Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MasBrillante posted:

“I started having dreams about sweet little puppies and then kittens, and then babies being devoured by a large group of people. I believe these were dreams about my son. “

It's fairly weird that they are living with the wife's parents while they have a condo already. And then they bought a house that the parents moved into?

I would sooner chew off a finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Panfilo posted:

People were saying that these estranged parents deliberately make their posts vague though they all seem so collectively deluded you'd think they could be transparent yet still get the same sympathy.

Some evidence points to the idea that they don't actually remember transgressing in any way.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

OMFG FURRY posted:

ugh my amazon browsing history is gonna be polluted for awhile

Click here, my friend.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

teen witch posted:

The thing I do wonder with this is, where the gently caress are the dads? Like it seems that most are mothers writing on the website, and I do wonder why that is.

Like there are mentions of husbands and what not but as kind of a tertiary background character, and I kind of think that roles as “mother takes care of hearth and home and your children’s relationships are a reflection of you, thus you have failed as a woman” have a huge influence in all of this.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Dregs posted:

My wife was diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder after 15 years of hell. I could tell some stories, boy. It's a bit better now that theres medication involved.

Tell some stories, boy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Me grandpappy was a virgin driven from the old country by Chads during The Troubles.

Shame he converted in the new world.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LyonsLions posted:

He directly invited her and she's still bitching. WTF does this woman want?

To be the center of the known universe.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
What a nice world it would be if "just ignore them" was the harshest hate crime.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Wicker Man posted:

Sorry this is late but I really do appreciate this! You are right, I had some pretty bad emotional wounds as a kid from my parents, and I know how awful it is when no one will help you with it.

It always gets me every time I see the parts where they won't own up to the things they did wrong. The whole smarmy tone that goes with it is disgusting.

There is a Black Mirror episode that portrays the bad things that could happen if everyone had a brain chip that recorded everything they see and hear. While watching I kept thinking over and over again how loving perfect it would be to have records of everything that actually happened.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Sounds like something over what you could take your parents to a court of law.

That would require being in contact with them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Clitch posted:

My most vivid memory of the lock on my door was when my stepmother shoulder-charged through it and tried to wrap a garbage bag around my throat.

Was your head in the bag, or was she just using it as a garrot?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Excellent The Giver roleplaying.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LadyPictureShow posted:

Keep it in pristine condition in the attic; whine online when their EC doesn't want it for their precious grand-baby.

E: When I was 3, I had a stuffed bear I named 'Little Squisher'. He popped a seam and my mom said she would fix him. I asked about when he would be 'okay' at least twice a week for months. One day my dad yelled 'I threw him out!' when I asked. It was because he had a hole, and my mom wasn't bothering to repair it; she'd just put him in a box in the basement.

One time in an argument about him not respecting my things (I was in the hospital, he came to visit and proceeded to go through my apartment and go through/throw out some of my stuff) I said 'You've never given a poo poo about anybody else's stuff; you even threw out Little Squisher. He was my favorite!'
He didn't get my point and got mad that I was 'still hung up' on a toy from twenty years ago.

My 35 y.o. wife will never forgive her mom for the loss of both Puppy and Blankie. She put them in the laundry like she was supposed to and somehow they ended up in a donation bag.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't know anyone who had more than two siblings that didn't have a miserable childhood.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I mean the mom is obviously nuts and should be cut off but who the gently caress favorably compares their girlfriend to a Bratz doll???

Some of the grammar indicates it's "virtually possible" this might not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TheKennedys posted:

Disclaimer: long, e/n, may have posted the short version already

Took us 20 years but my mother finally realized in May how incredibly wrong and abusive and gaslighting my stepdad was, after my 19-year-old son punched him in the teeth

It took her until August to use the word "abusive", and until last week to finally crack and rewrite her statement to the court (because of course the cops blamed my kid and not his abuser, because rear end in a top hat is over 65) to include the times he hit her and talk about his abuse.

