Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:siren::siren::siren: BOTH NIGHTS of Rizin/Bellator's New Years Event will count for 2020 as I’ll be traveling during that event's airing so can’t update the form. Sorry :siren::siren::siren:

Voting will close on January 10th and the results will be posted on the 11th.

2019 has come to an end and we are due to perform our voting for the year. Below you will find two links.

The first is a repository of clips & explanations curated by Digital Jedi to assist in our voting.

Digital Jedi posted:

I have been working on a project for this thread.

At the end of the year when we vote for each category everyone has a hard time between choosing what is available. Mainly cause so much poo poo happens it is hard remember every little thing.

I created a google sheet containing in category and every submission from this thread. I'm aiming to have videos (Full fights, full rounds, or highlights) of everything possible. I believe this will help so much at the end of the year that you can rewatch everything!

Here is the sheet. Comments are enabled. If anyone has any suggesting to improve it I am open to anything. Currently I have tabs for each category but I do plan on making one master tab with everything broken down.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a8ihHqq4WFd-tvw09zgtWoJczKO-qbQ2LPQPhO-WODc/edit?usp=sharing

I still have a few more things to add to it but I'm trying to keep it updated as best as I can.

Here you will find the voting form using all the categories as listed below. Please remember to include your username.

https://forms.gle/Nj2cu6WgMM7x5Yji9

Fight of the Year
Knockout of the Year
Submission of the Year
Performance of the year
2019's Fights Where We, The Viewer are the Winner (Honorable Mention Fights of the Year)
Round of the Year
Upset of the Year
Comeback of the Year
Event of the Year
Worst Event of the Year
Worst Fight of the Year
The Gilbert Yvel Award for Foul of the Year
The Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence
The Cecil Peoples Award for Bad Judging
The Edmund Tarverdyan Catchall Coaching, Cornering, and Gameplanning Incompetence Award
Edmund Tarvedyan's Head Movement Award for Best Schadenfreude
The Joe Silva Baby Come Back Award for Questionable Booking
Joe Silva Brainfart Award for Worst Booking Decision
The Jon Jones Award for Self Destruction(Worst Career Move)
The Kimbo vs DADA 5000 Memorial Award for Comedy in MMA
The Touch Butt In the Park Award for Best Insult/Trash Talk Line
Jeff Monson's gently caress For Free Worst MMA Hype
Fighter of the Year
Favorite Fighter
Breakout Fighter of the Year
Most Improved
Best Division
Most Overhyped/Underperformed
Best Social Media Presence

Don't forget to vote for the Best of the Decade here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907809&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post501043577

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
so this is what its like to get usurped

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Coup detats are cool.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chael put out a decent vid counting down the top 5 lines from UFC guys this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLcnD_x3Vf4

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Chael put out a decent vid counting down the top 5 lines from UFC guys this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLcnD_x3Vf4

I lost it when he said "Bisping, Australia"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
If I'm missing anything from my spreadsheet let me know and I'll add it or fix any mistakes

Hope it helps out everyone!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I realize this hadn't been mentioned in the best of the year thread, and as a result, some of it won't be voted for since Mekchu made a lot of categories have fixed choices, but as the year has coalesced and I've looked back, I wanna talk about some stuff.

Volkanovski vs Holloway is a top level Performance of the year. Dude out-struck the taller opponent and didn't even do it like Poirier did, with overwhelming power. Alex just had a great gameplan and technique and executed it very well.

Also, for subs of the year, it got mentioned as the lone Performance of the Year candidate, but Oliveira's anaconda on Teymur was pretty loving slick.

I'd maybe consider Stipe vs Cormier for a Comeback award. He was arguably down in that fight until he started unloading those lefts to the body.

Geoff Neal vs Perry is also something I'd consider for Performance of the Year. Nobody's just come out and smashed Perry that thoroughly/quickly.

