Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

indigi posted:

better name. wtf is a Cade, did George Lucas name him.

It's not common, but I've know a few people with the name.

quote:

English: metonymic occupational name for a cooper, from Middle English, Old French cade 'cask', 'barrel' (of Germanic origin, probably akin to the root mentioned in 1). English: nickname for a gentle or inoffensive person, from Middle English cade 'domestic animal', 'pet' (of unknown origin).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

indigi posted:

better name. wtf is a Cade, did George Lucas name him.

His parents were very excited about the Bears drafting a QB and didn’t wait to see what happened.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Henchman of Santa posted:

His parents were very excited about the Bears drafting a QB and didn’t wait to see what happened.

this literally happened with NFL writer Marc Sessler and Colt McCoy to the Browns

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't know why people keep calling this a five player class when to me it's a four player class pretty obviously. Kuminga's not on the level of the other four...who could easily go #1 in most years. drat, what a stacked top of the draft.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Go9202poDhBLdvUVZenG2fVXJjA3ZVj8TridlYHT-8E/edit
Petey Web's new Kuminga piece is up. Some comments he makes about role and usage make me think that either the ignite setup is too new to put their players into ideal conditions for success or maybe they were putting them in roles teams wanted to see in a way that may not have been to their benefit

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah I think we can guarantee Duarte will be the 16th pick of the draft

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Go9202poDhBLdvUVZenG2fVXJjA3ZVj8TridlYHT-8E/edit
Petey Web's new Kuminga piece is up. Some comments he makes about role and usage make me think that either the ignite setup is too new to put their players into ideal conditions for success or maybe they were putting them in roles teams wanted to see in a way that may not have been to their benefit

When he interviewed with a NBA team the guy doing the interview literally thought his name was "Petey Web" lol

I think it's probably the latter, Kuminga looks like a guy who should be a primary option wing so they treated him like he was. PD touches on this a little bit but I think his most likely outcome is probably something closer to like Harrison Barnes (or Stanley Johnson on the low end)

Metapod posted:

Yeah I think we can guarantee Duarte will be the 16th pick of the draft

Drafting a guy who is going to be like 25 doesn't really seem like a Presti thing but I mean they have like 10 picks now and there are only so many non-college players with 40 inch verts so maybe

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1405919166888964100?s=19

THE MOST NBA READY I feel like I am losing my mind how did this become a thing

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

It's because he has the Will To Win

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jared Butler needs a better agent this should have been him

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I think the most pro ready prospect is Cade Cunningham

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i always think of the "most nba ready" marketing stuff as a nice way to say "he won't improve after his second year in the league"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Old, "NBA Ready" means old.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean that was the moniker given to Brandon Clarke and he's been really good in the NBA.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

i always think of the "most nba ready" marketing stuff as a nice way to say "he won't improve after his second year in the league"

I take it as a combination of that and "has 3 more years physical development so is not 6'9" and 165 lbs". So many NBA prospects are basically projected based on their ability to add 30-40 lbs of muscle and then still play the same way.

It matters a little less now than it used to, given the relative value of wings vs. bigs, and how the modern big is expected to shoot 3s and not just live in the paint. But even then, some of these guys are literally still growing and because they're being picked as teenagers, no one knows how their bodies will actually end up.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I know Poku is going to look like Giannis is a few years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

I mean that was the moniker given to Brandon Clarke and he's been really good in the NBA.

Would like to meet the person who thought he was more NBA ready than Zion.

Metapod posted:

I think the most pro ready prospect is Cade Cunningham

this is also my very controversial opinion

But even beyond that the most NBA ready guy is probably not a 6'1" guy who may or may not be able to shoot. Even beyond the obvious top guys like Cade and Suggs I'm a lot more confident that someone like Moody or Franz Wagner can find an NBA role relatively early than I am Mitchell. Wagner has most of the same strengths but he has a better shooting projection and is 6'8"

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 18, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kirios posted:

clarke had a huge sophomore slump. he was still pretty good but just across the board worse at everything (on offense, i only watched a smattering of grizzlies games so i couldn't say how well he defended)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

clarke had a huge sophomore slump. he was still pretty good but just across the board worse at everything (on offense, i only watched a smattering of grizzlies games so i couldn't say how well he defended)

