Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

D-Pad posted:

Movie was great. It sucks it had to come out with the pandemic where it is now. I know it had pretty good opening weekend numbers but it deserves to be a much bigger event in the zeitgeist then it is because *gestures around*

It set a new record for Labor Day weekend, what more do you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Frankly I don't know why more people aren't saying that Eternals will be the first film to have Kingo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gay relationships in American movies are censored because of Americans. Russians and Chinese do not care about it to this degree, if they did, it wouldn't matter because they could just cut the scene and release the literal children's movie as-is. It's fraught and contentious because of Americans.

:hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you look at the most contested/banned books in America throughout recent years, with the exception of 2020 like 90% of the yearly lists tend to be books with LGBT characters in them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Disney is probably gonna come to a dumb conclusion like "shooting on location was a mistake".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The impression I get from seeing the trailer a double digit amount of times at this point (I am gonna be glad when the movie is out if only because I'll stop seeing that trailer at the theaters!) is that it's a movie about posing in beige fields and also explaining why the Eternals decided not to get involved with all that Thanos stuff.

The latter of which is that specific kind of continuity cop nonsense that I think sucks!

I generally dislike MCU stuff but at least with other trailers I can understand what people are excited for. I genuinely can't get a read on this one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Simulation883 posted:

It feels like Marvel had a few chances already to bring in the multiverse earlier without much finagling, like the snap caused some interdimensional nonsense, which was Mysterio's backstory in Far From Home, but then that was shown immediately to be fake. Honestly now it's a bit confusing to me, now there are multiple timelines as we've seen in Endgame/Loki, which seems to be different from the What If...? realities, and now there's the upcoming Spiderman movie with a different type of multiverse?

Spider-man is gonna introduce us to a multiverse and then Doctor Strange is gonna show us what happens if there's a multiverse of MADNESS

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gatts posted:

Does a bear eat them all?

And what is the MCU’s obsession with comparing itself to better films and not even approaching a mediocre version of it? It’s like the execs know it’s poo poo and are hoping something rubs off on it

I can do it too. “My farts have the perfume of Gucci mixed with autumn sunsets.” and let me tell you no it doesn’t.

They've always been very self conscious which is why they gave Scorsese a call after he said he didn't like marvel movies.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

I don't think chloe zhao is known for coordinating action scenes.

They've had instances where the director doesn't even get to touch the action scenes (Black Panther most famously) so it doesn't even seem like lack of experience in that should make a difference compared to the usual standard of action scenes in the MCU.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rarity posted:

This is a godawful take cause the action is the worst part of the movie

And heck, at this point do we even know the extent to which Chloe Zhao was even involved with the action scenes?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

porfiria posted:

Hopefully Disney will take the right lessons from this and not allow the children of billionaires to direct any more movies.

I hope so but my guess is they're gonna think that filming on location was a mistake.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

He’s not wrong but he’s also Ridley scott so…you know….

Ridley Scott owns and continues to own. The Last Duel is one of the best movies so far this year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Venom 2 being a brisk 90ish minutes made it easy for me to overlook a lot of things that would have rubbed me the wrong way were it over 2 hours long. Resulted in one of the better times I've had with a recent superhero movie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

What if there were Spider-men

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everyone posted:

I skipped No Time to Die mostly because of Knives Out. Because there was just no loving way a Bond film was going to even approach the chemistry/alchemy Craig and De Armas has in that movie.

Good news: De Armas is in the best part of the movie by a mile and it works well because their chemistry is fantastic.
Bad news: She's only in it for like 15 minutes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People don't fail to choose the "abolish prisons" option because they are stupid, but because it isn't an option at all.

Yea. There's polling out there that has revealed that yeah, if you ask "What should be done with criminals, put them in prison or nothing at all?" people will overwhelmingly say the former. But if you give them a third option for something that doesn't involve imprisonment (like say, community service) then the responses will be a lot more mixed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Perhaps it’s just in the execution but I don’t see how those spoilers are any stupider than 90% of all superhero movies

heck the post credits scene being a hokey teaser for another movie sounds like most superhero post-credits scenes these days

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

That's a weird interview. The part about the Keaton role being changed due to special effects either comes across like the director is covering for the studio with the weakest excuse possible, or if that was actually the case then that's the stupidest reason ever.

The way the interview ends sure makes me think the studio changed a lot of stuff and he doesn't wanna burn any bridges.

quote:

Again, like I said when we started, I am a huge fan of Safe House. I’m huge fan of Life. I’m sure you’ve seen the reviews for this. This doesn’t feel like one of your movies and I’m curious, was this what you turned in? Is there something else? Because it feels like at some points, there’s some scenes missing. I don’t believe for a second this is what you turned in.

These movies are big ideas…

Because I think you are a very good director, and I think there are some decisions that were made that weren’t always in your hands here.

