Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I bake fresh bread rolls today, are they still going to be nice tomorrow, or do they turn stale very quickly? I did a batch a couple of weeks ago and they got a little less enjoyable to eat the following day, is there a preferred way of storing them? We have loads of sandwich filler so I want to churn out 12 rolls to eat over the next 3 days, but I'd rather not go through the headache if they're just gonna end up stale as cardboard after a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone have a go-to pizza dough recipe? We made pizzas yesterday and they were great, really good crust and the dough rose amazingly in the oven. We ended up with light, fluffy, chewy crusts, and it was softer where the toppings were. But it tasted a little underwhelming. I'd like to mimic something close to Dominos, where the dough gets sweet the more you chew it.

The recipe we followed was 300g flour with 300ml water, 7g yeast, 1tsp salt, 1 tbsp olive oil. Left it overnight in the pantry (covered) to develop flavour. Added 150g the next day and kneaded for 10 minutes. Whole process was a breeze, and made us want to have pizza night once a month. First ball we handled with floured hands but it was nightmarish due to how sticky it still was, if you handled it quick enough it was manageable but above our skill level (and we didn't want to add too much flour into the dough). We coated the bottom with cornflour and sprinkled some on the crust, it was nice. The second ball we handled with oiled hands (olive oil) and it was much easier to shape and move. There wasn't any noticeable difference between the two pizzas, so we're going to oil hands before handling from now on. Oven cranked to 250c, with a cast iron pizza thingy in there to get rip-roaring hot.

As far as I can tell, we've nailed the mechanics of pizza making, but now it's a guessing game I'd rather not play of picking a recipe that fits what we want. Final question is how to use mozzarella balls without it releasing a bunch of moisture onto the pizza. It wasn't a huge issue, most water would evaporate in the oven and then once the pizza was taken out, we let it cool a little and the water went away. It's just the flavour of fresh mozzarella balls is much nicer vs shredded. We've been slow roasting toppings (mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn) in the oven beforehand and that dries them out enough to use as toppings, but you can't really do that with cheese.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Post it anyway! I take it just adding sugar to a recipe will cause the yeast to go into overdrive and cause overproofed dough? And sorry to everyone, I always post the most longwinded poo poo ever instead of just getting straight to the point.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've done the math, I'd be able to fit about 30 ads in a typical post of mine, so maybe recipe blogging is my calling.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

i've been using corn starch lately to thicken everything. curries, stews, bolognese. whatever it is, i've probably thrown corn starch in to thicken it a little. other than missing out on concentrated flavour goodness, are there any other downsides to thickening with corn starch? i love how it'll make the sauce thicker but i won't have to reduce it for ages and end up with barely any sauce. it's a good in between.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I put cold pizza dough straight into the oven and what I initially thought was gooey yummy cheese was just straight up undercooked dough that I'd been fermenting in the fridge for 5 days :barf: managed to eat half the drat pizza before realizing. And now all my insides are bubbling and I feel like I'll be regretting it tomorrow. Refrigerated the rest and will heat it up slowly tomorrow in the oven.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

nwin posted:

You didn’t let the dough warm up for a few hours before the oven? Normally it has to be out for about 2-3 hours for me to even stretch properly.

Did it stretch out ok for you? I imagine if it’s too cold it just won’t stretch at all and stay like a ball.

I assumed it would be the same as bread (which I've baked straight from the fridge many times without a problem). So yeah, I took it straight out the fridge and whacked it into the oven. It was stretching out fine - if anything, it was easier to manage. Though I did leave it in the fridge for five days so the dough was very rested and handled easier.

Lesson learned. The pizza tasted delicious but the undercooked dough was revolting once I'd realized it wasn't cheese and was killing my guts.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

nwin posted:

What temp/how long did you cook it?

