Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac loves special features.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

This trick also works when your partner climbs out from under a huge blanket on the couch then complains the house is freezing.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

God bless this comic in panel 2, so committed to the window gag he forced the speaking character's face out of the frame AND left the entire middle completely empty.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Even if D2WO4 doesn't catch on with you, everyone should go read Fun Home. It was one of those I blitzed through in a day, woke up the next morning and read cover to cover again. Highly recommended.

The follow-up about her mom, not so much, though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always walk street-side under the assumption that if someone is going to get hit by a runaway car, I'd rather increase the likelihood it's just me than my wife or kids.

That or puddle splashes.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

It's amusing to see these back to back, like seeing the artist discover in real time the gag works better without any of the dialog.

Archyduchess posted:

One thing that's almost kind of comforting about these is how acute Bechdel's rage and despair at the trajectory of American politics is throughout these. I mean, it's super depressing that we can trace where that trajectory leads us, but it's also somewhat nice to have a sense of continuity. She becomes a little more caustic and self-aware about it when she introduces Mo but we see a bit of it here with the recurrent theme of being terrified of Reagan's nuclear brinksmanship, which carries over to her attitude towards Bush I in the Middle East.

This kind of makes me want to go scan a bunch of Nixon/Reagan era Life in Hell, but it would probably be a huge bummer.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

A rare actual laugh out loud at work. I feel like every slightly overpushed pun and elevator gag has been building to this comic's confrontational eye contact.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sorry, sorry I'm trying to delete it. I'm not sure why it isn't deleting.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I mean, come on it's not THAT bad if you consider it's written to be performed by high schoolers.

nevermind lmao

e: also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC1CyJCl24A

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 22, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lol women aren't that complex

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

I hate the trope of "women are so mysterious and complex how can any man possibly ever hope to understand them!!!!!!!"

We're loving human beings, you rubes. We're just neurotic apes, same as men. We're the same goddamn species.

A boy becomes a man the day he realizes all the things he wants from a woman, she generally wants back from him just as badly. That's 90% of it. The rest is mostly believing them when they say, "yes, just not from YOU specifically."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's not what ghosting is.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Homer dreaming about Zitz mom.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The slot machine one has a serious, "George Washington didn't know dinosaurs existed," energy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

She is really bad at covering her alcoholism tracks. But I guess she is just a teenager, so she hasn't learned how yet.

In real life this would just be a friendly flirty conversation between two college kids. But this is Luann, so Tiff flirting with a gentleman to whom she is not married is evidence of irrevocable sluttitude. Punishment will surely be arriving soon.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a major medical problem and not that Team Evans were trying to draw a man with a handsome roguish smirk. That said, I'm sure that if Kip Lee is concerned about his health, he will have no problem obtaining an accurate diagnosis from a competent and compassionate physician, seeing as how he's a handsome and healthy young man and not an ailing older woman with a lengthy list of legit symptoms.

I sincerely pray this entire arc is about the star QB having a potassium deficiency.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One of the things I find endlessly charming about A+J is how the Sunday strips totally dispense with the whole, "disposable top third" thing. Jimmy doesn't even bother, like, "why do a third more work for a third fewer people and waste a gag I could spin off into a daily?"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That Dustin has some weird chunky line work going on, and I blame this thread for my even noticing it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's funny because millennials are turning 40 and currently make up 50% of the workforce.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Post office jokes drive me up the wall. The USPS is a drat miracle if you think about it for even a second and every person I've ever encountered working the desk is polite and helpful.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Here's a smallish box. Anything you can shove in there, we'll put on the other side of the country in 3 days. Costs $8.

How do we keep costs low? We are legally prohibited from turning a profit.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you had a step-dad in the 90s, there's a 100% chance they drank coffee every morning out of a Far Side mug.

My step-dad's was, "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
People are defensive about kids learning cursive because curriculums dropping it now implies they all wasted their time learning it back in the day.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Looks Charles Bronson-ish.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I thought I remembered this C+H storyline being about a bird. Am I mixing something up, or did he actually do this basic idea twice?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The_Other posted:

You're thinking of this one:

Yep, that's the one. Thanks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Savidudeosoo posted:

Family Circus is like, propaganda meant to stop us from having children? Right?

Just a little glimpse into the hell that could be?

As a kid-haver, I can see how a person would see it this way. But the actual audience for FC is parents with older kids, looking back on a time their kids were small (and all that entails, for better or worse).

The kids doing cute stuff, malaprops, being assholes to each other, misunderstanding the adult world ... it's all stuff real kids do and it triggers a lot of, "Oh I remember when my kid did something a lot like that, how did I ever forget that happened!?"

Even that one, the house is a mess, mom's frazzled, but nobody is angry. And every cousin's birthday I drive my kids to, we spend half the ride back talking about whose birthday is next and when it is, and where it's going to be. And I know we're like, 5-6 years from all the cousins being old enough to outgrow being excited over cake and cousins and $10 presents. But in the FC universe, the kids are always that age. And the comic isn't GOOD, it doesn't ever hit, but it's very good at pulling parents' heartstrings even where you think there aren't any.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

I also want to throw this out there: I think the time for a comic strip gang tang is well overdue

(I have no idea how big those are supposed to be or can be, I just stole one and worked over it.)

Also, I'm sitting at work with nothing to do today, so anyone with ideas and no photoshop access shout them out.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 9, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alternate title, "Mark Trail's Troubled Children."

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 9, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

but the important thing is, I'm amused

Listen, what else are we even here for?

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 9, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

If this could slide in from the right, I think it'd be parfait.

Edit: Also, ^^^ how dare you

e: slight timing change?

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 9, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to make a keypad kid one in the morning and then be done.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, here's the ones I did and enjoy, anyone feel free to steal them as jumping off points. If someone wants to get wacky with the seagull, PM me and I can send you the PSD. Busy work today so this is probably it for me. I did get the pause in there, at least. A couple of them are too wide, and I'd fix them if I thought people wanted to use them, but I'm dubious.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SnotGrumble posted:

Has anyone considered a Cul de Sac tag to honor the late, great, Richard Thompson?

I loved this panel when it was posted, but I'm not sure it plays at this size.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If we can think of fun text to go next to Neato bird, I think that will work better than jamming in a random other face.

"COMIX R" neat-o or something less lovely.

Otherwise, this is genuinely my second favorite. I laugh every time I think about it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
By popular demand:

And I cheated the height to 75 px because I wanted to:

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 11, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Use this one, I made the shaking more lit (ie faster).

And obviously I want it. :)

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

If there's still time, can you make it so it starts shaking right when "lit" appears? I think that'd be a neat effect, the pause is kinda weird.

e: either way please tag me. I don't even know how long I've been hanging in and around these threads.

I changed the above ones, because I am a slave to iteration and feedback (and I like your way better).