggerations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mookie is in his 40s now. He has entered the next stage in his life cycle and become a crystal and oils weirdo. Fits perfectly and explains a lot.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

So neither of these chucklefucks set aside literally :10bux: to buy their plot coupon, huh?

That's bullshit.

At least we're apparently skipping past the gross "B-b-b-but there's only one bed!" scene from Mookie's animes and just ignoring it entirely. So there's that.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

the yeti posted:

Mookie will keep drawing that stupidly complex currency symbol as often as he can huh

It's just a yen symbol but with 3 extra lines.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Nighthand posted:

It's important to make it clear that the mongrelfolk use mongrelbucks instead of the currency generally accepted in DOWN TOWN EROSSUS and wherever fine Deeganmerch is sold: United States Dollars.

YOU DEPOSIT ONE MONGREL DOLLAR

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I hate this comic.

I'm flabbergasted at how Mookie continues to have this Schroedinger's dick which could be either cut or uncut due to its lack of detail.

Snout's armpits are a single unbroken line all the way down to his sweaty hog. Nothing anyone can say will convince me otherwise.

So did he whip it out before or after she was asleep? Neither answer pleases me.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I've figured out a good name for the one face Mookie knows how to draw:

the Mask of Terracciano.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Taking bets now. Are they going to sex, or is Ink Witch going to tsundere anime slap him for being a pervert?

You really have to ask this poo poo? There's no way they'll have sex, that would give the girl agency and make her a whore instead of a madonna. She will slap him and go "b-baka!" like in Mookie's animes.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

evilmiera posted:

All characters in this comic suffer from a very rare bone disease where between panels their limbs break and reknit themselves painlessly. But since they have to move during this process the bones end up in positions they shouldn't.

And Ink Witch is just going to bone Snout in his sleep so Mookie doesn't have to try and build up a relationship between the two. That would take work.

For less than the cost of a cup of coffee a day, you can give to help prevent boneitis from claiming another victim. Please call the number on your screen.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah that was the old Mookie. The new Mookie has horny liberated dad energy, and wants everyone to know about the sex he has with his wife, and how he totally isn't afraid to draw nudity and sex, which is :nws: totally a unique quality :nws: in online comics in TYOL 2020.
Given that they're already bed sharing and naked, I feel like the chance for an adult consensual sexual encounter has kind of come and gone and we're going to get some kind of puritanical cheat in the upcoming comics if we don't get an overt avoidance. Mookie may be flaunting his new love of drawing dicks and boobs, but he's still afraid of sex because he's a gross manchild.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I utterly refuse to believe an adult married man in a healthy relationship with a woman wrote this.

Why would you assume any relationship Mookie is in is healthy? What skeeves me out is that he has a child.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Outstanding edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

Thanks.

Back to the comic, I'm more fascinated than ever as to what crime or transgression Snout or his parents must have committed to be exiled. Who were his people? Who were his parents? He doesn't read like a feral loner or a hermit, just a socially maladjusted nerd.

They never stopped talking about Dominic Deegan.