Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

rotor posted:

golf courses are dumb but not "flooding square miles of the desert under 4" of water to get three rice crops a year" dumb

it's even worse than that, they use more water than rice to grow hay (which is then fed to animals).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

john conway died of coronavirus :(

first casualty of the disease

RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP5-iIeKXE8

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

epoch times is the falun gong paper, right?

yeah, which explains some of their youtube ads (i get them too, even though i try to be very careful with the videos i watch). one of them was just the nerd with his dumb vest yelling "we've just been attacked" by communists in Hong Kong or something like that.

i somehow avoided hearing anything about falun gong until earlier this year. we got pushed on their dance troupe really hard, tons of youtube ads, a slick promotional magazine, fliers. it was a pretty extensive advertising campaign, it must have cost them a fortune.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i need the leaf blower for all my houseplants. the jungle room really sheds leaves this time of year.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you are spending any money on a video game and expecting some sort value, you need to learn better spending habits

my thousands of dollars in fortnight skins give me incredible value thank you very much

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah there are fewer traffic fatalities, fewer deaths from other communicable diseases, but maybe more deaths due to delayed treatment or people shy of going to the hospital. plus whatever covid throws at us. it’s definitely a useful exercise and the fact that you can see clear excess deaths means that this is an extremely serious disease. i guess what excess deaths gives you is “given the boundary condition of X covid-19 cases at the start of the crisis, what is the total effect of the interventions undertaken by a country”, which is clearly pretty useful.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

sure, my only point is that it will be a pretty active research area trying to get the numbers as precise as possible. day-to-day one has to run with whatever numbers one has, but it is probably 5 years before we get really thoroughly put together country-spanning studies that will tell as complete a story as we can.

oh yeah i agree, actually disentangling the data and saying how many people actually died of a coronavirus infection is going to be very difficult. i just hope experts can learn something from this and the next time there's a pandemic we'll be well-prepared and act accordingly

(lol)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ive definitely struggled pretty hard throughout the lockdown period. the group I ended up in is pretty dysfunctional and the research is, well just not that interesting anymore. plus the lockdown started right in the middle of a big hardware task and I simultaneously just want that off my mind but also dreading it because it’s going to be a loving huge pain, especially because social distancing is just going to make it harder.

i just have the feeling that I used to like doing what I do before getting my current position, and I’ve just been ground into a paste and I just kind of don’t enjoy it right now. so it’s very difficult to actually get any work of note done at the moment.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

this is my favourite covid visualization. you can see the real loser countries

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/?tr...=United+Kingdom

holy poo poo it looks like it’s going up even faster now. but maybe I’m just getting confused by the x-axis.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

President Beep posted:

recommendation for an inexpensive but decent handle?

personally i go for old crow, but evan williams is also a dece choice

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

lol i only got the trunk v branches reference just now despite several years using cvs and svn. i had associated it with like a trunk you would put clothes in

lmao i was going to post the same. maybe because i first heard it when i was younger and somehow couldn't form the tree analogy, so i short-circuited to that because "well it just contains a bunch of stuff like a trunk"

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

qirex posted:

product idea: ventilator with a lovely loud exhaust note

"loud pipes save lives"

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i always wonder how often they clean the equipment. like there’s always flour everywhere and little bits of whatever they’re making in random places.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i was considering doing garlic, it's apparently the most calorie-dense thing you can grow per square foot of yard

but really any root vegetable should be good. babby likes carrots

sweet potatoes are also another high-yielding crop. but hardneck garlic is nice because you get a bonus of garlic scapes.

the other end of the spectrum is something like amaranth, typical seeding rates are something like a pound per acre since the seed is so tiny. also has a decent amount of protein.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i wish i had a garden, ive got like a few square feet on my balcony, at best. and now my balcony is made of charcoal-colored wood so it gets extremely hot during the day, much to the detriment of my plants.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i've been buying a bunch of homebrewing equipment, i figure it's the logical extension of my isolation-induced bread baking. i'm too afraid of how much beer i would drink if i had a keg though so i'll have to stick with bottling. if i had a nice cold keg of good beer sitting around in my apartment i think the barrier to drinking would just be too low. then once i figure out all-grain brewing i can hoard a giant bag of matled barley to sit next to my giant bag of rice and giant bag of flour.

