Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

slinkimalinki posted:

Fun stuff: for some reason it was considered ok for tour operators to decide for themselves whether it was safe to go to the privately owned active volcano. Now two employees and 11 customers are dead, 27 of the survivors are in critical condition with severe burns, people who assisted with the rescue describe helping victims who had burns to their tongues and eyeballs, all burns units in NZ are full, a criminal investigation has been launched, a Worksafe NZ investigation has been launched...

Even more fun thing: the company running the tours won an award for Safest Place to Work (small business category) NZ last year https://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/118090485/white-island-tours-crowned-with-health-and-safety-award-12-months-ago . Based on, I guess, their focus on people wearing closed toed shoes while touring the crater of a constantly erupting active volcano.

That's not very fun at all :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

MisterOblivious posted:

But seriously OSHA: I spent many months, during multiple years, healing from falls before I found out you can put carbide studs on bicycle tires. Holy poo poo they're expensive! But "not having cracked ribs for 6 months" is worth the money!

I don't know if y'all have ever cracked ribs but it's a whole helluva lot bigger injury than you think. There's literally *nothing* a doctor can do for you. It's not like the fluff books I read. It's just several months of pain. The only thing a doctor can do is *maybe* lower the pain, and probably make it last longer.

$120-200+ is cheap for a set for a set a bicycle tires in comparison.

Why not just get a set of normal studded tires for like 30 bucks?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

MisterOblivious posted:

There are no such things. Period.

No? Ok. There's a lot of it in stores here in Sweden and seemingly everywhere online. If you have super special tire dimensions perhaps it's expensive, idk.

OSHA content?: someone butchered an elk right by my running path. I now know that an elk stomach smells like human puke.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 29, 2019

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Yeah goddamn. Is this a serious post?

Artisinal pigs only need sunlight, don't you know?

E: gently caress me what a bad snipe. Have swedish OSHA as compensation.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/norrbotten/nordkalkolyckan-i-klockslag

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 29, 2019

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Moto42 posted:

95% of the time when someone says 'real pyrex' they are saying 'real' to refer to the old-school good stuff that you can only find in laboratory equipment these days.

Just import it from the EU, where pyrex is still borosilicate.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

schmug posted:

so inertia is no longer a part of physics?

Nope, just regular old ertia.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

RandomPauI posted:

And if your mouth is by your genitals you have something else going on.

Are teeth stored in the balls???

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Also being a solo kid on flights was nice cause they'd give me way too many cans of coke and playing cards all the time.

I grew up as The Child on international long hauls to various (back then) obscure places. The stewards going "Hey kids, want to go say hi to the Captain"? was awesome but is also forever gone. It was probably for the best after that Russian kid crashed and killed everyone on board though.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 18, 2020

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

tangy yet delightful posted:

Another problem as I understand it with that type of thing (getting in very deep water for any length of time) is that the various seals for non engine stuff like axles, wheel hubs, suspension, those seals aren't meant to hold back water pressure from the outside so you're likely to end up with failures in other components after the fact.

One of those probably fine in the moment things if you're in an emergency situation but lol at this person obviously just doing this poo poo for fun "because they have a snorkel" and then getting hosed for their hubris.

I love it when tools who think "snorkel, cool" fail to realize that in order to avoid car boat one has to open the door and let the water in.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

I don't think model railways are covered by OSHA.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

So your fresh water supply is truck-based? :psyduck:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Potential BFF posted:

Sperm whales can click at something like 230 decibels which is pretty crazy and probably detrimental to the health of anything nearby.

They also do not have any shielding between themselves and the water, so up close you get a full dose of sperm whale and die.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Person, woman, man, camera, TV

what if ...road?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

almost like it is a toy :ssh:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Those poor axes eating so much dirt :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

That's very true, but there are also mushrooms that don't have an easily confused counterpart. Morels are a good example. That said, I wouldn't pick other mushrooms without being taught in person first even though my local mushroom ID book makes it look pretty straightforward.

I've never understood how people misstake destroying angels and any type of Agaricus :shrug:. Sure, both are white, but if colour is all you understand of mushrooms you have no business picking any of them. Agaricus have a very distinct smell and taste as well as non-white lamella underneath the cap. Destroying angels smell like most non-edible mushrooms and are white everywhere. Also don't grow in most places Agaricus do. Or in circles.

Shrooms are a land of contrast, I guess.