Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I wish the Greek Pantheon was real and he was tortured by some poetic torture based on his hypocrisy forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Unbelievably infuriating garbage, how does a functioning human produce this sequence of trash

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Times like these that I wish hell were real

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is there a Blind Squirrel award?

fuckin should be, what is going on

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Cum pass or pants on the ground

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Actual hell; having a brief, fleeting moment of self-awareness, and being completely unable to escape the strip

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Katt posted:

Romney deserves a smidgen of respect for sacrificing his political career on the alien concept of "principles"

At 72 years of age he will never live to see the republican party distance itself from the age of Trump and so reap any rewards from it.

However Trump is not an anomaly. Trump is not even the problem. Trump is just a symptom of the road the Republican party has been on for something like 40 years now.

He's going in the history books, it's not like he was going to do anything anyway. It's still purely selfish, he's just looking ahead a little further than "will Trump make fun of me on twitter"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is just a photo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Worst person etc

Thanks for collating all these

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Calvin and Hobbes is why I like comics/cartoons and also why I hate them

It was too good

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

T-man posted:

have you tried webcomics

<--- click here for a pro-read

hail satan

I don't think anyone here who's been on the internet for twenty years escaped the early 2000s without a shameful folder of webcomic bookmarks

Why in God's name would we be looking at political cartoons still, the disease is inside us

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

"... and that's why I always vote Republican!"

I hate this loving bastard so much

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mountain of coronavirus

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

What?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I am not talking about Biden. I didn't vote for Biden. I don't like Biden. I explained this already. Stop deliberately avoiding my point, which is that Bors has lovely :smuggo: tendencies to attack his own side far more viciously than he attacks the right because he is, in the end, a dumb and smug man like Ted Rall.

Responding to "GOP delenda est" with "B-but Democrats are bad because X" is not going to help anything even if its true. The Bolsheviks didn't win the Revolution by purging the left and center before the Tsar.

So pointing out that Biden is a rapist is unacceptable under any circumstances, got it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I am not talking about Biden. I didn't vote for Biden. I don't like Biden. I explained this already. Stop deliberately avoiding my point, which is that Bors has lovely :smuggo: tendencies to attack his own side far more viciously than he attacks the right because he is, in the end, a dumb and smug man like Ted Rall.

Responding to "GOP delenda est" with "B-but Democrats are bad because X" is not going to help anything even if its true. The Bolsheviks didn't win the Revolution by purging the left and center before the Tsar.

This is literally the comic that sparked this discussion. There is no other interpretation of your attack on Bors, here. You're upset that he's pointing out that Biden is a rapist and the Democrats defending him are hypocrites.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I'm on the record as finding Bors obnoxious about attacking his own side instead of the right many times. This is just the first time someone edited his cartoons in a way I agree with. The relation to Biden is unfortunate coincidence.

It's not a coincidence. It's literally the comic that started the discussion. You saw the comic and responded with frustration. This is just cause and effect.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Joe Biden sucks and Bors is a disingenuous hack who's rapidly becoming Ted Rall 2.0. The end. No moral.

What is your specific problem with that cartoon that prompted you to spew this garbage take

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

It's not this particular cartoon it's his whole body of worse since he decided all he'd ever draw is his stupid Mad Max world bullshit. His one refrain is that the Democrats en bloc are incompetent worthless ninnies who don't deserve support. I'm just loving sick of it and have been saying so for the last year or so.

"I love my dog, look at how cute he is!"

"God I loving hate dogs, they're all disgusting. Eugh. Jesus, they sicken me."

"What the hell, what's wrong with my dog?"

"Oh nothing your dog is lovely, what I was saying has nothing to do with your dog. It's just coincidental. I don't think your dog is a nasty little rat at all."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Vincent's able to maintain a mental distinction between Biden and Trump, as well as between Democrats and Republicans, as well as between neoliberals and conservatives. Attacks that rabidly attempt to conflate all participation in political systems as moral compromise are self-defeating narcissism- which is the point of the prior Bors cartoon.

The world is more than an undifferentiated swarm of child-killing rapist neolibfashcons arrayed against your pristine personal mental politic.

If you're not actually responding to the content of:

If you need to make it about Biden or rape, then you're not responding to Vincent- you're the privileged contrarian in the well.

Did you people all spontaneously forget this entire conversation was launched from a specific, particular cartoon, of which Biden and hypocritical Democrats specifically were being criticized in a concrete manner on a topic they are empirically being massively hypocritical over, in an eminently reasonable and straightforward way

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

No, you want it to be about that, like the contrarian wants the protester's statement to be refuted because they exhale carbon. You attacked Vincent for the phrase "Thanks for this. Really.", and since then have ignored several posts where he lays out his position, repeatedly, in detail. Respond to what they're actually saying, not the projection of your fears and insecurities.

I dunno what to tell you man, the thing he was thanking the other guy for was posted in a quote response to the cartoon we've all been talking about. There's been a lot of obvious backpedaling but it's not really gonna work.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not backpedaling! It's the actual position! Everyone is not your secret posting enemy! You do not need to check every person at the environment march for plastic bottles!

I guess people are posting and quoting political cartoons in this thread for no reason, and that quotes aren't a direct response to the things that we're quoting. It's my sincere hope that the true recipient of this post understands and receives my missive.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

One of them is a murderer

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Wasn't the author of this one actively going through brain cancer?