Someone hosed with his shot so he slumped big from three and was merely good at floaters instead having the greatest floater in the history of basketball. He wasn't even getting minutes in the play-in and playoffs. I still like him and think teams who need a 4 should be trying to steal him from Memphis this offseason but yeah this is a weird time to do a victory lap on him

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

He was actually better on D this year so bare minimum he's a great rotation player. If his shot gets back to his rookie year he's gonna be an All Star. I stand by what I said.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like him a whole lot but he is not going to be an all star

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
You know who will be an allstar? That's right poku baby

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If you can shoot 3s or rebound in college you are NBA ready

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Okc with 3 picks in the first round now.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Calidus posted:

Okc with 3 picks in the first round now.

Possibly 4, if the rockets pick somehow falls to 5

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Think Less posted:

Possibly 4, if the rockets pick somehow falls to 5

If they get the rockets pick they don't get the heat pick this year

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I don’t like the Donovan Mitchell comp at all, but here’s some nice clips of Davion with the ball in his hands. Gonna be a good player in my opinion

https://twitter.com/dxcontent/status/1406302761445212163?s=21

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

MourningView posted:

If they get the rockets pick they don't get the heat pick this year

Ah ok

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mitchell doesn't have the most creative handle but he has nice burst as a straight line driver, it's just going to be hard to leverage it against NBA defenses if he can't shoot. He definitely shot well this year but that was the first time and the free throw shooting was still really bad.

He can be a rotation player there's just no way he has the upside to be worth a top 10 pick in a good draft or is "the most NBA ready prospect"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

straight up brolic posted:

I don’t like the Donovan Mitchell comp at all, but here’s some nice clips of Davion with the ball in his hands. Gonna be a good player in my opinion

https://twitter.com/dxcontent/status/1406302761445212163?s=21

i don’t think he’s comparing him to donovan mitchell as much as he is comparing their rates of improvement from season to season

i don’t see the upside though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People are definitely comping him to Donovan Mitchell a lot

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

oh

that’s a bad comparison!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I know a few Hornets writers like him, how you feel about him as a defensive complement to Melo?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

in theory that’s the kind of role he’s best suited for, guarding point guards and smaller shooting guards and hitting open threes

i think the problem is you have two guards in rozier and graham who already fill that niche and are the exact same size as mitchell, so i don’t know how much of an upgrade he would actually end up being

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Don't draft a guy who's selling point is guard defender with a lottery pick.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

Don't draft a guy who's selling point is guard defender with a lottery pick.

Yep. Especially if they are also old.

Declan MacManus posted:

oh

that’s a bad comparison!

I'm pretty convinced that a big part of him suddenly rocketing into the top 10 is having a similar name and build to Donovan

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

MourningView posted:

Yep. Especially if they are also old.

I'm pretty convinced that a big part of him suddenly rocketing into the top 10 is having a similar name and build to Donovan

This is so funny, said the same thing in another forum. That said, teams also want to pick players who can actually play basketball. It's tough picking guys in the top ten who become complete busts who have a "high ceiling". I get it, if your in the lottery, you need to pick a future star. So you pass on guys like Mitchell and he plays13 years and your team drafts the next Josh Jackson,Mudiay,Bender,Bamba, etc....

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chilihead posted:

This is so funny, said the same thing in another forum. That said, teams also want to pick players who can actually play basketball. It's tough picking guys in the top ten who become complete busts who have a "high ceiling". I get it, if your in the lottery, you need to pick a future star. So you pass on guys like Mitchell and he plays13 years and your team drafts the next Josh Jackson,Mudiay,Bender,Bamba, etc....

If you want to make this argument for him over, like ziaire williams, I disagree but okay. But like I said earlier, there are plenty of guys he's being mocked above right now who seem like just as sure things to be rotation guys to me who are also younger and with more upside. I don't even really understand why he's considered the most NBA ready prospect from the 2020 Baylor backcourt.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 20, 2021

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1406689491633459207?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mac's gonna get drafted and I'll be the first one here to lol at the team that does.

(please don't take a flier on him Rockets)