Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

At that height you're definitely going to need an 11+ foot hammock.

I cant think of any that are made that long besides from cottage vendors. I'd check out reddits GearTrade to see if you can get one used. Otherwise you may find some cheaper Amazon hammock thats that long. There seem to be 100 variations of the nylon parachute hammock that show up on Amazon so you may find one that long.

Are you wanting a hammock to just lounge in? Or one for actual camping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I am pretty sure I only use two knots when I'm hammocking

I've got whoopie slings for suspension, so those just get a toggle

My tarp ridgeline is pretied with a bowline on one end that receives a toggle, and the other end takes a quick trucker's hitch, and then I open up my snakeskins and I'm done

e: this video is a lot better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUerD-QvFnc

e: oh right, and a couple of prussik knots for holding the tarp, duh.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 1, 2021

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

At that height you're definitely going to need an 11+ foot hammock.

I cant think of any that are made that long besides from cottage vendors. I'd check out reddits GearTrade to see if you can get one used. Otherwise you may find some cheaper Amazon hammock thats that long. There seem to be 100 variations of the nylon parachute hammock that show up on Amazon so you may find one that long.

Are you wanting a hammock to just lounge in? Or one for actual camping?

The two I mentioned are close to 11' but idk what they're like.

I plan on mostly using it for day/weekend-trips by bike.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Yet another thing to be glad at not being super tall. That, and flying on planes.

Really dumb suggestion (keep in mind I am as green a novice hammock person there is) could a tall person get two cheapo hammocks and pay to have someone sew them together making a longer hammock out of the joined bellies? Using a serger or a quilt type sewing join? Or would this end up in comedy injuries?

My old hammock has an external bug bag and random tarp set up, and looks like it could stretch farther than the 5'9 it has to now.

Also, I don't know if it would be true long term, but I swear my hammock nest is more comfortable than my (not cheap) bed. Definitely would not be if you crammed another person in, but solo, it's glorious.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Arkhamina posted:

Really dumb suggestion (keep in mind I am as green a novice hammock person there is) could a tall person get two cheapo hammocks and pay to have someone sew them together making a longer hammock out of the joined bellies? Using a serger or a quilt type sewing join? Or would this end up in comedy injuries?

I would think it would be simpler / cheaper / more reliable to pay to have someone sew a custom-sized hammock out of bulk ripstop nylon rather than trying to join two human-centipede two regular hammocks together.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EDITED.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 2, 2022

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The Kammock you mentioned is 11 feet, but none of those included a bug net which is a must for me hammock camping. But I'm in buggy MN. Also keep in mind you're going to need/want a tarp to go with this and an underquilt or pad and topquilt to use while camping as well.

Yeah luckily I have most of the accessories already. I just haven't pulled the trigger on the hammock because of the size thing.

This one is discounted near me and has a bugnet so I might go with that:
https://www.amazonas-ultra-light.com/en/hammocks/hammocks-with-mosquito-nets/moskito-traveller-thermo-xxl

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Safety Dance posted:

I would think it would be simpler / cheaper / more reliable to pay to have someone sew a custom-sized hammock out of bulk ripstop nylon rather than trying to join two human-centipede two regular hammocks together.

Counterpoint: you could leave a piss flap so you don't have to get up at night, if you don't sew the middle.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sockser posted:

I am pretty sure I only use two knots when I'm hammocking

I've got whoopie slings for suspension, so those just get a toggle

My tarp ridgeline is pretied with a bowline on one end that receives a toggle, and the other end takes a quick trucker's hitch, and then I open up my snakeskins and I'm done

e: this video is a lot better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUerD-QvFnc

e: oh right, and a couple of prussik knots for holding the tarp, duh.

that's the way i do mine too. that's a neat trick with the trucker's hitch there.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
A youtube guy I like* was showing off his bottom entry hammock, which seemed.... interesting? I was wondering too when watching it how many dudes just use that as easy liquid egress... One of my less-fun memories of my 2019 Boundary Waters trip was exposing my flanks every time I needed to use the bathroom. So... many... mosquito bites. Actually pondered getting a 'she-wee' but screwing up using it sounds... messy. Hurrah, you get to finish the hike with piss-soaked shorts!

(* Steve Wallis, a very chill Canuck)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/148550-Warbonnet-zippers/page5

There are apparently issues with Warbonnet zippers according to the owner of the company. So it might not be an isolated incident with you just having bad luck.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Pondex posted:

X-posting this from the camping-gear-thread:

Any recs for a hammock for a taller person? I'm 6'7". Most info I've found online says get a Warbonnet or a Hennesy but those are a ways outside my budget. From what I can tell tall people sleep better in a longer hammock (11'+)

So far I have my eye on a Kammok Roo double XL or a Ticket to the Moon King Size.

