Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iger got his last mega-huge quarterly bonuses from Disney's 2019 movies and the massively successful Disney+ launch, and he's just going to enjoy a sinecure position for a while until his contract runs out. It's as simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Roth posted:

Didn't Katzenberg leave Disney and join Dreamworks in the mid to late 90s or was Meet the Robinsons just in development hell for a long time?

Yes. Following Frank Wells' death in 1994, Katzenberg believed that his contract entitled him to Wells' position as president of the company. Eisner, however, simply assumed the president's responsibilities in addition to his role as CEO, and he and Roy Disney froze Katzenberg out. Eventually Katzenberg quit, sued the poo poo out of the company (I think he got something like $250 million) and co-founded Dreamworks with Spielberg and David Geffen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atlantis generally sucks, but the animation is at least beautiful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ConfusedUs posted:

I can’t be the only person who actually likes Titan AE, can I?

Titan AE is what happens when you take a bunch of beautiful CGI and then let Don Bluth draw all over it.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And ironically, this wasn't Katzenberg (god, late Eisner Disney was a goddamn mess).

The work that Eisner and Katzenberg did in rebuilding The Walt Disney Company in the '80s cannot be overstated. They saved the company from a hostile takeover attempt by Hilton, they revitalized the animation studio, Katzenberg discovered Pixar and brought them into the fold, and some truly amazing films resulted from their tenure.

After Frank Wells (who hated Eisner but ran interference for him) died, though, the whole thing went to poo poo. Eisner went power-hungry and began to see himself as the heir to Walt Disney's legacy. loving oof, all the poo poo he did with ABC was criminal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't The Last Unicorn do something like that?

Essentially, yes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nameless Pete posted:

Star Trek already crossed over with the X-Men. Not making a Patrick Stewart joke, it's a real thing that happened.

There's a bit where Nurse Chapel goes "Doctor McCoy?" and Beast and Bones both look up at the same time and say "Yeah?"

It's a Lobdell book, though, so it isn't very good and often makes no sense.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Feldegast42 posted:

Also isn't buying a company, loading it up with all your debt, then cutting it loose and having it declare bankruptcy corporate raiding 101? Its been a favored tactic of Bain Capital and co to do that (most infamously with Toys-R-Us a few years back)

So when people go "well they were full of debt so hard men have to make hard choices", those "hard men" may have engineered that situation in the first place for their own gain.

E: Obviously they aren't gonna have HBO declare bankruptcy, but taking advantage of something like that for tax breaks is definitely also in the playbook

No, this is different from vulture capitalism. When I'm at my desk I'll explain.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby posted:

No, this is different from vulture capitalism. When I'm at my desk I'll explain.

Basically, what Bain Capital did was buy Toys R Us in an almost completely leveraged buyout, saddling TRU with about $5 billion in debt. Beyond that, Bain and its two other partners were charging TRU extremely exorbitant "advisory" fees. Between that and the debt service--TRU was paying $500 million in interest payments alone every year--the company didn't have a chance to survive, and so it simply ran out of cash and died. So Bain and its partners basically cannibalized TRU for every last cent they could and left it to wither and die.

With WBD, AT&T was desperate to unload Warner Bros. because AT&T was being choked by the debt service from its disastrous acquisition of DirecTV. So by spinning off WarnerMedia and merging it with Discovery, forming Warner Bros. Discovery, the new combined company is carrying about $50 billion of AT&T's total $150 billion in debt. It's all a really big shell game.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 23, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macaluso posted:

Incorrect. There isn't a single animated thing that is made better by being turned into live action.

The first two TMNT live-action movies are pretty inarguably better than the TMNT cartoon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Papercut posted:

The over singing in the trailer really really really bothers me, the original music is perfect Disney gently caress you

The Beauty & the Beast remake suffered from a similar problem. Emma Watson is a fine actress, but she warbled almost as much as Amanda Seyfried did in Les Mis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TwoPair posted:

I imagine they mean the 80s one

Right. The original cartoon premiered in 1987. The first movie came out in 1990, the second in 1991; both were heavily influenced by, and also far superior to, the cartoon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Das Boo posted:

From what I understand it's because Netflix is an unsustainable model that sees numbers but has somehow been losing money for years. (I can't figure out how, but it's apparently true.) So investors have been backing the promise of money as represented by these numbers- Line go up, investors are pleased. Line go down, even if for entirely foreseeable reasons (say, a global pandemic ebbing and people not being stuck with Netflix), investors freak and pull out. More of the psychopathic lack of foresight that's been encouraged in business practice since... forever, really.