It's really hard to vote since we only get one option, instead of the 1st/2nd/3rd place like in years past, so I've been thinking over a lot of my choices more.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apologies if I made a mistake with how to do the voting etc. I should have looked more into how things were done in the past :smith:

Multiple choice made the most sense but in hindsight it seems like a poor choice.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Every single fight nominated for an award throughout the year should be worth watching for one reason or another, the categories are just for easy sorting if you're looking for something specific. We should be preserving the entire nomination list for each year, I don't really care about the votes themselves but maybe someone does.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mekchu posted:

Apologies if I made a mistake with how to do the voting etc. I should have looked more into how things were done in the past :smith:

Multiple choice made the most sense but in hindsight it seems like a poor choice.

Doing 1st/2nd/3rd place for the bulk of the categories is kinda helpful for the voters, but it suuuuuuuuucks when it comes to tallying votes, so I fully understand just doing one vote per category

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I feel like comeback of the year has to be Overeem vs. Rozenstruik, other than Yair/TKZ I can't think of a single fight that flipped with that little time left

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will look into allowing a write in answer for stuff that didnt get nominated earlier in the year

Edit - Apparently I can't do that. Also I just realized yeah the stuff that was light on nominees had write ins so that's a thing. I'll probably defer the 2020 vote form etc to MobsterLobster or whoever as I have made more mistakes with it than intended.

Brut posted:

Every single fight nominated for an award throughout the year should be worth watching for one reason or another, the categories are just for easy sorting if you're looking for something specific. We should be preserving the entire nomination list for each year, I don't really care about the votes themselves but maybe someone does.

This is good and I've made a copy of DigitalJedi's google spreadsheet for that reason. It would be cool to have a "let's rewatch X match" or whatever now that MMA has some longevity to it (and this was what I wanted the old UFC Fight Pass thread to be) but that seems to be hard to get a lot of goons talking about.

Digital Jedi also made a cool "Random Fight Suggestor" for Fightpass as well which I duplicated in case that ever goes away. Maybe I can add them back into the UFC thread OPs but it didn't seem like most people cared for that as nobody ever mentioned the suggested fight of the month.

Power of Pecota posted:

I feel like comeback of the year has to be Overeem vs. Rozenstruik, other than Yair/TKZ I can't think of a single fight that flipped with that little time left

Those two are arguably the best contenders for that award throughout the whole year for pretty much the same reason. I think Yair/TKZ wins because it was the final second and it was a single strike KO where as Rozenstruik I think was a series of strikes that led to the finish.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 1, 2020

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mekchu posted:

I think Yair/TKZ wins because it was the final second and it was a single strike KO where as Rozenstruik I think was a series of strikes that led to the finish.

I would be right there with you if Yair/TKZ didn't happen in November 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah crap youre right. My mistake

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mekchu posted:

Digital Jedi also made a cool "Random Fight Suggestor" for Fightpass as well which I duplicated in case that ever goes away. Maybe I can add them back into the UFC thread OPs but it didn't seem like most people cared for that as nobody ever mentioned the suggested fight of the month.

I think I suggested I wish Fightpass had this on there but I didn't make anything. But my memory is poo poo so maybe I did?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made the random fight suggestor from a google sheet that scraped wikipedia's XML but I need to remake it

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh sorry for the mistake, I just assumed the two Goon spreadsheets were done by the same person.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I pooped today I voted

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Poll is closing on Saturday so get your votes in if you haven't already.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Got my entries in, thanks to Digital Jedi for their very handy Spreadsheet that I referred to along with my own submissions in the Best & Worst of MMA 2019 thread.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is currently 10pm GMT+9. I will leave the thread open until around 12pm GMT+9 (14 hours from now) and tally the votes before announcing the winners.

This is your last chance to get votes in.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

What the gently caress, why isn't the Battle of the Juiceboxes on fight of the year?

Costa v Romero was dope!

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 10, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrotherJayne posted:

What the gently caress, why isn't the Battle of the Juiceboxes on fight of the year?

Costa v Romero was dope!

Because nobody nominated it during the course of 2019?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mekchu posted:

Because nobody nominated it during the course of 2019?

HOW

I shoulda been there... I shoulda beeeeen there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Results of the 2019 votes are here -

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910663