Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bellmaker posted:

Yeah I’m not wearing a cloth mask to protect myself (if it does, great) but to keep spreading it everywhere as an “essential” worker if I have it before I’m symptomatic

Yeah, this is the rationale behind all the cloth mask recommendations. It doesn't stop it coming in very well but it's decent at stopping it going out, so if we can get most of the population to wear them the unknowing carriers will not transmit it as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fritz the Horse posted:

edit: holy poo poo his current rambling about how NY needs far fewer ventilators and hospital beds than we thought

this is certainly going to age well

NY appears to be in the process of successfully bending the curve so he's going to claim he was right all along.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://gothamist.com/news/coronavirus-updates-april-11-de-blasio-claps-helpers-bellevue

De Blasio appears to have won (for once) and the NYC school year is over.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monaghan posted:

My province has a positive rate of 0.5%. lm curious to the differences in the state by state in America if the average positive result is 20%.

Test availability is still way too low, so they're only being given to people who are more likely to have it. Truly widespread testing would be testing a lot of healthy people and bringing the number down.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

ah yes the homeopathy logic of get more of the thing to cure the thing.

or something. I think

The effective treatment is eating five atoms of bat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*hastily prints up E Pluribum Unus merch*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We're going to have weird semi-sports events like the NBA Horse tournament or WWE avant-garde video segments for the foreseeable future

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shifty Pony posted:

Weren't a bunch of NASCAR folks doing streams of them racing each other in online games?

Until one had a "gamer moment" and dropped the hard-r n-word.

Yes, also one of them ragequit a race after he got rammed off the track

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No chance. People will run screaming back into their homes if they even left in the first place.

Yeah, I can't wait until the order to open everything up coincides with the removal of all the emergency business support programs and then they all go bust anyway because all the customers are staying home voluntarily.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, Vince McMahon really did die in a limousine explosion in 2007.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Random Stranger posted:

I was kind of shocked when it came out a few years ago that only something like 2% of eligible people use the service.

They made the free file page as hard to find as technologically possible without straight up deleting it, it was effectively part of the dark web.

This was so egregious that the IRS held it to be a violation of the agreement that prevented them (the IRS) from developing their own free file service; they're doing that now.

https://www.propublica.org/article/irs-reforms-free-file-program-drops-agreement-not-to-compete-with-turbotax

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I hope these interstate groups are coordinating with each other, too. The northeast and midwest coalitions share a border so they could be merged, then if they annex North Dakota, Montana, and Idaho they can connect to the west coast and form the North United States.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Internet Explorer posted:

Pretty much the next logical step of inter-state compacts.

The next logical step is preemptively banning travel *to* Florida.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Delorence Fickle posted:

It's official now. DC, Maryland and Virginia are now acting as one.

https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/04/maryland-virgina-and-district-coordinating-virus-response/

Capitol Coalition?

Capitol Confederation?

Capitol Wasteland, clearly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Model is going to have to do some serious revising soon to account for these states opening back up.

That's funny, it's outputting nothing but skulls and gravestones now. Are those even in the font?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pacerhimself posted:

You talking about the excavation equipment they own?

Options for storing large amounts of liquid

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean come on, that is literally from a quote saying they were canceling all parades and city events indefinitely. But that "someday" there would be parades, when this is all over. Including a big one for all the heroes that saved new york city, like health care workers.

It's basically the literal opposite of this "fwd:fwd:fwd: loony liberals" facebook meme you saw and are spreading. Saying we would not be having parades any time soon, not saying we would have a parade.

https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1252610038516068358

TBF this is a rewording of an earlier statement that sounded worse. But he's absolutely not proposing a parade right now like was originally posted.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

"ehhh that's probably good enough for most cases"

TBH this is how basically all of biology and anatomy works

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This seems like it'd be an SMBC comic.

Isn't that basically the plot of Accelerando?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

robotsinmyhead posted:

Of all the "low death rate" things we've seen the chuds scream about, they seem to forget we live in the US. Even a short stay in-patient, or even a trip to the ER is gonna wipe out a lot of people's savings.

I've got full health insurance, savings, and one of those dumb rear end health savings accounts and I STILL don't wanna deal with a trip to the hospital.

Aren't you glad Congress never got around to banning that thing where if one doctor talks to the wrong other doctor anywhere in the hospital suddenly you owe an extra $10K?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We're lucky he doesn't know about endoscopes, he'd demand you hook up the UV deathray to one and stick it in your lungs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grayly Squirrel posted:

There are some people who genuinely just have amazing insurance through their jobs. I have a $0 co-pay and $0 premium insurance policy that covers everything-- even ambulances. There is an optional rider for prescriptions that costs $200 a month. I also happen to work in the public sector, and my insurance is self-funded by the political subdivision. So I essentially have single payer. There are other options I could have chosen, but for the life of me I don't understand why anyone would. The other options cost hundreds or even thousands a month in premiums, plus co-pays, for less benefits. I'm sure it has something to do with public bid law, or the like.