250c with a cast iron pizza stone (is that a contradictory sentence?). I think it just boils down to me not letting the dough get to room temp, so the bottom scorched and the top cooked but the middle was still frigid by the time I took it out when I assumed it was done. I think I've gotten away with cold doughs in the past because I use a dutch oven with the lid on, so it protects it from direct heat.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why does almost every pizza recipe tell you to smack the oven on it's hottest temp? I've never had luck with that method. Thick pizzas burn, thin pizzas cook too quickly. I just had a pizza where I was gentler with the oven temp (180c) and it was able to cook for 15 mins: cheese was perfect, dough was soft and cooked-through that isn't dense or doughy. Same dough I used yesterday for a pizza at hottest temp my oven goes, but completely opposite experience. I use a pizza steel. Is it because my oven is fan assisted? Should I do pizza with the fan off?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 25, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://imgur.com/a/3iCyeiQ

So, I made these hardboiled eggs. Only one of them turned out looking alright (you can tell which from the pics, it's the only one that doesn't have gross stains on it). What is going on with my eggs? I bought these free-range eggs a few days ago and they've been refrigerated perfectly. To cook them, I pop them in the pressure cooker for 4 minutes and immediately vent after.

If I eat these eggs, are they gonna make me sick? Is it bacterial? Did I just get unlucky and buy the grossest batch of eggs at the supermarket or what. I forgot to take a pic, but one of the eggs had some weird brown stain, like leather brown colour, on the inside of the shell and it was also a little water with the same colour. It had formed a ring on the inside of the shell.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

They sit on a rack, they're cooked in steam under high pressure. I dunno, google is throwing out mixed results, it's either bacterial growth that'll kill me, or just a reaction between the yolk and sulfur naturally found in eggs. Either way, I threw the offending ones in the bin. Not risking it. Just annoyed I spent so much money on free range and they're turning out gross looking.

The third picture egg tasted wonderful, no issues and I don't feel like I'm about to keel over and die.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The only time I try to stretch stuff past conservative dates is if 1) it's expensive or 2) I put a lot of effort into making it. Basmati rice? I throw it out at day 3 if I haven't used it because it's literal zero effort to rinse and throw a new batch in the rice cooker (that I got for £5, and works amazingly well). The only reason I store rice in the fridge is to take to work. If I want it whilst at home, fresh batch all the way.

This longwinded post is just shilling for rice cookers. Get yourself one, even the cheap crappy ones. I remember when I was younger, all the Chinese exchange students would have them in their dorms and I used to always wonder why they bought crap. Turns out I was wrong, cheap does the trick.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah when I reflect back on my uni years, there was a lot of eating day old rice left out overnight and most of the following day on the stovetop. Not even just during winter, I'd do it during summer too. Now I'm hyperfocused on proper kitchen hygiene.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dutch oven if you want to make artisanal and crunchy bread at home. Because of how heavy it is, it has a lot of thermal mass, so bread gets a nice big jolt of heat when you first plop it in. Plus the heavy lid traps steam which gives it a nice oven spring. Get a nice banneton too and a lame for cutting nice decorations into the bread.

As a sidenote, I've always been told it's not worth making puff pastry at home. The effort vs payoff isn't really something that makes you want to spend the time investment for it. I've not fully answered your question with regards to bread pans and recipe websites, sorry.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I used to have an Instant Pot in the UK, it was one of the main tools I used for cooking. Absolutely amazing piece of kit. I've since moved countries and bought an Instant Pot again, but then decided to return it and get the Ninja Foodi. So far, I'm highly impressed with it. The fact it's a little convection oven to boot makes me glad I got it instead of the IP.

I made lamb rogan josh yesterday and it was decadent. Super tasty and the big hunks of lamb were just melt in the mouth deliciousness. I've always had trouble picking cuts of lamb, the stuff I get is usually mainly fat or bone and not much meat! Does anyone have any recommendations on what cut to get if I want large, meaty chunks to dig into? I bought "New Zealand Whole Lamb Cuts" but it was rather poo poo. The pic below is what it was advertised as, what I got was mainly bone and fat with minimal meat.

