Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I got my platinum a couple weeks ago and am in the middle of my NG+, so forgive me if this is an issue that's already been discussed in this long thread.

I played about 3/4 of my first game in Normal difficulty then bumped it to Hard through the end. Hard+ hasn't been that bad -- except for the duels. I've been getting my rear end kicked, usually needing a dozen or more tries. So I wanted to see if there were armor/charm builds that would give me a bit of help. Instead, I found a build a guy came up with that completely breaks the game, duels and otherwise.

I'm curious if anyone has used a build like that. After wrecking a couple of missions, I'm thinking that I'll only use it for duels, not because I think it's cheating (it's not) but because it takes the fun out of the game. There's a place for god mode, but the combat and stealth are so fun I don't know how people could use it for the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

I have not but I'm interested in seeing what it is, I like breaking games and I lost to tadayori so loving many times that even after I did finally beat it, my guy said "ah, Tadayori's rest" when the game loaded for the rest of the day

Here it is. It relies on building resolve faster than you can spend it, which means you can spam Heavenly Strike against everything. And when I say "spam" it, I don't mean you can use it more than you normally do, I'm talking using nothing but Heavenly Strike. I took out two villages and had to hit health a couple of times maybe. It's like there's an "Ungodly Massacre" button with no limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zptY7cpiRC4

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I've managed to stick to my self promise to not use the infinite Heavenly Strike build except for duels (gently caress you Ryuzo). Now I'm having fun with an infinite Focus and arrows archery build. I like it because it has a bit of god mode feel but unlike the HS build, you still have to aim (for head-shots), so it doesn't feel quite as cheaty. Basically, through the right combo of armor and charms making head-shots consistently allows you to stay in Focus indefinitely and end up with no net loss or even a gain in arrows when it's all over.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwejIk8Rs4w

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

Been using this like mad and it's awesome, especially with the "make combat insanely violent" charm. I'm missing one of the charms that refills my resolve and it's still basically unstoppable, the only difference is I just have to block every once in a while.

Oh no, you failed to avoid using it! You must be very disappointed in yourself.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

I have no honor. I just saw that archer build you posted too, thank you for figuring these out!

All credit to the people who made those videos. I just stumbled upon them. Glad you are having fun! I'm using the archery one quite a bit, lots of fun.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm a good way into Act 2 on Hard+ and there's been either a sudden massive jump in enemy difficulty or a sudden massive decline in my hand-eye coordination. My already barely competent parry timing has gone to poo poo and I'm struggling in fights I would normally crush.

Also, it's bizarre that they still haven't fixed the disappearing inventory bug this far along.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

If someone from Sony came up to me yesterday and said, "We are going to make a Ghost of Tsushima movie," I would have been really excited. Had they then asked me, "Who would be a good choice to direct it," I might have answered, "I don't know, how about the guy that did John Wick?"

Sony is making a Ghost of Tsushima movie directed by the guy that did John Wick.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/ghost-of-tsushima-movie-sony-1234938130/#!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I wonder if they will cast the actors from the game. I'd be fine with it, but we know how studios are, they aren't likely to want all unknowns (relatively) for a movie like this. If they do recast, I'd like to nominate Michelle Yeoh for Lady Masako.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

A vidyagame movie I can have the slightest hope for? :monocle:

You have to think that at the very least, we're going to get stupendous action scenes. Whether he handles the rest well is up for grabs.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Earwicker posted:

there was a second mongol invasion of tsushima and other islands a few years after the one in the game, which seems like an obvious setting for a sequel, tho i really hope they go somewhere else. korean peninsula or something maybe

We know they are going to make more than two of these games so I think Jin needs to spend the second game clearing his name and or ending up in a position of power. Then do the second invasion in the third game.

Given that the game already has historical anachronisms, later games could have a lot of fun with the Sengoku period (I think someone mentioned it earlier, it was 150 years of the most batshit insane civil wars, power grabs, backstabbing leaders, just crazy poo poo). Hell, they could do multiple games with that.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Epi Lepi posted:

Do we know? I'd like more information on that if so.

