Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Got to see an old friend today that I haven't seen in over a year :feelsgood:
My one year old daughter took to him like a fish to water :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

T-Square posted:

Are kids normally the walking biological weapons that my one year old niece apparently is? drat near every time I've stopped over at my parents over the last year, my mom or dad or both are sick from baby-sitting, and both were sick this weekend when we were out of town. My girlfriend told me my mom made a FB post apologizing to anyone she got sick, so I texted my sister and she texted back a long-rear end list of people that the fuckin' kid got sick over Thanksgiving.

No.
Thank.
You.

My one year old ain't got poo poo.
Then again we don't send her to daycare, so...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My son got me with the old tape around the sink sprayer trick this morning.

Luckily it was before he went to school so I was able to pour a glass of cold water down his back while he was putting his shoes on :v:

This is fantastic. My one year old steals my (room temp) coffee and pours it on herself.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
That's rad as hell.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Am I the only person still disappointed in the Cybertruck's name? I mean it's a missed opportunity.

It should have been the Electruck.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
What rear end in a top hat thought it was a good idea to replace the creme filling in Oreos with toothpaste?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Seat Safety Switch posted:

People got super pissed off here when they reduced the blood alcohol limit for DUI from 0.08 to 0.05.

I mean... that's pretty ridiculous though.
That's like 4oz of 5% beer after 2 hours.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Geoj posted:

You may want to rethink the latter half of that statement.

I heard this on NPR.
Apparently Massachusetts literally had rats nesting in a machine and had interns with literally no technical experience or knowledge "calibrate" machines.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I don't even know why anyone would go out, have ONE beer and then drive home. Just have a loving mocktail and actually enjoy something tasty... Or just leave your car at home and get a cab so you can get wrecked without fear of getting fisted by the law or just being that oval office that risks having a few and drives anyway because "I'm not drunk".

Also UK peeps, voting day.

I like to swing by the beer store on the way home and get my growlers filled.
Beers on tap are constantly changing so, I like to taste a few things to find out what I want before I buy them.
Say I taste a half dozen beers out of the 36 taps. That's somewhere near 3oz total. It's not a significant amount, but its not nothing.
Sometimes I'll order a full beer and hang out for a bit and talk beers with the staff, or meet a coworker there and chill for an hour while traffic dies down.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

trouser chili posted:

It came out!

This isn't real.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm guessing 1967 was especially big; these are ads disguised as stories

I hope someone buys you a microfilm viewer.

OH poo poo! There's actually one for sale on my local CL.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/d/manassas-high-magnification-northwest/7024113314.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
awwww yissssssssss

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slidebite posted:

Could use some hive mind advice.

So, I am 95% sure a 17-18 year old young woman in my martial arts class has a crush on me. I can get into the how I know if needed, but suffice to say I am pretty confident.

I am pretty sure I know why - I talk to her like an adult and joke a bit. In other words, pay attention to her treat her like the young adult she is and not a child.

Her parents are not young considering her age (if I had to guess, early/mid 60s?) and seem fairly protective. I think she may be fairly sheltered (I know she lives on an acreage outside of town) and doesn't get out tons. I wouldn't be surprised if she might have a bit of a thing for older men because of her fathers age.. but that's just a total guess. I am in my mid 40s. And married, which I am pretty sure she knows.

Should I just let it run its course and let her grow out of it totally on her own and continue as normal? Or should I maybe actively avoid interacting with her unless necessary?

I don't want actively shun her or anything, it's not like she's done anything outwardly wrong or made anything awkward in class. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't either, she's a good person and quite mature, but I certainly don't want her to think I can reciprocate anything.

I'm leaning towards to just keep going as normal and let her grow out of it on her own, but maybe make sure I'm not saying/doing anything that could easily be taken as some other signal... which is kind of what I've been doing all along but maybe be extra careful?

Thoughts? I've never been is a position like this before. Should I even care?

Let it run it's course. If anything you're probably helping to keep other dudes her age out of her pants.
Just be sure to cover your rear end of course. Always have a witness.
Don't be weird. Don't be creepy. Don't bring it up. If she tries anything, shut it the gently caress down right then and there.

Also, don't break her heart because it's martial arts class and she might give you a swift kick to the nuts.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
my F150 has an electronic parking brake
It's fine I guess because it's not like I was gonna mash the parking brake pedal to pull a sweet drift anyway.

I do still go to stomp the parking brake sometimes and almost fall out of my seat before I realize it's a button.
Then again I do that for the clutch pedal that doesn't exist too... I haven't had a clutch pedal in like 9 years.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

opengl128 posted:

Also manuel transmissions have been around longer than I thought.

:ese:

Re: quitting smoking. I can't really speak to the quitting aspect so much because I quit for like a year before I started vaping but the harm reduction is very real.

I just picked up a Uwell Caliburn for convenience. It's pocket sized, only slightly larger than a juul and oh my god it is like a million timed better than the Smok Fit I had. It's considerably better than the Sourin Drop too.
Here's hoping this one doesn't go tits up after a few weeks. At least the refillable pods are WAYYYY better constructed than anything I've used so far.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

T-Square posted:

I also quit for a while before I started vaping, first it was a Juul, and then it was one of those NJoy pod thingies, both because Kwik Trip and Walgreens had both of them for like 85% off respectively at one point. I stopped for the most part because I'm still scared of them causing health issues, but gently caress if I can't resist stealing my friend's every time I get a few drinks in me. And then immediately regret it the morning after when my throats all gunked up.

