Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I'd suggest for the OP is including the IPD range for each headset. There's also an extra use case for the Vive Pro if your IPD's over 70mm, as the Vive Pro's goes up to 74mm.

Taintrunner posted:

The PC link mode for Quest is going to have compression artifacts as well as other handicaps to deal with the bandwidth, as well as a lower quality display with less clarity, more god rays and a lower refresh rate. It’s also less comfortable considering it’s got what’s essentially a cellphone crammed into it.

The average person isn't going to know or likely care all that much when they're getting a tradeoff in a device they can unplug and take with them anywhere. If it functionally works well, and it's convenient, there's zero reason to point someone towards a Rift S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cicero posted:

Good OP, I'm pretty sure the Index and Vive Pro both have mechanical IPD adjustment though, not software.

They do indeed. The Cosmos does too, but who really gives a poo poo about it? :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

You're putting a lot of stock into the opinions of Oculus, the company that has a bunch of inventory of the Rift S to sell and Carmack who works for that company. Granted Carmack is usually pretty candid, but he's also an extreme stickler for technical detail and quality in a way most people aren't.

I've tried casting from my PC to my Quest with ALVR, the video stream compressed to 50mbit/s with fixed foveation. Quality at that bitrate was acceptable in most cases and already looked considerably better than my Vive. The Link's datastream is apparently 150mbit/s, almost triple. I get the feeling that most people won't notice.

Most of the people who tried Quest Link could only really see a difference if they swapped headsets immediately after. At a general glance they thought it was perfectly fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Got to see a HTC Cosmos being used at PAX-AUS as a demo unit. Iiiit lost a controller in SteamVR and they'd clearly been repeatedly having trouble with it getting a guy to play Beat Saber. Worked okay intermittently though! :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clitch posted:

It could give VR the second debut to a mass market that it really needs.

It pretty much has since it launched. Facebook's apparently been VERY happy with its sales numbers, as have developers. A few have even said they've had some of their strongest sales on it. Making it tetherable to a PC's only going to push those sales higher, especially if developers start offering cross-buy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think HTC's really trying to make the Cosmos A Thing, because there were several used in PAX-AUS's VR Free-Play area this year. Looked like there might've been tracking issues with all of them sadly, as everyone seemed to be favouring one hand heavily for Job Simulator and tucking the other controller out of tracking range.

To be clear; it looks like it works fine when the tracking wants to behave, it's just that it looks awful prone to misbehaving. There were Rift S's in use everywhere too that were working without issue.

Nektu posted:

Is this based on something or just a general remark?

Pimax is entirely a kickstarted business. It looks to be doing okay, but it's one of those things that if it vanished overnight in a puff of bankruptcy nobody would be surprised.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

That and viveport is the focus right now.

People underestimating it makes sense. And they need some help with focus. But yeah. Thats the goal it seems currently.

If it was about $200-300USD cheaper and the tracking didn't have issues, I think it'd stand an okay chance of competing against the Rift S. As-is... yeah, nah. They're really delusional about stepping to Facebook with it, especially with the Quest being able to tether now. They've got the Cosmos coming and going, for a much better service, product, and price.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ROFLBOT posted:

Remember the level of whining about Rift S tracking when it first came out? So as unsurprising as it is that HTC haters would instantly dismiss the Cosmos as a complete dud, this thread should at least attempt some degree of balance if it is to be an accurate source of info for VR newbies.

Rift S tracking didnt get good until a number of updates had been pushed out, lets see how HTC go now that they are in the same position. The Cosmos at least deserves some information in the OP other than outright dismissal.

And i say this as a Rift S owner. Which brings me onto another point that seems to get overlooked, the Quests sole selling point is freedom from being tethered to a set playing area. Which is great if you have a desktop PC. So what if you have a gaming laptop which these days are easily capable of the CPU/GPU grunt to drive VR?

The Quest doesnt have quite the same advantage when you can already get your VR on instantly anywhere within reach of a power point. Hence me still going for the S despite knowing the Q link was a thing. I think that needs to be pointed out.