It hasn't been announced but there's two reasons we can be reasonably confident that one is coming.

First, it made a shitload of money. I mean, do I even need to say anything else? I don't think a company that put out a hugely popular game that is a natural for further stories is going to say, "Nah, we're moving on." They did multiple sequels/stand-alone expansions for their last franchise, so it's not like the concept is foreign to them.

Second, Sucker Punch has posted two job openings, the latest in January, that appear to point to a sequel or at least an expansion. The January posting is for a Combat Designer and in the requirements, "must have played Ghost of Tsushima and understand its core combat systems."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Geo Fixer posted:

An expansion I could see but a sequel I don't know.

What makes you skeptical?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Watching my son play, how the hell did I miss that if you bow to a bear you've killed, Jin says, "Forgive me."

Anyway, thinking more about the movie, hopefully this wasn't discussed... I'm curious as to how much you all think the movie should lean into the supernatural stuff, if at all. Also, they obviously can't have most of the side character stories, which one(s) would you keep and which would you ditch?

I think I'd prefer losing the supernatural altogether. I think it's silly in John Wick (like the all powerful assassin's guild isn't goofy enough) and although it wouldn't be as out of place in an ancient samurai setting where mythology was still tightly interwoven into the culture, I'd prefer it be left out.

On the side characters, I'm torn between which ones whose story I like best and which ones would best fit into the movie's narrative structure.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

SuperKlaus posted:

Just began playing this and I read the tips in the OP and I want to know what else a new starter should know.

Looking at the tips at the beginning of the thread....

quote:

When doing standoffs, watch the feet/legs of your opponent. They will try to fake you out with upper body movements, but afaik will not actually take a step until they are really attacking

This is good advice, but there's something else to remember. The stand-offs are much more forgiving about being late than early, particularly on the first attacker. Don't feel like you have to have crazy reflexes to win stand-offs, I'm the proof, because I rarely lose them despite being old as hell.

quote:

-Do the Arrow Peak shrine and get the charm of Inari, it gives extra supplies and materials when you pick them up (thanks History Comes Inside!!)

This is critical if you are a hoarding rear end in a top hat who wants to get as much loot as possible as soon as possible so you can buy cool poo poo as soon as possible. You can keep the Inari charm in a slot in your fighting armor early on when you don't have enough charms to fill all of the slots, but eventually you won't want to have one taken up by a resource booster. Once that's the case, I put that charm in the traveler's outfit and wear it whenever I'm, well, traveling. Then I switch into whatever real armor is most appropriate for a fight.

Always pet the foxes. Because they are foxes and should therefore be petted. This will not improve any stats but will make you a better person.

And although it's not the same game, I just wanted to throw this in: gently caress Ted Faro.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My favorite bug that has been coming up all of a sudden is getting a head shot on a brute but it doesn't kill them and then they run around with an arrow sticking out of their face.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 19, 2021

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

Are you sure you haven't just upgraded your bow? Enemy health increases as you progress and headshots are not instant kills, they just have very high damage multiplier.

No, I literally have every upgrade in the game, including cosmetics. This is a NG+ on Lethal+.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

lessavini posted:

Just got the game on a sale. Should I go Hard or Lethal? (Soulsborne vet here)

I'm old with shot hand/eye coordination so I started the game on normal. Even with my decrepit skills, I bumped it to Hard about two thirds into the game and could have done it earlier as I'd become pretty unstoppable. I'm doing my NG+ in Lethal+ and I'm definitely having to compensate for my waning skills. That means being an even sneakier poo poo, using the infinite arrow/focus archery build a lot, and falling back on the virtually invincible Kensei build for duels. If you're a Souls player though, I'd think starting on Hard would be a no-brainer and you'll probably end up on Lethal before you finish your first play.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Earwicker posted:

yea i like the colorful flowers too, i did full color for my first playthrough and lethal kurosawa mode for ng+

i know ive said it before but it bears repeating, imo the one big thing this game is missing is a duel mode. the duels in the single player campaign were great and some kind of additional or unlockable mode where you can duel those straw hats, any of your allies from the story, or any other player in a 1 on 1 setting would be a perfect dlc (or mode for the sequel i guess)