Frontotemporal dementia

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Post poste posted:

Goddamn this is so much -A Black Lady - A Wyatt Man poo poo

*newly unemployed, not let out of jail

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Bennett in a rare return to form.

Lmfao holy poo poo this fuckin owns

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

loving lamo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

He could've made this an unironic good point if he had just, like, referred to the ad blitz he promised, and not the actual good thing which is paying off the poll taxes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cops charging pedestrians, including people eating at a restaurant outside

https://twitter.com/AndyJ0seph/status/1310039203212701697?s=20

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

If Mitch has the numbers that's it. What the hell do they want the dems in the senate to do? Physically locke the room and set it on fire to delay the vote by 4 months?

There's a ton of stupid archaic rules that let you do a lot of stalling and loving around, but it's considered rude so that's out

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They only work insofar as Mitch McConnell can't immediately muster 50+Pence votes to overturn them. It only takes 51 votes to change the rules; if you have 51 votes to do what you want, you get to do what you want.

Sure, but make them loving do it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

You are complaining about your own ignorance of legislative history and process.

The democrats have not had the same degree of power as the Republicans gained in 2016 in our collective lifetimes. No, having a Lieberman-sized margin does not count. The Democrats do, in fact, continue to pass and force Republicans to reject good legislation (such as multiple covid aid bills). The Democrats do not have the ability to force republican bills to carry amendments implementing left policy. Rules changes mean that pork barrel transactional green energy isn't viable absent much broader legislative control.

People want the Democrats to fight the Republicans as hard as the Republicans fought them during the Obama years. They aren't.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

The Republicans are okay with directly harming the public and destroying the government. That's the distinction. Stop buying into strongman rhetoric. It's now how legislation works.

So your argument is you think the Democrats have been fighting the Republicans are hard as they reasonably can? You don't think there's more they could be doing?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

Insisting that the Senate Minority should just "do something" and the SC nominee when they can't affect quorum and there's no fillibuster is just being angry that they don't just magic what they want into existence.

They've also been explicit that if the Senate moves forward with this, when the Dems take the Senate back, "everything is on the table", but I guess that doesn't matter at all when there's a chance to scream "Dems bad!!!!!!!!"

Did you want to engage with the premise or did you want to make up a bunch of words nobody said?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

You do understand the Democrats don't have enough people to block things as the Republicans did under Obama?

Let me helpfully remind you of the context that was literally less than a page ago

Lemming posted:

There's a ton of stupid archaic rules that let you do a lot of stalling and loving around, but it's considered rude so that's out

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They only work insofar as Mitch McConnell can't immediately muster 50+Pence votes to overturn them. It only takes 51 votes to change the rules; if you have 51 votes to do what you want, you get to do what you want.

Lemming posted:

Sure, but make them loving do it

Where in this sequence of posts did you get the idea that I thought they could be successful in blocking things, as opposed to just doing what they could to slow down the process and make it more of a fight instead?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think the distinction is also supposed to be between "Chuck's Rules" and "Actual Rules of The Senate, Which Are The Ones That Matter, Because They Were Elected To The Senate" where he did take the rare step of actually trying to leverage them yesterday

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/politics/chuck-schumer-forces-health-care-vote/index.html

quote:

The top Democrat's action now sets up a vote later this week related to a bill that would protect people with pre-existing conditions if the Supreme Court sides with the Trump administration's Department of Justice and strikes down the Affordable Care Act after arguments are heard in November.

Schumer's surprise steps were extraordinary because such motions are typically offered by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell who controls the Senate and dictates what gets considered on the floor. Schumer has never before tried to force such a cloture vote in his time as the top minority leader, aides said.

The rules say any senator can do what Schumer did Tuesday but senators typically don't take these extreme steps because doing so regularly would shut down the Senate.

That's why it's custom to let the majority leader set the schedule.

Which obviously makes you ask why the gently caress haven't they been doing this more

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Somfin posted:

The rules grant them the power, and we are discussing breaking said rules.

Also there are plenty of rules they could follow to gum up the works with respect to things like appointing judges that the Democrats haven't been doing

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

Except that wouldn’t “gum up” anything, all of the obstacles the Dems could throw couldn’t do more than just make the legislative session take longer, which in 2018 would have let fewer Democrats campaign for re-election while just delaying October appointments to December

You’re not arguing facts, you’re arguing clickbait headlines you half-remember

So you think Schumer was being dumb and made a mistake when he tried stalling things the other day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

I thought Schumer wasn't doing anything? Isn't that the whole point of the cartoon, that there's nothing to do, and he's not doing anything? Isn't that what you were arguing before?

Are you suddenly now admitting that he's doing things?

Let me helpfully quote a post I made earlier on this page:

Lemming posted:

I think the distinction is also supposed to be between "Chuck's Rules" and "Actual Rules of The Senate, Which Are The Ones That Matter, Because They Were Elected To The Senate" where he did take the rare step of actually trying to leverage them yesterday

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/politics/chuck-schumer-forces-health-care-vote/index.html

Which obviously makes you ask why the gently caress haven't they been doing this more

I think this was a good thing for him to do! As such, I think it would be much better if the Democrats did that sort of thing more. Do you think this was a mistake? If not, do you think it would be good or bad for them to do this more often? If you think it would be good if they did it more often, then we're in agreement about my original statement, which is that I wish the Democrats would do more to fight back against the Republican agenda