I have personally seen the Cosmos in use. Today. Several of them, in fact. All of them had intermittent tracking issues that other headsets did not in the same environment. It's also far more expensive than its competition. This isn't hating on it, the math and facts are simply not in its favour. Even the reviews have consistently been "Well it works okay, sometimes, but why would you get one at this price?"

edit: The Cosmos also use RGB cameras for tracking instead of IR like the Facebook headsets, which apparently makes it harder to track objects and is probably the reason for the over-bright lightbars, so it potentially might not be fixable like the Rift S's was.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 12, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

Even if the tracking is never up to my level of BS play, It should be fine for a ton of other content creation and games.

It really wasn't from watching them in use today. I didn't even set out looking to hate the thing when I saw the Cosmos today at PAX-AUS (I thought it was neat in fact), but it was just very disappointing watching them repeatedly have difficulties they shouldn't have.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 12, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm starting to wonder if thats why influencers haven't been getting em yet.... >_>

They know for sure the first thing I'm doing it booting up Beat Saber. <_<

First one I saw was running Beat Saber. The environment was admittedly a little darker than average (it was out in the main exhibition hall where it's always a little dark), but one of the controllers consistently decided it was done existing in SteamVR after a few moments of use in a relatively-fast song. Walked past the same area later and it looked like it was still having issues. And like I mentioned at the time, the ones out in the Free-play area (which is very well-lit) seemed to have issues of their own; Both stations in question were playing Job Simulator, and the users seemed to be pretty deliberately holding a controller to their chest out of the tracking camera's visibility in an identical fashion. I get that different users have their own foibles and habits with VR, especially newbies, but it looked a little too similar and purposeful. Especially compared to everyone else trying stuff on the Rift S's and PSVR sets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bhodi posted:

Lmao at recommending the quest in the same week that oculus killed modded beat saber, it a thread that also has the same joke title as the actual beat saber thread

Anything modded on a platform that's not a PC should be treated like it can and will be broken at any time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're not happy with the Index; Good news! Varjo's released the VR-2 Enterprise-tier headset!. It's Lighthouse-compatible, has an alternate model with Ultraleap hand tracking, and cheaper than the original at only $4,000USD :v:

Organza Quiz posted:

I do usually scroll past them, yes. I absolutely agree hardware is a huge part of VR, just wondering if there's enough interest to support two different threads for two different aspects. There's probably also people who get their games news elsewhere who just want to dig into the hardware here.

:justpost: about whatever game you want to talk about. The overlap for people in either thread's probably going to be pretty drat-near 1:1.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Inside out tracking is really hard to do well.

There are no less than two examples of camera-based tracking formats to learn from that have existed for years; Oculus Rift and WMR. This is all on them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

WMR is subject to a lot of the same problems as the Cosmos, not as pronounced though. And what, HTC should call up Facebook and ask how their slam works?

No, but you can still look and observe what competitors do to point in the right direction. When theirs are using small dots of light and maintain a long battery life while your R&D team hands you bigass light strips that need a bright room to work, maaaybe there's work to be done. Nevermind the general camera placement.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

Why isn't there a VR game where you play as a 200 foot kaiju wrecking a destructible city and fighting other monsters?

This is an oversight.

VRobot is what you want. It's on Steam and has a free demo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JHVH-1 posted:

I loaded up Gun Club and just did a round of target shooting and then unlocked an AK-47. Decided to go into sandbox mode just to test out attachments and next thing you know an hour goes by just sucking around with stuff. I like how if you mount multiple lasers they angle towards the target. Who doesn’t need a pistol with a hunting scope and 50 round mag or a revolver with an acog and double lasers?

Give H3VR a try, you can slap a grenade launcher or single-shot shotgun on to a handgun :unsmigghh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabbitWizard posted:

I used the Software "4K Video Downloader" to download 360° videos from youtube. I couldn't find a player that can deal with the resulting mp4 for my Rift.
Do I have to download the videos another way?
I'm sure one of you already went through this, any help would be appreciated. Note: I don't want to stream because my internet is poo poo.

I think the SteamVR media player can do 360-degree videos.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Unless you live in a warehouse I'm struggling to think of a situation that doesn't end with one player smacking the other in the face.

Aside from the obvious, most people have trouble laying out space just for a standing setup, letalone roomscale. The percentage who have space for multiple people to set up a viable shared VR space in a home is gonna be such a small subset that it's not even worth considering outside of VRcade-dedicated software.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chin Strap posted:

I've always been really easy to make car sick if I'm not driving too. Has anyone noticed if prolonged VR experience has lessened their overall susceptibility to carsickness?