A number of the Hennessy hammocks stay they fit up to 7'. I can confirm for a older "Explorer Deluxe Classic"

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Is there a trick to getting whoopie slings into an adjustable state? Shug makes it look so easy to tighten/loosen on his video, but I really struggled to get mine to let me do it, but I assume at least some of it is inexperience.

peej
Apr 10, 2009

gaj70 posted:

A number of the Hennessy hammocks stay they fit up to 7'. I can confirm for a older "Explorer Deluxe Classic"

I have an older Explorer Deluxe and it fits me pretty well at 6'5".

Has anybody else tried using NightIze CamJams? Saw them in a store and picked a couple up; they make setup and adjustment really simple. I added a stevedore knot as a stopper. They say each have a working limit of 500lbs and a break strength of 1500. It held me fine overnight last weekend at ~200lbs.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

taiyoko posted:

Is there a trick to getting whoopie slings into an adjustable state? Shug makes it look so easy to tighten/loosen on his video, but I really struggled to get mine to let me do it, but I assume at least some of it is inexperience.

I'm not familiar with that video, but here's what I do:

To loosen / lengthen: Make sure the suspension isn't tight and weighted. Loosely pinch the sling at the loop, where the amsteel goes into the 'tunnel' (made of itself). Pull on the amsteel piece that goes into the tunnel. This pulls the tail through, making the loop bigger and your hang longer.

To tighten / shorten: Grab the sling at the other end - where the tail comes out of the tunnel. Pull on the tail to make the loop smaller and the hang longer.

When I say to grab or pinch the sling, I mean to hold it so that the tunnel is loosely immobilized. That allows you to slide the piece that goes through the tunnel in or out without binding on the tunnel itself.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

taiyoko posted:

I struggle with them some times too, which is why I end up going to beckett hitch then straps, then back to whoopies.

The thing that helps me the most is to pull the gathered end of the hammock towards the tree to take some tension off of the whoopie. Then I can adjust the whoopie way easier once that initial tension has been taken out.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Straps tied in a Beckett hitch are already very easy to adjust ime. Haven’t tried any other suspension though since I’m happy with the straps.

Maybe it’s different if you’re completely exhausted. I’ve only used the hammock for overnights and naps at home. Anything longer and I save weight and take a tent. I will say that the hammock has been wonderful on a couple of insanely wet trips because there’s no need to worry about water when choosing a site.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
man, i managed to sleep funny in my hammock last night and one side of my lower back is just thumping. no idea what i did, i've never had any kind of soreness from sleeping in this hammock before.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I went on a trip a few weeks ago with only a 40F UQ, and a small tarp that didnt do much to block the wind. It ended up getting down to a windy 35 that night and I was so cold I was doing situps in my hammock trying to warm up which did work.

But I could barely bend over without pain in my abs for the next week. Would not recommend.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Loucks posted:

Straps tied in a Beckett hitch are already very easy to adjust ime. Haven’t tried any other suspension though since I’m happy with the straps.
If you're content with Beckett hitch stick with it. Whoopie slings add a significant amount to minimum hang distance unless you do some shenanigans that involve putting the sling partway around the tree.

E: also on my last outing my partner pulled a woopie loop closed all the way and I had to spend 10 minutes fishing the loop out.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My new hammocks showed up and I really want an excuse to use them, but drat it's hot. Not sure if the correct terminology would be sous vide goon, or steamed goon pudding.

Camped last week, and it was 93F/31C. If I head farther due north, I need a passport. Can it be fall yet please?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Arkhamina posted:

Can it be fall yet please?

I feel ya. It's hitting 90 on the regular in New York these days. I want to try out my new hammock setup, but I feel completely zapped of energy when I step outside.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Hammocked on the coast, bought a Hyke and Byke "15 degree" hammock bag that I was generally pretty happy with, but had one cold spot on my side. Hoping that fluffing it up a bit better will help. Seriously looking at the Helios or some variant whoopie slings to replace the 5 pounds of Amazon straps, but I wonder if they're as versatile in regards to tree spacing? Reviews seem to either indicate too long or too short, and I don't know if it's user error or if there is some unique characteristics to the system I don't know about.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

When I use my ENO hammocks, I usually carry the XL versions of the Helios or Atlas straps unless I know my spot can accommodate regular straps. Worst case scenario- I just wrap them around the trees a few more times to take out the slack.

Ninja edit: that’s a gorgeous photo and looks like a nice spot to hang.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, Atlas XL is what I have, and drat if it can't accommodate a lot of variation.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

CopperHound posted:

If you're content with Beckett hitch stick with it. Whoopie slings add a significant amount to minimum hang distance unless you do some shenanigans that involve putting the sling partway around the tree.

E: also on my last outing my partner pulled a woopie loop closed all the way and I had to spend 10 minutes fishing the loop out.

When I made my whoopie slings I put a small wooden "pellet" in just to keep that from happening. Highly recommended. If you have an already made one you can add something else to it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
been car camping with the family for over a year and this is the first time we've stayed somewhere i was able to get a decent site, usually i have to cram into a ditch somewhere

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I opted to make some whoopie slings on my own, used some 7/64 dyneema and some generic tubular strapping from Amazon. Worked out great, used about 14' of line for 7' effective max length each sling. 100' of line was cheaper than buying the Helios, and I have more than enough leftover to make a set for my bud for his birthday. I used this video, wish I had watched it before shopping first, I wasted money on a fid that wasn't needed (and didn't fit my line.)