She still thinks my son should apologize so rear end in a top hat will "make it go away". :decorum: is more important than standing your ground against abuse.

Not a loving chance. Even after he's lost his marriage and his "grandson" - who refuses to use his name now, and has PTSD symptoms and panic attacks, thanks fuckbag, 19-year-old me is so grateful you were there to "help" my mother raise him when I had a massive breakdown, all I wanted was for y'all not to gently caress him up worse than my crazy rear end would have - he still thinks he deserves an apology for being an abusive fash that got what he deserved.

Boy, luckily, flat out refuses to do any such thing and both of us are on the "if I see his face again he's not leaving under his own power" train. I love my mother and she's amazingly supportive and helpful and really genuinely cares about people, and that's the problem, she believes everyone has good intentions. rear end in a top hat may have had good intentions but until they lead him into hell where he belongs he's getting bashed like the loving fash he is

on the bright side Boy went from echoing "haha TRUMP" in 2015 to surprisingly full-fledged comrade courtesy of Fash Granddad so as usual, the kids are in fact alright

I just wish I'd had the balls to punch that fuckhead 20 years ago, but even I didn't know how deep the roots of this poo poo were until the fight brought everything bubbling to the surface. I always kept the faith by assuming, and being told, that Boy had such a good life there with them in their big house with the dogs and the yard, and that's what I saw when I was with them, because like most career assholes, rear end in a top hat is very good at appearing charismatic and personable to people who don't have to live with him. I saw through him on some level at 17 and bailed, but y'know, inherently I'm a coward I guess and I always thought the way he treated me was personal dislike for being a mouthy teenager when he married my mom. Been doubting a lot about myself lately after all this came out though. How do you reconcile being loving gaslit and lied to for years with the knowledge that you allowed it based on the premise that it was obviously better than you could do as a single broke teenager. How do you come to terms with feeling responsible for it?

This all sounds good, but I'm having trouble following the events.

You had your mom raise your son, and at 19 he punched your stepdad in the face because he's a Nazi? What was the argument?

Then there's some court stuff with too many pronouns which I can't decipher who does what.

If it's just me, that's ok too.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TheKennedys posted:

I'm not good at writing all of it out yet, I'm sorry. It's all really fresh still. Boy lived with my mom for most of his life for reasons mostly related to me being a crazy person, and then because I got convinced I was basically useless by my stepdad so he could minimize my "bad influence". I live close by, less than five miles, and have for more than half of that time. Once Boy wasn't a minor anymore, he started standing up to my stepdad and finally punched him, which led to the court case (for elder abuse). Ultimately it came out that rear end in a top hat had been every form of abusive that whole time, and now my kid has PTSD and panic attacks even though we're in the process of memory holing rear end in a top hat (and lots of therapy). My mother is more concerned with decorum and keeping everyone happy than taking Boy's cracking mental state seriously :(

Idk, I wasn't going to post because I'm a coward and it's a clear "already NC obviously" situation, but someone mentioned abused kids having memories bubbling up like they're happening right now, because the kid never processed them, and it's happening to Boy. This thread has been a safe place for a lot of people and idk, I just wanted to get it out there out loud I guess

Thanks for clearing it up. Good luck with getting past all this.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
This space for rent.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 11, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

trickybiscuits posted:

sidenote: the thrift store bit spoke to me a lot because a few years ago my dad and his gf and I went to visit my brother in a part of the world I'd never visited before and I wanted to see what the thrift stores were like (yes, it's stupid, but you can learn a lot about a place by its thrift stores and also I love thrift stores). If I hadn't tactfully suggested a visit to a mall, I would have spent a six-day trip not getting to do a single thing that I really wanted to do. I was mostly there to see my brother, but it would still have been sad.

What part of the world has a thrift store be the highlight of the visit? Was it just they wanted to sit and watch TV together all day? There wasn't local cuisine to explore?

Not trying to attack you at all, just wondering what part of the world is worse than Ohio.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
This thread is certainly full of bull.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

teen witch posted:

Oh don’t hold back, how so

Proteus Jones posted:

Whoa there pardner.