Also, any tips on how to pressure cook this stuff? The bone-in lamb got put in high pressure for 25 minutes but was still rubbery, so I did another 25 minutes and it was fork tender. Is there any risk of overcooking stuff in a pressure cooker?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

Last week my sister set my cooker on fire :tif: (no sis, that was NOT the hob control knob) so today i bought myself a Ninja Foodi MAX 14-in-1 multicooker.

Is there any thread on the devices and their usage?

Already hitting YT but want to cover all the bases.

Sis did you a favour, I love my ninja foodi. Also interested in knowing if there's a relevant thread for some cool recipes.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can people recommend some work lunch ideas? I've currently got minced beef, chicken thighs and chicken breast in the freezer and was planning on cooking 2 of the 3 tomorrow for the upcoming week. I'm just tired of constantly having some kind of curry with rice. Eating rice every day is fine but I can't help but think about arsenic poisoning lol

I was going to make bolognese with the beef, but I'm pretty sure I have an intolerance to pasta because eating it gives me the worst stomach problems. So then my brain automatically thought "chili con carne with rice" but bam, back to having rice 5 days a week.

I guess my biggest issue is finding a replacement carb for rice. I really love curry though, cause 1) it's so easy to do and 2) it's super tasty.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So my mum used to go to this Polish shop and they sold the nicest food there. They had baguette sandwiches (halloumi and grilled peppers and hummus and grilled peppers were my fav, but they did a wonderful smoked salmon and cream cheese baguette too) and delicious soups. So my mum would come home with a bunch of food from the place, and I'd always rush the soup that had a tonne of parsley in it, and I'd dunk a buttered baguette into it and it is a blissful childhood memory.

I'm no longer a child, and realised I have the power to make this soup myself. The only issue is, Polish parsley soup brings up stuff that doesn't match what I remember. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a chicken broth with so so so much chopped parsley floating around, there was some barley too. I know I haven't given much to go on, but any help would be appreciated. It was a purely vegetable soup, no meat. My mum tried to get the recipe a bunch of times but the shop owner couldn't speak English or didn't want to divulge the family secret.

PS: I read over your advice regarding the rice-heavy work meals. This week, I've made thai red curry tortilla wraps with crunchy veg (red cabbage, bell peppers and carrots) all in a velvety thai red curry and peanut dressing. I've also made enough soup to feed the whole of Europe, so I'm a bit peeved that I overshot the mark that much. I've got enough soup for like 5 days of nothing but eating soup, and then another 8 days worth I'm gonna try and cram in the freezer lol

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 25, 2022

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So my life has basically devolved into a horrible cycle of wake up > go to work > come home from work > sleep. I don't even do anything in terms of hobbies cause I'm always so exhausted. As a result, I no longer really go grocery shopping unless it's the weekend, and even then it's a rare thing. I've taken to doing online shopping once every two weeks or so. That being said, I've really gotten into enjoying fresh fish, think salmon and trout fillets. I've made the mistake a few times of buying a few fillets and then leaving it a day or two too long in the fridge and not being able to eat it due to the quality deteriorating.

My question: can I buy 3-4 fillets and just whack them all in the freezer and just take them out the day before I plan on using them? It'd be my two week supply of fish and I wouldn't have to worry about spoilage. I don't know if quality would be affected though. Eating salmon as I type this, it was a day or two past what I'd call good so I'm a little sad. Very strong fish smell! It practically fumigated my entire kitchen when I opened and cooked it. Thankfully it's still edible, it just took a nosedive in quality.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I make my own sweet popcorn at home, like cinema sweet popcorn? I have a nifty little air popper and it makes some drat good popcorn, but I can't figure out how to get seasonings to stick to the popped corn. Any help would be appreciated. I've used caveman brain tactics in the past to quickly mix a little hot water with a lot of sugar and then sorta viciously mix it with the popcorn but it causes them to melt a little bit from the water and isn't great.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Icing sugar seems like a genius method.