I quit smoking 10 years before Juul was a thing so it was a bit different for me.
We were building vapes out of anything and everything we could get out hands on and making juice from of and vg before it was even available from China.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

There's a fiber trunk line running across my back yard.

I cannot get FTTH, just FTTN at 10 down and 1 up for around $50/m, with a bandwidth quota.

This is why I am a cable internet customer, because it's $50/m for unmetered 250/25.

I was paying Comcast almost $200/month for basic TV and gig internet just so I could get over 10 up. It was a painful first 2 years in my new house.
Verizon finally swooped in and installed their fiber and I switched the first day I could.
Now I have symmetrical gig speeds and I'm saving $80/month.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NitroSpazzz posted:

poo poo man it just keeps coming. Hopefully the end of new things and is near for you two. It'll get better :glomp:

I work in IT and deal with some security stuff....IOT scares the hell out of me.

I also work in IT and I guess my view is a bit more pessimistic / nihilistic than most?
I mean I love IOT things (to some extent) but there ain't no loving way I'm going to put them on the same network as any of my other devices.
I grew up with the assumption that the government is always listening, so just replace "government" with "private company" and what's the difference? Except of course one of those two is going to be much less responsible with my data and try to sell me crap.
I have a camera at my front door so I can discern solicitors from friends, and hopefully catch porch pirates in the act. I have a google home so I don't have to get up to turn off my smart lightbulbs or smart switches, or cast music to my chromecasts. I have 2 google homes so I can broadcast messages to my wife without having to yell at the top of my lungs. I have a nest thermostat because it's cool and actually convenient and has surprisingly saved me a little bit of money.
All of these are on a physically-separate wifi network that doesn't touch anything else on my secure network until it gets to my edge firewall.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slothrop posted:

well, it could be worse. He could be really into Street Sharks and be saying "Jawsome"
You take that back.
Street Sharks are loving rad.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ExplodingSims posted:

So pro-tip, if you don't trust your instincts. don't do something that seems like a bad idea

Had a call today that involved getting up onto a greasy, steel slanted roof in the rain. Tried to set up as safely as I could, and took on step on the roof before I knew there was no way I could do it.
Went to get back down, slipped, and had the ladder slide out too.

Only ended up falling like 8' or so, but landed on a wood deck and the ladder. Didn't break anything, but my wrist hurts like a mofo, and I got a brace on now.

Falling off a roof sucks, but it sucks a lot less when you're young.
I used to sled off the garage roof with a 10' drop. Busted my tailbone a couple times. No problem.
I fell backwards off the top of the chimney 40' flat on my back in the yard and cracked a bunch of ribs. I was like 15 and went to school the next day.

Now if I stub my toe I feel like that warrants taking sick leave.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 20, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

taqueso posted:

You need a snack supply so you don't have to trek all the way to kitchen if you are in the opposite end of the garage.

I had a pantry but I just wound up using it for carb storage. I replaced it with a fire safe cabinet for gas canisters. I built a loft for the bedroom and replaced the bedroom with a walk in fridge.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well I'm out of Haig now so...

1l each, going to get hosed up.

Just mix them together.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://jalopnik.com/this-chop-top-hot-rod-saturn-was-built-with-1-500-and-1832958785/amp

STR you should have kept the Saturd.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

That is a great story.

Also I'm the empty gas tank.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ilkhan posted:

I wear Duluth. The grouch gusset really is magic for being show to move around like Levi's never could

I've got a cousin who's teenagers are wearing 28x34 and 29x36 iirc. Both are HS lacrosse players, and like 6'4"-6'5" twigs. The shorter one is a freshman.

28x34 crew checking in!

At least that's what I was when I was a mechanic. I'm 33' now =/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Of the five, Tomato and Hollandaise are the only ones that don't start with a roux
Besides those, if you can master a good roux you're like 75% of the way to making whatever the gently caress you want.

Hollandaise is my favorite of them all because it involves eggs.
I love eggs. My instagram is like 50% eggs and hotdogs. the other 50% is beer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
God DAMNIT a door latch just caught my rain jacket and ripped a hole in it and I am salty as gently caress about it.
It was basically brand new.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

angryrobots posted:

Was doing some year end budget assessment, and I think I will be able to max my 401k next year for the first time. Will be a little tight but I can give it a shot for a few pay periods and see how it goes and adjust it down if necessary.. My wife getting a real job (well, with a national company and not a local small biz) and being able to pick up the kids health insurance was a HUGE benefit for us this year. I paid more for them in 4 months than her premiums in total including herself for the remainder of 2019.

:guillotine: I know

Good for you. I'm just lucky my raises have just barely kept up with my expenditures. Mostly because my wife isn't working half as much as she used to and we have a kid now, but also because I'm trying to pay down recently incurred debt on top of maintaining my standard of living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Happy New Years from the East Coast US!
I'd post this in half an hour but I have chicken stock that needs to make it's way to the fridge and a half of an imperial stout that needs finishing before I crawl into the sack at 12:01.