Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
What I wanna know, is whether the binary penis choice is a design design or a technical limitation. This is a first person game, and you're gonna look at your own dick like, once, maybe twice in the course of the game? So the true user value of the penis selector is for the character creation, then, and everyone wants not a toggle but a slider here - there's a lot to be gained by seeing a dong enlarged or elongated in real time. Guess the tech just isn't ready?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
I decided to check this out on Twitch, opened the three steams with the most viewers, and one dude couldn't get the game started and two dudes played 30 minutes, crashed, and can't boot the game again

Uh-oh?

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Ahh yes, 9 AM, 30 minutes before work, the perfect time to begin my Cyberpunk adventure

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Totally diggin' this game. I wasn't paying super close attention to it and thought it was gonna be a GTA crossed with Skyrim type open world game from the marketing, happy to see it is indeed a story-driven RPG that uses an amazingly atmospheric city as its backdrop. I do, however, imagine people looking for a richer open world experience will be disappointed. Been a long, long time since I just kinda wandered around in a game looking at the sights. Playing on PC and haven't really encountered too many bugs, nothing like New Vegas.

My only real complaint is the RPG stuff is just kinda... there. I usually dig this aspect of games a ton, but all of it seems like % increases with no real fundamental change to the way you play your character. The loot also seems kinda distracting and out of place in a setting like this. Maybe I'll get more used to the systems as I go through the game.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Weasling Weasel posted:

So, i've been sceptical because of the rpg liteness, but if the Witcher 3 was your favourite game of this generation, if not all time, because of the world building, characters, dialog, and even the find all the treasures to get the master armor set stuff, is it worth purchasing yet?

If you have a system powerful enough to play it now (like a PS5 or a decent PC), are willing to risk bugs, and you want something to play over the holidays, for sure. I'm on a newer PC and haven't encountered many bugs at all, so my experience may be different, but I'm totally enjoying it for the same reasons you liked the Witcher. I hear comparisons to Bethesda games and Deus Ex, and I understand them, but the way I'm playing it there some key differences.

None of the Bethesda games have had a remotely compelling narrative or characters - the joy in those games is about exploring the world and doing weird stuff. The world in this game is brilliant as a narrative backdrop, but it's not something I feel compelled to explore for gameplay reasons (it's amazing looking, however, so it's fun to just walk around).

The Deus Ex games had a lot of gameplay mechanics to approach different situations. The solutions to different situations really reflected the gameplay. This game has different ways of fighting enemies, but that's about it - control of how to approach situations is more through dialog decisions, like The Witcher.

The world building, writing, characters are all up to par with the Witcher. Whether you dig them probably depends on how much you like the themes and window coating of the cyperpunk world. There's a lot of asinine conversation on the game online, either people defending it since they got drawn into the hype cycle or making GBS threads on it for a variety of legitimate reasons (bugs) and the usual baggage that a multimillion dollar AAA game comes with these days.

It's definitely good at what it does and if you get lucky with bugs and don't have weird expectations it's a phenomenal experience.

NicelyNice fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 12, 2020

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
How do I remove cyberware mods? I put that garbage mod that gets rid of criticals in exchange for non-lethal kills straight into my eyeball and I can't get it out

"An upgrade" my rear end, get this outta my eye!!!!

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Is it gonna be possible to make open world games going forward that don't have crazy expectations following them? From what I've read in this thread and elsewhere, people expect:
1.) "Emergent" gameplay, like police chases (GTA5)
2.) Being able to talk to everyone in the game and have a conversation (no clue)
3.) Decent exploration, enter every building (Bethesda)
4.) Playing minigames inside the gameworld (Yakuza)
5.) Having a decent narrative and characters (Witcher)
6.) Do "real-life" immersive stuff (Red Dead)

At this point, given the scope of these projects and huge development costs, it's basically pick one, maybe two aspects you want to your open world game to succeed in, but you at least gotta tip your hat to the other areas because it's expected. When they're implemented at a shallow level, though, people will complain - I just don't see how ANY game can satisfy everyone's needs for what they want an open world game to be. Maybe it's easier in a game like Breath of the Wild, where it's obviously a fantasy setting and you aren't trying to mirror a real-life city and the limitations of the game are quite clear.

I guess I'm not too bummed out because I really see the open world in Cyberpunk 2077 as second to the narrative. I didn't even notice stuff like lack of car AI (?) because it's not a system I even really engaged with, like I never really tried screwing with the guards in Witcher 3.