Sidenote: temperature probe has revolutionized my fish cooking experience. I just cooked rainbow trout to 145f and it's like a foolproof way of getting perfectly cooked fish every single time without any guess work or undercooked anxiety. Would wholeheartedly recommend.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can you eat slightly raw button mushrooms? I was watching a veggie chow mein recipe video and the guy threw the mushrooms in and only fried them (over medium heat) for 3-4 minutes. They weren't thinly sliced, they were halved, and it wasn't a rip-roaringly hot wok.

I always thought you had to properly cook mushrooms, but if I can just saute them for a few minutes and it's good, it opens up a world of quick and easy veggie dishes with mushrooms in it (which I typically avoid as I can't be bothered sauteing mushrooms for 10-15 minutes).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks you just ended 2022 on the best note

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone help me figure out how to make the quintessential Turkish / Lebanese grill accompaniment which is the parsley and onion side salad? The parsley bit is easy, it's just parsley. But how do they get their white onions to be so mild and delicious? There's no pungency at all, but I don't taste vinegar, so they haven't pickled it. Not to be confused with the pickled red onion you get as a side from kebab places.

Edit: just quickly googled it and the answer is literally just to soak the thinly sliced onion in cold water for 20 minutes. Oops.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm losing my mind with the constant losing battle I'm facing with warmed over flavour when it comes to chicken. I've straight up stopped preparing chicken dishes to take to work, because after microwaving, the chicken tastes absolutely disgusting. At home, I've experimented with loads of different heating methods, but they all end up the same - the chicken has a funky taste almost like I'm licking a live chicken.

Does anyone have any tried and tested methods to avoid warmed over flavour? Only way I'm able to enjoy chicken is if it's in a curry, the sauce prevents it from getting that horrible warmed over flavour, or maybe it's the strong spices. Nothing else works. I've thrown out whole batches of chicken pasta dishes because the chicken just ruined it.

Someone said acid is supposed to prevent it, but I've had 50/50 success with that method. I haven't eaten chicken at work in months.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

null_pointer posted:

While warmed-over chicken is a little off-putting, it has nothing on warmed-over turkey. Holy poo poo.

Coworker ate turkey a few weeks ago at work and Jesus Christ, the smell alone had me tasting WOF.

There's got to be an industrial secret, I swear. Every time I purchase prepackaged salads / sandwiches / meals that have chicken in it, the chicken tastes fine. Even the stuff that needs microwaving. I bought citric acid to test at home but have no clue how to use it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mystes posted:

There's literally nothing good about disliking it and it's inconvenient because it makes it harder to eat leftover chicken so you're seriously just lucky if it doesn't bother you

Amen. Most useless trait ever. I just waste good food, or end up eating it miserably. Especially cruel since I'm such a huge foodie, I legitimately think about food so much. It's a running gag at work that I care more about what coworkers are eating for lunch today than said coworkers themselves.

PS: I find it absolutely crazy that someone can waltz into work and not even know what they've got for lunch / going home to for dinner. I get excited about what I'm having for lunch and what I'll cook / eat when I'm home.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What is sauerkraut meant to taste like? I once bought the Biona organic brand. It tasted awful. I love cabbage: coleslaw, cabbage soup, other cabbage related dishes (I honestly don't know any more lol, but I love coleslaw and cabbage soup). The taste of cabbage is good with me. But the sauerkraut I tasted was rancid. I don't know if I just got a terrible brand, should I try sauerkraut again or is it an acquired taste?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love that fizz. I experienced it with kimchi. It was my favourite thing ever. I don't thing the Middle Eastern country I reside in has any fresh sauerkraut unfortunately.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I'm a huge fan of Indian curry, I cook a tonne of it at home, it's what my mum primarily fed us growing up as kids, even though we're not Indian or anywhere near close to being Indian. The food just slaps. Something I've always seen in recipes is "cook until the oil separates". Does this have any scientific basis for being an indication that the underlying ingredients are properly cooked? I just always assumed oil separation happens normally over time, whether or not the underlying stuff is cooked.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Please help me discover this specific method of cooking sea bass. I live in a Middle Eastern Gulf country. My aunt used to order from a fish restaurant and it was the most delicious fish I'd ever had. Things have since gone south with the family and I no longer speak to them. I've been searching for months and haven't had much success.

