Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Twitch actually cares about stuff now? Figured there would be a bunch of people streaming the game from early copies but can't find even one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The polygon review has me legit considering not getting the game

I'm trans, and yet I defended the trans billboard in the game because it's 100% on brand for the genre and imo not offensive at all, but as that review says, putting in that but then not also having you meet any positive trans characters, plus the sheer WTF of the "feminine voice gets you female pronouns"... not a good look at all

I think they'll patch the pronoun thing and make it selectable, hopefully, but to even have a build like this is p. shameful

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Reviews are useful but none of these are really saying anything we didn't see coming.

I did not expect the game that prominently features a trans character on a billboard to not actually have any trans characters in it

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

black.lion posted:

Hey so I mean this as a big question with zero rhetorical aim at all - is there a game that has stepped this thoroughly into trans dialog that has handled it better than CP2077 appears to have, based on this review (and others)?

Trans/NB characters have been handled very well in many games lately :confused:

The Missing
CrossCode
Spiritfarer
Horizon
hell even Apex Legends
Even Pathfinder:Kingmaker, the groggiest grog game to ever grog, lets you select any voice for any gender

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Arkage posted:

I'm curious how this is even determined. Does a character need to explicitly say they're trans in the game in order for it to count, despite this society being entirely beyond birth-genderization norms? I'd think that, if anything, when society gets to as advanced a stage as cyberpunk concerning gender and genitalia, there is no longer such a thing as "I identify as a trans because this is a new thing for society and technology doesn't allow me fully biologically transition and etc." Trying to graft on current-day trans dialogue and themes onto a game which is technologically decades/centuries beyond where we currently are doesn't really make sense. The only dumb thing they did was the voice-is-gender thing, which I would hope is an easy patch.

Ahhh, the dumbest argument possible

This game was made in current times for a current audience. The NB character in Discovery equally didn't "make sense" because it's the fuuuuture but so what? The show is for broadcast today, when people need to see themselves represented

So literally, literally who gives a gently caress about "maaaaaaaaaybe every character is trans and they just don't mention it!" I care because if they don't mention it, they may as well not even be trans

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think they mean player character.

You play as a trans character in one of those games, but I won't say which because it's actually a spoiler

Edit: actually, in four of them if you count Apex and Pathfinder

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

Not a shitpost or trying to give CDPR a pass on any of their poo poo

And yet that's exactly what you're doing

Everyone can probably modify their skin color in 2077 too, you think it'd be okay if "well everyone just chose to be white"? Lol.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Somehow this thread is even worse then the previous.

Fanpersons shouting down trans people for wanting representation in a game is very on brand for Games

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

hobbesmaster posted:

Did any reviewer actually understand disco elysium on release for example?

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Disco Elysium

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Empress Brosephine posted:

How come these same people don't cry about representation in Madden

Holy poo poo lol. Now that's a spicy take. Dumbass

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Maybe CDPR could have looked to William Gibson, an author who handled trans characters very well in the 80s and has continued to do so even in his last two novels.

I wonder if they've ever heard of him. He's pretty obscure.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Arkage posted:

I said I was curious what your conceptualization is in identifying a trans character would be in what is supposedly be a truly post-genitalia world, you call my question the dumbest thing ever

No, I said that the argument "maaaaaaaaaybe being trans is no big deal and akshully everyone in the game is trans!" is dumb.

And it is.

Media is made for today. People who exist today, for whom being trans is a big deal, are the ones playing it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The Grumbles posted:

Completely unrelated to trans stuff but as classic as Neuromancer is, when reading it now there's a definite horny fanfic vibe that can get in the way here and there

Oh absolutely. Mona Lisa Overdrive was way better in that regard, and is probably my second favorite novel of all time (first is All the King's Men)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Blue Raider posted:

It’s based on the work of another author, Mike Pondsmith.

Who based his setting almost entirely on the ideas in the works of William Gibson, your point?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Outer Worlds was the Ready Player One of video games. Empty, boring, repetitive pop culture junk that a whole lot of people that should have known better propped up as being great

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Man I really do need to pick up The Pathless

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

rap music posted:

hey guys help me figure out which is sadder

looking forward to a game and talking about it with like minded people

or

hanging out in the thread for a game i'm not looking forward to and selectively posting videos showing the worst of the game at those people because i'm right and they are wrong

It's actually option 3, the thing you're doing

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shammypants posted:

So one criticism was cool stuff (NPCs, street food vendors etc.) are all decorations and you can't interact with them meaningfully. I don't have a problem with that personally, but is anyone going to make (or making) a game that does things a little different? Like a much smaller map but almost everything can be interacted with? Every restaurant can be patronized.. movie theater watched.. street vendor talked to?