also good job HAIL eSATA-n. i'm too afraid of the 'rona (and also conflict in general) to do that.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

imo all the tech bros fleeing the valley should have their salary cut be redistributed to like the custodial staff and poo poo. plus some to whatever community they're moving to.

and while im at it the bosses salary should also be cut but lol if any of that ever happens

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Methanar posted:

Its starting to get dark out at 8pm.

:(

The sun will be completely down by 5pm in 8-10 weeks.

yeah it loving sucks, we lost a whole summer to this bullshit.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

on the plus side i guess i can eat more hot soup, that's always pleasant. plus blankets are nice and cozy so its not all bad.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

can you post your recipe? i tried to make some the other day by guessing the ingredients but it was missing something i couldn't put my finger on; tasted awesome with a little chili garlic sauce mixed in but it never tasted quite like hummus. maybe I didn't add enough tahini

if it tastes good, but not quite "like" whatever it may just be the salt/acid/fat content. beans need enough salt to be palatable, under-seasoned beans just taste like meh, but once you get the salt they really come together. same with refried beans, not enough salt and it just tastes like bean paste, add enough salt and it tastes like refried beans. IMO hummus usually has a decent tang to it as well, so you need to add sufficient acid to get it there. then you also need enough fat to get the texture/mouth feel right, from the tahini/olive oil.

it's also a bit weird since blending the chickpeas hot can help with smoothness, but that will heavily bias the taste. i'd usually blend hot with garlic, then mix with the other stuff (salt, lemon juice, seasonings) until it tasted right. but it almost always tasted different after it cooled down.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

i really hate this term

mm that new travis scott burger hit me right in the mouth feels

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i looked up the duggars wikipedia page out of curiosity and it's weirding me out that of jim bob's (lol) children, one son has his own wikipedia page and 5 daughters have their own page.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

where i am they have these weird non-binding refernda/propositions. this year i get to vote on:

- should [xxx county] continue to put law enforcement and public safety as its top budgeting priority?
- should [xxx county] stockpile ppe for healthcare workers and vulnerable populations for a future wave of Covid-19?
- should [xxx county] continue to support and fund training that decreases the risk of injury to law enforcement and suspects?

i wish we could just change the budgeting priorities magically by voting, spending money on poor people or schools or green infrastructure would be pretty cool imo.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

lol

im just not sure if there’s anything else to say

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-10/home-made-covid-vaccine-appeared-to-work-but-questions-remained

quote:

Home-Made Covid Vaccine Appeared to Work, but Questions Remained
Even though his experiment yielded a promising result, Zayner found too many unanswered questions to say that it worked. For one, it wasn’t clear whether antibodies he found in his own body in extremely tiny measures before the experiment began made a difference. Zayner has long-believed that biohackers such as himself have the potential to make science move faster. In June, he told Bloomberg News that Covid-19 presented "the perfect opportunity" to show just what biohackers can do.

Now, his message is decidedly different: “Human beings — their biology is so complex,” he said in a recent interview. “The results are going to be messy. The experiments are going to be messy. So you test 30,000 people so that the messiness kind of averages out.”