You’re very sweet. You’re very kind. I think that I work at my best if I get a lot of decision power. But, in these movies, they’re big movies that have a lot of people’s interest. It’s different processes every time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I wonder if Joss Whedon tried to edit Nick Fury out of the first Avengers movie.

Probably not because Samuel L Jackson is one of the few black actors that extremely white nerds feel comfortable liking.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Crackbone posted:

Snyder doesn’t have a cult of personality, he’s divisive because he has an incredibly strong creative vision which generates strong reactions.

heck, telling people who like his movies that they're part of a cult is a pretty dang good way to get a negative response since that's hell of a loaded term to use.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

The weirdest thing about it is if they did stick with Snyder's general plan they would have introduced their Thanos-equivalent/etc. before Infinity War came out. Like they had it perfectly laid out and blew it. Suicide Squad also though, it getting cut up a lot based on reactions to a single trailer. Like just a total lack of the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing that's completely absurd.

I will never stop being bewildered that the final cut rights for Suicide Squad went to the company that made the trailer. Utterly insane.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghosthotel posted:

love the mcus absolute dedication to taking panels direct from comic books and making them look like dogshit lol

I am actually losing my mind at how much worse that looks compared to that comic. I haven't read that comic, this is my first time seeing that page, and I am baffled even though I really shouldn't be at this point.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Someone give me the short version how cinemasins has poisoned movie discussion? I thought they were just a tongue-in-cheek youtube channel critiquing movies in the most pedantic way possible, as a joke.

Roth posted:

They are also not joking.

It's this, they have a channel for "serious" reviews that just repeat the same points brought up in their cinemasins videos.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's legitimately and unironically great. It started out as "political" Family Guy. I remember hating the pilot back in the day. But it ended up being way zanier and way funnier than it had any right to be. I don't even think there's a specific moment where it "gets good." It's just always been on a steady quality rise. Their Christmas specials are always a highlight because Christmas is a terrible time for the family. One of them is an Escape From New York parody where the Anti-Christ is basically just The Riddler.

Yeah it really improved after the first season or so when Family Guy properly came back so they could do their own thing instead of trying to be slightly different Family Guy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Doctor Strange week 2 drop-off was a similar % as Spider-man and Black Widow (in fact they're very close! All in the 67% range). I think it's just that most people who wanna watch a MCU movie in theaters wanna see it asap.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

For me, one difference is that (most) manga have an ending.

Western comic universes tend to be more of a platform, it that makes sense.

Manga tend to have a single creative that can just decide to end the series if they want.

Batman is a platform and universe to tell stories. So you’ll get 50 different interpretations of that. For better or worse, you can’t just say “I wanna read the Batman story.”

Maybe I’m the crazy one and completely wrong about this, but from my experience manga are about telling a story whereas western comics are about creating universes where people can create stories forever with no defined beginning or end to the “universe.”

There's a lot of western comics that tell a story from beginning to end and some manga that are content to never end, but by and large that's the gist of it if by western comics you mainly mean stuff that DC & Marvel puts out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

JJ is just the executive producer on it so at this point I'm not worried.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gatts posted:

Still not encouraging for me. His stuff is always disappointing.

If it was the Wachowskis I’d be hyped

Yea in this case it's more that (these days especially) I have more faith in him as a producer than a director haha.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sebmojo posted:

spiderverse is incredible, and should have been number one.

:hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo and they can't remember the characters' names or one drat thing that happened in the movie about Avatar

I've never understood the name thing. Like, dang, I have seen a lot of very excellent movies in which I wouldn't be able to give the character names of even if I had a gun to my head.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Though heck I've never even seen Avatar and even I know that the main character is named Jake Sully.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When I saw RRR in theaters they had the intermission clip but no actual intermission. Boo to that!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also gotta consider the fact that the Russos happen to have a Netflix movie coming out shortly so whether that's affecting what he's saying or not it certainly colors how that take is perceived.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Look, a showman needs a snowman. We all know this, and we've all been saying this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://buttondown.email/riteshwrit...INAsXKr2s27aYH8

This article about RRR made the rounds back when it was in theaters and it was a pro read wrt its politics.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The tax write-off argument could make sense for Batgirl which cost $90 million and could potentially cost more to make possible changes to it, but it's wild that they're also doing that with a completely finished animated Scooby-doo movie that cost less than half that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was also supposed to be an HBOMax streaming exclusive. Seems like they are killing the entire idea of HBOMax exclusive movies.

Yea. Definitely doesn't bode well!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

So does this confirm that the Venture Bros. movie is canceled?

tbh at this point I wouldn't assume anything is safe unless it gets explicitly stated. poo poo sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The new Looney Tunes stuff they made for HBO Max was pretty solid. Dunno how well it did tho.