It's called Yakuza op

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think the reality is that lots of people SAY they want insanely high immersion and fidelity, but in reality they'd just poke their head into one building, say "cool" and then go do the quests

The actual number of people who are insane enough to want lifelike fidelity is REALLY low

I mean, I'd love it. I've been designing a game like that in my head for the past year, a game where you discover stories and plots by just going to bars and hanging out watching bands or whatever, and you have conversations built ad-hoc by integrating choices other players have made so that you're never actually certain if you're talking to a real person, a completely scripted NPC, or a dynamically crafted mix of both

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I mean it's a bit worrying that one review compares the hacking options unfavorably to Watch Dogs. That's a yikes.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

stev posted:

It's going to be the TLOU2 of 2020. :(

An extremely well polished experience that challenges gamers' notions of right and wrong?

It definitely is not gonna be that lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Vorik posted:

my notions of right and wrong.. forever changed by a video game

I said challenged. And you know, gently caress off dude. It's this lazy kind of "lol games aren't art lmao just imagine thinking a game is deep" shitposting that holds back game developers from even trying.

Like, books and films don't have this problem, but gamers are uniquely awful at appreciating the very artform they claim to enjoy

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The trans character in TLOU2 was really good in my opinion as an Actual Trans Person

But everyone is entitled to an opinion. If someone disliked the game or the issues in it, I can respect that, as their opinion existing does not diminish mine

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

stev posted:

Your character is Ellie, Joel is your character in a different game. You're playing as Ellie when Joel is killed. Also Joel was a piece of poo poo.

And the game doesn't expect you to 'bond' with Abby, it just explores who she is and why she did what she did. Both her and Ellie do brutal, disgusting, hosed up things and lose all sight of who they are or what they're actually fighting for.
It's a real good game.

Hard agree with all this, good post

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

CobiWann posted:

I wish the game had more parts like the "open world" section of Seattle. That's my criticism.

Yeah, would have been cool to have another segment like that later, and weird that it didn't

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

lol every rating of this thread is either a 1 or a 5

Isn't that how ratings generally work everywhere though?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Mirello posted:

Can you guys stfu about last of us? Just talk about reviews for this game, jesus christ

I dunno can people like you STFU about what you think people should STFU about?

Posting about posting about posting about posting... come on...

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm gonna be a trans lady with a huge dick

Haven't decided if I'm gonna get this game yet though. :haw:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

gently caress SNEEP posted:

this thread needs a day 1 patch real bad

Posting this definitely helped. Thank you so much for your service. Make sure to keep posting about posting, it's definitely not worse than whatever posts you're unhappy with.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sedisp posted:

3.6 penis size, not great not terrible

I just spit coffee on myself lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
What a coincidence, only negative reviews get dinged for being poorly written :thunkher:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

BrotherJayne posted:

Full frontal dudes = AO ratings

Talk to the crusty old fucks that do the ratings

... you have seen the character creator right

Also GTA4 had dong

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Just because Jim sterling is sometimes right doesn't make him any less of an absolute loving tool

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Jack Trades posted:

Jim Sterling is a fat hack who does lovely clickbait for a living.

Yeah it's this

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Edit: never mind

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

MagusDraco posted:

Game doesn't have any epilepsy warnings either apparently.

Doesn't literally every video game have epilepsy warnings now? Lol if they forgot

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Theres no loving way a company would be dumb enough to put a literal epilepsy trigger in their game

...right?

Lol 2020 is really going places now!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

Nothing gives people perceived e-cred like loudly proclaiming the exciting AAA release everyone is talking about is actually bad.

How's that corporate dick taste?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like playing as the female character because I can't in real life

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Xachariah posted:

I like playing as a female because I want to be one.

I'm not gay or trans or anything I just think it would be fun to be girly and have cute hair and clothes and stuff sometimes.

You actually are trans if this post is serious.