Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

They are quarantining us in our individual buildings and breaking up teams between them. Im gonna slowly drip the idea of regular remote work into my bosses ear, since hes trapped in the other building.

half this company give remote work out like candy im gonna break the other half with corona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

managements starting to get more jittery and is probably going to wfh the entire computer touching department

stocked up on beans of all varieties :cool::coffee:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

one of my coworkers is getting grumpy about remote work but the state just shut down so he cant ruin this for everyone

Shaman Linavi posted:

all non-essentials told to stop using the vpn
today going to be a unproductive day

can't wait until I get the email that im working the 4am shift.

look we could either figure out a way to make the vpn work or we could not. the latter required a lot less effort and money.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i fear my boss may attempt to propose a digital happy hour on zoom

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

me and the guys at work are going to play jackbox via streaming at 6pm today to supplement our old "walk to the brewery after work" we used to

:hmmyes:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I like duo's big approve buttons they give me joy each morning as i connect the vpn to the bad computer

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

whole bunch of cops and a medical examiner truck out in the parking lot. thats probably not good.

welp back to forgitting to commit my sql transactions and locking the system

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

assuming this is postgres, because lol why would you use any other database, you can set idle_in_transaction_session_timeout (doesn't have to be global)

shagger sql

we kill open and not processing transactions after 10 minutes now, only 20% due to my own imcompotence

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

had some virtual beers with a coworker last night

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Stereotype posted:

I thought webex was bad, but now I have to use Microsoft Lync for a project and it is somehow worse.

lync is terrible. we got slack but some co workers refuse to move off lync

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

haveblue posted:

went to a wedding at dinosaur bbq once

it was good

every wedding my new york friends have had has been catered by dinosaur bbq its a solid choice

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

MononcQc posted:

hopefully the eggs are rotten so it’s not wasteful of fresh eggs that could feed people

what you too good to catch wedding eggs or something

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

work naps are great.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

works starting to send out feelers for voluntary return and asked what measures would be needed to make us feel safe

also the current ceo ranted about how the media was being unfair to corporations who took employment protection loans. they were only trying to keep people employed and are being attacked for it :jerkbag:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

President Beep posted:

listen, i made it a point to say it was biblical satan, not cool anti-dogma satan.

does he at least like mallrats

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the worst thing about psych meds is the 10 minutes at the beginning of each session my psych spends bemoaning how terrible the internet and computers are

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

More like Fat, 32, shaver.

:eyepop:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Wfh till aug at least. The leadership is desperately trying to make it seem like this is very sad. “The CEO will be the first person back at the office!”

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Im super cool with it but i do support across offices in three timezones and a bunch of already remote people

i do miss the good mexican places by the office. dont miss the 30 minute commute.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

My best friend worked for the state gov in 2008 when they just stopped paying everyone and got his car impounded due to it

ed rendell loving sucked

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

President Beep posted:

chairman i like how

“I like how too”

-pg1, Chairman Pos’s little amber book

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

PA (at least my part of the philly burbs) has been pretty serious about this. Wolf should 100% toss turzai or the spreader in jail. The PA gop sucks poo poo and needs to be shattered.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I once had a twelve hour surgery and i remember nothing between the needle for the anesthetic going in at 6 am and waking up strapped to a table with a respirator in the icu for recovery the next morning? Two days later? I have no real timeframe for when I woke up.

Anyway hr keeps asking if we feel safe returning to work and I keep mashing that “Nope” button in the survey. Gonna ride this out till september guaranteed . I see no way for us to go back to the old normal at this point.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

this is one unexpected benefit to having a kid in daycare during quartimes. their anti-covid protocols are also anti-everything protocols. normally we’d be sick roughly every third week at minimum

aside from masks and social distancing (and even masks should still be worn if you are sick) all of this poo poo is thing we probably should be doing anyway. its insane the amount of stuff we are going to go back to not cleaning once we open em up

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

end small business sinecures
covids trying its best give it time!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fart simpson posted:

well i mean none of the health experts were really saying masks didnt work because they honestly believed they didnt work. they were lying to prevent a run on masks so there were enough for healthcare workers. maybe the government shouldnt constantly ruin its credibility if it wants people to listen

the Surgeon General was saying it very loudly but lol at trusting anything that comes from a trump appointee

or anything out of the current us government

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

my grandpa spent the korean war touching telephone equipment in japan my blood was cursed before my father was even born

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

CWRU is the CMU of cleveland

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

my friend just had their lease terminated because the landlord wants to renovate their house so he can rent it to professors at the local universities

hes in for some bad news soon

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

man ohio is like the world capital of midwestern carny germ-fests. put-in bay, kalahari, cedar point...
sandusky will be made to pay for their crimes one day

cleveland made the mistake of not absorbing everything in cuyahoga county back in the day and now the suburb domimated state gov will do everything in their power to defend their fiefdoms

columbus is allowed to grow like a huge boring ameoba

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

the absolute worst part of denver is Stapleton (soon to be renamed because its namesake was a loving klan dude)

There is an almost identical development (sans tower) in higlands ranch i used to walk by. for more than half a mill you get an amazing view of 470 and a wastewater treatment plan

and dozens of baby prarie dogs :3:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

walking around highland ranch after 6 is great because its a desolate ghost town of nothing but prarie dogs, rabbits, and magpies

there are also sidewalks which is nice

im sad the covid cancelled all trips so i cant got to denver and go hiking work out of that office this year

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

boat owners of yospos

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i cracked 3 windshields on my legacy in two years. when i finally got a third part replacement i got the recall notice about lovely subaru windshields

other than that love the car

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lmao like half my team has some sort of trip planned to hotspots in the next few weeks rip to them

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

has anyone said flughazi yet

if we lose a mod to covid we can revisit this

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i think dives are doing ok because they tend to have food that does well in takeout (burgs and wings and poo poo) and also the complete disintegration of liquor laws (though bars in pa have always been takeout friendly about beer)

one around here just reclassified a few of their regulars as employees and them and the normal employees just watch movies while sitting 6 feet apart from each other

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

this sounds like a plot from an upcoming ep of it’s always sunny

if you replace the old dudes with nothing else in their life who would probably die alone in their houses with hilarious characters than yeah probably!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my company keeps sending surveys out with stuff like "when do u wanna return to the office" and apparently nobody wants to return since now the september return date is looking to be pushed back even further :toot:

:same:

im gonna push it as far back as possible

then gonna keep trying to work from home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

we did a corona safe laptop pickup a bit ago and I finally got around to setting it up and the dock requires two power adapters to run

the last dock I had would constantly click for some reason, couldn't maintain a usb connection for more than an hour, and would regularly bluescreen the computer when I plugged it in

put it back in the box. I haven't moved my laptop more than once since wfh I can unplug three cables

lenovo your poo poo is garbage