Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Aces High posted:

hey, why don't we do something fun, let's speculate: what could be some other metaphorsreferences that our new Tamarian may say if the translator fails again?

"George Costanza, his penis shrivelled" = drat, it's cold out.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Like, ignore the LCD screens for a second and look at the framing around them. Like they planned on painting in some LCARS details and then just forgot or decided not to. It's so bad.

It can work, but you have to go all-in on making it a deliberate design decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Snow Cone Capone posted:

they did successfully predict the embedding of cameras into every display in existence though

e: ok the keyboard keys glued to the edge are silly but what really kills it for me is the green power LED (and possibly the monitor adjustment buttons underneath)

"Mr Shoe, return fire to the Klingons and engage evasive manoeuvres beta-6!"

"I'm trying captain, but it keeps asking me if I want a receipt and if I want to do another transaction."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
So it's Star Trek, then?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Payndz posted:

Picard should be more like Indiana Jones and the Vessel of Ra, with everyone else out in the field and Picard waiting by the phone if they need him for advice. In all his scenes, he's on a couch in his bathrobe. Not Picard's bathrobe, but Patrick Stewart's.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

Just buy a Ferengi unit, those never seem to malfunction.

I wish I had that post about Starfleet being seen as technifetishist lunatics with ships made completely out of cutting edge tech they are constantly fiddling with and breaking.

That's why the Enterprise's holodeck kept giving birth to intelligent beings and dangerous situations.

The Ferengi just use theirs to wank.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
Yeah, it sure as hell wasn't the Vulcans who discovered that you can time travel by flying really really loving fast around a star.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
Found the posts I was looking for:

And this is why I love Trek.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also the hard-fought restrictions on Cardassian militarization in the border region might not actually have been honored on the Cardassian side. That's the neat twist hinted at the end of the TNG Cardassian episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6-eGDpimU

The relation between the Federation and the Cardassians stayed tense and on the brink up until the Dominion wiped out and took over Cardassia, and it's doubtful how long the peace that the Federation dearly bought would've lasted.

Quoting this for the mislinked youtube video about using soap wrong.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Tiggum posted:

It is a good video though.

True that.

The guy's series on the evolution of the design of hurricane lamps was a great watch.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
Planck time is just an artefact of the existence of the Planck length in a universe with a hard capped speed of light.

Fight me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
That railing around the command chairs is such an OSHA issue.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
No talk about how Mariner really did gently caress Boimler over with the assignment?

That was some goddamn bullshit on her part.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Alchenar posted:

So I've hit the 'Mariner is an awful person' drum a lot but I think that if you are going to do that kind of character then this episode was the way to do it - this wasn't like other episodes where Mariner Causes The Problem because she's being zany and immature, she has a believable motive, is called out for it and the show uses that to move the relationship between Mariner and Boimler forward a bit and in an interesting way ('you are sabotaging me because you hate the fact that I'm moving past you' - that's true!), and the episode establishes for the audience that she's wrong about Boimler.

I still think there needs to be a reckoning for Mariner because the other characters should have long been finished with her poo poo.

I agree. This was Mariner sincerely believing she was protecting her friend from getting in over his head and absolutely being wrong and loving it up.

Boimler's finally turning into an actual Star Fleet officer and she needs grow the hell up. This was a level beyond her tendency to self-sabotage so she never needs to move forward and leave everyone behind and into the realm of actively holding her friends back so they stay with her.

Not to downplay just how serious a move it was on Boimler's part, but one phaser blast isn't going to cut it to have that 'reckoning' that is long past due.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

Grand finale is going to be Badgey and Lore teaming up to set all of these loose.

Network them all together and let them fight it out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

The Bloop posted:

Hard to say if he is actually asexual since he is under duress about the whole thing. I took the performance issues as the fact that people he doesn't even like are trying to make him gently caress and that is not a turn on for a lot of people, to say the least.

Plus his entire life has been the choice between being free to be who he is as a person or having sex even once and his life never being his own again.

Lifelong negative stimulous like that would make anyone shut down.

Let alone being Mr Floppy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm still chuckling about "computer, ice cube, 500 degrees Celsius",

It's been days, and I'm still tickled by "Computer: Banana, hot."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

I'm the goon who looked at the second image and thought "Is she holding small packs of Doritos? Is that a Doritos t-poo poo?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

Oh my god, the Klingon Opera was the Gargoyles theme song.

I haven't watched that show sine it first aired and I was sitting there thinking, "There's no way this is the Gargoyle's theme"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

punishedkissinger posted:

the whole time they were screaming at each other on the holodeck i was just thinking "oh, they just like fighting with each other dont they"?

Was it the first mention of menstrual cramps and menopause in Star Trek?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
Yeah, back when I first heard they were making Lower Decks, I thought the show would quickly turn to just making fun of Trek. Instead it's having fun with Trek.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
To be fair, a Vulcan losing control is a bad thing.

Or is it just the males who do the seven year murder-sex thing?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm all for that. That clip looked pretty drat good.

I was 100% ready to poo poo all over Star Trek Prodigy just for the name.