This sea bass used to be absolutely incredible. It was cooked over charcoal (I assume) because it had that smoky charcoal grilled flavour. It was covered in a burnt, black crusty powder that also tasted divine. You could grab a bit of perfectly white and juicy fish, dab it in the burnt crusty powder on the skin and then eat it and it was chef's kiss. Anyone have any ideas? I've gone to about 5 different fish restaurants and none of them do it the way I want.

Pic below doesn't showcase it properly, this is more of a dry cooking method and the skin is blistered. The cooking method I saw, the entire fish was covered in a fine black powder but underneath, the skin was soft and protected and not burnt.

I think I found it, no clue what the name is or method of cooking is but at least I can try showing it to restaurants:

Qubee fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 5, 2023

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I thought the primary purpose of cooker hoods was to exhaust gases produced during combustion on a gas burner? It vents carbon monoxide outside instead of it slowly building up in your kitchen. I don't know how important that is though, I used to cook with a gas burner for ever and only recently started using the hood.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got two jars of Blue Elephant Thai Green Curry in the pantry, the best before date was December 24th 2022. I'm not about to let two perfectly good jars go to waste. Can I throw them in the freezer and use them in the (nearish) future? Or no? It's only two months past when I should have eaten it but they're still properly sealed in their jars and don't companies use fancy nitrogen purging or whatever to ensure a totally safe atmosphere for packaged goods?

I had a jar of red curry paste that was 'best before' on the 28th February 2023. I just made a curry with it now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

They contain oil so there’s a chance they’ll be oxidized and smell like wet cardboard. I would use very soon

Will freezing put a hold on that or no?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm about to make onigiri, what's the rice to filling ratio? I'm going with a tuna mayo sriracha filling but don't know how to ratio it out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mystes posted:

Alternatively make onigirazu so you can go all out with the filling

You've just made me so excited for the work week. Onigirazu for work lunches is gonna be a game changer.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I opened some Philadelphia cream cheese maybe a month and a half ago... I've used it multiple times since then on toast, haven't had any issues. I've just discovered that cream cheese isn't supposed to be used two weeks once opened. After putting in a good three tablespoons in a pasta dish I'm making, am I gonna be okay if I eat it? The cream cheese looked absolutely fine, no mold or anything.

I just had a teaspoon of the stuff and it was fine, albeit slightly tart.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 18, 2023

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It looked fine and smelled fine, food tastes great. Will update you all in a few hours if it made me sick but I think I'm clear.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I finally bought MSG for the first time in my life. It's actually quite amazing how it can give food a whole new depth of flavour. I've been going a bit overboard with it, and I wanted to ask if it's alright to use it with literally everything (that works)? For example, I put some in my eggs, on top of my sliced tomatoes, with fried mushrooms. Is it basically like salt or should I not use it every day? I use tiny amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

It is like salt. It is also like salt in that there are a lot of ingredients that already contain enough of it so adding extra is over-flavouring. Otherwise you are fine.

I cook most of my stuff from scratch so I definitely know my diet has zero MSG since I don't buy processed stuff or ready mixes or whatever. I'll treat it exactly like salt then, cheers.

Also, Turkish sudjuk sausage, how do you properly eat it? I used to eat it with the outer skin on, but then someone told me you're meant to take the skin off as it's dangerous. So then I started eating it without the skin, and then someone said I should heat it up before eating it. Any Turkish cuisine aficionado able to shed some light on how to properly eat this?