Disclaimer that this is my best understanding of how a producer friend explained it. I evidently don't understand very well because it makes zero sense. Same source informed me of the dog-pissing behaviour though, so :v:

Netflix's growth was financed by them taking on metric poo poo-tons of debt, and they've finally started losing subscribers. Hence price increases and having advertisements and cracking down on account sharing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Das Boo posted:

Ahahaa! It was the massive amount of debt I missed!

Yeah, they've been financed primarily through debt offerings since streaming became their bread and butter around 2010, and even moreso when they began their EMEA expansion strategy back around 2015. They're starting to have to fork out some pretty huge payments to service that debt, and their content spend on Netflix Originals is not sustainable (something like $16 billion last year).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

I thought the SMrpg characters were in some kind of Square/Nintendo rights hell like KH?

I don't believe this is true anymore (if it ever was, since Super Mario RPG was on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles and the SNES Classic, and Geno's costume is DLC for Smash Ultimate).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macaluso posted:

Anyway, the real treat with the South Park movie is the music. Matt & Trey know their poo poo when it comes to making a musical cause goddamn. Like wasn't La Resistance praised for being one of the better medleys in a musical? And I mean Uncle Fukka, lyrics aside, is an absolute banger, the horn section goes crazy!

A lot of that credit needs to go to Marc Shaiman, who is an incredible composer and lyricist. He did the music for the movie (and was nominated for an Oscar for Blame Canada).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Data Graham posted:

As I alluded to before though, I don't understand why the songs in Team America were so much worse, both lyrically and musically, if they're also by Marc Shaiman. "Everyone Has AIDS" is good, but the rest leave me real cold. "Montage" is also a classic of course but it's recycled from SP (where it is used much more effectively from a filmmaking standpoint I might add — the "fade out" joke doesn't even work the way they do it in the movie because it's a crossfade not a fade out :argh:)

The answer to that is the songs in Team America were not by Marc Shaiman, except for Everyone Has AIDS; Parker co-wrote that one with Shaiman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

Wasn't there a Nascar driver that recently won by doing the same thing Lightning McQueen did?

Are you talking about Ross Chastain's wall ride last year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqZF5ft9Xqs&t=97s

They banned that maneuver in the offseason, though. Cowards.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Normally you can't go too fast around a curve or you can't turn enough and lose control. He just got up against the wall and gunned it max speed, and the wall pushed him around the curve.

Yeah, exactly. It's a rare example of physics at work: Because he didn't have to worry about braking, he absolutely gunned the throttle and let the wall carry him and torpedo him into fifth place from 10th, putting him into the championship race.

He later said he learned the move from playing a NASCAR game on his GameCube as a kid.

NASCAR announced last December the move was banned.

Sourdough Sam posted:

Really just got the sense that Cars was serial employee toucher John Lasseter's fixation and that Pixar wanted to do literally anything else.

If Lasseter were still at Pixar, we'd be at Cars 6 by now, if not more. It's his obsession.

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 6, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mycot posted:

I thought the narrative was that Lasseter stole Cars from an employee under him, and that's why only the very first Cars has that focus on small American Highway towns that none of the other movies have at all.

Cars was always absolutely Lasseter's baby, he's an automotive nutjob.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

Mutant Mayhem is by one of the Spider-verse directors, right?

The Mitchells vs. The Machines.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my main criticism of the Sonic movies is in the climax of the second one when Robotnik creates the giant robot with the help of the Master Emerald it didn't play an orchestral version of this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3JZKyaucK4

Wrong track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4L4TSrDB4M

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macaluso posted:

I think you're the one being super weird about this.

Have you met Occ? This is his thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FunkyAl posted:

I kinda think Take on Me would be good for a mario movie. A couple of koopas could have crowbars and be chasing Mario and Peach.

Pipe Wrench Fight.

https://youtu.be/8HE9OQ4FnkQ

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 7, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Robindaybird posted:

Because "Consent" nevermind Ariel was just as gung-ho about it.

It's clear the remakes are only focusing on the lovely faux-feminist takes of films by people who only watched the movie as kids - the whole 'can't do kiss the girl because a girl who can't talk clearly can't consent' and Ursula's line about using sex appeal might just give girls body image issues.

:stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Thinking about live action "Be Prepared" and getting kinda sad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macaluso posted:

Speaking of the little mermaid, this poo poo sucks so loving bad:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1656012256428138497

Sebastian looks like a ghost crab.

Ghost crabs can't live underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bleck posted:

The script could just be an hour and a half of exactly what we saw in the trailer and it would still be, far and away, the best TMNT media ever produced.

The first live-action movie is right there.