I was especially pleased with my camp craft of throwing up some Tyvek ground cover as a sun shelter. I did an overnight last weekend and the UV index was punishing. It didn't get below 75 overnight, just covered up with a light down blanket and it was awesome. Did relent in the evening and tossed on a bug net after the mosquitos started swarming.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Just spent my first night in my new Warbonnet Blackbird, which went pretty well. Was down to 55F however - I had a pair of surplus wool blankets, on for top, one for an underquilt. I had trouble keeping the bottom one in place, though, since I tend to flop from side to side. Is there a technique to pinning them in place somehow?

My plan is to use the $25 wool blanket as the base of a quilt, sewing on a top sheet. Not sure if I see it into a hammock/canoe shape if that would help. I refuse to spend $300 on a brand specific blanket, though, unless it sings, dances, and makes me coffee in the morning.

(I raised it higher after the picture, and didn't end up needing to deploy the rain fly! )

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Usually you hang the underquilt underneath the hammock so you don’t compress the insulation, although that probably matters less if you’re just using a wool blanket. If you got a double layer hammock you can tuck the blanket between the layers like you would with a pad and that would probably keep it in place fairly well, or you could use some shock cord to suspend it underneath which is what the quilts do.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

If you’re handy with a sewing machine, there are tutorials where you can make your own UQ.

https://www.hammockuniverse.com/blogs/hammock-blog/how-to-diy-an-underquilt-and-top-quilt-for-your-hammock

I will say that my Warbonnet Wooki, though pricey, is incredible.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

When I was starting out I just used a Thermarest zlite foam pad. It wasnt as good as a UQ but worked well enough in mild temps.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Derp. It never occurred to me to hang it under, I assumed it went in!

I thought about in-between stashing, but that was at like 2am and I didn't want to wrestle with it then.

I am sure the wookie is awesome, but I would rather just buy several cheaper wool ones. I also am not particularly an ultralight camper, my trail pack weighs 7lbs empty. Pretty sure the money goes to high tech feather light stuff which is lost on me.

Just got back from a hilly as poo poo 7 mile hike, and the fact that the hammock let my poor abused feet and ankles relax above my heart level is loving amazing. I am so close to installing a hammock in my house somewhere.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i use an aliexpress one and it's needs suiting

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000475603129.html

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

When I go on canoe trips, I always bring my old lovely hammock gear so I don’t get my Blackbird all muddy and lovely

But then uh both zipper pulls broke off my bugnet when I got up to take a 3am piss and I had to Hulk Hogan the mesh apart so I didn’t piss in my hammock and uh

I guess I’m just always using the Blackbird now, which is fine, because it’s so much loving better than my Amazon trash

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Looking at a Dutchware double-layer 11ft netless as an upgrade from my piecemeal setup I have now, anyone have any experience with their hammocks? The hammock itself along with their whoopie hook suspension will be about as light at my current ENO doublenest without the heavy rear end straps I have so I'm excited for a smaller, lighter, and easier hang.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

knobgobblin posted:

Looking at a Dutchware double-layer 11ft netless as an upgrade from my piecemeal setup I have now, anyone have any experience with their hammocks? The hammock itself along with their whoopie hook suspension will be about as light at my current ENO doublenest without the heavy rear end straps I have so I'm excited for a smaller, lighter, and easier hang.

Not personal experience, but I've heard really great poo poo about Dutchware products.

ymmv :shrug:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Never used their hammocks, but Dutch is considered an authority on hammocks by many. They are also famous ("famous") for making tiny pieces of metal in neat shapes that make lashing up your guylines or ridgelines easier.

I met a boy scout Troup on the AT in... New York, I think. The leader and I started talking shop and he inspected my setup to appreciate it, and when he got to my ridgeline with Dutchware stingerz he said '... and you've got some Dutch bling. Nice!'

That's my cool story about Dutchware.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dutch makes great hammocks, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Have you used whoopi slings before? I would tend to caution new hangers against them. I have a pair and seem to use them, then get frustrated, then use them again. You might enjoy using some lightweight straps even better.

I bought some dutch spider straps and buckles to use with evo loops on the ends and the whole setup weighs under 3 ounces. Which is pretty close to what whoopi slings and straps would weigh.

Just something to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Dutch makes great hammocks, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Have you used whoopi slings before? I would tend to caution new hangers against them. I have a pair and seem to use them, then get frustrated, then use them again. You might enjoy using some lightweight straps even better.

I bought some dutch spider straps and buckles to use with evo loops on the ends and the whole setup weighs under 3 ounces. Which is pretty close to what whoopi slings and straps would weigh.

Just something to consider.

Out of curiosity, what do you not like about whoopie slings?