It ultimately goes back to CDPR because apparently their marketing promised the moon, but the expectations on this game really kill what is a cool detective RPG.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Am I screwing something up with Screen Space Reflections (the quality setting)? I turn it on to high and all the textures get a grainy look to them, even the ones not reflecting anything directly. The reflections are really nice, but the performance hit + grain just has me turning this off..

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Player fashion in this game is such a miss. I can’t even ride my motorcycle because I look like such a joke in 3rd person mode. Every NPC looks cool as hell, why are all the clothes I can wear absolutely stupid?

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

veni veni veni posted:

If you play on normal the game isn't hard enough to justify sacrificing looking cool for the sake of stats. I am lvl 17 and wearing a jacket with no armor because it looks dope and the game isn't hard anyways.

May do so, I'm getting a little sick of the disrespect

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why are so many people moaning about this game? It fucken slaps.

I like it more than the Witcher 3 because I'm totally digging the setting and I'm here for the narrative, characters, and atmosphere. Witcher 3 took a hard dive after reaching Novigrad until the Battle of Kael Morhen and this game keeps ripping. The FPS gameplay and RPG stuff is "good enough," much like the Witcher. It also runs perfectly at 4K 60fps with DLSS and looks stunning. Then apparently there's another world where the game is busted enough to be pulled from the PlayStation store

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Womyn Capote posted:

I think the game is great but I'm probably biased because I'm playing on a good PC. I do agree there could be some UI fixes though I'm sure some mods will come along eventually. The consumables is one of the worst offenders. There's 1000 different items but 99.5% of them do the same thing - either food or drink buff, so it would be nice to just have a button that just eats for you and picks randomly what to consume without having to go into the inventory>backpack>consumables>grid of 1000 items. Honestly that's one of my biggest nitpicks about the game.

This seems like a flavor thing that got way, way out of control. The product ideas and packing are super well-done and interesting but the only gameplay purpose they serve is to frustrate me when I'm trying to sell them off to fulfill my OCD to a clean backpack

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

The Grumbles posted:

Watching this whole thing unfold has been making me try and think back to the Witcher games. The Witcher 3 had a pretty buggy launch, right? Console stuff to one side, I'm trying to remember if that game was fairly broken on release? I remember it being a good year or so before The Witcher 2 was in fit shape to properly play through.

Maybe rose-tinted glasses, but in terms of like game-stopping bugs and general weirdness, Witcher 3 didn't feel nearly this buggy at launch. What is completely different is that Witcher 3 felt HORRIBLE for me to control at launch. I guess some people like the really weighty feeling, but I just remember manoeuvring around doors, trying to interact with stuff, and get in Roach just be a chore in that game until the alternative movement patch came out. I feel like Cyberpunk 2077 does guns + cars controls better than Witcher does swords + horses controls, at least at launch. The feel of shooting in the game isn't bad and I look forward to firefights more than random encounters in the Witcher.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Mr. Pool posted:

Man I just finished the Sinnerman plotline and after Joshua gets done literally dying of crucifixion by my hand, walk over to rachel and the first thing out of her mouth is "wow.... that was so hard for me...." I literally screamed at my monitor

This is the one quest that I was really pissed off about the freedom to alter the outcome. Why wasn't there an option to smoke the whole production? Dude was messed up, but was clearly being taken advantage of by media and my only option was to go along with it? This completely goes against V who seems to have no problem killing corpos without abandon.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Tenzarin posted:

So people really thought changing a number in a .csv file really did anything for preformance?

Hex editing the executable was apparently real so with this game I'll believe anything at this point with the state the game shipped in

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

To add onto this, once you get some perks in the weapons the DPS is MUCH higher than displayed in your inventory if you're holding the gun out and ready. As a primarily shotgun spec, a tech double barrel might display as 600dps in my inventory but if I have it readied it might be up around 800dps

Ahh, thank you! I thought I was hallucinating with guns changing DPS when I was comparing them - I thought it was temporary status effects or something. A bit of a ridiculous "feature" since the main purpose of DPS is comparing against other guns..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
One out of maybe 30 or 40 times I'll summon my motorcycle and it'll go rolling the OTHER way down the street just past the speed I can run, making me look like a total chump chasing a ghost bike