It absolutely does, yes. Just go slow, stop when you need to and try again when you feel up to it. You'll adapt over time at your own pace.

edit: Misread that as VR-sickness :doh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ralith posted:

I bet there's a way to get the index controllers working concurrently with a pimax HMD.

It's all Lighthouse tech, so they work natively in SteamVR. They even sell Index controllers with the newer Pimaxes due to the delay in getting the Sword ones finished.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ricky Dicky Random is the more fun loadout for Take and Hold, because you never know what guns you'll pull.

I still can't believe I once rolled two Tombstones in a single run. It's a special overly-american 50-cal machinegun that can be held and fired one-handed. And I had AP+Incendiary ammo. Maximum Dakka was achieved that day :orksargh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BMan posted:

the best runs are when you pull the Kolibri

There's an automatic rifle in the weapon pool that fires the sci-fi rounds used by the futuristic handgun and Blade Runner revolver. You will not want anything else with it in your hands.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chin Strap posted:

So how does one play Oculus exclusive games on quest using Virtual Desktop? Do I really need to go VD -> SteamVR -> Revive -> Game?

Just as an fyi, you'll be able to officially tether your Quest to desktop as a proper Oculus PCVR headset via USB3 within a month.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

I also explained that I returned my original Quest because I was very apprehensive about the way they has Virtual Desktop streaming pulled from the official store, and how the Version 9 Developer Mode Nastygram made me feel regarding the giving and takingeth away of features. 3 of the 4 people were Oculus employees so hopefully that gets passed along.

The ratio doesn't matter when the guy at the top actually making the decisions is now someone from Facebook.

That beta testing's still pretty cool to do though. Just out of curiosity, were the cameras just over the regular Rift S ones, or did they stick them up top to replicate the Quest's quartet of sensors?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, have the manufacturing defects on the Knuckle controllers been ironed out completely?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You're forgetting HTC thinks they can somehow step to Oculus on both fronts with the Cosmos.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nalin posted:

I hope you told them that having a fixed IPD and having lovely audio on the Rift S made it a worthless device and that they should be ashamed of themselves that they even bothered to sell it.

That is all on Lenovo, not Oculus. It's literally a case of "Not their Department", lol.

Lenovo's answer to VR development is literally "we licensed the PSVR Headset", and everything they make is derived from it. I sorely want to see a teardown on the Rift S just to see if any of it's lifted directly from the PSVR HMD. Or at least how closely it derives from it still.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Grillo posted:

Yes given the biggest Rift CV1 fault has been the failure of headphones and back strap LEDs due to the ribbon cable in the strap getting too much wear. My original CV1 was effectively bricked after two years because of this :/

Did they ever revise the Oculus Rift to fix that issue, or is it just something they're all doomed to suffer?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Return of the Rottweiners rebuild is up for H3VR! :zombie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H47WTeZ8I8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
H3VR's gotten some nice fixes in already. The internal inventory persists between runs once again! :peanut:

Anton's also fixed the drop rate on the mouldy and red meat cores apparently.

edit:

If you're in the US and want a cheap (VERY) basic entry point into PCVR, apparently Micro Center's flogging the old HP WMR headsets (not the Reverb) for only $130USD.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 27, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think I'm good for gear in this RotR run :shepface:. I had two 100-round drum mags for this thing out of random crates.

Also I highly recommend grabbing some fuel tanks and setting up the traps near the lake and checkpoints. There's a guy near the first Nest in a house in the back corner that'll give you powertools for doing so. A power drill, Chainsaw, and Circular Saw, respectively. The latter two make blissfully-short work of the green Hives.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Breakfast All Day posted:

What movement mode do most people use in H3? They finally added directional stick movement, but it always acts weird with WMR (drift or super uneven speeds in different directions).

Armswinger is a lot of fun, and I think it's the best control scheme. It's also a good workout in RotR or Take and Hold, especially when you get cornered and have to flail like a madman to sprint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Breakfast All Day posted:

I'll give it another try. It just always seems so slow to my quake broken brain.

Make big swinging gestures, like you're actually jogging on the spot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paingod556 posted:

Also Anton figured out a way to make Ubisoft style radio towers not be a lovely game mechanic. Instead of just holding buttons until something goes ding, you have to manually, physically climb up and around the bastards. I actually had fun with that quest.

