Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:psyduck:
And yet he still decided to make the current uniforms from an absurdly expensive specialty fabric only available from one vendor in Switzerland or something.
https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/771872524619489280

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/774062077811929090

Fuller's version was going to be pretty different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Know what I just remembered? Jurati acts like Maddox making cookies from scratch is the weirdest, most unknown thing. Sisko's father was a famous chef - did anybody ever get weirded out by someone devoting their lives to manual cooking on DS9?

OTOH, I definitely remember Keiko getting weirded out by Miles doing some home cooking, so.

It's probably like knowing someone who only eats restaurant take-out/delivery or microwave food, and they're trying to cook something for themselves. It's unusual.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I really dig that we're getting more information about the layout of the La Sirena.

It's a cool little ship. I wonder if they've thought about how comparatively expensive it is, and how Rios could afford it. Maybe there'll be a flashback in a later episode?
Picard's a client but I can't imagine it pays that much.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I didn't read it as either of those - IMO she's taking advantage of Rios's suspicion of Raffi and will claim that Raffi poisoned her cake/milk

There should be a hypospray on the floor still, and it didn't look like Agnes bothered to wipe the replicator logs.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Naked Time (4th episode released, 7th produced) had written in pointless time travel.

The ship is thrown back in time 3 days for no plot reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Time

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I know Kurtzman has said that he wanted each modern Trek series to have a different tone.

I'm hoping the Pike series will be more episodic than serialized akin to TNG and TOS. I would expect there to be a recurring occurrence of Vina (which was done really well in Disco)

The source website is not exactly credible, but CBS must have spent a poo poo load of money on that Enterprise set, and they kept it up.

They know that there's a lot of fan desire for a Pike series rather than the S31 series that nobody wants. It gets brought up pretty much every comicon or whatever.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Maddox said that Soji and Dahj were sent to find the secret behind the Synth ban.

He suspected that the Federation and Romulans had a part in it. Daystrom being a target makes sense. Maybe he heard about the Zhat Vash xBs on the artifact?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

I read somewhere that Trekyards found out that they had just finished the VFX last week for the show.
COVID19 and WFH probably affected the schedule in some ways, then.

I know CBS Trek has patched in some cgi before (Shuttle in one of the short treks). I wounder if they would/could go back and alter this.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Klingon Language in Discovery isn't garbled by prosthetics. (You can see this by how L'rell was able to speak perfect English in his scene with Lorca in Choose Your Pain, and later on that season.)
That's how it's sound according to the actual developed language, with some extra digital effects added.

It feels like they speak slowly because tlhIngan Hol is pretty dense in terms of meanings/syllable. In order to keep pace with the subtitles, they generally keep a slower pace.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
That's literally the language. It's supposed to sound halting and awkward.

https://www.kli.org/about-klingon/sounds-of-klingon/

quote:

The sounds of Klingon individually occur in existing Terran languages, but no single language uses the entire collection. Paramount wanted the language to be gutteral and harsh, and Okrand wanted it to be unusual, so he selected sounds that combined in ways not typically found in other languages (e.g. a retroflex D and a dental t, but no retroflex T or dental d)

If you want to read more about it in Discovery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/72g6dt/is_the_klingon_language_in_stdiscovery_the_same/

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Well that's stupid. If somehow that was Okrand's Intention that it was a bad idea. Previous productions never felt bound by this idea that Klingon should sound halting and awkward. I'm skeptical of this idea especially since the quote you dug up to defend it doesn't contain it at all. Maybe you could find a quote from the red it thread?

I got the wrong thread. I'm not a Klingon Language expert, so I'll defer to people who have spent thousands of hours learning it. And they all pretty much say it's the most accurate portrayal of the language in the franchise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/72ed54/speakers_of_klingon_how_correct_is_the_language/dni5nmt?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

quote:

gloubenterder
resident Klingon language expert
1 point ·
2 years ago

I'll agree that a few of the Klingons were a bit on the slow side, but Klingon was always meant to be choppy, with very clear divisions between syllables. Consider the earliest examples of the language:

Klingon battle scene from Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Used as the basis for the Klingon language

Kruge in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - Marc Okrand's first pupil, in the film that introduced Klingon as an actual language.

In this mini-documentary, Marc Okrand recalls a time during the filming of The Search for Spock where Leonard Nimoy complained that an actor had spoken a Klingon line as though it were French (which is to say, too fluid).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Did-eVQDc&t=896s

xerxus fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 6, 2020

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It’s still extremely lol to me that the core ethos of both Star Trek shows in the last decade is a driving belief that a better future is not, in fact, possible

I would say that the core ethos of both shows is that a better world, but unless people are vigilant in preserving that world, things like fear and hatred can creep back in.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

CaveGrinch posted:

Building a fleet of same ships isn’t necessarily the worst idea... maybe the Federation thought it worked perfectly well for every other major power in the galaxy.

Engineers in the shows keep saying how their ship works differently from spec and from other classes. Uniformity in design probably allows for less wasted time when transferring people from different ships.