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

im the wobbly fan at 0:35

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

you can also just watch this dude’s youtube where he rides around the world on a unicycle. i think he’s totally unsupported. i haven’t seen them all im sure it gets boring after a while. he even camps by the roadside and eats beans from tins or whatever it is british people do.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLocRYksAqGOJnr-Y0eyP87P5banlFicp4

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i got some spam from a oil and gas geo-imaging company in houston.

no thanks, don’t really want to kill the planet today.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

why do people take their family out to Costco by the way? i went this last thursday an hour before close since local covid numbers were starting to drop and i figure id better stock up in case thanksgiving plunges us into an insane superspreader hellscape.

but at least half of the carts were a couple or an entire family, with kids.

i don’t see it as much at other stores. its loving plague season your kids or your partner probably don’t need to be there. ill make an exception for parents whose childcare duties preclude going alone, but like your teenage daughter or your partner probably don’t need to come along.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ive been using the google maps busy-ness estimates to gauge when to go to avoid most people. within an hour or two of opening or within an hour or two of closing mid-week is the best. weekdays are supposedly more busy. it also has some “live estimate” of how busy but i don’t know how accurate it is since it could have a pretty small sample.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i know several english-as-a-second-language people that always call it "traders joe" for some reason. maybe they're secretly yospos.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

my favorite part of aldis is the weird pseudo-brand names they have

the chips are named clancy's which i always found weird

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

for milk and eggs it’s true that the immediate production of them does not require killing an animal. but both of those come only from female animals. so you have to either destroy the males or rear them for slaughter. for chickens it’s pretty easy to get around this, you just need a machine to sex the eggs and then destroy the male eggs. that exists but is not widely used yet.

for cows i don’t know if it’s possible to eliminate entirely the supply of excess calves. in order for a cow to produce milk it must have had a calf, and the cow will only produce milk for about 10 months after giving birth. so a dairy cow will produce several calves during its milking lifetime.

so if your goal is to not slaughter animals for human use then chickens may be possible with a little technology, but for cows slaughter is just a necessary part of the cycle of producing milk.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

President Beep posted:

after i poured the must into that bottle there were these little granular thingies on the bottom of the pan and I immediately thought "ooooh! little honey crystals!" and ate some. nope. diammonium phosphate and food-grade urea that i'd added. :eng99:

no i think those were the bees' JO crystals.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

for yeast you can definitely add too little. it's typically referred to as "underpitching" and can result in off-flavors from stressed out yeast. i think it's largely because of the nutrients and oxygen yeast need to multiply. the yeast doesn't really multiply once it's anaerobic and converting the sugars to alcohol, so if you don't add enough initially it can have a poor fermentation. i don't really know the mechanism for this, yeast has a pretty complex lifecycle but apparently it has some preferred population when it does fermentation and outside of that it gets stressed out.

in dry yeast, the yeast is actually grown in the lab in oxygen-rich environments where it multiplies aggressively. then it's quickly dried in the high-oxygen and healthy state. so when you pitch dry yeast it will use the oxygen and nutrients from the lab growth to multiply in the mead and get a healthy population going for the anaerobic stage. after it ferments it will drop out (flocculate) and drop to the bottom, forming a yeast cake and clearing up the mead.

but it's actually a large range as far as i know, so if your yeast started quickly and the airlock is lively then it's fine. if you got close with eyeballing it then it's close enough.

and yeah the champagne yeast will get you a pretty dry product. honey is very fermentable by yeast, they can easily eat most of the sugars. and i think champagne yeast is a high attenuator, that is it will eat most of the sugars available before flocculating.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mediaphage posted:

i love fermentation, it's so nutbar. definitely a reason i pursued micro. and we're on the cusp of unbelievably wild work with microbes, way more than we've ever done before, which is already impressive! transgenic yeasts give us all sorts of useful stuff.

yeah this is kind of a simple example but i thought it was neat: https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/sourvisiae/. they added a gene to make lactic acid to brewer's yeast, so you can make sour beers without a mixed fermentation or kettle souring. i'd definitely be on board with using transgenic yeast, but i figure it may be a while before the homebrew market gets a lot of the new interesting stuff.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

drat i wish i could do a weed, but alas my job.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

beans are real good too in pressure cookers, it really cuts down the cooking time on them.

then you can stockpile pinto beans (or any other bean) along with your rice and flour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

But you can use it as a pot on the stove, you just have you use no/a different lid. :smug:

lmao i actually do this all the time.