But after watching that, I think they might be able to take the show to some interesting places.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Gnome de plume posted:

Probably has holo-janeway safeties put in place
There would have to be able least one episode where she malfunctions and endangers everyone's lives, it's like, in the rules.

Holoway cutting through the bridge door with a space axe, screaming, "Here's Janey!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Khanstant posted:

That's the kind of thing I would never notice, wouldn't expect Disco to, but I am surprised LD missed!

Next season will start off with Captain Freeman ranting about being marked down on her latest review over the running lights.

Naturally it would be Boimler who put the wrong lights up, "But now it goes red/green/red/green all the way around!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
As soon as they mentioned that the debris field would be attracted to the hull, I thought they were going to go for a Pied Piper setup. Fly around the debris field, have all the detritus follow them and once they clear it out enough, warp away. Then come back and help the disabled ship.

Like what they did better, though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Brawnfire posted:

I like to imagine each Starfleet vessel is built around a whale

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best one of these is the Warehouse 13 finale. They wrapped up the main story one episode early, so they could goof off with the last having everyone show their favourite/defining moments as a Warehouse Agent.

All of them events that never actually occurred during the series, and are just fun little vignettes for their own sake. Including an amazing tap-dance musical number :allears:.

42nd STREEEEET!

Warehouse 13 was just an absolute gem of a show.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
So which member of the design team has the eye fetish?

There were waaaayyy too many insanely detailed close-ups of Progeny's eyes for 45 minutes of show.

Apart from that, it felt like a an episode of one of the Star Wars cartoons. And I most certainly do not mean that in any negative way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
I know it's only one episode in and it's a show aimed for kids, but the engineering guy who does the opposite of what you tell him is a gimmick that could get really old really quickly.

ashpanash posted:

Why would a training ship have some sort of incredibly sophisticated (or even different than normal) warp mechanism?

Like I can see how you'd make an experimental ship for that, yeah, but I have no clue why you'd put a crew of cadets on it. That'd be like making the LHC at CERN and populating it entirely with undergraduates.

Time fuckery.

Ship travelled back in time from the future, the big bad guy is the last surviving cadet who really just wants to go home and needs a ship that can invert the tachyon field in its phase array, etc.

Option (b) Federation ships have always had the best medical tech and he needs it to be cured of whatever kept him in the soup can all those years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having a black background so you actually have some contrast to your readouts and controls is pretty important. No matter how advanced holograms get, trying to read a bunch of stats or control something off a floating hologram with the background visible is going to be a lovely experience for the user.

I figured this out playing Deus Ex back in the day (21 years ago :corsair:) when I set the HUD to transparent and realised I couldn't read poo poo.

100% opaque was the only way to go.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Kesper North posted:

Typo in "Energyizing Controls", far left, lol

Linguistic drift :colbert:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
Double post, haven't done that in a while.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, there's a valid reason to do that in this sort of series because it limits how much Janeway can help the kids. The kids have to thrive on their own, and they can't do that if Janeway's able to be everywhere they go to help them.

Plus it gives the kids somewhere private where they can freak out over the genocidal hologram and decide how best to pretend to be cadets so she never vents them to space.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
I was going to keep an eyeball count, but I lost track after about 15.

So many sincere eyeball closeups.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The universal translator as shown has always been a bit of a horror show.

I'm pretty sure the original Trek had an episode with a sentient gas cloud and, when they ran the translator on it, found it was female.

One of the crew asked how the translator could know a cloud was female, and Spock(?) said it was because it was psionic tech. Meaning, the universal translator doesn't just use "predictive speech" it reads your mind.

But that's a single episode from 60 years ago and has most likely been technobabbled out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

The Bloop posted:

Definitely.

But they are now.

I'm guessing Holo Janeway has a secret mission* and has decided to use the "cadets" as her disposable meat puppets.

* it's genocide.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing is, those sorts of people aren’t worth engaging over outside of mockery because who gives a gently caress what virulent racists/misogynists/homophobes/transphobes/in some cases Literal Nazis think about Star Trek?

I will never understand why those fuckers watch Trek in the first place.

"Oh no, my favourite show about an interstellar society based on freedom and tolerance and equality has too many minorities in it!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
So, in the latest Prodigy, given that the enemy of the week is constantly saying "stay", I'm going to guess the Protostar crashing is just another layer of delusion.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. Maybe the plants poked a hole in his suit, they seemed strong enough to do that. He wasn't paying attention to where he was stepping, so he could easily have stepped on a thorn. Or maybe the vast clouds of spores overwhelmed the suit filters.

There are plenty of plausible explanations, it's weird they didn't bother to show us one.

I just checked and when they first opened the cargo bay door, he wasn't wearing his helmet. That must have been when he was exposed, but yeah, it does seem weird they didn't make a point of him taking off his helmet or something.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
Those screens looked absolutely loving baller when they went to red alert, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

It's a tiny ship that was designed to land easily, which lets it deploy and support the jeep. Also doesn't actually have any full shuttles right now, just that half-wrecked one. Also it let Zero practice landing.

Also, going to the surface by shuttle would have meant leaving their incredibly dangerous prisoner, who helped keep them enslaved, all alone on their ship, in space. Far away from anything they could do in case she got out.

Like she did.