Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i got hooked on the sky haven demo, it's pretty solid and i'll pick it up on release to post impressions. i'm not familiar with the breadth of contemporary airport management games though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno if it was posted in this thread so apologies if repost but it's nice how w&r encourages soviet style urban planning, tl;dr try to shove everything residential related into compact, dense districts where everything necessarily for day to day life can be reached on foot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGVBv7svKLo

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

On the topic of mars I watched orbital potato's first episode on per aspera, anyone given that a go? So far it looks like there's a little bit of a skynet simulator going along with the mars colonizing, just wondering how that all pans out

per aspera isn't out for another week. i will pick it up on release. i've played the demo a bunch and it's an easy logistics/factory building game that takes place at planetary scale. i'm waiting to see what other mechanics, like disasters, are in place to disrupt the spinning plates

also, sky haven. it's a bit rough around the edges and there's a lot of trial and error necessary to figure out how to do things, the internal documentation and tooltips are poor. however, it's got a fun hook

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mayveena posted:

Where'd you get the demo for Per aspera?

on steam, it went up and down at random. i downloaded it three different times only for it to be quietly revoked, and then put back up

the basic gameplay is that there are certain resources like silicon, carbon, iron, water, that are mined from the ground. little bots then move these resources to production facilities, like silicon->glass or carbon+iron->steel. the overall impression i get is that over time these basic chains spread over huge portions of the entire martian surface, and there's things like events and disasters to present a challenge. i'm curious to see where it goes but imagine something like anno without any pop needs or complexity, and a non-randomized narrative

overall, i wouldn't call it a must buy. it may be innovative in some ways but at least the content in the demo wasn't groundbreaking. keep an eye on it and wait for first impressions. if you're really interested in a somewhat hard-scifi take on robot colonization of mars at a planetary scale then it may be interesting

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 27, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
empire of sin drops tomorrow and apparently it's just a big mess of systems that don't interact well with each other. please, developers, stop trying to shoehorn tactical combat into management games. pick a genre and stick with it!

sumerians comes out on wednesday and it looks ok, but i'm kind of over impressions-style city builders

i'm absolutely going to pick up ad aspera when it comes out on thursday

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Away all Goats posted:

Is it possible they just weren't aware of Omerta? Why did they basically recreate that game

for some reason developers keep trying to make tactical/management/rpg lite games and all of them since jagged alliance 2 are bad. like if you want to make an xcom clone just do that and focus on that gameplay rather than forcing it into an unhappy marriage with a business clicker. the 'gangster 1920s' setting seems like a slam dunk for this hybrid genre but this and the 'hardbitten mercenary' and 'alien defense force' settings are big traps that require a lot of attention to game design or else you just throw it on the heap of failed and forgotten games. xcom reboot got away with it because the management is minimal and mostly revolves around collecting mana to make better gun, not like a payroll and property acquisition system. it is just awkward and never works, you have to either make a tactical shooter or a management game and not try to split the difference down the middle

of all the things jagged alliance asked the player to do, the money and management bit was the least emphasized part and it was really only there as a constraint for the player, not as the focus of the game. imagine if you had to hire civilians to work the mines of drassen. ugh

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
looks kind of cheap but so long as they don't try to wedge a combat game in there and just make it purely a business sim then it would already be an improvement

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grevlek posted:

I can't imagine. Omerta was either made by Kalypso inhouse, or directly under its umbrella. When it came out it was a huge deal, since it was "Tropico/City Builder Company expands into new game type" hype that Paradox is sort of reusing to be honest. Rather than not being aware of it, I think they are very aware and if they can somehow pivot from 'Grand Strategy to Xcom-Like' they would be succeeding where Kalypso failed.

it was made by haemimont, who at that time had made tropico 3 and was working on tropico 4. if you play one of those tropicos and omerta at the same time you can see how they use the same engine, in fact i think a lot of the limitations of omerta (aside from quick cash-grab game design) is that they were trying to do a tactical shooter in an engine otherwise used for city building games

whether romero games, the developer of empire of sin (yes, THAT romero) was aware of omerta, i can't say. it is such a similar game though, and has such similar flaws that they should have been aware of it. i don't want to play a boring tac shooter in between watered down logistics management! make one or the other of those sides of the game really good and you can cut out the other part!

paradox the publisher is defiintely moving in the same direction kalypso did, trying to be a one stop house for all manner of euro dev strategy games - which have an equal chance of being either pretty good or a janky mess. while my ears perk when i hear about a new game produced by paradox the dev studio, paradox the publisher is real hit and miss for me

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 2, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
all my attempts at stellaris games fizzle out once the very good exploration and colonization early game is over with. the midgame of stable empires and pushing on borders and maintaining mature sectors is dull and i've never dug into the end game. first third of the game is rad as hell though

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ad aspera is pretty cool so far. not for everyone but i dig it. imagine a simpler, more philosophical box-moving sim on mars

KirbyKhan posted:

Horatio is one of my favorite dumb sci fi fiction pieces. Just a dude scheming against himself and loving himself for eternity.

the horatio dating sim was inspired

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

spoilers!