I think I said it before, but I really wish they'd allow you to replay camps after you've beat the game. After I'd done literally everything in Spider Man, it was fun to go back and redo the many bases. Once you've beat everything in GoT, you only get to fight Mongol patrols and bandits and such. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to implement.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Earwicker posted:

a Mongol history based game would be fantastic but would need to be more of a horse combat/large scale battle game like Mount and Blade rather than a sneaking around game like Tsushima

Ironically, during the time of the Mongol invasion, the Samurai were much more mounted archers than they were swordsmen. The katana hadn't even been developed yet.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm really interested to see what the player base split on the choice is, seems like everyone here so far, including me, made the same one

I spared him. It made sense in both directions. It was the best, "gently caress you," to Uncle rear end in a top hat and was consistent with Jin's development.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 5, 2021

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Captain Beans posted:

end game spoilers
I felt like the poison everyone mission and then the later reveal that the mongols are going to turn around and use the poison on the japanese was pretty good, but we needed another instance of major blowback from Jin's less savory activities to really push uncle over the top. Maybe something where a mission goes wrong and a bunch of civilians get killed specifically because of Jin's ninja activities.

Had they not portrayed every single village as being all but wiped out, they could have given themselves an out. If you leave the villages largely intact, you can later have the Khan retaliate for Jin's ninja massacres by backstabbing or throat-slitting an entire village, children, the elderly, everyone. But apparently he's more or less already doing that so that card is played.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Game of the year.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Skill Up has posted his review. TLDR is that it's worthwhile but improvements are incremental. Cool new horse attack with a burst of speed into a crowd of enemies. Iki story is good but not long, maybe three hours if you go straight through, ten if you are a completionist, so we're not talking Horizon Frozen Wilds level size.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

except in duels. duels are tricky

Which means I have to get to playing and find out if the invincibility build works on Iki.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 22, 2021

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

JBP posted:

If you use the upgraded ranged charm and armour it's surprisingly easy because you can focus for a very long time.

Will the Tadayori-headshot/infinite focus build from the base game work the same way? For that matter did they nerf the Kenshei infinite Heavenly Strike build for Iki island?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

If I were a huge war nerd with the context of all world history behind me, maybe I would appreciate that scene more

I can't say this without sounding like a dick, but you really don't have to be a "huge war nerd" to know that commanders throwing men at the enemy like they were disposable is not some weird, freakishly rare thing that you have to have gone to West Point to know. You pretty much have to have consciously ignored or avoided history to not be aware of it. And even if that's the case, should the writers in the game remove story elements with strong ties to reality because some percentage of the players might be ignorant of that reality?

I guess ultimately I don't understand why a headstrong man who had already led a suicidal charge into thousands of invaders pushing hard after a setback took you out of the game but foxes taking you to magic charms or a pissed off old lady cutting down bandits like she was loving Darth Maul didn't.

Edit:

Bust Rodd posted:

You’re all tripping over yourselves to be war nerds without actually reading what I’m posting, I literally do not care how many examples you have of generals consuming their own troops on an altar of blood, it’s DUMB

Of course it's dumb! That's the loving point! The game is not asking you to give equal weight to both men's point of view on that particular issue, it's pretty clearly saying that the old man is a loving idiot and it's time to make a clean break.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 22, 2021

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m ok tabling this since we’ve all repeated ourselves 50 times without getting anywhere… hey I guess I’m Ishimura after all!

Fair enough.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Pierson posted:

The game looks so good on PS5 it's unreal, I thought Forbidden West looked great but GoT's style is a level beyond. I'm starting from scratch to go through it all again.

Does Lethal have any rewards associated with it?

Think about how insane the sequel will look as a native PS5 game. I can't even imagine what they can do with that much more power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Did everyone see that Chad Stahelski is pushing to do the movie with an all Japanese cast and do the movie in Japanese with English subtitles? And he says Sony is backing him on it.