I loved them too. I also like the ropes and ladders placed everywhere to get up onto higher levels now. The verticality really helps for exploration too in places like the Old Mine.

My only actual complaint with RotR is that the blue hive cores only succumb to a grenade launcher and not improvised explosives.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ralith posted:

Rise of the Rotwieners is cool, but I cannot for the life of me find the second teleporter you need to unlock, which sucks because every attempt is a long walk.

I'll just list them all;

Spork in the Road's is on the roof, use the ladder to reach it. (1 Cell)

Lakeside is atop the hill in the back corner across the lake. (2 Cells)

The Old Mine is waaay the gently caress at the back, on a hill where it's absolutely useless. (3 cells)

Downtown Wienerton is right outside one of the town entrances (4 Cells, load up your Large inventory slots and rush for this first as it's the one you'll use most).

Old Wienerton's is a fair ways in, hug the left path and you'll run into it eventually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ralith posted:

Because at least half the people involved in competitive play are unrepentant assholes, and the people I liked playing with on the team I was on left. Plus playing the same maps for the hundredth time with win/loss coming down to who's ten milliseconds faster on the trigger got old. Teamwork with a cool group of people can make up for that, but...

That's almost exactly as little information as the game itself gave me. Would it kill this game to have a map somewhere, so I at least have more than vague guesses what any of these even are?

Enter the Lakeside area. See the hill behind where the big Hive/Nest thing is across the lake to your right? It's there.

For the Old Mine just hug the right path until you come to an open-ish area with a hill in the center, the ramp up is around the left side of it.

The Wienerton Ruins ones is pretty hard to miss, because it's literally right outside one of the fire-trapped entrances to the Downtown hub area.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Huh - Oculus is making the Link cable's hardware specs available for third parties. I guess because it's fundamentally a standard USB3 interface and optical cable there's not much point in trying to obscure it. Someone'd just make their own anyway before long anyway, may as well make money off it and ensure it's to-spec to get people buying in to using Quests as tethered PC HMD's.

As a bonus though, this should see a general rise in fibre-optic USB cables that actually work to a decent standard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick100 posted:

So I know this might seem like an odd question, but could someone make a virtual "cable" that's a USB connection to transmitter on one side to a USB connection and receiver on the other?

The short answer is "just use WiFi instead" for a bunch of reasons. In the way you're thinking of, at least. The slightly longer answer is it would not be a compact dongle, because it's gotta pair with its partner, encrypt/decrypt, and have an antenna to transmit or receive over a decent distance. Probably on a frequency outside the WiFi band, and only so long as they're pointing at eachother. Your typical wi-fi adapter's a tiny dongle because it's mostly antenna with the device it's plugged into doing the actual heavy lifting.

Truga posted:

that's how the vive wireless works. one side is just a pcie card with a coax cable and antenna attached, the other side plugs into the headset, and when you plug the headset into a battery, windows detects a bunch of usb/audio/video devices.

This is about the size of what you'd be looking at, on both ends of it. On a side-note, I thought people managed to get the Quest streaming wirelessly from PC via Wi-Fi didn't they?

Chin Strap posted:

Is it possible to use Virtual Desktop on the Quest using some sort of USB wifi adapter or wifi card on my PC?

What you're wanting to do is to make an ad-hoc wireless network. Windows 7 does it natively, but you gotta do some command-line work to set one up in Windows 10.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick100 posted:

I've used ALVR and TPCast but would be willing to pay for dedicated hardware to have a better wireless experience than ALVR. In theory it should be a much easier connection than TPCast since the Oculus software is already taking care of most of it, and all I want is to be able to send a bit of USB data with as little latency as possible.

Your hypothetical USB device has to do a lot of work itself that a PC would normally do for a standardized protocol like Wi-Fi because it has to work natively with anything that has a USB3 port and be seen as a generic USB cable.

It's also pretty moot anyway, because it's also gotta draw power to process its signal and broadcast to its partner over a decent distance. That isn't gonna be pretty for the Quest's run time with it sitting in the only USB port it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You can totally move sideways and back with Armswinger. Treat the controls like you're driving a pair of spheres or wheels rather than skiiing and flail accordingly.