There was supposed to be 4 different class of ships in the stand-off scene, but they only managed to get two on screen and they looked very similar.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth I also read about the episode title list where the source says the info is from someone who is connected to Netflix backend data.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: La Sirena is a gorgeous ship, and probably my favorite Trek ship design in a long time.

The show's writing and execution has not been the best, but both CBS shows have had amazing set design.

Mondragon, post: 13335903, member: 79311 posted:

Some new shots: again from - https://www.star-trek.info/

La Sirena's core powered down
Also a clear shot of the mid-level-windows into the second level medical-bay

And the reverse shot same interior-windows, pov looking up at them from Medical-bay.

Another profile shot detail (lol Narek throwing rocks!)

And at night, all the windows lit up.

A new room? Different from the main mess-hall, Captains Ready Room? Strategy room?

Seems to open into the main deck level 1 (any guess?

Great shot deck 2 mess, light flooding in from upper deck bridge forward window, and a ceiling skylight above?
As well as the exit hatch on the side.

Not even sure, is this down from the outer hull(roof?), through that skylight down into the deck 2 mess?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, I'm sure L'rell will interact with Ash/Voq in the Section 31 show (that somehow stars E. Georgiou).

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Don't be so racist. Just because the Super Synths have menacing tentacles doesn't mean they're actually genocidal.

For all we know, the Admonition was left behind by an equivalent of a trickster Q of the Synths and not at all representative of the species.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Seemlar posted:

The guy citing Musk as a visionary is from the Evil Universe. It went from something that would age badly to being entirely appropriate almost immediately anyway

Stamets was so upset at hearing Elon Musk being mentioned alongside the Wright Brothers and Zephram Cochrane that he storms off.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LeafyOrb posted:

Didn’t Tilly have a throw away line about going to Elon Musk High in season 2 as well?

It was Musk Junior high. May's recording to Tilly called it an 'awful school.'

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Cellular Ennui is real.

Which is why the Cellular regeneration and Entertainment Chamber is actually the real secret to immortality.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Spock's Pon Farr in TOS was 2267, which means the preceding one was 2260. Disco Season 2 ended in 2258.

I'm looking forward to Hot Spock getting it on in Strange New Worlds.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Same. But I've never worked on any projects which succeeded with incompetent leadership. Goldsman and Kurtzman have laughable track records.

Fringe was alright.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
There's a person with a good track record with alleged sources in Secret Hideout (Kurtzmanns production company) that says Discovery has been renewed for Season 4 and 5 (going to be shot back to back.) for 10 episodes each.

It makes sense to me considering there's like 18 months between shooting seasons and it seems like a huge waste of to keep sets idle.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

They were saying for months before release that they had a 'plan' for 3 seasons worth of content for the show when it's super clear they absolutely don't.

[citations needed]

There were talks that Stewart would be willing to do 3 seasons, but I have not read anything direct that says they have a plan.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

In my headcanon, the Soongs have been reproducing by cloning for centuries, hence them all being identical.

Arik Soong probably rewrote his DNA so that he'll only have male clone offsprings, or some poo poo.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

That would be great, but if they acknowledge onscreen that it's the same character wouldn't that open them up to a whole mess with the original creator of the character? Or would it not change anything about rights from the Voyager days since it's a whole different production?

I've heard other explanations. Producers and Robert McNeill said that Locarno was irredeemable and deep down a bad guy.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Nicholas_Locarno posted:

"The First Duty" writers Moore and Shankar never bought into the "irredeemable" argument however, stating on a later occasion that they were "bummed" that the very same actor McNeill was recast as Tom Paris, instead of reprising his role as Locarno as they could see no valid reason as to why Locarno's actions should have been irredeemable whereas Paris' equally serious actions were not. Shankar took a jab at any claim the decision was due to royalties when he jokingly added that he would not have minded the cheques either, knowing full well that he, as then tenured staff writer, was not entitled to any. (TNG Season 5 Blu-ray: "The First Duty", audio commentary)

The royalty thing keeps getting brought up but both were staff writers and wouldn't get residuals.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Lower Decks trailer was uploaded unlisted in Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoESUDUXp0g

https://streamable.com/ds72si

I think the ship looks better from different angles.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I thought it looks good.

Pacing seems to be a lot faster than Trek shows, but it seems on par with animation like Final Space or Rick n Morty.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Wasn't there a Unification III in the fake list of Picard episodes?

The leak is for Discovery and it's all the way back in April.

Same reporter is also the person saying Orville is cancelled.

Here's what was posted, in order.