I’m pretty sure Beachcomber was referring to the stories from the Rejected Parents, not the posts of goons in these here parts.

It's this.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

13Pandora13 posted:

Would you say it's...general(ly) bullshit?

That doesn't really fit with the 'rodeo' theme, but sure

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Grimdude posted:

I feel like I picked a bad time to have a falling out with my mom's side of the family.

"This hurts me more than it hurts you, but if you don't have to face consequences for your actions you're never going to learn. Happy Holidays, Mom."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

GORDON posted:

Wisdom teeth pulled in bootcamp in 1991. I got loving Motrin and 3 days of light duty.

It's really weird when they try to prescribe me ibuprofen or regular Tylenol. No thanks, I've got a huge bottle at home already.

When it comes to opioids, codeine, hydrocodone, and morphine don't affect me in any way. That goes over real well.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd think people could realise that we have a societal gold standard for adoptive parents, and they're literally Superman's family.

They had to keep it secret because "we found him in a field" was unlikely to go over well.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ideally, children should never feel indebted to their parents.

Unless they die in a fire rescuing them or something.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

trickybiscuits posted:

that one actually scares me because this woman has so much control over her grandchildren and she's so bent on undercutting her son and his wife (the people who are actually trying to help the children by taking them to a therapist, etc.). She clearly thinks that all the money she gave her son was supposed to buy his loyalty forever and now that that's failed, she's trying to do the same with his kids.

Here's some posts from a different forum, from the point of view of the parent in that situation. They're really long, but that's because they're detailed in a way that these estranged parents posts usually are not. Also slightly edited for clarity.

There's a reason the word is "spoiled".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They Might Be Giants and I don't care who knows it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Krispy Wafer posted:

5 year old? Chud.

I don't think you can blame a 5 year old for liking a brightly colored, loud, and buffoonish cartoon man.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My ex-wife was a loving nightmare and I still wouldn’t have referred to her as “the wife”

What is this responding to?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

meat glitter posted:

this thread is so nice to have around. i'm estranged from my parents and went full no contact (or tried to anyway) about a year ago and whenever my mom pulls some crazy poo poo like calling my property manager to try and get my current address from them or calls the police to do a "wellness check" on me it helps to be able to come read all these stories about how there's so many others just like her and so many others just like me! what a world

Is there any way to prevent the police from doing those? It's like a tamer version of being SWATed, but people still get killed.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Picnic Princess posted:

Apprently I forgot to block my mother because she just texted me "I'm just reaching out in hopes of getting the family back together" and I have zero interest. Not having to deal with them treating me like poo poo has been wonderful. Amazing. It was great not being called stupid and disappointing for a while. I'd rather keep that up.

Nicest post on the page.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
:sympathy:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Family Ties

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
To a very real extent people are still a product of the culture they grew up in and it is extremely hard to break free from that.

When we were growing up, adults would say things like "everyone is equal", but now I have the feeling that's something they said, not something they believed.

Making bigots keep their hate inside is a real victory, because it helps the next generation not internalize all their bullshit.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 14, 2020

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Batterypowered7 posted:

Isn't there a poster on these very forums whose parents they disappointed by not being a gay, space communist and instead becoming an accountant or some poo poo?

I believe this is Barudak.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

VideoTapir posted:

Okay, clearly something is being left out here.

I think the thinking is something like, "Only white people get called racist, which is discrimination. Black people are the real racists, because they're always calling us racist."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Picnic Princess posted:

At least the husband isn't demanding to be present in the delivery room to ensure she dies of childbirth.

I still don't understand how he could date, romance, and marry a woman he regarded as disposable. How do you even have sex when you think you're starting a 9 month execution?

I guess "Til death do us part" is easier to agree to when you're thinking it's like 5 years away, max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We say that romcoms have a lot to answer for causing broke brains and incels, but I do have to wonder if boomers have it just as bad.

Who do you think wrote all the romcoms?