That is obviously not representative of just about anyone else in America. But I am sure there are plenty of people who also work for my employer, and do not have the self awareness or critical thinking to understand the unique privilege this particular benefit is. So I'm sure they think American health care is just fine, and everyone else is just stupid for not picking the right plan from the choices their employers offer.

Yeah there's basically three categories that are fine with the US system and will resist attempts to change it:

-Has really good insurance set up and paid for by someone else
-Is lucky enough to have never had a major health crisis or reason to interact extensively with health insurance at all
-Is literally employed by the current system

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jaxyon posted:

Many Americans live in bubbles listening to propaganda blasted at them 24/7, but also we're a really racist and stupid country.

We've also absorbed a lot of attacks on public health care, instigated by those three groups (mostly the third).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder when reality will set in for Trump because basically the only thing keeping that fucker going right now is his insistence that the economy will explode and be better than ever starting as soon as like July.

Reality is not going to set in even after he gets kicked out of the white house. He will think he was unjustly deposed until the day he dies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thanks, Hanks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A lot of the time involved in vaccine creation is making sure it has no long-term side effects and the only way to prove that is to give it to a test population and wait. If you skip that, you run the risk of causing a second different medical disaster down the road. Although, since that would probably happen in someone else's administration, they've probably given this more than a little consideration.

The best we can do is what we're already doing- develop as many different simultaneous ideas as we can afford, so if one of them works it doesn't have to wait for any others.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Squalid posted:

what i really hate about this is the implication insurance people were totally aware of the risks and implications of a modern pandemic, even when political leaders were apparently oblivious.

Same as the military having plans for war with Canada or whoever- they made it someone's job to think of everything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Can't wait for the first exchange of fire between federal and state forces

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
NYC went "gently caress it, anyone who comes to a school gets a meal, no questions asked" a while ago. I haven't kept close track of it but I also haven't seen reports of mass starvation throughout the city so it probably helped.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it’s more or less an ecosystem built around a large chunk of the population being culled by humans every year. If that step is taken out the whole thing is disrupted. You can’t keep them for next year and you can’t just let them go so there’s nothing to do but slaughter them and dispose of the carcasses because butchery isn’t available.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've got a garage and a chainsaw, how hard could it be?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Florida has 35,000+ cases and over 1,300 deaths that they're acknowledging (for now), so no they have not avoided the worst. One of the features of corona is it can take several weeks for someone who is sick to die.

They are also trying hard not to acknowledge deaths unless absolutely unavoidable, so it's almost certainly much worse than they're letting on.

But on the other hand, they also got a disproportionate share of federal resources because they're a right-leaning swing state, so who knows.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VH4Ever posted:

"Why can't more people be more creatively evil and pedophilic?" - A totally normal person

Not even that, just do something more with your insane wealth than sit on it and watch the number get bigger. If we're going to replay the Gilded Age can we at least get some respectable public institutions and giant ridiculous construction projects out of it again? Why aren't they trying to make their mark upon the world in some way beyond baking oligarch-friendly policies into the government? Somebody step up and be the next Carnegie.

Basically where is that bit character from the one Simpsons episode who introduces himself by saying "Son, I represent a group of oil tycoons who make foolish purchases"

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 4, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You will also have to find a way to fend off the incoming lawsuit for IP theft, no matter how baseless it may be.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cage-free egghead posted:

Was that the model that had some ridiculous timeline to 0 deaths daily? Like weeks?

Yes. The only more optimistic model was the one Trump ordered his cronies to fabricate to make him feel better.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SpaceDrake posted:

Right now the virus has a US fatality rate of about 5% - 1.2 million infections vs. ~69-70k deaths as of today.

It's 5% because we're badly undertesting and strongly biased towards people who already have it (symptomatic or high risk). Other countries with good responses aren't seeing numbers that high.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stickman posted:

We could have issued homemade mask recommendations early, but with low compliance, low population infection rates, and less information about how covid was transmitted, authorities were concerned that they may actually be counter productive and encourage people to be less strict about following distancing and stay-at-home guidelines.

It also took a while to settle on droplets as the main form of transmission, we thought it was primarily surfaces at first.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kaal posted:

It's a violation of GoFundMe Terms of Service to raise money for illegal activity. The first couple might skip through the cracks, but eventually GoFundMe will crack down to avoid prosecution for aiding and abetting.

Not just illegal activity, they banned legal defense fundraisers a while back IIRC. Too many wannabe George Zimmermans and Kim Davises were signing up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paradoxish posted:

What the gently caress is even the point of doing this?

Antivaxxers already do this for other diseases, it's not rational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

No loving way he sticks to this.

Ideally this will result in Congress presenting him with a must-sign bill that was developed entirely without White House input