1. That Hope Is You
Written by: Michelle Paradise & Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman
Directed by: Olatunde Osunsanmi

2. Forget Me Not
Written by: Alan McElroy & Chris Silvestri & Anthony Maranville

3. Scavengers
Written by: Anne Cofell Saunders
Directed by: Jonathan Frakes

4. Unification III
Written by: Kirsten Beyer
Directed by: Hanelle Culpepper

5. Terra Firma, Part 1
Teleplay by: Alan McElroy
Story by: Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt & Alan McElroy
Directed by: Maja Vrvilo

6. Terra Firma, Part 2
Teleplay by: Kalinda Vazquez
Story by: Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt & Alan McElroy
Directed by: Douglas Aarniokoski

7. The Sanctuary
Written by: Kenneth Lin & Brandon A. Schultz
Directed by: Jon Dudkowski

8. Outside
Written by: Michelle Paradise

9. The Citadel
Written by: Anne Cofell Saunders
Directed by: Omar Madha

10. The Good of the People
Written by: Kenneth Lin
Directed by: Chloe Domont

11. Die Trying
Teleplay by: Sean Cochran
Story by: James Duff & Sean Cochran
Directed by: Norma Bailey

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

What's the reason why Lower Decks isn't getting a non-American release again? Were Netflix and Amazon not interested in picking it up for the foreign market like they were with Disco and Picard (at least at first... I heard a rumor somewhere that Netflix has stopped footing such a huge bill for Discovery)?

Officially they couldn't get the deal done in time due to covid moving the release 2 months ahead.

Unofficially it might have to do with CBS All Access launching in more countries and they want to keep some exclusive content. They already sold the rights of New Trek to other countries. Amazon/Netflix are reticent to keep subsidizing CBS.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
People developing allergies to prosthetic is not uncommon. It could be as simple as that.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Rutherford starts profusely sweating when confronting the crew chiefs about leaving, and no one in universe comments on it.

The proportions of character's head compared to body breaks canon.

The size of the eyes compared to the head is just plain unrealistic.

The head is also like 15 times larger than their hands. It makes no sense.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I will admit that the references are a bit much, because they generally seem fairly shoehorned in. "Surrounded by spears - who am I, Kirk?" is kind of lame. "Oooh, Sulu used a sword, you can be like Sulu!" is kind of lame.

"How about Sulu? Ooh, he rocked a sword. That was his thing. That could be your thing, too! We're due for a new sword guy!"

This might have been a meta reference to Elnor.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I didn't say you said it or wanted to say it. I'm saying it. Based on your analysis (that character development has been slow but they still have time for a B plot). You seem to think that's fine. I'm saying they should have cut the B plot and given some time to character development.

And making comparisons to the amount of screen-time it took a 45-minute drama to establish characters - especially when that drama is almost universally acknowledged to have been not great in its first season - is just nonsense. If you're writing a two hour movie then you know you've got two hours. If you're writing a five minute short then you know you've got five minutes. You pace things accordingly. Or, as in the cases of both Lower Decks and Next Generation, you don't and that's a mistake.

Do all these characters even have names?

(From memory)
Reno, Nhan, Linus, Doctor something, Culber, Stamets, Tilly, Burnham, Saru, Detmer , Osewekun, Reece, (replacement for Airiam, same actor), Bryce.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Michael Chabon is not a hack writer. He didn't plagiarize anything.

The concept of a super advanced AI that kills biologic life is not a concept unique to Mass Effect.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's a cost saving measure that's not unique to Picard.

They reused the Brid of Prey exploding in actual movies with actual budget.

How many matte paintings did they reuse?

Using stock footage is just a bizzare nitpick.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Huh, come to think of it, what's Chabon's stated reason for not returning for season two? Is it realistic, or does it stink of 'excuse covering the real reason for departure'. I could easily see him leaving or being forced out after conflicts over that kind of thing.

To many interests tugging on it has always been Trek's bane, after all. It's the biggest reason why Voyager and Enterprise ended up the way they did. The only thing everyone could agree on was wishing they had TNG's ratings. "Be more like TNG! And play it safe!"
From (Variety)

quote:

You were going to step away as showrunner of “Picard” in order to make your Showtime series based on “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay” with your wife Ayelet Waldman. Where are you with that?

Truthfully, you can’t really be the showrunner of a show and do anything else. It was all consuming. I loved every minute of it — the hard parts as much as the easy parts. But I recognized that I couldn’t do it again, and also finish a novel, and also develop “Kavalier & Clay” and ultimately co-showrun that with Ayelet. There’s just no way. So I’m still an executive producer on “Picard.” I’m writing two episodes. I was there breaking the second season, all the way through. I was engaged, I think, in exactly the same degree as I was on Season 1 up to the point where it’s time to start production — and at that point, I will not be doing the same thing at all. I’ll just be continuing to give notes and, and be involved as an EP.

(Showtime is a ViacomCBS property)

I imagine if there's any drama behind the scenes, CBS wouldn't give have been given a production deal.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/glaad/status/1301218466490449920?s=20

The replies are pretty lovely.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Mariner said she was on Quitos when she made first contact with the Galardonians in the pilot 'one year ago'. And that she has served on five different ships. Unless she was transferred back to the Quitos (very possible), it was her immediately preceding posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
You should probably just block the channel since that guy's like a legit white supremacist nazi.