Mayveena posted:

Because I'm too dumb to figure out the game without the campaign and the sandbox doesn't have a tutorial I guess I'm watching silent videos :)

i haven't gotten too far yet but based on the demo playtime

-you just need to build up resources over time basically. like, build a silica mine, build a glass kiln nearby, it will smelt glass, you workers move silica and glass around, you can use that to build solar power arrays, etc.
-with a worker factory and worker hubs you can build more little worker bots to move more boxes of stuff around
-you can't build things too far away from each other
-eventually you will need to build a maintenance drone facility because your buildings degrade over time and can be repaired by drones
-you can also build a scanner which will scan the ground for new resource deposits

that's basically the early game

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
that at least logically tracks because centralized neighborhood heating is super efficient in a dense environment and even proponents of like community steam heating wouldn't advocate running a heat line to some distant outbuilding

it's worth pointing out that, fun fact, NYC still has a legacy steam system in active use. more advanced neighborhood heating systems are common throughout european cities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_steam_system

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 4, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

everyone would have terrible haircuts and 4 arms from a poorly run nuclear plant

this is straight up how the SimCity reboot from ten years ago worked. if the first 50 or so people who showed up to work at the nuke plant weren't qualified for the nuke plant then you were hosed

i like generic allocation of labor as a logistics mechanism but you then can't tie it to educational requirements really unless you're sure to prevent some poo poo like this

also in SimCity poop had pathing AI, and the pathing AI was bad, so poop could get lost in your sewers. awful game

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i for one am ready for the SimTown reboot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRLyvPi7X4c

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

I see that Hammerting finally got that patch that lets you maintain inventory levels for items (auto-craft) and streamlines the dwarf levelling system greatly. Should I pull the trigger now? Those were my main beefs with it in the demo.

i think so, i've been keeping up with the experimental branch and while the game isn't finished and still has some flaws, it is worth picking up if it seems interesting

skooma512 posted:

Instead of bizarre maps with pristine wilderness, but you only get to build on a postage stamp size of it. Every city fills its borders and it's just these densely built patchs in the middle of nothing.

yeah they fatally misjudged what their audience wants in a city builder with that weak rear end region play, and thus the age of simcity came to a close with the rise of the new age, cities: skylines

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

I adored both of these games as a young'un. I'd love a remaster of some sort.

Speaking of games I adored as a young'un did anyone else here play The Movies? That is like my one white whale of a remaster that I've always hoped to see, the management layer of building the studio and finding actors moving through the eras was fun, but I remember having a ton of fun making dumb movies with the clips they gave you too. That was a Lionhead joint so I have to assume it's never going to happen at this point.

it was a janky game with a not-great management layer but yeah The Movies owned. there are sporadic and forgettable reboots from amateur dev studios, it would be great if someone competent could revisit the concept

this one just came out to middling reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFPVxpsInBk

and there is this but no updates since 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Veu0My-2jk

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 17, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zurai posted:

My problem with Skylines—and this is from the very initial release of the game, it may well have changed since—is how linearly curated the game is/was. You have to do X before you get access to mechanic Y, which then gates mechanic Z, etc. And while there were mods to remove that, the problem with that is that the game was very clearly balanced to follow that progression because it wasn't possible to actually balance the budget on a small, starting town with everything unlocked from the start.

skylines is good for what it is as the best current iteration of the SimCity model but i'm over city builders at this time which follow that model, i prefer more economic-focused sims like Workers&Resources over a traffic-focused sim. and there aren't any good political-focused sims but the first good one to come out will be killer

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Someone tried recently, with a game called Urban Empire. Didn’t seem to work, though.

its the kind of thing that would have to rely very hard on emergent decisions derived from interactions of systems, just using branching decisions would be rough

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

Is Hammerting still on the wait-for-it-to-add-more list? It looks extremely my jam, but the videos of it I've seen also make me think there's not a lot of content yet.

i'd say it is still on the "wait and see" tier but rapidly moving towards "solid purchase for the ant farm base building subgenre"

i've gotten my money's worth out of it and i keep picking it back up and putting it down again for want of more to do. there are no real structural problems with the design, some of the UI jank has been ironed out, but as of now you can reach a stable buildout state where there are no real challenges or death spirals to avoid and so you are just digging around the map looking for stuff. i trust the studio to figure it out in a reasonable time frame, and not be stuck in the eternal dev cycle that can happen for small teams building niche games

if you want to buy it now you can get some decent play out of it and check back in later in the year

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

seaborgium posted:

Ok, so that's why my dudes kept standing there. I had a couple die of starvation because I couldn't get them to move, and now I know.

dorfs do get stuck sometimes, especially if you are digging in weird conditions like diagonally up. straight down is dangerous, as they can get stuck in a pit or worse, fall down into a difficult to recover area where you have no connection built

i prefer to build parallel stairs straight down and if i hit a cave with one, i will approach the cave from the side with the other by digging down then across to get visibility on the area

aside from that, the pathfinding is pretty ok

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ShootaBoy posted:

I personally file Stardew, Graveyard Keeper etc, along with stuff like Zomboid and UnReal World as homesteading games, all about working to carve your own space out of nothing. Even though there's all the farming, I don't think of it as being at all like day, the actual Farming Simulator games.

"homesteading game" is a good term for it, and where it intersects with the broader 'management' genre is in time management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
not to complicate the taxonomy further but in my mind there is a tier of

city builder / village builder / base or facility builder

where at the top, the city level, pawns are highly abstracted. in the middle level, you have to care about pawns but not know them personally, and at the lowest level each pawn is a known individual

so for city builders, you would have simcity and skylines obviously. workers and resources would be here also, since the focus is on regional play

tropico sits in between city and village somewhere

village builders would be banished, dawn of man, frostpunk

prison architect sits between village and base

and a pure base builder would be like rimworld or ONI

exceptions carved out for games which are purely about automation like factorio, or games where the activity and movement of pawns is more important than the space they inhabit like two point hospital